NATION

PASSWORD

Whats up with hate on religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Vitius wrote:
Buurdland wrote:Point out contradictory evidence for the Crusades.

The only contradictional thing that I see here is that you'd be willing to kill another human being over the subject of religion; the exact thing you wish to rid the world of.

Never said kill, merely quoted someone who wished to do the same. Regardless it makes me no worse then them as they say they want peace and yet they go on killing. Religion is not only a cause of war but it has shown to poorly affect the health of surgery patients who know people are praying for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Buurdland wrote:
Vitius wrote:The only contradictional thing that I see here is that you'd be willing to kill another human being over the subject of religion; the exact thing you wish to rid the world of.

Never said kill, merely quoted someone who wished to do the same. Regardless it makes me no worse then them as they say they want peace and yet they go on killing. Religion is not only a cause of war but it has shown to poorly affect the health of surgery patients who know people are praying for them.

1. You said you agreed with the first part, minus the sarcastic tone. The first part mentioned burning a human. Whether you wish to use it to intently burn someone's flesh until they horribly die, or to torture them through a method of fear, pain and abuse, it usually inflicts harm to the subject of the burning.
2. The last (major, depending on your definition of 'Crusade') Crusades were about 500+ years ago. Using evidence from a time period that long ago to make an argument in this era is like saying that the nation of Spain (current Spain) is evil because of it's conquistadors.
3. Religion is also a cause of great welfare, shown by the amount of donational churches, religious soup kitchens, etc.
4. Source on the surgery part?
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Corporate Cyborgs
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporate Cyborgs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm

It is probably because of organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church, who make me feel very ashamed of myself sometimes.
Last edited by Corporate Cyborgs on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Corporate Cyborgs wrote:It is probably because of organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church, who make me feel very ashamed of myself sometimes.

Why should the WBC make you ashamed of yourself?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Vitius wrote:
Buurdland wrote:

1. You said you agreed with the first part, minus the sarcastic tone. The first part mentioned burning a human. Whether you wish to use it to intently burn someone's flesh until they horribly die, or to torture them through a method of fear, pain and abuse, it usually inflicts harm to the subject of the burning.
2. The last (major, depending on your definition of 'Crusade') Crusades were about 500+ years ago. Using evidence from a time period that long ago to make an argument in this era is like saying that the nation of Spain (current Spain) is evil because of it's conquistadors.
3. Religion is also a cause of great welfare, shown by the amount of donational churches, religious soup kitchens, etc.

1) They said the same thing regarding the heathens and "witches" did they not? Why should they get away with that?
2) Technically no, take a look at Northern Europe. Those countries are famous for having a much lower religious population then other nations. So tell me, do you think they CHOSE to have religion or was it forced on them continually until their traditions won out?
3) Source? Most of what I see is a bunch of "charity" but they force you to say "Jesus loves me" or some other brainwashing crap. They do not give this "charity" out no strings attached unless they are partnered with a nonreligious charity.
4) The God Delusion, it is sourced in the book to the church that conducted the study
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Corporate Cyborgs
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporate Cyborgs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Corporate Cyborgs wrote:It is probably because of organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church, who make me feel very ashamed of myself sometimes.

Why should the WBC make you ashamed of yourself?

Well, people tend to stereotype an entire group just because of a stupid minority. Well, actually, I think "ashamed" may not be the right word.
Economic Left/Right: 3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Buurdland wrote:Point out contradictory evidence for the Crusades.

Europeans had largely ceased fighting each other for the time being, meanwhile you have all these knights and warriors and nobles sitting around getting antsy, so the Pope starts a crusade to keep them occupied.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Buurdland wrote:
Vitius wrote:1. You said you agreed with the first part, minus the sarcastic tone. The first part mentioned burning a human. Whether you wish to use it to intently burn someone's flesh until they horribly die, or to torture them through a method of fear, pain and abuse, it usually inflicts harm to the subject of the burning.

1) They said the same thing regarding the heathens and "witches" did they not? Why should they get away with that?
2) Technically no, take a look at Northern Europe. Those countries are famous for having a much lower religious population then other nations. So tell me, do you think they CHOSE to have religion or was it forced on them continually until their traditions won out?
3) Source? Most of what I see is a bunch of "charity" but they force you to say "Jesus loves me" or some other brainwashing crap. They do not give this "charity" out no strings attached unless they are partnered with a nonreligious charity.
4) The God Delusion, it is sourced in the book to the church that conducted the study

1. I didn't say they shouldn't. I was talking about your hypocricy in the whole thing.
2. I really don't get what you're saying here. The young population has a lack of religion, which they chose themselves. There was NO crusade at any time against northern European religions in the last 30 years.
3. In Detroit, there are several religious soup kitchens. I happen to volunteer at a Catholic soup kitchen in my spare time (I'm Jewish), and I have never seen any sort of extra religious involvement besides "God Bless You" (which comes from both the workers and the people being fed)
4. This might be a byproduct of that: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 133554.htm
The researhcer say they have no idea why that happened and that they do not challenge the existence of God. Could be a common coincidence, could be a real coorelation.

However, I have to go to bed, so my response will be late.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Primorum Libertorum
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Primorum Libertorum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:Good Samaritan (Luke 10: 25-37). The Samaritans and the Jews had been at war for a hundred years at that point, so if you imagine the relatively tame feelings towards Muslims in this country and multiply it by about 500, you get the idea.

Well, this is the way the parable would have went if his audience had consisted of Liberals instead :D

Sociobiology wrote:can anyone give me a negative effect if everyone on earth stopped believing in religion tomorrow. one that in some way compensates for the millions killed in its name would be best, but i'll settle for some evidence based negative effect.

