NATION

PASSWORD

the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and the Sex Party

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would you ever vote for the Official Monster Raving Loony Party?

Yes
65%
No
15%
I'm not sure.
10%
Tea and Crumpets (Obligatory NS English Joke Vote)
10%

Total votes : 20

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and the Sex Party

Postby NobleBastard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Yes, this a real political party in England.

The Wikipedia page

The OMRLP are distinguished by having a deliberately bizarre manifesto, which contains things that seem to be impossible or too absurd to implement – usually to highlight what they see as real-life absurdities.

Despite its satirical nature, some of the things that have featured in Loony manifestos have become law, such as being able to vote at 18, "passports for pets", and all-day pub openings. Similarly, the outcry following Alan Hope's appearance on the BBC's Nationwide current affairs programme after he was elected – during which he mentioned that butter and milk surpluses were being dumped down abandoned mine shafts under European Community rules to maintain prices (something the media of the day had failed to expose) – resulted in the distribution of such surpluses to the needy or charities instead.

The Loonies generally field as many candidates as possible in United Kingdom general elections, some (but by no means all) standing under ridiculous names they have adopted via deed poll. Sutch himself stood against all three main party leaders (John Major, Neil Kinnock and Paddy Ashdown) in the 1992 General Election. Parliamentary candidates have to pay their own deposit (which currently stands at £500) and cover all of their expenses. No OMRLP candidate has managed to get the required 5% of the popular vote needed to retain his deposit, but this does not stop people standing. Sutch came closest with 4.1% and over a thousand votes at the Rotherham by-election, whilst Stuart Hughes still holds the record for the largest number of votes for a Loony candidate at a Parliamentary election, with 1,442 at the 1992 General Election in the Honiton seat in east Devon. The all time highest vote achieved was by comedian Danny Bamford aka Danny Blue, who secured 3,339 votes in the 1994 European Elections under the pseudonym of "John Major". Bamford had also acted as an election agent for Lindi St Clair's rival Corrective Party, and was a former close associate of Stuart Hughes

I personally would not vote for this party. There absurdist policies seem a bit too much, but they have some points. Also they must be better then some current politicians. But NSers tend to be very liberal and anarchist so I pose this question.
Query-Would you ever vote for the the OMRLP?

What about the Australian Sex Party?
Last edited by NobleBastard on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am a woman. My nickname is Noba.
Factbook
Thanks for clicking. I apologize for the break from my posting. Work has increased so I will be posting much less. I can still do RPs but not busy ones. I hope I can keep hanging with you guys. If you have any question TG me.

What is most painful for all of us, however, is -- the prolonged degradation in which the German genius has lived, estranged from house and home, in the service of vicious dwarfs. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ramalet
Envoy

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramalet » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 pm

I was damn close to voting yes but instead had to go for Tea and Crumpets.
I plan on voting for them next year. My personal favourite policies of theirs are:
- For the sake of sportsmanship women footballers should have to swap shirts after a game. Or better yet swap shirts after every pass.
- Socks should be sold in sets of three as you're guaranteed to lose one at some point and its always handy to have a spare.
New Manvir wrote:Hitler should have been a salesman, he could've been like a German Billy Mays.

House: "No, there is not a thin line between love and hate. There is, in fact, a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every twenty feet between love and hate."

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd vote for them.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:04 pm

My Dad stood for election as an OMLP once. Can't remember how well he did.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Helertia wrote:My Dad stood for election as an OMLP once. Can't remember how well he did.

Are you serious? We have a celebrity in our midst! Would you ever run for the OMLP?
Factbook
Thanks for clicking. I apologize for the break from my posting. Work has increased so I will be posting much less. I can still do RPs but not busy ones. I hope I can keep hanging with you guys. If you have any question TG me.

What is most painful for all of us, however, is -- the prolonged degradation in which the German genius has lived, estranged from house and home, in the service of vicious dwarfs. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Eh, I prefer the Aussie sex party. I also like their political organization. See what I just did there? Yeah.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Rolamec wrote:Eh, I prefer the Aussie sex party. I also like their political organization. See what I just did there? Yeah.

I wikipediaed it and edited the OP. Very interesting but not as successful as the OMRLP. I agree with the Aussie's policies.
Factbook

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:13 pm

NobleBastard wrote:
Helertia wrote:My Dad stood for election as an OMLP once. Can't remember how well he did.

Are you serious? We have a celebrity in our midst! Would you ever run for the OMLP?

Yeah, he did, back when we lived in London. Must have been about 10 years ago? Didn't save the deposit, of course.

As for me, I'm too serious and prudish for that sort of thing.

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:13 pm

I think both the Loonies and the Sex Party sound like just the type of sensible, level-headed politicians we need in this day and age.

Actually, I feel like if politics was conducted with a bit more humor, we could all deal with it a lot better.
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Offenheim wrote:I think both the Loonies and the Sex Party sound like just the type of sensible, level-headed politicians we need in this day and age.

Actually, I feel like if politics was conducted with a bit more humor, we could all deal with it a lot better.

Yeah, but then think of how horrendous recruitment would be.

"Hey, wanna join me in the Sex Party?"
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Norstal wrote:
Offenheim wrote:I think both the Loonies and the Sex Party sound like just the type of sensible, level-headed politicians we need in this day and age.

Yeah, but then think of how horrendous recruitment would be.

Thats horrendous?

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Helertia wrote:Thats horrendous?

The feeling of rejection and depression you get when you find out it isn't really a Sex Party is horrendous. It's like falling off the cliff of ecstasy into the gorge of foolishness.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Does anyone else have any thoughts they would like to voice?
Bump
Factbook

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

The sex party sounds like it has fairly respectable positions.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:09 pm

If there was a US version, I would totally vote for it come 2012, a joke party at least admits that it's a joke.

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Meryuma wrote:The sex party sounds like it has fairly respectable positions.

I can imagine it. "Hello my name is Fiona Patten, and I hold the top position in the Sex Party"
Factbook

Offenheim
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:14 pm

You have to admit, the phrase "Victorian Sex Party" is really great!
-Leon Trotsky

-Central Urpaian Front

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Bump
I must say, my research has strongly swayed me that if I were a kiwi, I would vote for the sex party.
Factbook

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:23 pm

NobleBastard wrote:
Meryuma wrote:The sex party sounds like it has fairly respectable positions.

I can imagine it. "Hello my name is Fiona Patten, and I hold the top position in the Sex Party"

Someone needs to be the missionary, hint hint.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Kobeanare
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:26 pm

NobleBastard wrote:Bump
I must say, my research has strongly swayed me that if I were a kiwi, I would vote for the sex party.

Kiwis are from New Zealand, the Sex Party is in Australia.

NobleBastard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby NobleBastard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Kobeanare wrote:
NobleBastard wrote:Bump

Kiwis are from New Zealand, the Sex Party is in Australia.

I apologize profusively. If I were an Aussie.
Factbook

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 am

Helertia wrote:
Norstal wrote:Yeah, but then think of how horrendous recruitment would be.

Thats horrendous?

Imagine Gordon Brown saying it.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 am

And either of them would look like statesmen next to the Tea Party.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Offenheim
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Gauthier wrote:And either of them would look like statesmen next to the Tea Party.

They look like statesmen next to real parties, too.
-Leon Trotsky

-Central Urpaian Front

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General