NATION

PASSWORD

P51 Mustang Vs. Japanese Zero

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mustang Vs. Zero, who'd win it?

P51 Mustang
73%
Japanese Zero
27%

Total votes : 74

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Potarius wrote:
New Korongo wrote:In a one on one fight, I heard the Zero had a kill ratio of 12:1 and I think the Mustang has a 11:1. In the hands of a good pilot the Zero would win but then again in 1944 these were in short supply for the IJN so I would vote the Mustang. Your date is biased.

...Not really, no.

In the hands of a good pilot, a Zero would still have tremendous difficulty against a P-51D flown to its strengths. The P-51D can always make a fight with a Zero its own, whereas the pilot of the Zero has to wait for the pilot of the Mustang to be stupid enough to get low and slow with it.

In the hands of a veteran pilot, a Zero would dominate a green, rookie pilot in a P-51.

It's always the user that makes the weapon, after all.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Galla- wrote:
Potarius wrote:
...Not really, no.

In the hands of a good pilot, a Zero would still have tremendous difficulty against a P-51D flown to its strengths. The P-51D can always make a fight with a Zero its own, whereas the pilot of the Zero has to wait for the pilot of the Mustang to be stupid enough to get low and slow with it.

In the hands of a veteran pilot, a Zero would dominate a green, rookie pilot in a P-51.

It's always the user that makes the weapon, after all.

Ok, then let's pit an Ace Zero pilot vs. an Ace P-51 Pilot.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 pm

That, my friend, depends upon which specific P-51 or Zero model it is.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Anit christ
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anit christ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Zero of couer if germany followed japan path in ww2 the axis wold win

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Wamitoria wrote:That, my friend, depends upon which specific P-51 or Zero model it is.

Already said it

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:
Eh, either way.

Wait, so both? Re-start the Battle of Britain? Beat back the Normandy invasion? You wish that would have happened?

Would have kept a lot of people from suffering in central Europe, since the Germans had basically cleaned house after kicking their killings into high gear around 43, and the Soviets brought a whole new wave of repression and mass killings with them.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Wait, so both? Re-start the Battle of Britain? Beat back the Normandy invasion? You wish that would have happened?

Would have kept a lot of people from suffering in central Europe, since the Germans had basically cleaned house after kicking their killings into high gear around 43, and the Soviets brought a whole new wave of repression and mass killings with them.

The Germans targeted specific groups of people and killed anyone who looked at them funny. The Soviets were indiscriminate and killed anyone who looked at them funny.

Not sure which is worse, actually. Be leaning towards the Soviets, but they also have only a twice higher body count and nearly ten times the..er...time. So either the Soviets were a lot slower at killing, or they didn't really intend to kill too many people, just people who looked at them funny; while the Germans killed you for looking funny.

Whether it would have saved the people of Central Europe lots of suffering or not is irrelevant, as I think under the Nazis there wouldn't be people left in Central Europe to suffer.
Last edited by Galla- on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Galla- wrote:

The Germans targeted specific groups of people and killed anyone who looked at them funny. The Soviets were indiscriminate and killed anyone who looked at them funny.

Not sure which is worse, actually. Be leaning towards the Soviets, but they also have only a twice higher body count and nearly ten times the..er...time. So either the Soviets were a lot slower at killing, or they didn't really intend to kill too many people, just people who looked at them funny; while the Germans killed you for looking funny.

To be fair, the Soviets basically stopped their mass killings after Stalin died. The German killings are very much overstated, though rarely understated. They targeted the jews, and certain poles. The majority of slavic people were given the green light after "germanization" or for fighting in German army groups against the Soviets. With the soviets, you just had to have been rumored to at some point have disagreed with party doctrine and you were being shot in town square. At least up until the start of the war when Stalin simply had you arrested and used to clear land mines in Ukraine.

EDIT: As for that last remark, the Czech people weathered it since 1938 pretty decently, Hungary and Romania would have retained their independence as allies of the Reich, northern France would have most likely been handed over to Petain, basically they would have carved up the Soviet union, given a bunch of land to the cossacks, allowed Finland to take what it wanted, etc. The number of people sent to Nazi concentration camps was 4-8 million out of a population under their occupation of ~150 million. Under Soviet domination, out of a population of about 180 million something like 30 million people were executed or starved to death.
Last edited by Brandenburg-Altmark on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Galla- wrote:

To be fair, the Soviets basically stopped their mass killings after Stalin died.

And after the war, even under Goebbels or another successor, the so-called "Final Solution" would have continued as normal, and bogus reports would "indicate" that the Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, etc would have just been "moved" into the countryside or similar. Anyone considering something more sinister would be branded a conspiracy theorist. Anyway this is a threadjack. If you'd like to start an Allied vs. Axis victory thread, go ahead.
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:34 pm

To be fair, the Soviets basically stopped their mass killings after Stalin died.

