NATION

PASSWORD

Quick! Support an unconstitutional feelgood bill!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:52 am

Maurepas wrote:*shrugs*, it's the fact that they're well paid is why I don't generally throw out much "support the troops!" mentality. They don't exactly have much in common with random guy at Valley Forge or Gettysburg these days.

I wouldn't call it "well paid". It can be quite a struggle in many cases to support ones family on a military paycheck.
Such heroic nonsense!

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 am

Tekania wrote:
Maurepas wrote:*shrugs*, it's the fact that they're well paid is why I don't generally throw out much "support the troops!" mentality. They don't exactly have much in common with random guy at Valley Forge or Gettysburg these days.

I wouldn't call it "well paid". It can be quite a struggle in many cases to support ones family on a military paycheck.

It may be true but the salary they make is still more than mine, or anyone in my family other than my brother who is in the military.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 am

Altamirus wrote:
L3 Communications wrote:
Most enlisted are just over the poverty line, actually. I think E-2 makes like $24,000 and E-3 makes $26,000?

Soldiers are paid like shit and worked like dogs, tbh.

BBut they get along of free shit for that (most they would never get time to use unless it's part of their job.)

You're not counting that this money in many cases is going to support a wife and also kids. You need to look at the larger picture... Not merely "random single soldier on the battlefield".
Such heroic nonsense!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:00 am

SaintB wrote:
Tekania wrote:

It may be true but the salary they make is still more than mine, or anyone in my family other than my brother who is in the military.

There is a wide range of salaries depending on ones grade. Most military personnel (those between the grades of E-1 and E-5) make between $17,000 and $28,000 per year. And given that you're talking about not paying someone that you're still working, whereby there is no way to make up the loss of pay within the context of support for their family, it makes it even worse.
Such heroic nonsense!

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 am

Natapoc wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Starting pay is only $1,467.60 per month. Now, they get allowances for food and housing if they are not housed in military quarters, they get other allowances for being overseas, or in danger zones. Pay goes up with rank and experience, but most of them are far from well paid.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militar ... ble1-4.pdf

$1,467.60 per month is certainly nothing to complain about since food and housing are taken care of. I'd say they are well paid.

Housing and food are not always taken care of. If they are not deployed that money is taxed. $17,611.20 is not well paid. That's like half of the median wage.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 am

SaintB wrote:
Caninope wrote:The military's food and housing, while decent, isn't exactly gourmet and is like college dorms, respectively.

Not as great a deal as you're making it out to be.

And in college they'd be PAYING $1,467 a month for that.

For the education. Your point?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:And in college they'd be PAYING $1,467 a month for that.

For the education. Your point?

My point is that the level of income plus room and board is not so bad all told when there are even more people in the same age range living in the same conditions and paying an equal amount to that salary for it.
Last edited by SaintB on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:36 am

Sarkhaan wrote:
The Atlantean Menace wrote:I'm fine with a one-time violation of the Constitution in order to PAY THE FREAKING MILITARY.

These people have families to support and are serving our nation.

A lot of federal employees have families to support and are serving our nation. Why is the military somehow more important?

I'm fairly sure most federal employees don't spend 12-15 months at a time living in tents/cargo containers halfway across the world surrounded by large numbers of people who would be quite happy to kill them. :p

However, since we're getting paid regardless of the dick waving in Washington, I can't really muster the energy to do much more than shake my head and giggle about how people get so worked up because the people they elected turn out to be idiots.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 am

SaintB wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:For the education. Your point?

My point is that the level of income plus room and board is not so bad all told when there are even more people in the same age range living in the same conditions and paying an equal amount to that salary for it.

They are paying for school. Soldiers risk their lives, health and well being if they are deployed. They are underpaid. In the private sector, you can essentially do the same shit (Xe Services for example), and then if deployed you would be well paid by any measure. Instead of 1/2 the median wage, you'd be looking at 10x median wage. Of course they want experience, so a private has no chance of getting that job.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:39 am

Myrensis wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:A lot of federal employees have families to support and are serving our nation. Why is the military somehow more important?

I'm fairly sure most federal employees don't spend 12-15 months at a time living in tents/cargo containers halfway across the world surrounded by large numbers of people who would be quite happy to kill them. :p

However, since we're getting paid regardless of the dick waving in Washington, I can't really muster the energy to do much more than shake my head and giggle about how people get so worked up because the people they elected turn out to be idiots.

They only elected idiots because they were given several idiots to choose from.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 am

SaintB wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:For the education. Your point?

