NATION

PASSWORD

Running!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Republicke
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 pm

I had so hoped this thread would be a disheveled member of NSG hastily seeking advice on how to avoid the authorities and flee to Mexico - I had my The Fugitive quote prepared and everything.

I wouldn't even have minded if the Attorney General had prosecuted us; charging the entirety of this forum as accessories or for aiding and abetting would have been incredible. Plus, I've always wanted to see the "United States vs. NSG" as a matter of public record.

We could throw together a makeshift defense, possibly the first time "Source?" will have been uttered in a court of law.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for truth."
- B. Disraeli

Bramborska wrote:Muscular liberalism? He took my gay stripper name!

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Good Germans wrote:I usually only run in school, when I absolutely have to. I hate running.

Walking is nice. Sitting on a couch is better.

You can do plenty of exercise on a couch.

*nods*
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Potarius wrote:
Good Germans wrote:I usually only run in school, when I absolutely have to. I hate running.

Walking is nice. Sitting on a couch is better.

*nods*

That's a proven fact.
If you insult me, would I care? Should I care? Why should I care? If I do care, I may do something terrible to you, or I'll dropkick you with my fist.
The Official Post Stalker of North Orus

Guide to War
The Roman Republic of Cristantle

Pope of NSG
I am the premier ninja of F7!
If you need help on NS, telegram me and I will give you advice.

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

*nods*

That's a proven fact.

Especially at a party after lots and lots of drinking.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:That's a proven fact.

I'll drink to that!

I can now run my 10miles before taking a break.
If you insult me, would I care? Should I care? Why should I care? If I do care, I may do something terrible to you, or I'll dropkick you with my fist.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

I'll drink to that!

I used to bike about 20 miles before doing so. I rode every day for about three hours on average... Fuck, I had outstanding cardio back then.

Can't do that these days. I'm sure if I start training again, I can get back up there.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:I'll drink to that!

I used to bike about 20 miles before doing so. I rode every day for about three hours on average... Fuck, I had outstanding cardio back then.

Can't do that these days. I'm sure if I start training again, I can get back up there.

Well, once I get to shape how I was before my knee injury, I could run for about 12 miles before stopping. Before I thought about MMA, I biked for a little. I'ed probably go biking on Saturdays all day. Few breaks. Feel the burn!
Last edited by Christantle on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm on the track team at my school...I also run at least 6 km or so a week...

So yes I run...a little...but I run...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

Well, once I get to shape how I was before my knee injury, I could run for about 12 miles before stopping. Before I thought about MMA, I biked for a little. I'ed probably go biking on Saturdays all day. Few breaks. Feel the burn!

I used to ride my 21-speed on the highest gear and torque setting without sitting down for at least an hour when I'd get my burn on. My legs are still huge from it (incidentally, that's the only part of my body that's been able to stay in shape with little focus).

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:Well, once I get to shape how I was before my knee injury, I could run for about 12 miles before stopping. Before I thought about MMA, I biked for a little. I'ed probably go biking on Saturdays all day. Few breaks. Feel the burn!

I used to ride my 21-speed on the highest gear and torque setting without sitting down for at least an hour when I'd get my burn on. My legs are still huge from it (incidentally, that's the only part of my body that's been able to stay in shape with little focus).

I still bike some these days. Got a trusty 21-speed. My legs are farely big from alot of running I've been doing.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

I still bike some these days. Got a trusty 21-speed. My legs are farely big from alot of running I've been doing.

I didn't really think all the exercising I did that way would come very much in handy, but it did one time when I was out riding.

Two punk-ass 16-year-olds in a Dodge Stratus tried to run me off the road so I'd hit a stop sign head-on. I accelerated in front of them, barely dodged the stop sign, and flipped them off. They wanted to start something with me from the beginning, so they turned around in the local convenience store's parking lot and sped toward me very quickly. I stopped in an apartment parking lot near my street so I could see what they had to say, which wasn't much of anything. "Why'd you flip us off, you little shit?" --- Incidentally, I was *much* bigger than either of them, and much older. I don't think they quite processed this since I was sitting on my bike when they "confronted" me. I very gently told them that they had it coming because they tried to run me into a stop sign, to which they responded "That's why you stop at the signs, fucker". Seeing where this was going, I quickly said "I work 40 hours a week. You're not worth it. I don't want to ruin your day." --- So, the passenger, the 5'4" twirp, got out of the car and tried to run up to me to throw me off my bike. Since I could accelerate so quickly, I just started riding circles around their car (the funny part is, the kid who was driving seemed to be laughing nonstop). Anyway, passenger twirp tried throwing his Blackberry at me, but he missed by about ten feet to the right, so I let out a big laugh, flipped them off, and rocketed down my street. Their all-powerful Stratus actually took a while to catch up to me; by the time it did, I was at the stop sign at the end of my street. I flipped them off again, took a right, went into a ditch to my left, flipped them off again, doubled around, got back on my street and just went home. I could hear them zooming around and shouting for about ten minutes thereafter; they had no idea where I went off to, and they were pissed that they didn't so much as hit me. The day after, I was at work pushing shopping carts out on the parking lot, and the two dipshits had been shopping at the time; I saw them coming out to their car, and I had a train of twelve carts. I pushed them very close by the car, took off my sunglasses, looked both of them head-on and said "How's it going, guys?". The twirpy one looked like he almost swallowed his tongue; they both obviously recognised me.

