NATION

PASSWORD

MEP's vote keep disgusting perks and salary's.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:19 pm

The Matthew Islands wrote:Ah, so MEP's are completely justified in taking Business class flights

yes actually, debatably wasteful as it may be it can be expected when an individual must perform such duties regularly as part of their job they will fly business class.

If we are going this way how about we look at UKIP's MEP's which have been previously involved in embezzlement

The Matthew Islands wrote:earning about 20K more than a British MP and voting against savings of up to 20 million pounds while calling for austerity in member nations?

1) actually MEP's having greater salary is a fucking lie.
2) 20 million pounds...

The Matthew Islands wrote:Also, the individual MEP's aren't elected.

MEP elections are handled by the nation in question ergo Britain makes up its own rules in the election of its MEP's which is an anomaly we have made of our own choosing

The Matthew Islands wrote:The party is elected, we don't get a say in who our individual MEP is unless operating an open list system. I am not sure which parties do in the UK.

none do

The Matthew Islands wrote:You also didn't answer my question. I said what do they do not what are they. Although I have kind of answered my own question after looking around after typing that...

They represent you in European parliament

REALLY?
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Davids Conglomerates
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Davids Conglomerates » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:25 pm

So let me get this straight.

The guys who get to decide where all the money goes decide that they want all the money, and you're surprised?

It's not rocket science. They can do what they like. Why care about the peons when you can sit in your ivory tower arguing with each other and enjoying the finer things in life all day?

Yeah, a bit of an extreme view I have going on, but I wanted to highlight that you're only going to cut your own wages when you REALLY have to.
Last edited by Davids Conglomerates on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Call to power
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Lordieth wrote:It's political vote-buying that concerns me. Prisoners have a biased outlook that politicians could use to gain votes. They aren't in society, so why should they get a vote?

the ECHR is not the EU.

You are just embarrassing yourself here

Lordieth wrote:I have no say. None. We have no say about being in the EU, and no say in the laws it passes.

you do and if you want to cry about the ECHR you can vote for one of the Banana parties that support such a thing not that the British supreme court will care if Britain leaves the ECHR or arguably the House of Lords either
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Call to power wrote:
Lordieth wrote:It's political vote-buying that concerns me. Prisoners have a biased outlook that politicians could use to gain votes. They aren't in society, so why should they get a vote?

the ECHR is not the EU.

You are just embarrassing yourself here

Lordieth wrote:I have no say. None. We have no say about being in the EU, and no say in the laws it passes.

you do and if you want to cry about the ECHR you can vote for one of the Banana parties that support such a thing not that the British supreme court will care if Britain leaves the ECHR or arguably the House of Lords either

If I am wrong, explain why and correct me, I'm more than capable of understanding. I'm not ignorant. How about losing the condescending attitude though? Hardly embarrasses me to be wrong. I can take being wrong, it's you that has the problem with it.
Last edited by Lordieth on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Lordieth wrote:If I am wrong, explain why and correct me, I'm more than capable of understanding. I'm not ignorant. How about losing the condescending attitude though? Hardly embarrasses me to be wrong. I can take being wrong, it's you that has the problem with it.

It's not the EU that says prisoners should have voting rights. Nothing to do with them

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:59 pm

The European Court of Human Rights. My mistake. I'll be sure to become more informed on the matter.

Call to power
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Lordieth wrote:If I am wrong, explain why and correct me, I'm more than capable of understanding.

well I just did so like Booyakasha and all that

Lordieth wrote:I'm not ignorant.

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).

Lordieth wrote:How about losing the condescending attitude though? Hardly embarrasses me to be wrong. I can take being wrong, it's you that has the problem with it.

your embarrassing yourself here further, look if you actually care about the EU and want to know more visit Europa and be sure to take an extra hard look at the criticisms you attempt to peddle

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:16 pm

I'd be happy to check the link. Thanks. You're being a tad pedantic with the definition of ignorance though. The rest I concede to.

The Deleted Chris
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deleted Chris » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Helertia wrote:
The Deleted Chris wrote:No shit. Hopefully one more drain on British public faith in the EU.

And one more drain on the British public faith in representative democracy.

Because the EU has such regard for the nation-state and national democracies?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General