I'm pretty sure the other people in the age range living in the same conditions don't have a job description that includes possible violent death/dismemberment/maiming, or have contract clauses that allow involuntary extensions, or requires them to be seperated from their families for months/a year or more at a time with only sporadic ability to contact them.

Trying to compare our pay and benefits against civilians working regular jobs/going to school doesn't work. As Sibirsky said, we get paid a fraction of what civilians with equivalent jobs do.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:My point is that the level of income plus room and board is not so bad all told when there are even more people in the same age range living in the same conditions and paying an equal amount to that salary for it.

They are paying for school. Soldiers risk their lives, health and well being if they are deployed. They are underpaid. In the private sector, you can essentially do the same shit (Xe Services for example), and then if deployed you would be well paid by any measure. Instead of 1/2 the median wage, you'd be looking at 10x median wage. Of course they want experience, so a private has no chance of getting that job.

The salary plus the food and housing plus the civilian discounts plus all the other benefits heaped onto them far exceeds what most people at their level of wages receives already; their wages are usually higher than what an average person of their age earns and are far superior to what the average soldier earned throughout history.

I think they are compensated just fine for the most part. We have other matters to worry about such as what the lowest payed workers are earning compared to the highest payed.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:55 am

Myrensis wrote:
SaintB wrote:My point is that the level of income plus room and board is not so bad all told when there are even more people in the same age range living in the same conditions and paying an equal amount to that salary for it.

I'm pretty sure the other people in the age range living in the same conditions don't have a job description that includes possible violent death/dismemberment/maiming, or have contract clauses that allow involuntary extensions, or requires them to be seperated from their families for months/a year or more at a time with only sporadic ability to contact them.

Trying to compare our pay and benefits against civilians working regular jobs/going to school doesn't work. As Sibirsky said, we get paid a fraction of what civilians with equivalent jobs do.

I'm in the age range. Violent death/dismemberment/maiming is not a high risk for me. One of my boys lost a leg in Afghanistan (roadside IED that also killed one of his friends). He was being paid less then me for work. He's getting free school now, but that's a minor benefit considering the risks involved.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 am

SaintB wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:They are paying for school. Soldiers risk their lives, health and well being if they are deployed. They are underpaid. In the private sector, you can essentially do the same shit (Xe Services for example), and then if deployed you would be well paid by any measure. Instead of 1/2 the median wage, you'd be looking at 10x median wage. Of course they want experience, so a private has no chance of getting that job.

The salary plus the food and housing plus the civilian discounts plus all the other benefits heaped onto them far exceeds what most people at their level of wages receives already; their wages are usually higher than what an average person of their age earns and are far superior to what the average soldier earned throughout history.

I think they are compensated just fine for the most part. We have other matters to worry about such as what the lowest payed workers are earning compared to the highest payed.

The income gap is a big issue? Ok, how do you address it?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:The salary plus the food and housing plus the civilian discounts plus all the other benefits heaped onto them far exceeds what most people at their level of wages receives already; their wages are usually higher than what an average person of their age earns and are far superior to what the average soldier earned throughout history.

The income gap is a big issue? Ok, how do you address it?

That's the billion dollar question. I don't pretend to know how but at least I admit it and acknowledge its a problem. The answer would benefit civilians and soldiers alike.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 am

SaintB wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:The income gap is a big issue? Ok, how do you address it?

That's the billion dollar question. I don't pretend to know how but at least I admit it and acknowledge its a problem. The answer would benefit civilians and soldiers alike.

Well that's an honest answer. I appreciate that.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:16 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:That's the billion dollar question. I don't pretend to know how but at least I admit it and acknowledge its a problem. The answer would benefit civilians and soldiers alike.

Well that's an honest answer. I appreciate that.

I'm pretty sure it would take someone wiser and more knowledgeable in economics and a good many other areas than I to figure it out short of using brute force to accomplish it. I like to think I'm smart but there are things that are arcane to me and that is one of them.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:25 am

SaintB wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Well that's an honest answer. I appreciate that.

I'm pretty sure it would take someone wiser and more knowledgeable in economics and a good many other areas than I to figure it out short of using brute force to accomplish it. I like to think I'm smart but there are things that are arcane to me and that is one of them.

Brute force is simple, and would work, but would create many problems for corporations in the lower paid fields. The most common approach I've seen is to limit CEO's pay to say 100x the lowest paid employee's pay. But that would create problems for McDonald's for example, compared to Microsoft. They wouldn't be able to get as good of talent for their CEO.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:27 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:I'm pretty sure it would take someone wiser and more knowledgeable in economics and a good many other areas than I to figure it out short of using brute force to accomplish it. I like to think I'm smart but there are things that are arcane to me and that is one of them.

