NATION

PASSWORD

Generalites: How do you view yourselves in a relationship?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Generalites: How do you view yourselves in a relationship?

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes, the title is not self-explicit, my apologies. Let me provide a bit of background and then I'll ask a few things.

My best friend, whom I love dearly but who has a life worthy of a Latin American soap opera (drama!!!), called me today. He was in a tizzy. I haven't been feeling very patient lately but I took a deep breath and made up my mind to listen to his new dilemma and give my honest opinion. Apparently, he got into a fight with his SO and some 'hurtful' words were exchanged. The crux of the matter is that his SO ended telling him that he sees him (my best friend) as the 'lady of the house'. Which, of course, made my friend furious.

Upon asking him why his SO said this, he replayed by saying that he functions as secretary, cook, cleaning person, organizer, washer and overall shoulder to cry on for his SO, who's a dentist. I also got the hint that his SO considers him the feminine aspect of the relationship. Something that, tbh, confuses me but this wasn't what made me ponder (if anyone wishes to offer some insight, feel free to). What made me ponder was: do we (both male and female) assume certain 'positions' (roles maybe) in our relationships? And if so, how do we view ourselves in said relationship? If not, still, how do you view yourself in a relationship?

I don't think I do. Yes, I am the wife, but that doesn't mean that I am just 'the wife'. I am also my SO's friend, and I support him emotionally as he supports me emotionally. Sometimes he has the reigns, and sometimes (depending on how we feel) I am the one who has the reigns. Partnership, I think, it's the best way to describe this. However, have any of you ever been in a relationship with 'strictly' defined 'roles'?
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I don't really believe in strict gender roles. It doesn't work on an airliner deck, why would it work in live-in/committed relationships?
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Arkinesia wrote:I don't really believe in strict gender roles. It doesn't work on an airliner deck, why would it work in live-in/committed relationships?

I don't believe in them either, but apparently, some people (like my friend's SO) do.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

I try to keep things on equal footing and generally seem to get nothing but grief for it.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

SaintB wrote:I try to keep things on equal footing and generally seem to get nothing but grief for it.

How so? How do you get grief for trying to keep your relationships on equal footing?
Slava Ukraini

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 pm

all i want to say is

is your friend's SO crazy? is she trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg? does she have no idea how hard it is to find a man who will do the "lady things" around the house? making him feel less manly for doing those things is a great way to lose him. then she'll have to do all that stuff herself!
whatever

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Ashmoria wrote:all i want to say is

is your friend's SO crazy? is she trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg? does she have no idea how hard it is to find a man who will do the "lady things" around the house? making him feel less manly for doing those things is a great way to lose him. then she'll have to do all that stuff herself!

I am of the opinion that my friend's SO is just an asshole. They've been together something like 7 years now and things have been this disjointed pretty much from the start. However, this new development puzzled me. It didn't surprise me, but it did puzzle me.
Slava Ukraini

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
SaintB wrote:I try to keep things on equal footing and generally seem to get nothing but grief for it.

How so? How do you get grief for trying to keep your relationships on equal footing?

My latest SO worked 2 jobs and wanted space, they asked if we could restrict most of our time together to special occasions and plan things ahead of time around her work schedule, thusly I gave it to her. I let her work, I stayed conscious of her schedule I let her take time to relax on her own when she wanted to (customer service jobs make you hate people sometimes) and on days I could I spent time with her. Day before April fools she dumps me for the guy she met online in her free time when she 'wanted to relax and not talk to anyone.' I always treated her as an equal, I compromised when it didn't benefit me, I did favors when asked or needed; I did for her what I would want someone to do for me the same as in any other relationship but unlike with other people I put her needs first ahead of theirs. That's how I treat SO and expect to be treated the same in return.

Instead I get grief. I have 3 or 4 similar stories.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm not a big fan of gender roles. That said, given my wife's cultural heritage there's certain things that she insists on doing to be a proper wife and feels there's certain things that I should be doing to be a good husband. Some of them I've given up on as knowing I'm never going to win (Such as driving on trips and fixing things around the house for me and her getting up early to see me off to work for her). Somethings however I refuse to give up on because I don't care if I'm a guy, if I like to cook I will damn well cook on the weekends to give her a break. There's also things that, given both our cultures, we have had to get used to doing in ways that seem odd to us. I'm used to managing the household accounts, the usual way in Japan though is for women to manage the money and give guys an allowence. My wife has had to accept that I just will not give up my paycheck to her every month. On the other hand though, given her superior ability at Japanese, she gets to deal with things like forms, governement stuff, and major sales decisions that usually a guy would be doing.

In terms of the feeling aspect of our relationship though, we both are more partners in crime instead of one being the rock and the other seeking comfort.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

SaintB wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

My latest SO worked 2 jobs and wanted space, they asked if we could restrict most of our time together to special occasions and plan things ahead of time around her work schedule, thusly I gave it to her. I let her work, I stayed conscious of her schedule I let her take time to relax on her own when she wanted to (customer service jobs make you hate people sometimes) and on days I could I spent time with her. Day before April fools she dumps me for the guy she met online in her free time when she 'wanted to relax and not talk to anyone.' I always treated her as an equal, I compromised when it didn't benefit me, I did favors when asked or needed; I did for her what I would want someone to do for me the same as in any other relationship but unlike with other people I put her needs first ahead of theirs. That's how I treat SO and expect to be treated the same in return.

