NATION

PASSWORD

Semi Auto Rifles

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:09 pm

An SKS is a good rifle for your budget. I wouldn't advise a semi-auto for your first rifle though unless you have a good bit of firearms experience. If you want a truly great rifle, go for a Thompson-Center Encore. It's a break-action single-shot, but you're just a new barrel away from whatever caliber you want.

If your heart is set on an SKS, get an aftermarket firing pin with a spring instead of the free-floating factory version, and make DAMN sure all the cosmoline is cleaned out of the entire gun. Custom stocks are easy to install, and I'd say keep the top-fed fixed magazine. Stripper clips are just as fast as mag changes, and unless you mount a scope, that'll do just fine. In fact, it's easier to reload a clip from the top when you're shooting from the prose position.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Galla- wrote:
Surplus still cheaper by a mile than 5.56 and 5.45.

True, but Mosas is a beginner, and a lot of Soviet and Chinese ammo is corrosive.

Corrosive just means swab with a few patches doused in water.

Just adds one more step for 3x cheaper ammo.

Saurisisia wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:True, but Mosas is a beginner, and a lot of Soviet and Chinese ammo is corrosive.

Not surprising, considering they were made by militaries with a "Quantity is the best quality" attitude.

.30-06 surplus is corrosive...

It's called "that was what they had at the time".
Last edited by Galla- on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Phonencia wrote:
bastards..... I live in Tennessee and both my brothers own semi auto 30 round mag AK-47s, so, to quote part of George Strait's song,

"....That's why I hang my hat in Tennessee"
but srsly, I'd say an SKS would be pretty good, I would say AR-15, but since you're on a tight budget, you'll want an SKS. may I ask what you want this rifle for?

Just to be a bit farther ranged than my shotgun, more accurate, powerful, etc.
And for fun.

pretty good reasons if you ask me. although an SKS can come in handy for self defense.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Idaho Conservatives wrote:I swear by the Ruger Mini-14. They are not cheap, but they are about the best small-caliber rifle you will find; they are reliable and can hit anything. Comes in the scarily cheap .22 and the also cheap but barrel-burning .223. And if you've looked at bullets lately, you'll know that ammo price is everything. Also, there is a ton of mod stuff up for sale; stocks, extended clips, barrels, sights, the works. You could get the gun and then make it your own for about $700.

AKs are inexpensive rifles and are just fun as hell to shoot, but the ammo is rather spendy; one clip full will run you around $20 and a magazine goes fast.

Hmmmmm...
Considering that I've been proven wrong several times, are AKs legal now?

Don't know your state laws, but here (and our gun laws are comparatively loose) you can pick up semi-auto AKs off the shelf at any decent sporting goods store or a gun show. However, if you don't want to commit a ton of money towards a gun, you don't want an AK. Those things cost one buck every time you squeeze the trigger, and I don't know many other hobbies that run you about $10 per minute. It sounds cheesy, but get a Ruger in .22 and thank me later.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

SlavicRepublics
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SlavicRepublics » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

SKS would be a find choice, i own several of those and i can tell you they are just as reliable as an AK. its also a very customizable gun, just like an AR-15 or an AK platform. and they are really cheap too (so if you decide to go with an SKS, get a tapco and some of their 20 round mags and maybe a scope if you wish)
The Federation of Slavic Republics (FSR) is watching you!
Unity Today, Victory Tomorrow
Visitors - Everybody is welcome to live or visit the FSR or its brand new colony Khruschevistan! So get you passport ready and buy your ticket to the FSR today!

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Lord Tothe wrote:An SKS is a good rifle for your budget. I wouldn't advise a semi-auto for your first rifle though unless you have a good bit of firearms experience. If you want a truly great rifle, go for a Thompson-Center Encore(1). It's a break-action single-shot, but you're just a new barrel away from whatever caliber you want.

If your heart is set on an SKS, get an aftermarket firing pin with a spring instead of the free-floating factory version(2), and make DAMN sure all the cosmoline is cleaned out of the entire gun(3). Custom stocks are easy to install, and I'd say keep the top-fed fixed magazine(4). Stripper clips are just as fast as mag changes, and unless you mount a scope, that'll do just fine(5). In fact, it's easier to reload a clip from the top when you're shooting from the prose position.

1. Would you happen to know the cost of this gun?
2. Did not know that...
3. That, I knew.
4. I figured as much, based on the shape and design of it.
5. Due to the cost of most scopes, I won't be getting one, so I'll follow your advice on that.

Overall, thanks for the great advice. :)
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

20$ an AK Mag? wtf?

http://centerfiresystems.com/ammunition.aspx

Ill just leave this here....
Last edited by Phonencia on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

oh, and this.

Yugo 7.62x39 1000rds
Price: $189.99
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Reeziando
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reeziando » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:If cost is a factor, I'd be looking at SKSes.

Underpants

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Phonencia wrote:oh, and this.

Yugo 7.62x39 1000rds
Price: $189.99

$0.19 cents a round? Damn that's cheap.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 pm

fuck yes. that's where my bro buys ammo for his '47 and '74.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Phonencia wrote:fuck yes. that's where my bro buys ammo for his '47 and '74.

I can't blame him. Everything there is cheap. Even all the attachments. Nearly everything is under $100.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

and they ship from kentucky, so they're pretty close.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Phonencia wrote:and they ship from kentucky, so they're pretty close.

That's another good factor.

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Lord Tothe wrote:An SKS is a good rifle for your budget. I wouldn't advise a semi-auto for your first rifle though unless you have a good bit of firearms experience. If you want a truly great rifle, go for a Thompson-Center Encore(1). It's a break-action single-shot, but you're just a new barrel away from whatever caliber you want.