Brute force is simple, and would work, but would create many problems for corporations in the lower paid fields. The most common approach I've seen is to limit CEO's pay to say 100x the lowest paid employee's pay. But that would create problems for McDonald's for example, compared to Microsoft. They wouldn't be able to get as good of talent for their CEO.

I doubt Microsoft pays their janitorial staff THAT well.
Such heroic nonsense!

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 am

Tekania wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Brute force is simple, and would work, but would create many problems for corporations in the lower paid fields. The most common approach I've seen is to limit CEO's pay to say 100x the lowest paid employee's pay. But that would create problems for McDonald's for example, compared to Microsoft. They wouldn't be able to get as good of talent for their CEO.

I doubt Microsoft has janitorial staff. They probably outsource that like most businesses.

So, MCD lowest paid $7.25/hr x 2080 = $15,080 = CEO limit of $1,508,000
MSFT, some administrative assistant say $35,000 = $3,500,000 CEO limit.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:55 am

Natapoc wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Starting pay is only $1,467.60 per month. Now, they get allowances for food and housing if they are not housed in military quarters, they get other allowances for being overseas, or in danger zones. Pay goes up with rank and experience, but most of them are far from well paid.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militar ... ble1-4.pdf

$1,467.60 per month is certainly nothing to complain about since food and housing are taken care of. I'd say they are well paid.

If they live on base it is a dorm room, with a cafeteria for food.
If they live off base an E1 would get 462.00 dollars a month for housing and 323.87 dollars per month for food.
Now the housing has a regional adjustment so may be more.
But over all compensation is about 2253.47 a month. For fresh out of highschool it is not bad pay. For working 80 hours a week and being sent around the world to fight wars it is horrendous pay.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New new nebraska
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New new nebraska » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 am

The Atlantean Menace wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:Guess what? All federal employees "have families to support and are serving our nation."

Well, except for the job lots that don't have families. Which includes quite a few people in the military.

I'm not OK with a one-time violation of the Constitution in order to pay the military. If you like, think of it as one example of why it's so important to pass a budget.

You care about a piece of paper that's almost 250 years old more than you care about the men and women who protect you? I think you need to get your priorities in order.

:palm: While, I certainty agree those military personal should have been paid in the eevnt of a shutdown A) there are other ways to go about doing that, rather than an unconstitutional bill B)all federal workers need to pay there bills, etc. and many also have families. Maybe the national park ranger or IRS accountant isn't essential per se (as in Holy shit we'll die without these people! whereas if the military stop for a couple of days its that) but they still help their country and C) WTF! why the blatant disregard for the constitution. That 250 year old "piece of paper" is the supreme law of the land. It is very much important. Saying you can waive it for convience is basically a giant middle finger to all laws and this country in general. If it was something you disgreed with and I said "oh, its just an old piece of paper." you'd be up in arms. So yeah :palm: x 20.
Been a member since 2007, should have 2000+ posts.(Actually, maybe more)

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Economic Left/Right: -3.38. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 am

SaintB wrote:
Caninope wrote:The military's food and housing, while decent, isn't exactly gourmet and is like college dorms, respectively.

Not as great a deal as you're making it out to be.

And in college they'd be PAYING $1,467 a month for that.

Dorms don't cost 17k a year.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:46 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Tekania wrote:

I doubt Microsoft has janitorial staff. They probably outsource that like most businesses.

The McD's CEO can make $3,500,000... he just needs to to pay his workers at least about $16.80 an hour.
Such heroic nonsense!

Ashas Favor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ashas Favor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 am

Tekania wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:I doubt Microsoft has janitorial staff. They probably outsource that like most businesses.

The McD's CEO can make $3,500,000... he just needs to to pay his workers at least about $16.80 an hour.

Yep, and this is one of the many huge problems in the US. As the price of everything continues to go up...we expect people to live sensibly off of $7.25 an hour. This is roughly (40 hour week) $1160 a month. If a soldier makes $1400 as mentioned in one of the above posts...this is quite crappy. Am I advocating that the minimum wage be increases (again)? Not really. Why should the government need to get involved with Corporations paying employees a sensible wage to say...be able to live without worrying where gas money will come from. Especially considering that we have adopted the idea that $2000 a month is "plenty" to live off of. It is really easy to see that most of the people that post here have no idea or no experience at all trying to provide for a family and take care of basic necessities. My wife and I make nearly $3000 a month together and struggle at times especially considering student loans, price of food raising, and the ridiculous price of gas at the moment. I shutter to think what someone who fights for the safety and protection of this country thinks reading this nonsense about them being overpaid.
Last edited by Ashas Favor on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.51

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General