And after the war, even under Goebbels or another successor, the so-called "Final Solution" would have continued as normal, and bogus reports would "indicate" that the Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, etc would have just been "moved" into the countryside or similar. Anyone considering something more sinister would be branded a conspiracy theorist. Anyway this is a threadjack. If you'd like to start an Allied vs. Axis victory thread, go ahead.

Nah, I'm not all that invested in this discussion. OTT: I would have to say, in all honesty, it depends on the situation. In a real battle it could obviously go either way depending on circumstances such as numbers, weather, skill of pilots, etc. As has been said the P51D was a better overall plane mechanically, while the Zero was much more heavily armed. Obviously if we put Erich Hartmann in a Zero and a soviet conscript into a P51 the results may be skewed, but it seems that, from the stats, the P51 is generally going to come out on top.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:And after the war, even under Goebbels or another successor, the so-called "Final Solution" would have continued as normal, and bogus reports would "indicate" that the Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, etc would have just been "moved" into the countryside or similar. Anyone considering something more sinister would be branded a conspiracy theorist. Anyway this is a threadjack. If you'd like to start an Allied vs. Axis victory thread, go ahead.

Nah, I'm not all that invested in this discussion. OTT: I would have to say, in all honesty, it depends on the situation. In a real battle it could obviously go either way depending on circumstances such as numbers, weather, skill of pilots, etc. As has been said the P51D was a better overall plane mechanically, while the Zero was much more heavily armed. Obviously if we put Erich Hartmann in a Zero and a soviet conscript into a P51 the results may be skewed, but it seems that, from the stats, the P51 is generally going to come out on top.

I wouldn't say that the Zero was much more heavily armed than the Mustang. To be fair, they were about equal in terms of firepower. Even though the A6M2 had two 20mm wing cannons, they only had 60 rounds each and were an early type that had only 600m/s muzzle velocity (exactly the same as the Germans' MG FF used on the Bf-109E-4). Its other two guns were two 7.62mm Type 97 machine guns in the engine cowling. While excellent guns on their own, 7.62mm against newer aircraft did little, even with 500 rounds per gun.
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Potarius wrote:

I wouldn't say that the Zero was much more heavily armed than the Mustang. To be fair, they were about equal in terms of firepower. Even though the A6M2 had two 20mm wing cannons, they only had 60 rounds each and were an early type that had only 600m/s muzzle velocity (exactly the same as the Germans' MG FF used on the Bf-109E-4). Its other two guns were two 7.62mm Type 97 machine guns in the engine cowling. While excellent guns on their own, 7.62mm against newer aircraft did little, even with 500 rounds per gun.

It seems to me that the reason for the Zero's excellent results came more from the fact that Japanese pilots were just a lot better trained than their American counterparts up until about 1943-44 when the majority of their air force and navy had been wrecked and most of the good pilots had died in battle.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm

The Mustang obviously. The P-51D was a huge step up from the P-51B which was in turn a huge step up from the P-51A. The Zero barely changed from its introduction in 1940 and was hopelessly underpowered against comtempories late in the war.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Potarius wrote:

It seems to me that the reason for the Zero's excellent results came more from the fact that Japanese pilots were just a lot better trained than their American counterparts up until about 1943-44 when the majority of their air force and navy had been wrecked and most of the good pilots had died in battle.

Take into account that when the Zero had supremacy, it really was above and beyond its contemporaries. The P-40B, F4F-3, Dewoitine D.520, Fiat G.50, and Macchi C.200 couldn't touch the performance of the A6M2. The only aircraft that were at its level were the Bf-109E-4, Spitfire Mk.I, and Yak-1. Even so, the Zero completely out-classed all of them in terms of maneuverability (turn and roll rate), and only the Messerschmitt could touch the Zero's rate of climb.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:The P-51D was a huge step up from the P-51B

Only in firepower and cockpit visibility. The P-51B had a higher top speed at altitude and better pilot protection, and with the addition of the Malcolm hood (bubble canopy), most of the cockpit visibility issues with the -B were corrected while still keeping the same level of pilot protection.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Potarius wrote:

Take into account that when the Zero had supremacy, it really was above and beyond its contemporaries. The P-40B, F4F-3, Dewoitine D.520, Fiat G.50, and Macchi C.200 couldn't touch the performance of the A6M2. The only aircraft that were at its level were the Bf-109E-4, Spitfire Mk.I, and Yak-1. Even so, the Zero completely out-classed all of them in terms of maneuverability (turn and roll rate), and only the Messerschmitt could touch the Zero's rate of climb.