I see. Some people do not recognize that what they have is gold. I am sorry this happened to you. But don't despair much, I am sure someone will come around and appreciate that you maintain equality in your relationships. :)
Slava Ukraini

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I am of the opinion that my friend's SO is just an asshole. They've been together something like 7 years now and things have been this disjointed pretty much from the start. However, this new development puzzled me. It didn't surprise me, but it did puzzle me.

his SO said it knowing it would get under his skin and it is perhaps merely a fabrication as such.

Another case closed by the NSG detective community.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 pm

+1, good guys like that are hard to find these days.

Speaking as one who hopes he can do all of these things because it looks like he will end up marrying a teacher no matter what he does… :?
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
SaintB wrote:My latest SO worked 2 jobs and wanted space, they asked if we could restrict most of our time together to special occasions and plan things ahead of time around her work schedule, thusly I gave it to her. I let her work, I stayed conscious of her schedule I let her take time to relax on her own when she wanted to (customer service jobs make you hate people sometimes) and on days I could I spent time with her. Day before April fools she dumps me for the guy she met online in her free time when she 'wanted to relax and not talk to anyone.' I always treated her as an equal, I compromised when it didn't benefit me, I did favors when asked or needed; I did for her what I would want someone to do for me the same as in any other relationship but unlike with other people I put her needs first ahead of theirs. That's how I treat SO and expect to be treated the same in return.

I see. Some people do not recognize that what they have is gold. I am sorry this happened to you. But don't despair much, I am sure someone will come around and appreciate that you maintain equality in your relationships. :)

Apparently not in this shithole. They all try to come back at some point but I don't go for it.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm

NERVUN wrote:I'm not a big fan of gender roles. That said, given my wife's cultural heritage there's certain things that she insists on doing to be a proper wife and feels there's certain things that I should be doing to be a good husband. Some of them I've given up on as knowing I'm never going to win (Such as driving on trips and fixing things around the house for me and her getting up early to see me off to work for her). Somethings however I refuse to give up on because I don't care if I'm a guy, if I like to cook I will damn well cook on the weekends to give her a break. There's also things that, given both our cultures, we have had to get used to doing in ways that seem odd to us. I'm used to managing the household accounts, the usual way in Japan though is for women to manage the money and give guys an allowence. My wife has had to accept that I just will not give up my paycheck to her every month. On the other hand though, given her superior ability at Japanese, she gets to deal with things like forms, governement stuff, and major sales decisions that usually a guy would be doing.

In terms of the feeling aspect of our relationship though, we both are more partners in crime instead of one being the rock and the other seeking comfort.

I think I understand your wife, and I understand you perfectly. Like her, there are things I just like doing, because it is a cultural thing for me, like cooking meals, doing laundry, keeping the house spiffy for him. That is, like you said, not to say that if I'm sick or he has a hunkering for grilling, that my husband is beyond cooking. He does it. He is also quite capable of washing dishes, cleaning house and doing laundry.

Your post, however, made me think of 'cultural' gender roles. My friend and his SO are both from Spain, and ours is a strong culture. What makes me curious is, too, how these 'roles' (constructed or not) manifest themselves in this homosexual couple. How is it that, it seems, that in their relationship, there must forcefully be a 'male' aspect and a 'female' aspect.
Slava Ukraini

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm

to answer the question I do like doing guy stuff because that is society for you but I guess I tend to be the submissive one

SaintB wrote:Instead I get grief. I have 3 or 4 similar stories.

shoulda known
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Miasto Lodz
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miasto Lodz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote: However, have any of you ever been in a relationship with 'strictly' defined 'roles'?

Yes. I wouldn't let myself to dive in the unknown water. It's the matter of comfort.

is your friend's SO crazy? is she trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg? does she have no idea how hard it is to find a man who will do the "lady things" around the house?

??
Mine's bigger.
"A quality instrument is easily repaired" Leo Fender
Kupując kebaba osiedlasz Araba.
Keine Freiheit für die Feinde der Freiheit.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Miasto Lodz wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote: However, have any of you ever been in a relationship with 'strictly' defined 'roles'?

Yes. I wouldn't let myself to dive in the unknown water. It's the matter of comfort.

True. And how does it feel? (if you can talk about it)
Slava Ukraini

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 pm

i think the only roles anyone has in a relationship are to work to make each other happier people.

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't believe in gender roles specifically, but find they are quite easy to fall into.

I have been the breadwinner and the housewife. It seems that, as the breadwinner, I was still expected to be the housewife when I got home. As the housewife, I am expected to also get off my ass and earn a buck. I don't know. Phuckit. Sometimes I hate being a woman... or hate men. Not sure which, yet.
Last edited by Grainne Ni Malley on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:I don't believe in gender roles specifically, but find they are quite easy to fall into.

