NATION

PASSWORD

Generalites: How do you view yourselves in a relationship?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I must say that women, usually, tend to be more reliable for detailed things. That, of course, is not to say that men can't be adept at it too, take my best friend as an example, but there's a tendency for women to pay more attention to detail than men.

A little tendency. IIRC*, from the Briggs-Meyers folks it's like 45% of men tend to have detail-oriented personalities (their "S" type) vs 55% for women. In my wife's case, I tend to put it down to her dad being a CPA. :)

*: and I may not be, 'cause it's been years since I read their works.

Ah, that may explain it. I am space cadet, but my husband is too so we kinda have each other's back in that area. I pay attention to the stuff he doesn't pay attention to, and vice versa.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:In a future relationship I want to be the eggman.

None us will be the walrus though.

Or I can be a sinner, a grinner, etc.

If she doesn't eat yer meat, you can't have her pudding! How can you have her pudding if she doesn't eat yer meat?!
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:42 am

Geniasis wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:In a future relationship I want to be the eggman.

None us will be the walrus though.

Or I can be a sinner, a grinner, etc.

If she doesn't eat yer meat, you can't have her pudding! How can you have her pudding if she doesn't eat yer meat?!

I won't even ask. <.<
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:46 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Geniasis wrote:

I won't even ask. <.<

I will not even answer :unsure:
The Blaatschapen should resign

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 am

SaintB wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
How so? How do you get grief for trying to keep your relationships on equal footing?

My latest SO worked 2 jobs and wanted space, they asked if we could restrict most of our time together to special occasions and plan things ahead of time around her work schedule, thusly I gave it to her. I let her work, I stayed conscious of her schedule I let her take time to relax on her own when she wanted to (customer service jobs make you hate people sometimes) and on days I could I spent time with her. Day before April fools she dumps me for the guy she met online in her free time when she 'wanted to relax and not talk to anyone.' I always treated her as an equal, I compromised when it didn't benefit me, I did favors when asked or needed; I did for her what I would want someone to do for me the same as in any other relationship but unlike with other people I put her needs first ahead of theirs. That's how I treat SO and expect to be treated the same in return.

Instead I get grief. I have 3 or 4 similar stories.

It souds to me like you didn't treat her as an equal so much as a superior, which can be hurtful to relationships.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:59 am

PrncssOfCuddles wrote:
SaintB wrote:My latest SO worked 2 jobs and wanted space, they asked if we could restrict most of our time together to special occasions and plan things ahead of time around her work schedule, thusly I gave it to her. I let her work, I stayed conscious of her schedule I let her take time to relax on her own when she wanted to (customer service jobs make you hate people sometimes) and on days I could I spent time with her. Day before April fools she dumps me for the guy she met online in her free time when she 'wanted to relax and not talk to anyone.' I always treated her as an equal, I compromised when it didn't benefit me, I did favors when asked or needed; I did for her what I would want someone to do for me the same as in any other relationship but unlike with other people I put her needs first ahead of theirs. That's how I treat SO and expect to be treated the same in return.

Instead I get grief. I have 3 or 4 similar stories.

It souds to me like you didn't treat her as an equal so much as a superior, which can be hurtful to relationships.

I don't see anything that suggests that. I think that, based on SaintB's account, it was a good balance.

I think that when she asked for "space" she was probably already well on her way to dating that other person on the internet, but she wasn't sure if she really wanted to end her current relationship or not. Once she had "space" she started exploring it further, until she decided it was good enough that she wanted to dump her current partner. Not a happy ending, to be sure, but this shit happens. Sometimes you care about somebody more than they care about you, and that SUCKS, but it happens.

The thing about relationships is that you can do everything right and have it still not work out. SaintB might have done everything right and still this partner would simply have wanted to go with somebody else. That sucks, and I can totally understand why some people feel like it's unfair, but relationships don't work like videogames; you can't just find the right sequence of button-pushes and be guaranteed that you'll win the game.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:03 am

Bottle wrote:but relationships don't work like videogames; you can't just find the right sequence of button-pushes and be guaranteed that you'll win the game.

I have, however, had great success treating sex this way.

EXCEPT for the time i went for the hadukan.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 am

Neo Art wrote:
Bottle wrote:but relationships don't work like videogames; you can't just find the right sequence of button-pushes and be guaranteed that you'll win the game.

I have, however, had great success treating sex this way.

.......this explains so much.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:30 am

Bottle wrote:
PrncssOfCuddles wrote:It souds to me like you didn't treat her as an equal so much as a superior, which can be hurtful to relationships.

