NATION

PASSWORD

Gingrich and Bachmann to Address Anti-Gay Hate Organization.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Gingrich and Bachmann to Address Anti-Gay Hate Organization.

Postby Sorratsin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Likely presidential candidates Michele Bachmann and Newt Gingrich are slated to address the Minnesota Family Council’s annual “Reconnecting Faith, Family and Freedom” fundraiser. Andy Birkey of the Minnesota Independent reports that the event will “be held May 17 at the Minneapolis Hilton. Tickets are $100.” In the invitation, Gingrich lauds the MFC for “vigorously defending our God-given freedom in our communities, schools, at the Capitol and the ballot box” and asks people to “join me and Congresswoman Michele Bachmann in rediscovering God and the vital role of faith and family in our American freedoms.”

The MFC is the state’s leading Religious Right group and has increasingly become one of the most strident opponents of anti-bullying bills. Tom Prichard, the MFC’s president, maintained that LGBT youth commit suicide because they live an “unhealthy lifestyle” and that anti-bullying programs are ways to have children “indoctrinated in homosexuality.” Prichard also criticized Gay Straight Alliances, saying “it’s sad and harmful for kids to celebrate homosexuality when in fact it’s not a healthy lifestyle;” he went on to claim that Matthew Shepard’s murder wasn’t a hate crime and that his “death served an important ideological purpose for homosexual activists.”

The MFC’s Barb Anderson told anti-gay activist Peter LaBarbera that “the greatest threat to our freedom and to the health and well-being of our children is from this radical homosexual agenda which is just so pervasive” and that she considers it “a badge of honor to be called a hate group.” Anderson also blamed supporters of gay rights for school bullying, saying that they “are the ones that are contributing to an atmosphere that can even increase bullying as more kids get into this kind of a lifestyle” and that “homosexual behavior is one of the most hazardous behaviors that kids could get into and start practicing.”

Anderson also warned of “targeted” students and that “pro-gay training[s]” are coming “like a tsunami.” In January, the organization hosted a legislative summit with pseudo-historian David Barton featuring courses on “Bullying bills: The homosexual agenda in your child’s public school.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/b ... hate-group

So two very likely Republican presidential candidates have now thrown their lot in with batshit insane homintern conspiracy theorists. People who think homosexuality is contagious and that it's fine to bully LGBTQ kids because they're evil.

It isn't particularly surprising that Republican presidential hopefuls would side with homophobic organizations, but the MFC goes above and beyond homophobia, they're practically the Taliban.

How do you think this will pan out for the GOP? Will this help mobilize the moral majority or will it be too much for them to stomach? Has the Republican party jumped the shark?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 pm

The Republicans jumped the shark long ago. We're just waiting for the ratings to catch up.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

maybe it will help these 2 collect up money. it wont help them get elected.

with the republicans attacking old people--those most likely to be interested in attacking gay rights--they are going to have a hard time getting the votes they need to keep what they have let alone take the whitehouse.
whatever

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Wait: Gay people don't hold secret meetings to decide women's fashions for the next year? I am disappoint.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:Wait: Gay people don't hold secret meetings to decide women's fashions for the next year? I am disappoint.

I don't think those meetings are all that secret, I'm assuming they just happen at that absolutely fabulous new restaurant that opened in the Village, darling.

Also, I sort of see their point about anti-gay bullying programs indoctrinating children, depending on what they say. If they say "You should accept gay people because there's nothing wrong with them" that's questionable, since some kids' religions might object to that idea. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly fine with "If you don't like gay people, at least keep your damn mouth shut about it if you like not getting expelled."

Nobody should be forced or expected to accept anyone else. But everybody should be expected to tolerate people of other races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, genders, etc.

Difference:

Acceptance: I am perfectly okay with what you do.
Tolerance: I am not going to bother you about what you do.

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Has the Republican party jumped the shark?

The shark was jumped when Lincoln was killed.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Siorafrica wrote:The shark was jumped when Lincoln was killed.

How dare you not like TR, Coolidge, or Ike!

What kind of monster are you? :blink:
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

West Guiana
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guiana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Republicans hating gays, am I supposed to be shocked?
Wiki--Factbook
NSCF III Quarter Finalist, WLC XII Quarter Finalist

GO PACK GO

Azbaga
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azbaga » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Siorafrica wrote:The shark was jumped when Lincoln was killed.

How dare you not like TR, Coolidge, or Ike!

All three were genocidal maniacs who should have been shot.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Azbaga wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:How dare you not like TR, Coolidge, or Ike!

All three were genocidal maniacs who should have been shot.

...What?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Azbaga wrote:All three were genocidal maniacs who should have been shot.

How so?

Shalrirorchia
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Shalrirorchia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Sorratsin wrote:
Prichard also criticized Gay Straight Alliances, saying “it’s sad and harmful for kids to celebrate homosexuality when in fact it’s not a healthy lifestyle;” [b]he went on to claim that Matthew Shepard’s murder wasn’t a hate crime and that his “death served an important ideological purpose for homosexual activists.”

Healthy lifestyle? Okay, first it's not a "lifestyle choice". Furthermore, "unhealthy" implies something that is considered to be psychopathological in nature, but homosexuality is not recognized as a disorder in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Which leads me to the comment about Matt Shepard.

Matthew Shepard's death was a tragedy, Mr. Prichard. I don't expect you to understand that, because I have a sneaking suspicion that in your heart of hearts, you don't really think of Shepard or any other gay person as a human being worthy of compassion and respect. If there was a political or ideological significance to Shepard's death, it was not because of "homosexual activists". It was the result of the unbridled shock and horror of the entire nation when the facts of the case were reported to us.

Matthew Shepard was someone's son, Mr. Prichard. It is disgusting and reprehensible that you should suggest that what happened to him was exploited for political purposes...especially considering that anti-gay activists protested at Shepard's funeral. Would you consider THOSE people to have been "ideologically motivated"? People that I knew, people who were not otherwise sympathetic to the gay rights movement, were stunned by that protest. It was beyond the pale. It violated every shred of human decency that should be extended to other people in such tragic circumstances. It was a disgrace then, and it remains a disgrace now. Something is deeply wrong in this country when we start looking at people and seeing ideological points instead of human beings.

I will borrow a phrase from Welch (from the McCarthy hearings) that sums the whole situation up in a nutshell:

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?
There comes a time in the drama that is The Nation where a realization is made; the realization that the State is not only there to serve the privileged few, but indeed the entirety of society. Though certain reactionary elements kick and scream as they are dragged into modernity, the overarching theme of civilization is one of constant progress and improvement, of triumph over old superstitions and the empowerment of the individual over the collective.
-President Shanu Aeri, The Pacitalian Treatise

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General