You have millions of Christians who openly admit that the only reason they don't sodomize children is the fear of getting punished. Of course they don't phrase it exactly that way, but they state repeatedly and firmly that without the instance "God" they would see no reason for moral behavior, and they explicitly name murder and other gruesome atrocities as examples. Just think of the crimes within the Catholic Church to get an impression of what happens when such people are not constantly afraid of having to suffer the consequences of their deeds. You don't want these lunatics to lose - according to their own statements! - the only inhibition that prevents them from going on one hell of a rape spree.

Religion is needed to keep the apes in line.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:So you want violence? :eyebrow:

I am to (agnostic)Athiesm as the Taliban is to the Islam and the Westboro Church to Christianity.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... :oops:
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Primorum Libertorum wrote:
Los Cabreddes wrote:Good Samaritan (Luke 10: 25-37). The Samaritans and the Jews had been at war for a hundred years at that point, so if you imagine the relatively tame feelings towards Muslims in this country and multiply it by about 500, you get the idea.

Well, this is the way the parable would have went if his audience had consisted of Liberals instead :D

Sociobiology wrote:can anyone give me a negative effect if everyone on earth stopped believing in religion tomorrow. one that in some way compensates for the millions killed in its name would be best, but i'll settle for some evidence based negative effect.

You have millions of Christians who openly admit that the only reason they don't sodomize children is the fear of getting punished. Of course they don't phrase it exactly that way, but they state repeatedly and firmly that without the instance "God" they would see no reason for moral behavior, and they explicitly name murder and other gruesome atrocities as examples. Just think of the crimes within the Catholic Church to get an impression of what happens when such people are not constantly afraid of having to suffer the consequences of their deeds. You don't want these lunatics to lose - according to their own statements! - the only inhibition that prevents them from going on one hell of a rape spree.

How truly misguided you are. The audactity to call everyone religious an ape. The arrogance.
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:00 pm

That's quite the rude statement right there.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:11 pm

And not everyone sees the Bible as something to be terrified of.

We don't all call it the "good news" ironically.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Primorum Libertorum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Primorum Libertorum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Jedi8246 wrote:How truly misguided you are. The audactity to call everyone religious an ape. The arrogance.

Mosasauria wrote:That's quite the rude statement right there.

Yeah, I am well aware that you monkeys are living in a constant state of denial. Ernest Cline has already addressed that issue perfectly almost five years ago :lol:

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Jedi8246 wrote:How truly misguided you are. The audactity to call everyone religious an ape. The arrogance.

Yeah, I am well aware that you monkeys are living in a constant state of denial. Ernest Cline has already addressed that issue perfectly almost five years ago :lol:

So your 'peaceful' answer to everything is to troll? Look, I'm a Deist, and against most religions, but calling people 'monkeys' and saying their 'living in denial' is going way too far.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Actually, Mr. Cline is incorrect.

We're not monkeys, we're apes.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Geniasis wrote:

Actually, not even.
We're hominids, not apes. We share a common ancestor with apes and monkeys.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Geniasis wrote:

Actually, not even.

We're in the Superfamily of Hominoidea along with all other apes, and the family of Hominidae which we share with Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangutans--the Great Apes. You have to actually go to the Genus to diverge from the rest.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:Actually, not even.

We're in the Superfamily of Hominoidea along with all other apes, and the family of Hominidae which we share with Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangutans--the Great Apes. You have to actually go to the Genus to diverge from the rest.

Damn, I've been out of that loop for too long!

Primorum Libertorum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Primorum Libertorum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Mosasauria wrote:So your 'peaceful' answer to everything is to troll?

Oh, are you one of those guys who define anything that makes them feel uncomfortable as "trolling"? Well, I can assure you that I am not genuinely interested in making you feel uncomfortable. You better don't even expect me to remember your name.

Mosasauria wrote:Look, I'm a Deist, and against most religions, but calling people 'monkeys' and saying their 'living in denial' is going way too far.

Please move to the back of the line. The "Saying humans are just another kind of animal is going way too far!" guys from the 19th century queued long before you. Also, Deists are just a branch of Theists. Why did you emphasize that, did you hope for any special treatment? ;)

And regarding the naming: Ernest Cline addresses that at 0:36 :lol:
Last edited by Primorum Libertorum on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Primorum Libertorum wrote:And regarding the naming: Ernest Cline addresses that at 0:36 :lol:

I knows he says that. It doesn't make it true.

Primorum Libertorum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Primorum Libertorum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Geniasis wrote:I knows he says that. It doesn't make it true.

"Not true" in the sense of "Not my viewpoint"? ;)

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Mosasauria wrote:So your 'peaceful' answer to everything is to troll?

Oh, are you one of those guys who define anything that makes them feel uncomfortable as "trolling"? Well, I can assure you that I am not genuinely interested in making you feel uncomfortable. You better don't even expect me to remember your name.

Mosasauria wrote:Look, I'm a Deist, and against most religions, but calling people 'monkeys' and saying their 'living in denial' is going way too far.

Please move to the back of the line. The "Saying humans are just another kind of animal is going way too far!" guys from the 19th century queued long before you. Also, Deists are just a branch of Theists. Why did you emphasize that, did you hope for any special treatment? ;)

And regarding the naming: Ernest Cline addresses that at 0:36 :lol:

No, I'm pointing out that you happen trolling people by using a thinly veiled way of calling them stupid. And I pointed out that I'm a Deist to make the point that while I disagree with others, trolling is not the answer.
Last edited by Mosasauria on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm

So you believe it because Ernest Cline says it? :eyebrow:

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:11 pm

"Not true" in the sense that it is empirically incorrect.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General