I have been the breadwinner and the housewife. It seems that, as the breadwinner, I was still expected to be the housewife when I got home. As the housewife, I am expected to also get off my ass and earn a buck. I don't know. Phuckit. Sometimes I hate being a woman... or hate men. Not sure which, yet.

Try both. Sometimes we hate both.

In my past relationship, I was the breadwinner and my ex was the tick sucking my blood. And I was expected to be the housekeeper too. My ex wouldn't lift a finger. I am so glad I got out of that.
Slava Ukraini

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:I don't believe in gender roles specifically, but find they are quite easy to fall into.

Hate society it works for me.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I'm not a big fan of gender roles. That said, given my wife's cultural heritage there's certain things that she insists on doing to be a proper wife and feels there's certain things that I should be doing to be a good husband. Some of them I've given up on as knowing I'm never going to win (Such as driving on trips and fixing things around the house for me and her getting up early to see me off to work for her). Somethings however I refuse to give up on because I don't care if I'm a guy, if I like to cook I will damn well cook on the weekends to give her a break. There's also things that, given both our cultures, we have had to get used to doing in ways that seem odd to us. I'm used to managing the household accounts, the usual way in Japan though is for women to manage the money and give guys an allowence. My wife has had to accept that I just will not give up my paycheck to her every month. On the other hand though, given her superior ability at Japanese, she gets to deal with things like forms, governement stuff, and major sales decisions that usually a guy would be doing.

I think I understand your wife, and I understand you perfectly. Like her, there are things I just like doing, because it is a cultural thing for me, like cooking meals, doing laundry, keeping the house spiffy for him. That is, like you said, not to say that if I'm sick or he has a hunkering for grilling, that my husband is beyond cooking. He does it. He is also quite capable of washing dishes, cleaning house and doing laundry.

Your post, however, made me think of 'cultural' gender roles. My friend and his SO are both from Spain, and ours is a strong culture. What makes me curious is, too, how these 'roles' (constructed or not) manifest themselves in this homosexual couple. How is it that, it seems, that in their relationship, there must forcefully be a 'male' aspect and a 'female' aspect.

I think if you're in a culture with strong gender roles (Such as Japan), there's enormous pressure to act to those roles. My wife feels that there are things that she MUST do here that she never did in the US. In the US, when we had moved in together, there was never an issue regarding breakfast. We both had different scheduals for university so it was a very American matter of you make what you want and eat it yourself.

In Japan though, she's actually embarrased about the fact that I won the argument that I am capable of making my own breakfast (Indeed, I am far more versitile than she is if I have the time, but on day to day it's just not that hard to make toast and coffee) and she need not get up at some ungodly hour just to present me with rice and miso soup the way her mother does for her father. But I have been told that she feels she's letting me down as a wife because women are supposed to cook for their husbands. Husbands can do things like yaki-nikku parties, but unless they are working as a cook (And even then), they shouldn't be making their own breakfasts. She says that she thinks other women look down on her for not fulfilling her role as a wife.

Couldn't help you with homosexual couples though. Sorry. :p
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Eisen Reich
Envoy

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisen Reich » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

i dont think there are concrete gender roles, i prefer a nuclear family, a working dad, a stay at home mom, but i know there are women who want a carreer and thats great. i do believe that you need to support each other but i also believe that if the man makes the money then he should get the biggest say. if its equel then the say is equal

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I think if you're in a culture with strong gender roles (Such as Japan), there's enormous pressure to act to those roles. My wife feels that there are things that she MUST do here that she never did in the US. In the US, when we had moved in together, there was never an issue regarding breakfast. We both had different scheduals for university so it was a very American matter of you make what you want and eat it yourself.

In Japan though, she's actually embarrased about the fact that I won the argument that I am capable of making my own breakfast (Indeed, I am far more versitile than she is if I have the time, but on day to day it's just not that hard to make toast and coffee) and she need not get up at some ungodly hour just to present me with rice and miso soup the way her mother does for her father. But I have been told that she feels she's letting me down as a wife because women are supposed to cook for their husbands. Husbands can do things like yaki-nikku parties, but unless they are working as a cook (And even then), they shouldn't be making their own breakfasts. She says that she thinks other women look down on her for not fulfilling her role as a wife.

I understand her feelings so well. My grandmother and my mother (although my mom stopped this practice when she met my stepdad) were like this. They felt it was their cultural duty to cook and do everything for their husbands. And it was frowned upon if they didn't fulfill these duties to a T by others. I grew up seeing this and I feel like a bad wife (although this is slowly changing) if I do not cook for my husband.
Slava Ukraini

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Arkinesia wrote:I don't really believe in strict gender roles. It doesn't work on an airliner deck, why would it work in live-in/committed relationships?
I wish I could ignore them, but my parents believe otherwise, and want me to be nothing more than a housewife, which I suck at anyways. I can't cook, clean, wash, or anything worth a shit, save iron.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General