NATION

PASSWORD

Wikileaks Mega Thread!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Mercator Terra wrote::lol2: someone has a thing for the global warming.

No, I just think that if global-warming is not an event caused by man, in other words an unstoppable force of nature, we should redirect all the money we've been uselessly pouring into efforts to stop global warming and do something useful with it. We could prepare ourselves better for coming climate changes, or provide more relief aid to countries where people are dying every few minutes or so from easily preventable conditions such as malnutrition, dehydration, or malaria. Even if global-warming is being caused by man (something I sincerely doubt), it would be nice to know what the extent is so that our governments have a more solid backing for restrictive policy changes they make.

[EDIT] In an effort not to derail...

So no matter what kind of data is released the effect will be positive either way. Evidence to discount man-made global-warming means money gets redirected to things that actually matter. Evidence to support man-made global-warming means more support for the necessary restrictive laws that are going to be necessary to slow or reverse the phenomenon.
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

I believe it is a natural cycle. I also believe that the earth can handle all that we throw at it.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:I believe it is a natural cycle. I also believe that the earth can handle all that we throw at it.

And I believe that you've done some cursory research on the matter.

Sadly, beliefs aren't always supported by reality.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Tekcirb
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekcirb » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 am

Long Live Great Hero Julian Assange! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:49 am

Long live ignoranse!
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:18 am

Mercator Terra wrote:I believe it is a natural cycle. I also believe that the earth can handle all that we throw at it.

Yet another example of your being naive. It may or may not be a natural cycle, but your also stupid if you think the earth can handle a couple thousand nukes being detonated at roughly the same time(Cold War?). The ecosphere would simply cease to exist, the earth would be, at best, capable of harboring a few species underground, with another ice age going on at the surface.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 am

Strykla wrote:

Yet another example of your being naive. It may or may not be a natural cycle, but your also stupid if you think the earth can handle a couple thousand nukes being detonated at roughly the same time(Cold War?). The ecosphere would simply cease to exist, the earth would be, at best, capable of harboring a few species underground, with another ice age going on at the surface.

But the earth would, indeed, survive.

Similarly, Global Climate Change is not about the earth ceasing to exist. It is about earth becoming less nice for us to live on.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 am

Strykla wrote:

Im talking peace time. Thousands of nukes would in my opinion surly destroy the earth.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am

Mercator Terra wrote:
Strykla wrote:Yet another example of your being naive. It may or may not be a natural cycle, but your also stupid if you think the earth can handle a couple thousand nukes being detonated at roughly the same time(Cold War?). The ecosphere would simply cease to exist, the earth would be, at best, capable of harboring a few species underground, with another ice age going on at the surface.

Im talking peace time. Thousands of nukes would in my opinion surly destroy the earth.

Human civilisation - yes.
Earth ? No. We are curently unable to physically crack this planet.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Im talking peace time. Thousands of nukes would in my opinion surly destroy the earth.

Idk it might but I have no experience with how much damage one of these bombs can make. So you might as well be right.
Vecherd wrote:

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Idk it might but I have no experience with how much damage one of these bombs can make. So you might as well be right.

Yet another example of your being naive. In any case, most organisms would die in a disaster, natural or otherwise, that is large enough to affect the entire planet.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

H isow he exposing any if those things? None of them are even remotely secret.

Nah but some of the things we do are. I never claimed the wars were secret. But what we do there some of it is. More or less it shows people what actually goes on there.
Nothing really big I found it interesting. Both wars are a joke they're a waste of time and money.
http://213.251.145.96/search/

Have you even looked at those documents? They're all incredibly bland and reveal absolutely nothing new. They only way there's anything remotely resembling a surprise in them is if you haven't been paying attention at all for the past decade.

And I'm not even particularly bothered by the Afghanistan documents--they're so boring and content-free as to be irrelevant. In fact, they'll probably only have a negative effect on transparency, as these sorts of general "document dumps" tend to reveal nothing at all, while increasing security, and limiting the likelihood of a leak that would bring something real forth.

I am bothered by the leaking of diplomatic cables. I've already laid out why I object so strongly to this leak in particular. I don't feel like I need to go over it again and again and again.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Andaluciae wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Nah but some of the things we do are. I never claimed the wars were secret. But what we do there some of it is. More or less it shows people what actually goes on there.
Nothing really big I found it interesting. Both wars are a joke they're a waste of time and money.
http://213.251.145.96/search/

Have you even looked at those documents? They're all incredibly bland and reveal absolutely nothing new. They only way there's anything remotely resembling a surprise in them is if you haven't been paying attention at all for the past decade.

And I'm not even particularly bothered by the Afghanistan documents--they're so boring and content-free as to be irrelevant. In fact, they'll probably only have a negative effect on transparency, as these sorts of general "document dumps" tend to reveal nothing at all, while increasing security, and limiting the likelihood of a leak that would bring something real forth.

I am bothered by the leaking of diplomatic cables. I've already laid out why I object so strongly to this leak in particular. I don't feel like I need to go over it again and again and again.

I never said you would find them interesting. I said I found them interesting. With our without those documents im against both wars. (Support the troops not the war)
Vecherd wrote:

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 pm

Strykla wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Idk it might but I have no experience with how much damage one of these bombs can make. So you might as well be right.

