NATION

PASSWORD

Why Barack Obama and the Democrats Don't Deserve Re-Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Shalrirorchia wrote:That's probably correct, but I simply wish to point out that he's not a very good politician. :)

Going hard-line like the Republicans are would only make the situation worse. The more he tries to compromise, the more moderates the Democratic party will draw in.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

I agree with the OP about many of the things he said, but however what is the alternative? All GOP? I would never support that.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Why Barack Obama and the Democrats Don't Deserve Re-Elec

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 pm

I'd love to see a more aggressive strategy in Washington, but a large part of the problem lies with a Beltway culture that indoctrinates everyone into believing that, politically speaking, the GOP always possesses the upper hand at the ballot box. Thus, Republicans act like assholes because they believe that they are always working from a position of strength (as the Beltway press and self-styled "experts" all tell them); likewise, the Democrats act like wimps because they believe that the are always working from a position of weakness (as the Beltway press and self-styled "experts" all tell them).

Thus, the Democratic base gets no respect. The Party leadership and the Beltway crowd pretend like there really isn't a Democratic base; they pretend that Democratic voters are few in number and disinclined to vote, while Republicans are a massive, angry mob ready to set Washington alight. The polling numbers do not support this view any more than the data does, but that is the pocket universe within which Washington operates.

As long as this is true - as long as these are the perceptions that shape Washington politics - then you will continue to see a world of raging Republicans and cringing Democrats.

Is there hope? Yes. The continuing rightward movement of the GOP will not stop, but sooner or later the GOP will alienate too many voters to survive. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the majority of Americans wish that the Confederacy had won the civil war, that we were ruled completely by a wealthy elite, that our wages should be reduced to Third World levels, and that the future options of everyone who isn't born with a sliver spoon in his mouth (and yes, the male pronoun is intended here) should be sharply constrained. If the GOP nominates someone like Bachman to run against Obama and then gets wiped in November of 2012 (which is quite possible), and then does what it always does in the wake of any defeat and moves further to the right, the political landscape post-2012 will look very, very different. An unelectable Republican rump will no longer be able to compete politically against a moderate Democratic party whose impulse is towards "big-picture" conciliation.

And if they double down on that defeat by attempting to rectify their loss with an ill-considered attempt at a Second Amendment Remedy (which, while not probable, is still not so unlikely as to be beyond the realm of possibility), we could very well find ourselves in an entirely new political world, at the dawn of the Seventh Party System - which I guarantee will look nothing like the six that came before it.
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Shalrirorchia
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Shalrirorchia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:I'd love to see a more aggressive strategy in Washington, but a large part of the problem lies with a Beltway culture that indoctrinates everyone into believing that, politically speaking, the GOP always possesses the upper hand at the ballot box. Thus, Republicans act like assholes because they believe that they are always working from a position of strength (as the Beltway press and self-styled "experts" all tell them); likewise, the Democrats act like wimps because they believe that the are always working from a position of weakness (as the Beltway press and self-styled "experts" all tell them).

Thus, the Democratic base gets no respect. The Party leadership and the Beltway crowd pretend like there really isn't a Democratic base; they pretend that Democratic voters are few in number and disinclined to vote, while Republicans are a massive, angry mob ready to set Washington alight. The polling numbers do not support this view any more than the data does, but that is the pocket universe within which Washington operates.

As long as this is true - as long as these are the perceptions that shape Washington politics - then you will continue to see a world of raging Republicans and cringing Democrats.

Is there hope? Yes. The continuing rightward movement of the GOP will not stop, but sooner or later the GOP will alienate too many voters to survive. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the majority of Americans wish that the Confederacy had won the civil war, that we were ruled completely by a wealthy elite, that our wages should be reduced to Third World levels, and that the future options of everyone who isn't born with a sliver spoon in his mouth (and yes, the male pronoun is intended here) should be sharply constrained. If the GOP nominates someone like Bachman to run against Obama and then gets wiped in November of 2012 (which is quite possible), and then does what it always does in the wake of any defeat and moves further to the right, the political landscape post-2012 will look very, very different. An unelectable Republican rump will no longer be able to compete politically against a moderate Democratic party whose impulse is towards "big-picture" conciliation.

And if they double down on that defeat by attempting to rectify their loss with an ill-considered attempt at a Second Amendment Remedy (which, while not probable, is still not so unlikely as to be beyond the realm of possibility), we could very well find ourselves in an entirely new political world, at the dawn of the Seventh Party System - which I guarantee will look nothing like the six that came before it.

While I would not be so arrogant as to assume that my own experiences represent a broader pattern in political culture, I think that they might be enlightening nonetheless.

I used to work for a manager who was a staunch Republican. Believed the whole platform from top to bottom. In my experience with that manager (and others like him), the Republicans seem to believe in doctrinal, universal absolutes. There's right, there's wrong, and there's never any question about which is which. Some of our most hotly-contested discussions occurred when I challenged the notion of an absolute on one topic or another. This phenomenon is not only evident in rank-and-file conservatives; listen to Rush Limbaugh for a little bit. The man presents all sorts of absolutist judgments every single day.

A lot of Republicans are very religious folks. Even for those who are not, there seems to be a doctrine that is adhered to LIKE a religion. This sort of clearly-defined order has been obvious in Republican presidential contests over the past couple of decades; the Republicans often have a candidate whose "turn" it is considered to be. Republican national politics often appear to be far more tightly controlled and organized than their Democratic opposites. I've worked for a Democratic political group before...there were all sorts of broad differences in opinion and all sorts of disagreements. What's more, the disagreements are -expected- in the Democratic fold. The Democratic base is very diverse, and we pretty much expect disagreement. It's not like what the Republicans are going through, now. Right now, the Tea Party is engaging in purification, mounting primary challenges against any Republican candidate who isn't conservative enough to satisfy them.

The Democrats and the Republicans are two very different groups of people, and the differences between them just keep growing wider because the Republicans keep scooting to the right.
There comes a time in the drama that is The Nation where a realization is made; the realization that the State is not only there to serve the privileged few, but indeed the entirety of society. Though certain reactionary elements kick and scream as they are dragged into modernity, the overarching theme of civilization is one of constant progress and improvement, of triumph over old superstitions and the empowerment of the individual over the collective.
-President Shanu Aeri, The Pacitalian Treatise

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Weather the Democrats deserve to win may be a moot point, as the Tea Party now seems determined to hurt themselves by picking a fight with the AARP.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Previous

Return to General