I don't see anything that suggests that. I think that, based on SaintB's account, it was a good balance.

I think that when she asked for "space" she was probably already well on her way to dating that other person on the internet, but she wasn't sure if she really wanted to end her current relationship or not. Once she had "space" she started exploring it further, until she decided it was good enough that she wanted to dump her current partner. Not a happy ending, to be sure, but this shit happens. Sometimes you care about somebody more than they care about you, and that SUCKS, but it happens.

The thing about relationships is that you can do everything right and have it still not work out. SaintB might have done everything right and still this partner would simply have wanted to go with somebody else. That sucks, and I can totally understand why some people feel like it's unfair, but relationships don't work like videogames; you can't just find the right sequence of button-pushes and be guaranteed that you'll win the game.

Well, it sounded to me like SaintB did all the compromising, all the giving up, all of the meeting of her needs, while he just sort of suffered in silence. I could very well be wrong, I only have a few paragraphs of text to go on.

And I don't really disagree with anything you said.

I know that I personally have ended relationships with people because they were willing to compromise too much, give into my whims too much. I have a forceful enough personality that I will trample all over someone if they dont stand up to me.

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:48 am

PrncssOfCuddles wrote:I know that I personally have ended relationships with people because they were willing to compromise too much, give into my whims too much. I have a forceful enough personality that I will trample all over someone if they dont stand up to me.

Same.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Delawaii
Secretary

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Delawaii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 am

I've ended relationships because people wanted me to be a doormat.

And by "I've ended relationships" I mean "the other people ended the relationships."

Smunkeeville
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 am

Delawaii wrote:I've ended relationships because people wanted me to be a doormat.

And by "I've ended relationships" I mean "the other people ended the relationships."

Have you ever considered a career in stand up comedy? I'm not saying that I'm laughing at your situation, I'm saying you have a wonderful deliver style.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Delawaii
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Delawaii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 am

Smunkeeville wrote:
Delawaii wrote:I've ended relationships because people wanted me to be a doormat.

Have you ever considered a career in stand up comedy? I'm not saying that I'm laughing at your situation, I'm saying you have a wonderful deliver style.

I have, but I have terrible stage fright. I'd freeze and die.

Smunkeeville
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:13 am

Delawaii wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:Have you ever considered a career in stand up comedy? I'm not saying that I'm laughing at your situation, I'm saying you have a wonderful deliver style.

I have, but I have terrible stage fright. I'd freeze and die.

That wouldn't be funny at all. :(

Delawaii
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Delawaii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 am

Smunkeeville wrote:
Delawaii wrote:I have, but I have terrible stage fright. I'd freeze and die.

Exactly :(

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 am

I think I'm the cuddly one in a relationship.

The Pike Dynasty
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 02, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pike Dynasty » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 am

Yeah, Americans are generally perfectly egalitarian, but the vast majority of our marriages end up in total failure. I am not saying the cause is "equal-footing", I am saying the ethical pomp of Americans in gender matters hasn't solved any problems, therefore, we aren't the people to ask about such things. Go ask someone from India or the Middle East; they can generally deal with successful long-term relationships.

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:33 am

The Pike Dynasty wrote:Yeah, Americans are generally perfectly egalitarian, but the vast majority of our marriages end up in total failure. I am not saying the cause is "equal-footing", I am saying the ethical pomp of Americans in gender matters hasn't solved any problems, therefore, we aren't the people to ask about such things. Go ask someone from India or the Middle East; they can generally deal with successful long-term relationships.

It has solved the problem of gender inequality, or at least started to address it, a d solved some of the problems associated with it.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:38 am

Smunkeeville wrote:
Delawaii wrote:I have, but I have terrible stage fright. I'd freeze and die.

That reminds me of Tommy Cooper :(

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:38 am

I'm much too nervous about relationships to ever be in one.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 am

On the plus side, if they wanted you to be a doormat you are probably better off without them.

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:40 am

United Dependencies wrote:I'm much too nervous about relationships to ever be in one.

What makes you nervous about them?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:47 am

PrncssOfCuddles wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:I'm much too nervous about relationships to ever be in one.

I don't know what to do honestly. I don't want to look foolish.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 am

United Dependencies wrote:
PrncssOfCuddles wrote:What makes you nervous about them?

I don't know what to do honestly. I don't want to look foolish.

(almost) Everybody has that. Just communicate clearly of what you want and expect from each other.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 am

PrncssOfCuddles wrote:

The eating. You know, how after the man inseminates the woman's eggs, she has to eat the man in order to nurture for her children. I don't wanna get eaten.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General