NATION

PASSWORD

Compensation for dead soldiers in US

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Norstate
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Compensation for dead soldiers in US

Postby Norstate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 pm

How much does the US government pay to the family of deceased soldier? I've heard that it's something like $250,000 if the soldier had insurance. I've also heard that it's $100,000. Could someone enlighten me?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Norstate wrote:How much does the US government pay to the family of deceased soldier? I've heard that it's something like $250,000 if the soldier had insurance. I've also heard that it's $100,000. Could someone enlighten me?

My life insurance from the Army is $400,000. The government will also pay for the funeral and support any dependents of the deceased.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Tinapples
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tinapples » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Whoa, I've never heard of that. I'm not sure though, but my personal belief on the subject is the family should get a very large amount of tax exemption. Thats if he's a husband and/or father. If he's just someones son or daughter then the parents shouldn't get exemption status. Unless he worked on some kind of subsistence project or lifestyle with his parents. Such as if he worked on a farm, and not if he was just an employee but if he was working as a child to the family and so was working more out of responsibility than anything.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Norstate wrote:How much does the US government pay to the family of deceased soldier? I've heard that it's something like $250,000 if the soldier had insurance. I've also heard that it's $100,000. Could someone enlighten me?

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sglisite/sg ... emiums.htm
Serviceman's group life insurance covers between 0 and 400,000 depending on how much the serviceman chooses to get. Most choose the max. It is a pain int he but not to get the max or not to be covered, it took me about 2 months of paperwork to get them to withdraw me from the plan.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Return to General