If your heart is set on an SKS, get an aftermarket firing pin with a spring instead of the free-floating factory version(2), and make DAMN sure all the cosmoline is cleaned out of the entire gun(3). Custom stocks are easy to install, and I'd say keep the top-fed fixed magazine(4). Stripper clips are just as fast as mag changes, and unless you mount a scope, that'll do just fine(5). In fact, it's easier to reload a clip from the top when you're shooting from the prose position.

1. Would you happen to know the cost of this gun?
2. Did not know that...
3. That, I knew.
4. I figured as much, based on the shape and design of it.
5. Due to the cost of most scopes, I won't be getting one, so I'll follow your advice on that.

Overall, thanks for the great advice. :)

I have no idea what an Encore rifle runs nowadays. I got mine second-hand for around $500 IIRC, but that was before the gun price inflation of the Obama election nationwide buying craze.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I like talking guns with meh peeps on NS.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:If cost is a factor, I'd be looking at SKSes.

^that

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:Hmmmmm...
Considering that I've been proven wrong several times, are AKs legal now?

Don't know your state laws, but here (and our gun laws are comparatively loose) you can pick up semi-auto AKs off the shelf at any decent sporting goods store or a gun show. However, if you don't want to commit a ton of money towards a gun, you don't want an AK. Those things cost one buck every time you squeeze the trigger, and I don't know many other hobbies that run you about $10 per minute. It sounds cheesy, but get a Ruger in .22 and thank me later.

Where the hell do you live?

I can get 7.62x39mm for $0.10 if I'm being cheap, and average going rate is $0.15, which is cheaper than any other surplus round besides the 7.62x54mmR. x39mm is not a .308, it is not $1 a round rifle. If you're paying more than $0.20 a round, you're paying too much.

It ain't no .22 LR, but it's just about the cheapest, actual rifle ammo you can get along with the x54mmR.
Last edited by Galla- on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Also, it might behoove you to check out nearby gun dealerships. That way you can feel the gun in person, and you might find something cheap there. Besides, they might have a deal.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 am

Galla- wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:True, but Mosas is a beginner, and a lot of Soviet and Chinese ammo is corrosive.

Corrosive just means swab with a few patches doused in water.

Just adds one more step for 3x cheaper ammo.

Saurisisia wrote:Not surprising, considering they were made by militaries with a "Quantity is the best quality" attitude.

.30-06 surplus is corrosive...

It's called "that was what they had at the time".

There's plenty of non-corrosive .30-06 ammo out there. In fact, it was almost completely phased out by 1955.

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/docs/ ... rRedux.pdf

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Galla- wrote:

I can get 7.62x39mm for $0.10 if I'm being cheap, and average going rate is $0.15, which is cheaper than any other surplus round besides the 7.62x54mmR. x39mm is not a .308, it is not $1 a round rifle. If you're paying more than $0.20 a round, you're paying too much.

It ain't no .22 LR, but it's just about the cheapest, actual rifle ammo you can get along with the x54mmR.

You have to buy a shitload of rounds to get that kind of bulk price, and I just don't shoot often enough to justify buying a thousand bullets in one caliber, unless it's the ungodly cheap .22. Big difference between buying a hundred bullets and a thousand bullets. And now that you say it, it may have been a box of 50 bullets instead of 20 (that's what I get for posting up at 10:30), but that's still a lot more spendy than the .22; those you can get a brick of 500 for around $15 and before the Obama gun spike as low as $8. If you are shooting paper targets at an indoor range, you aren't losing much of anything between a .22 and a 7.62 anyway.

And also, I'm not sure where you are planning to buy from, but I beg of you, DO NOT buy a gun at Cabela's! Their gun prices are the most ridiculous and offensive I have ever seen. I've seen some rifles there for $400 that cost $130 at a local gun show, and some Mauser 98s that looked like someone had let their dog chew on the stock for $250. Most chain stores have decent prices, and usually the smaller and more local you get, the better the deals to be had. Just avoid Cabela's at all costs.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 pm

my bro has a Mauser 98K. it's awesome.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Galla- wrote:

You have to buy a shitload of rounds to get that kind of bulk price, and I just don't shoot often enough to justify buying a thousand bullets in one caliber, unless it's the ungodly cheap .22. Big difference between buying a hundred bullets and a thousand bullets. And now that you say it, it may have been a box of 50 bullets instead of 20 (that's what I get for posting up at 10:30), but that's still a lot more spendy than the .22; those you can get a brick of 500 for around $15 and before the Obama gun spike as low as $8. If you are shooting paper targets at an indoor range, you aren't losing much of anything between a .22 and a 7.62 anyway.

And also, I'm not sure where you are planning to buy from, but I beg of you, DO NOT buy a gun at Cabela's! Their gun prices are the most ridiculous and offensive I have ever seen. I've seen some rifles there for $400 that cost $130 at a local gun show, and some Mauser 98s that looked like someone had let their dog chew on the stock for $250. Most chain stores have decent prices, and usually the smaller and more local you get, the better the deals to be had. Just avoid Cabela's at all costs.

I saw a Mosin for $200 at Cabela's xd

and I always buy my ammo bulk cuz of cheap prices. I never buy them in store, unless we're talking on sale .22 LR and that's it |:

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/s ... /ammo.html best site

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't know too much at the moment(i've been studying handguns for the past month so my rifle knowledge is locked somewhere in my head where i must review it again so i can give better answer) but i can accurately tell you that the SKS seems to be a good choice for you as a semi-auto(plus such russian designs tend to be a bit more reliable).
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 pm

You can't have FNs and AKs in Florida? Fascists, *shakes head*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General