Yeah, by 1943 when Americans started introducing "modern" technology to the pacific front the Zero was useless simply because it didn't really have carriers to fly from and Japanese industry was being crippled by a lack of materials and the occasional bombing raid. It's not very fair to compare the P51D to the Zero since the D was made 4 years after the Zero if I remember correctly. I'd say it would be better to compare the P51A, honestly, in which case the Zero wins.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Mustang Vs. Tony

I think the Mustang would win

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Potarius wrote:

Yeah, by 1943 when Americans started introducing "modern" technology to the pacific front the Zero was useless simply because it didn't really have carriers to fly from and Japanese industry was being crippled by a lack of materials and the occasional bombing raid. It's not very fair to compare the P51D to the Zero since the D was made 4 years after the Zero if I remember correctly. I'd say it would be better to compare the P51A, honestly, in which case the Zero wins.

The P-51A was actually an improvement over the P-40, so it wasn't terrible. It was just terrible above 15,000 feet.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Here is a simulation of such a fight. How accurate would you say it is?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Potarius wrote:

The P-51A was actually an improvement over the P-40, so it wasn't terrible. It was just terrible above 15,000 feet.

Well, in 1941 the Zero was probably the best dogfighting plane in the world, as well. The Americans advanced faster than the Japanese because they didn't have the material concerns the Japanese did and the main front was a very long way from their home, meaning they had more than enough time and money to make advances, while the Japanese and Germans had a lot of concerns. In general switching models at any point after 1942 would have taken too long to with retooling factories and whatnot to have even been worth the improvements, though I really think they could have made more of the minor performance tweaks and such that the Germans were famous for late war.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Here is a simulation of such a fight. How accurate would you say it is?

Not at all.

The Zero never would've come into the fight with an altitude advantage over a P-51D. Regardless of the Mustang winning that fight, whoever was flying it didn't know what the hell they were doing. Were that encounter on Aces High II and had I been flying the Zero, I can assure you I would've had that Mustang either in the first head-on pass or shortly afterward.

I could nitpick that Mustang pilot's (I assume it was the guy who uploaded the video) flying abilities all night. He wasn't steady with the stick, he went head on with a plane that is armed with 20mm cannons, he immediately pulled up to stall dive AFTER going head on, he didn't use rudders even once, and his marksmanship was foul. He didn't even use flaps when going for the initial knife fight...

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Potarius wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Here is a simulation of such a fight. How accurate would you say it is?

Not at all.

The Zero never would've come into the fight with an altitude advantage over a P-51D. Regardless of the Mustang winning that fight, whoever was flying it didn't know what the hell they were doing. Were that encounter on Aces High II and had I been flying the Zero, I can assure you I would've had that Mustang either in the first head-on pass or shortly afterward.

I could nitpick that Mustang pilot's (I assume it was the guy who uploaded the video) flying abilities all night. He wasn't steady with the stick, he went head on with a plane that is armed with 20mm cannons, he immediately pulled up to stall dive AFTER going head on, he didn't use rudders even once, and his marksmanship was foul. He didn't even use flaps when going for the initial knife fight...

What would you do in his position? (Stang driver's)

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Potarius wrote:
Not at all.

What would you do in his position? (Stang driver's)

First of all, I'd be at about 20,000 feet if I knew Japanese aircraft were around. In Aces High II, the main Japanese plane in use is the Ki-84, so an altitude advantage is needed. But, for the sake of this discussion, assume a one-on-one duel is accepted in one of the dueling arenas.

I would, of course, build as much of an altitude advantage as I could; at least 20,000 feet, as previously stated. I'd accelerate to over 400mph and, when the Zero is spotted, wait for it to fly under and away to see what action the pilot decides to take. If no action is taken, either a roll left or right and a quick dive to the Zero's altitude would get me on his tail very quickly with the burst of speed given from the dive. If the Zero tries to climb up and pursue (this would spell doom for him), I would slightly dive and double back to get closer, and if met head-on with the Zero, I would pull up straight about 1,000 yards away from him, pull a hard right rudder roll, and end up on his tail to finish the job. A lot of variables apply. But I've done both of those particular moves so many times in the main arenas that I stopped keeping track years ago. And that's even against aircraft that are a much better match for the P-51D. That being said, I prefer the Yak-9U for those maneuvers I mentioned, because its characteristics are so smooth and responsive. Its turning radius is also very good.

Now, were I to take the controls from the idiot who was flying the Mustang at an altitude below the Zero, I would have to gain speed and climb, while avoiding a head-on pass by the Zero. Then I could use one of the tactics stated above... Or, I could get into a knife fight low and slow and either have the luck of running into a player who doesn't know how to use the Zero, or get my ass handed to me really fast.
Last edited by Potarius on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:42 am

Err, in what universe did the Mustang 'dominate the skies in European theatre'?

Ever heard of, you know, the Spitfire? By the time you lot pulled your fingers out the German Air Force had already been decimated.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 am

St George of England wrote:Err, in what universe did the Mustang 'dominate the skies in European theatre'?

Ever heard of, you know, the Spitfire? By the time you lot pulled your fingers out the German Air Force had already been decimated.

Didn't the Hurricane do magnitudes more damage to the Luftwaffe than the Spitfire?
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General