So yes, people. Strong legs can help you get out of a bind, not to mention make some funny-ass memories.
Last edited by Potarius on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:I still bike some these days. Got a trusty 21-speed. My legs are farely big from alot of running I've been doing.

I didn't really think all the exercising I did that way would come very much in handy, but it did one time when I was out riding.

Two punk-ass 16-year-olds in a Dodge Stratus tried to run me off the road so I'd hit a stop sign head-on. I accelerated in front of them, barely dodged the stop sign, and flipped them off. They wanted to start something with me from the beginning, so they turned around in the local convenience store's parking lot and sped toward me very quickly. I stopped in an apartment parking lot near my street so I could see what they had to say, which wasn't much of anything. "Why'd you flip us off, you little shit?" --- Incidentally, I was *much* bigger than either of them, and much older. I don't think they quite processed this since I was sitting on my bike when they "confronted" me. I very gently told them that they had it coming because they tried to run me into a stop sign, to which they responded "That's why you stop at the signs, fucker". Seeing where this was going, I quickly said "I work 40 hours a week. You're not worth it. I don't want to ruin your day." --- So, the passenger, the 5'4" twirp, got out of the car and tried to run up to me to throw me off my bike. Since I could accelerate so quickly, I just started riding circles around their car (the funny part is, the kid who was driving seemed to be laughing nonstop). Anyway, passenger twirp tried throwing his Blackberry at me, but he missed by about ten feet to the right, so I let out a big laugh, flipped them off, and rocketed down my street. Their all-powerful Stratus actually took a while to catch up to me; by the time it did, I was at the stop sign at the end of my street. I flipped them off again, took a right, went into a ditch to my left, flipped them off again, doubled around, got back on my street and just went home. I could hear them zooming around and shouting for about ten minutes thereafter; they had no idea where I went off to, and they were pissed that they didn't so much as hit me.

So yes, people. Strong legs can help you get out of a bind, not to mention make some funny-ass memories.

The Pope Endorses this statement.
I've had a similar experience, but it didn't end good for them.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

Two punk-ass 16-year-olds in a Dodge Stratus tried to run me off the road so I'd hit a stop sign head-on. I accelerated in front of them, barely dodged the stop sign, and flipped them off. They wanted to start something with me from the beginning, so they turned around in the local convenience store's parking lot and sped toward me very quickly. I stopped in an apartment parking lot near my street so I could see what they had to say, which wasn't much of anything. "Why'd you flip us off, you little shit?" --- Incidentally, I was *much* bigger than either of them, and much older. I don't think they quite processed this since I was sitting on my bike when they "confronted" me. I very gently told them that they had it coming because they tried to run me into a stop sign, to which they responded "That's why you stop at the signs, fucker". Seeing where this was going, I quickly said "I work 40 hours a week. You're not worth it. I don't want to ruin your day." --- So, the passenger, the 5'4" twirp, got out of the car and tried to run up to me to throw me off my bike. Since I could accelerate so quickly, I just started riding circles around their car (the funny part is, the kid who was driving seemed to be laughing nonstop). Anyway, passenger twirp tried throwing his Blackberry at me, but he missed by about ten feet to the right, so I let out a big laugh, flipped them off, and rocketed down my street. Their all-powerful Stratus actually took a while to catch up to me; by the time it did, I was at the stop sign at the end of my street. I flipped them off again, took a right, went into a ditch to my left, flipped them off again, doubled around, got back on my street and just went home. I could hear them zooming around and shouting for about ten minutes thereafter; they had no idea where I went off to, and they were pissed that they didn't so much as hit me.

The Pope Endorses this statement.

Had I not worked 40 hours a week for five months straight, it would've turned out differently. I get a monstrous temper and intense adrenaline rush when people like that decide to do something so erroneous. My initial reflex was to get off my bike, pick it up, and throw it at their car --- but I was just too worn out.

I mean, come on. The little twirp couldn't even hit me with a Blackberry from five feet away.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:The Pope Endorses this statement.

