NATION

PASSWORD

Greatest Mythical Monster/Villain?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greatest Mythical Monster/Villain?

Cronus (Greek)
13%
Minotaur (Greek)
6%
Cyclops (Greek)
No votes
Loki (Norse)
26%
Devadatta (Buddhist)
No votes
Mara (Buddhist)
3%
Antichrist (Christian)
29%
The Devil (Abrahamic)
19%
Pharaoh Ramses II (Jewish)
3%
Iblis (Muslim)
No votes

Total votes : 31

German Nazi Powers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby German Nazi Powers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Okay,so the top 5 villains here are:
1.Antichrist
2.Loki
3.Minotaur/Cronus
4.Mara/Ramses
5.Iblis/Devadatta/The Devil/Cyclops

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Gotta go with Loki.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:43 pm

German Nazi Powers wrote:Okay,so the top 5 villains here are:
1.Antichrist
2.Loki
3.Minotaur/Cronus
4.Mara/Ramses

Dragons!
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:43 pm

SaintB wrote:
1.Antichrist
2.Loki
3.Minotaur/Cronus
4.Mara/Ramses

Dragons!

Yep.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Yahweh Sabaoth

This mythical Bronze-age warrior deity continues to haunt us.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm

1.Antichrist
2.Loki
3.Minotaur/Cronus
4.Mara/Ramses

Loki isn't a villain, dammit....

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
1.Antichrist
2.Loki
3.Minotaur/Cronus
4.Mara/Ramses

Isn't he the catalyst for Ragnarok? On the other hand I've heard it was an accident...

As was killing his brother(?).
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Oterro wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Isn't he the catalyst for Ragnarok? On the other hand I've heard it was an accident...

If anything Fenrir is the catalyst for Ragnarok. Loki is just siding with his children and wife. I don't remember anything about Loki killing his brother.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Oterro wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Odin made the Ragnarok inevitable the moment he traded his eye to drink from the Well of Mimir. He gained prescience, but it was the vision of a one-eyed man; one sided and unbalanced. In fighting against his wyrd, he only conspired to make it so.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Oterro wrote:

If anything Fenrir is the catalyst for Ragnarok. Loki is just siding with his children and wife. I don't remember anything about Loki killing his brother.

I'm probably mixed up, Norse mythology is not my forte. I'm sure he killed someone the Gods loved though, it involved mitsletoe, I think?
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Oterro wrote:

Technically, it was his nephew. He tricked Baldr's brother Höðr into hurling a spear made of mistletoe (the only thing in all of creation which hadn't sworn an oath to do no harm to Baldr), which ended up piercing his heart and killing him.
Last edited by Trotskylvania on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Technically, it was his nephew. He tricked Baldr's brother Höðr into hurling a spear made of mistletoe (the only thing in all of creation which hadn't sworn an oath to do no harm to Baldr), which ended up piercing his heart and killing him.

That was who I was thinking of, cheers.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Oh yea, now I remember that story, sorry, a little bit sick so my brain is like 80% here.

The Norak Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norak Federation » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:08 am

didn't Loki kill a god and tried getting away by turning into a fish, but was captured, and placed so that poison was dropped into his eyes? And his wife would take a bowl and catch the poison, but when she emptied the bowl, some poison got into Loki, and he thrashed, causing earthquakes? i think that's what happened...
- Do not pray for Mercy, for that is begging. God helps those who help themselves. Seize the day, take vengeance, and God will be on your side.
Fantasy Dice Rp sound strike your fancy? Join Now!
R.I.P. Wombat

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:57 am

The Norak Federation wrote:didn't Loki kill a god and tried getting away by turning into a fish, but was captured, and placed so that poison was dropped into his eyes? And his wife would take a bowl and catch the poison, but when she emptied the bowl, some poison got into Loki, and he thrashed, causing earthquakes? i think that's what happened...

You're talking about Balder's death. The whole story on that one is that Balder had some dreams about his own death, so the gods took council and the goddess Frigg took an Oath from everything in the Nine Worlds that they would do no harm to Balder. Then the gods took pleasure in throwing objects at Balder and watching him not die. This upsets Loki, so he shape shifted into a woman and asked Frigg if there was anything that didn't swear an oath to not harm Balder. Frigg reveals that she thought the mistletoe was too young to swear an oath.

So Loki, went and got the Mistletoe, and tricked Hod, a blind god, into "honoring" Balder by hitting him with the Mistletoe. Of course this cause Balder to die and to be sent down to Helheim. The gods were sad, and they pleaded with Hel to let Balder return to Asgard. Hel agrees to let Balder go, but only if every living thing weeped for Balder, so the gods got every living thing to weep for Balder...except for Loki. Loki (disguised as Thokk, a giantess) refuse to shed a tear for Balder, thus they lost the deal.

So the Æsir are now angry and upset with Loki. Loki at this point is hiding in a house with four doors (so that he could see where the Æsir would be coming from) and he also made a fishing net. When he did see the Æsir drawing close, he threw the net onto the fire and ran into the stream, changing himself into a Salmon. The Æsir found the burnt netting at Loki's place and copied the design. They went to the river and Loki was able to elude the net by hiding in between two boulders deep in the river's bed. He then saw that it was a short distant to the ocean, and jumped over the net as an attempt to swim to freedom. However, as Loki tried to jump over the net again, Thor grabbed him by his tail and had a firm hold on him.

The Æsir forced one of Loki's son, Vali into a wolf, Vali killed Narfi. They took the guts of Narfi and bound Loki to three stones with holes in them. They then took a poisonous snake and hung it over Loki, so that the poison will forever drip onto him. Sigyn, then took a bowl and captured the poison so that it would not hit Loki. However when she went to throw the poison out, a few splashes of it did hit Loki and causes him to thrash around in pain, which is the Norse's reason for why we have Earthquakes.

He will be bound until Ragnarok.

The Norak Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norak Federation » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 am

so doesn't that story more or less make him a villain?
- Do not pray for Mercy, for that is begging. God helps those who help themselves. Seize the day, take vengeance, and God will be on your side.
Fantasy Dice Rp sound strike your fancy? Join Now!
R.I.P. Wombat

Asterdan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Asterdan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Antichrist, for he will basically tell the biggest lie and take over the world.
You can call me Aster. Yes, I did revive this nation... Again...

If you aren't hurting anyone, putting anyone in danger, or infringing on the rights of others, it isn't the governments business what you do.
Bill Weld 2020

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm

The Norak Federation wrote:so doesn't that story more or less make him a villain?

I dunno, many of the gods are suppose to die in Ragnarok, so I can see why Loki would be upset that Balder was made almost immortal would piss him off. I mean he has to die at Ragnarok, so does the other gods and giants, so why should Balder get exempted from his fate? So I can see why Loki not only killed Balder, but would also refuse to cry for him.

We all have a fate to fulfill, and we should fulfill that fate, regardless of what it is.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General