Yet another example of your being naive. In any case, most organisms would die in a disaster, natural or otherwise, that is large enough to affect the entire planet.

Did I deny that? I said I dont know the damage a nuke can make and if a large amount of them can destroy the earth or not.
Vecherd wrote:

Holy Cheese and Shoes
Attaché

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Cheese and Shoes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:40 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Strykla wrote:Yet another example of your being naive. It may or may not be a natural cycle, but your also stupid if you think the earth can handle a couple thousand nukes being detonated at roughly the same time(Cold War?). The ecosphere would simply cease to exist, the earth would be, at best, capable of harboring a few species underground, with another ice age going on at the surface.

Similarly, Global Climate Change is not about the earth ceasing to exist. It is about earth becoming less nice for us to live on.

Just being a pedant, but a couple of thousand nukes have been detonated at roughly the same time. Certainly 'roughly the same time' as far as the age of the earth is concerned i.e. 60 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SlGQaCUoqc

And we're still here - yay!
Dumb Ideologies:Without the lowest common denominator, man would not be able to carry out basic calculations involving fractions. Think carefully before you dare criticize this wonderful invention and sully the names of those behind it.

Forget you were playing?

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Destroy the earth...as in Alderaan style? Nope.
But they can make it unlivable except possible highly rural areas. To be honest, chemical/biological are more threatening to the human race, but because no one can stop them, governments have hidden the threat. We can make it unlivable.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Holy Cheese and Shoes wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Just being a pedant, but a couple of thousand nukes have been detonated at roughly the same time. Certainly 'roughly the same time' as far as the age of the earth is concerned i.e. 60 years

Im talking simultaneousness. Though the video is interesting non the less.
Vecherd wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:09 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

You aren't being pedantic, you're being disingenuous. Only two of those nuclear weapons were detonated in urban areas. of the 2,402 test detonations between 1945 and 2009, 21% (527) were performed in the atmosphere and 89% (1875) underground. I would suggest that an underground test has far greater environmental consequences than an atmospheric test.

Imagine those 2,402 weapons being detonated in heavily populated areas in the space of one or two days, not 64 years.

Oh yeah, source: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/nuctestsum.html
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 pm

*Drool*

Holy Cheese and Shoes
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Cheese and Shoes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

You aren't being pedantic, you're being disingenuous. Only two of those nuclear weapons were detonated in urban areas. of the 2,402 test detonations between 1945 and 2009, 21% (527) were performed in the atmosphere and 89% (1875) underground. I would suggest that an underground test has far greater environmental consequences than an atmospheric test.

Imagine those 2,402 weapons being detonated in heavily populated areas in the space of one or two days, not 64 years.

It's not disingenuous, as there was no specification of where a nuclear explosion had to be, and how long a period roughly the same time was. And I pointed that out quite frankly. That was in fact, the point of my post....

PS

happy new year!
Dumb Ideologies:Without the lowest common denominator, man would not be able to carry out basic calculations involving fractions. Think carefully before you dare criticize this wonderful invention and sully the names of those behind it.

Forget you were playing?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:You aren't being pedantic, you're being disingenuous. Only two of those nuclear weapons were detonated in urban areas. of the 2,402 test detonations between 1945 and 2009, 21% (527) were performed in the atmosphere and 89% (1875) underground. I would suggest that an underground test has far greater environmental consequences than an atmospheric test.

It's not disingenuous, as there was no specification of where a nuclear explosion had to be, and how long a period roughly the same time was. And I pointed that out quite frankly. That was in fact, the point of my post....

PS

happy new year!

Of course it was disingenuous. Why else would you end with "And we're still here - yay!"

And a Happy New Year to you, too.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:30 am

And you're right, despite any of our actions the earth will remain.... But the issued with climate change isn't the survivability issue of the physical planetary body, but its biosphere and also our species.
Such heroic nonsense!

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 am

Tekania wrote:

And you're right, despite any of our actions the earth will remain.... But the issued with climate change isn't the survivability issue of the physical planetary body, but its biosphere and also our species.

Well like I said I think if someone launched a thousand nukes simultaneously in the same spot something might happen. But what im talking about is just what happens everyday.
Vecherd wrote:

Holy Cheese and Shoes
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Cheese and Shoes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 am

Farnhamia wrote:Of course it was disingenuous. Why else would you end with "And we're still here - yay!"

And a Happy New Year to you, too.

How was that disingenuous?

Facetious, perhaps. Flippant, maybe. But we digress from the thread.... About climate change. No wait, government systems. No wait - it's Wikileaks!

What's happening with Assange these days? I haven't hear a peep about him on the news. Anyone know when the next juicy stuff is out?

Forget you were playing?

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:51 am

Mercator Terra wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

I never said you would find them interesting. I said I found them interesting. With our without those documents im against both wars. (Support the troops not the war)

And I'm not concerned with whether or not you find them interesting. I'm concerned with whether or not they actually contain any new or revelatory material--and they don't. Short of the actual text, everything in the leaked documents was already available through a variety of other sources.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the wars either. The Afghan War Logs added absolutely nothing to the discussion--and they served as a incentive for governments to tighten controls on information, and limit transparency. They are fundamentally counter-productive.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General