NATION

PASSWORD

The Holy Bible: Good, or Evil?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Bible a good *moral foundation*

Yes.
54%
No.
46%

Total votes : 360

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 am

YaoiFangirlLand wrote:Yes and no. If you look at the main points of the Bible, it's alright. You know, loving your neighbor, being a good Samaritan, helping others, etc.
But when you take it too far or use it to promote sexism, and all that other stuff OP mentioned, then not so much. It's over 2000 years old and has been translated so much, of course it'd going to be off. What really pisses me off is when people claim to be good, moral Christians, then go on doing hate speeches and the like. WTF? WWJD?
I think it needs to be updated. Like in the Old Testament it says that it's an abomination to: eat pork/shellfish, wear clothing made of mixed materials, and be in the prescence of a woman on her period. In our day and age, who HASN'T done at least one of those?

Who hasn't?

As for translations of the Bible, it's really only been translated into vernacular languages in the last 500 years or so. And even then, we have a very large number of manuscripts, especially of the New Testament, going back in some cases to the 2nd and 3rd centuries (I can't really say about the OT, not having studied the manuscript tradition). So I don't think modern versions are "off."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 am

Farnhamia wrote:
YaoiFangirlLand wrote:Yes and no. If you look at the main points of the Bible, it's alright. You know, loving your neighbor, being a good Samaritan, helping others, etc.
But when you take it too far or use it to promote sexism, and all that other stuff OP mentioned, then not so much. It's over 2000 years old and has been translated so much, of course it'd going to be off. What really pisses me off is when people claim to be good, moral Christians, then go on doing hate speeches and the like. WTF? WWJD?
I think it needs to be updated. Like in the Old Testament it says that it's an abomination to: eat pork/shellfish, wear clothing made of mixed materials, and be in the prescence of a woman on her period. In our day and age, who HASN'T done at least one of those?

Who hasn't?

As for translations of the Bible, it's really only been translated into vernacular languages in the last 500 years or so. And even then, we have a very large number of manuscripts, especially of the New Testament, going back in some cases to the 2nd and 3rd centuries (I can't really say about the OT, not having studied the manuscript tradition). So I don't think modern versions are "off."

How can you not love Nation States in school?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:22 am

Beldonia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Who hasn't?

How can you not love Nation States in school?

Huh?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Beldonia wrote:How can you not love Nation States in school?

Huh?

I'm in school and playing Nation States. And that is why the American school system is failing.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:24 am

Beldonia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Huh?

I'm in school and playing Nation States. And that is why the American school system is failing.

I don't know about that but it could be one of the reasons your grades aren't everything they should be.

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Beldonia wrote:I'm in school and playing Nation States. And that is why the American school system is failing.

I don't know about that but it could be one of the reasons your grades aren't everything they should be.

I get straight A's.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 am

Beldonia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I don't know about that but it could be one of the reasons your grades aren't everything they should be.

I get straight A's.

And yet you're a creationist. I'm not sure which to doubt, your veracity or the standards at your school.

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Beldonia wrote:I get straight A's.

And yet you're a creationist. I'm not sure which to doubt, your veracity or the standards at your school.

I regurgitate the information that is taught to me. I don't necessarily agree with it.

Guervoy Imperiya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Guervoy Imperiya » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am

Well, the Bible itself isn't good at all from what I've heard.
However, all those dainty little sunday schools and churches have made it into a pleasant fairytale where you get to reach for the sky and whisper to a giant bearded man while secretly training to fight off the legions of daemons under Satan eventually.
So, choices are to become a Dungeons and Dragons worshipper or to become a closet gun-toting end-of-the-world conspirator.

Ghanara
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ghanara » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am

I believe the Holy Bible is neither good nor evil. Rather, it is misunderstood and ignorant. All of the information in it is outdated in this day and age.
Money makes the world go round.

This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Looking for an awesome region? Try Cherowaka!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 am

Ghanara wrote:I believe the Holy Bible is neither good nor evil. Rather, it is misunderstood and ignorant. All of the information in it is outdated in this day and age.

All the information is outdated? No. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" is not outdated, nor is it ignorant. The Old Testament is a collection of myths and legends and poems and chronicles of the ancient Hebrews. The New Testament is a collection of the foundation documents of the Jewish break-away sect that accepted an itinerant teacher from Galilee as the Jewish Messiah.

@Guervoy Imperiya: You need to get out more.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ghanara wrote:I believe the Holy Bible is neither good nor evil. Rather, it is misunderstood and ignorant. All of the information in it is outdated in this day and age.

All the information is outdated? No. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" is not outdated, nor is it ignorant. The Old Testament is a collection of myths and legends and poems and chronicles of the ancient Hebrews. The New Testament is a collection of the foundation documents of the Jewish break-away sect that accepted an itinerant teacher from Galilee as the Jewish Messiah.

It's a liitle outdated. For one thing the neighbour bit shouldn't be taken literally and the language needs a facelift.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 am

DaWoad wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:All the information is outdated? No. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" is not outdated, nor is it ignorant. The Old Testament is a collection of myths and legends and poems and chronicles of the ancient Hebrews. The New Testament is a collection of the foundation documents of the Jewish break-away sect that accepted an itinerant teacher from Galilee as the Jewish Messiah.

It's a liitle outdated. For one thing the neighbour bit shouldn't be taken literally and the language needs a facelift.

One of the problems though in the newer translations (from say, King James to Contemporary Language or even NIV) is that certain passages begin to have their meanings altered from translation to translation. The language of one generation may be translated literally in contemporary versions, while the original source may have meant something different.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Zustash Alath
Envoy

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zustash Alath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

The Truth and Light wrote:It's a book written 2000 years ago for a herding society.