Had I not worked 40 hours a week for five months straight, it would've turned out differently. I get a monstrous temper and intense adrenaline rush when people like that decide to do something so erroneous. My initial reflex was to get off my bike, pick it up, and throw it at their car --- but I was just too worn out.

I mean, come on. The little twirp couldn't even hit me with a Blackberry from five feet away.

But when he attempted to run me off the road, I stopped, gave him the finger, he got out and asked why I did that, and I replied;
"Why the hell did you attempt to run me off the road with that shitty ass piece of junk?" Then he got angry because I called his car junk. He then threw a right hook at me, but I ducked and punched him square in the jaw. His name was Daniel I believe? After that, I spit on his car and rode away.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

But when he attempted to run me off the road, I stopped, gave him the finger, he got out and asked why I did that, and I replied;
"Why the hell did you attempt to run me off the road with that shitty ass piece of junk?" Then he got angry because I called his car junk. He then threw a right hook at me, but I ducked and punched him square in the jaw. His name was Daniel I believe? After that, I spit on his car and rode away.

See, you have control. On the rare occasion I throw a punch at or kick somebody, I don't let up. It's like a Viking berserker rage, complete with the unintelligible yelling and scarlet red face.

Incidentally, the only person I've ever done that to is my older brother. Oddly enough, it took several times of that happening for him to stop hitting me for no fucking reason.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:But when he attempted to run me off the road, I stopped, gave him the finger, he got out and asked why I did that, and I replied;

See, you have control. On the rare occasion I throw a punch at or kick somebody, I don't let up. It's like a Viking berserker rage, complete with the unintelligible yelling and scarlet red face.

Incidentally, the only person I've ever done that to is my older brother. Oddly enough, it took several times of that happening for him to stop hitting me for no fucking reason.

Well I have control because I've been trained in MMA. This happened recently before I joined NS.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

Well I have control because I've been trained in MMA. This happened recently before I joined NS.

That's one reason I want to train in MMA. Big boost in fighting discipline.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:Well I have control because I've been trained in MMA. This happened recently before I joined NS.

Exactly.

Tomorrow morning, at 6:30, I am going to run about 7 miles, to train for an upcoming fight for my comeback. I can give a few pointers in training of MMA.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Christantle wrote:
Potarius wrote:

Exactly.

Tomorrow morning, at 6:30, I am going to run about 7 miles, to train for an upcoming fight for my comeback. I can give a few pointers in training of MMA.

I'll take all the pointers I can get.

One thing, though: I have long legs, so I like to kick and use legs to wrap up on the ground. Not that I can't do anything with my arms, but my upper body pales in comparison to the legs of gold. I figure, why not go with my strengths?

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I used to run. I loved it. Too many years and too many smokes keeps me from running now.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Christantle
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christantle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Potarius wrote:
Christantle wrote:Exactly.

I'll take all the pointers I can get.

One thing, though: I have long legs, so I like to kick and use legs to wrap up on the ground. Not that I can't do anything with my arms, but my upper body pales in comparison to the legs of gold. I figure, why not go with my strengths?

Just tg me any questions to avoid any spam on this thread.

Guide to War

Pope of NSG

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 29, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 pm

I was on the track team in HS, running the 440, 880 and mile , as well as hurdles and high jump. But a car wreck has done in the knees, and a sedentary lifestyle has done in the stamina. I walk a fair bit, since I don't have a car and live over a mile from the nearest bus stop. But I have noticed myself getting lazy and spending more money at 7-11 instead of walking to the grocery store. Need to get back on the ball. It's just too easy to start packing on the pounds at my age.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Flat feet, so I can't run past a short sprint. My feet start killing me after walking 3-4 miles, really. I do enjoy biking though.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Spitfyred1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spitfyred1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:I'm on the track team at my school...I also run at least 6 km or so a week...

So yes I run...a little...but I run...

6km a week? What are you, a sprinter?
For distance runners we average 6 miles a day.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Smunkeeville wrote:My youngest is in track. I go out running with her 2 times a week (her dad does the other two) so that she can stay in shape for her meets. I'm fat and slow. Also, I have a bad foot and a bad knee so I can't really do as much.

I'm pulling like a 14 minute mile. It's not great. I'm not losing any weight either and that pisses me off. Running stinks.

If you want to keep your kid company (and presumably, keep her safe) without running with her, why not bike beside her? It's a lot easier on the knees and feet to pedal than to hit the pavement. It might also end up better for losing a bit of weight because you'll be able to do more and go further (and faster).

I don't think that weight loss from just exercise is particularly fast. I might have lost 1lb this week... but that's it. Part of that might be eating in a non-atrocious manner too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General