If anything, it's outdated.

This^

I know I might be 25 pages late, but still.
Basically anything "Holy" is evil. Holy wars, holy land, holy bible.
We are a proud nation of dwarves. Fear our drunken wrath!
Storefront
Factbook

A citizen of Zustash Alåth is called an Alåthian, but our race is dwarves. You can still call us dwarves, but we have a couple of humans, goblins, elves, and kobolds in here too (whom we wish would leave)
Q&A about our nation
This is Nekronia's nation. IC it's just an ally, but OOC it's still me.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

New Azura wrote:
DaWoad wrote:It's a liitle outdated. For one thing the neighbour bit shouldn't be taken literally and the language needs a facelift.

One of the problems though in the newer translations (from say, King James to Contemporary Language or even NIV) is that certain passages begin to have their meanings altered from translation to translation. The language of one generation may be translated literally in contemporary versions, while the original source may have meant something different.

Which passages? I think careful, competent scholarship can produce a faithful translation. There are a few versions, no doubt, that use inter-linear literal translations but those are, to me, anyway, more novelties than anything else.

Reimu
Secretary

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Reimu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 am

A book about a religion. Outdated but with a good message that generally inspires people to try to be good to others.

also inspires smug assholes to make polls about whether the book is good or evil (protip: it's the person reading it who is either of those two, and most people are neutral anyway)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 am

Farnhamia wrote:
New Azura wrote:

Which passages? I think careful, competent scholarship can produce a faithful translation. There are a few versions, no doubt, that use inter-linear literal translations but those are, to me, anyway, more novelties than anything else.

I've got one where, each time there was not a direct translation of the concept provided (because that happens between languages), there are footnote references of what the original word was, how it was used, what concept it was trying to convey, and why those those the word or words they did in an attempt to make it as close to the original as possible.

Of course, it hasn't moved from the shelf in years... but in principle, that's the kind of translation that I would reference.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Zustash Alath
Envoy

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zustash Alath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am

Reimu wrote:(most people are neutral anyway)

I disagree.
We are a proud nation of dwarves. Fear our drunken wrath!
Storefront
Factbook

A citizen of Zustash Alåth is called an Alåthian, but our race is dwarves. You can still call us dwarves, but we have a couple of humans, goblins, elves, and kobolds in here too (whom we wish would leave)
Q&A about our nation
This is Nekronia's nation. IC it's just an ally, but OOC it's still me.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Which passages? I think careful, competent scholarship can produce a faithful translation. There are a few versions, no doubt, that use inter-linear literal translations but those are, to me, anyway, more novelties than anything else.

I've got one where, each time there was not a direct translation of the concept provided (because that happens between languages), there are footnote references of what the original word was, how it was used, what concept it was trying to convey, and why those those the word or words they did in an attempt to make it as close to the original as possible.

Of course, it hasn't moved from the shelf in years... but in principle, that's the kind of translation that I would reference.

I quite agree, that's a decent edition of the book.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:I've got one where, each time there was not a direct translation of the concept provided (because that happens between languages), there are footnote references of what the original word was, how it was used, what concept it was trying to convey, and why those those the word or words they did in an attempt to make it as close to the original as possible.

I quite agree, that's a decent edition of the book.

Quite, because with what limited amount I know about languages, I know that there is sometimes not a direct way to translate from A to B. A particular concept may not exist in a certain language, or, perhaps, a concept does not exist in a modern society as a standalone item that did exist as such in the society of the time.

Thus, explanations of certain passages are required to maintain the meaning from one language to the other, and from one time period to another.

Any Bible (or any book, for that matter) that doesn't do that, is actually doing a disservice to its readers.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Reimu wrote:A book about a religion. Outdated but with a good message that generally inspires people to try to be good to others.

also inspires smug assholes to make polls about whether the book is good or evil (protip: it's the person reading it who is either of those two, and most people are neutral anyway)

I wouldn't say most people are neutral, I'd say most people are general X with the ability to occasionally do Y.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Reimu wrote:A book about a religion. Outdated but with a good message that generally inspires people to try to be good to others.

I wouldn't say most people are neutral, I'd say most people are general X with the ability to occasionally do Y.

And some of us even do Z on occasion. :blush:

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:I wouldn't say most people are neutral, I'd say most people are general X with the ability to occasionally do Y.

And some of us even do Z on occasion. :blush:

Farn! We don't talk about Z in public! I thought we went over this! :p

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Very wrong.
Religion can get good people to perform evil deeds.
Hint: Do you think that the crusaders in the middle ages, or *all of those* who performed pogroms on jews during the plague were just looking for an excuse to take others' property or lives?
Same with the foot soldiers who blow themselves up all over Israel - you think they'd do so if they weren't thinking they are doing a service to their faith and Allah will reward them?
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Central Slavia wrote:Religion can get good people to perform evil deeds.
Hint: Do you think that the crusaders in the middle ages, or *all of those* who performed pogroms on jews during the plague were just looking for an excuse to take others' property or lives?
Same with the foot soldiers who blow themselves up all over Israel - you think they'd do so if they weren't thinking they are doing a service to their faith and Allah will reward them?

Actually the Crusaders were (according to some things I've read) just looking for an excuse to take others' property or lives; the idea of the Crusades was to get them doing it somewhere else than Europe, preferably to "heathens" (Muslims) and "heretics" (Orthodox Christians). Some people don't need any excuse to be evil.
Still, your basic point is, sadly, quite right. :(
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General