NATION

PASSWORD

No more meat?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Here ya go, I'm pretty surprised you actually need evidence that people are omnivores.

Here's the definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore

If you don't think humans are omnivores after reading the definition there's no hope for you.

I'm surprised your reading skills are as atrocious as they are.

Mavorpen wrote:First of all, there's a difference between being wrong, and lying. If you think I'm wrong, provide evidence. Also, you probably should have read my previous posts in the first place, because I specifically emphasized that biologically we are herbivores. Behaviorally we are omnivores. I never denied this.

Your source defines behavioral omnivores.

Humans lack the characteristic digestive traits of herbivores.

How are we herbivores?
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Trollgaard wrote:How about the fact that are digestive tract is basically halfway between the lengths of herbivores and carnivores. We are biological and behavioral omnivores.

Carnivores have intestinal tracts 3-6 times their body length. Herbivores' are 10-20. Humans are about at 10-12.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Humans lack the characteristic digestive traits of herbivores.

How are we herbivores?

Such as?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:How about the fact that are digestive tract is basically halfway between the lengths of herbivores and carnivores. We are biological and behavioral omnivores.

Carnivores have intestinal tracts 3-6 times their body length. Herbivores' are 10-20. Humans are about at 10-12.

Herbivores are a bit more than that, I think. More than 10.

Humans are a nice distance in between. Sure, we SHOULD probably eat more vegetables and what not than meat, but we can eat meat just fine, and have since...forever.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Herbivores are a bit more than that, I think. More than 10.

No, generally it's 10-20 on average. Some go even above 20.
Trollgaard wrote:Humans are a nice distance in between. Sure, we SHOULD probably eat more vegetables and what not than meat, but we can eat meat just fine, and have since...forever.

I'm not debating this. I'm not debating against the notion that we can eat meat "just fine." I'm arguing against the notion that this justifies eating it when we can survive and live healthy lives without it.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I lol'd my ass off when Gauthier posted a link that supports me and quickly deleted it.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Trollgaard wrote:Humans are a nice distance in between. Sure, we SHOULD probably eat more vegetables and what not than meat, but we can eat meat just fine, and have since...forever.

I'm not debating this. I'm not debating against the notion that we can eat meat "just fine." I'm arguing against the notion that this justifies eating it when we can survive and live healthy lives without it.

Human societies have always valued meat. You have to change thousands an thousands of year of beliefs. It going to be impossible to stop the inertia meat eating has built.

Should we eat less, of course, but cut it out something we have always eating? hell no.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Human societies have always valued meat. You have to change thousands an thousands of year of beliefs. It going to be impossible to stop the inertia meat eating has built.

Okay. This has nothing to do with the debate whatsoever.
Trollgaard wrote:Should we eat less, of course, but cut it out something we have always eating? hell no.

Yes, we should. It's a silly argument that falls apart when applied to something else we have always done: slavery.

Edit: Sorry if I don't reply to your next post immediately, I'm going to watch a movie.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Human societies have always valued meat. You have to change thousands an thousands of year of beliefs. It going to be impossible to stop the inertia meat eating has built.

Okay. This has nothing to do with the debate whatsoever.
Trollgaard wrote:Should we eat less, of course, but cut it out something we have always eating? hell no.

Yes, we should. It's a silly argument that falls apart when applied to something else we have always done: slavery.

I think all aspects of meat eating are relevant to a debate about ending meat eating. Knowing that meat eating as been glorified in most societies for thousands of years all over the world should give you a clue as to the scale of the issue.

We haven't always had slavery, though. Its been around for a long time, yes, but we haven't always had it. Hunter-gatherers didn't have slaves.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Good thing I kill and eat people :lol:

/sarcasm
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Maresborough
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maresborough » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

fish could be used as a replacement. its relatively easy to acquire, and theres a lot of it.
Nice to meet ya, I am Billboard Leeroy, and I am with the Church of the Flavorful Pastery. Would you like some Gregory in you today?

TUMBLR:
http://kirbyzilla.tumblr.com/

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I think all aspects of meat eating are relevant to a debate about ending meat eating. Knowing that meat eating as been glorified in most societies for thousands of years all over the world should give you a clue as to the scale of the issue.

Again though, things that have been glorified for centuries all over the world we have done away with.
Trollgaard wrote:We haven't always had slavery, though. Its been around for a long time, yes, but we haven't always had it. Hunter-gatherers didn't have slaves.

No, some of them had slaves, it was just extremely rare due to the need for social differentiation.

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Maresborough wrote:fish could be used as a replacement. its relatively easy to acquire, and theres a lot of it.

I wish that were true.

I don't appeal for justification for eating anything. I just do it. Nike Commercial inserted.
Last edited by Norsklow on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

Maresborough
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maresborough » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Norsklow wrote:
Maresborough wrote:fish could be used as a replacement. its relatively easy to acquire, and theres a lot of it.

I wish that were true.

Well, fish is tasty, that much is true...
Nice to meet ya, I am Billboard Leeroy, and I am with the Church of the Flavorful Pastery. Would you like some Gregory in you today?

TUMBLR:
http://kirbyzilla.tumblr.com/

Ridicularia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ridicularia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

We'd pretty much fish out the ocean in no time.
Edit: I would also like it to be known that fish is delicious. Save the fish, man. I want more.
Last edited by Ridicularia on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Maresborough wrote:
Norsklow wrote:I wish that were true.

Well, fish is tasty, that much is true...

Aaaaah... long way back, you could get yerself a bucket of whitefish and fry it for a week for a couple of quid.
These days? Nothing but 2 fishcakes for a couple of quid.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, generally it's 10-20 on average. Some go even above 20.

Human societies have always valued meat. You have to change thousands an thousands of year of beliefs. It going to be impossible to stop the inertia meat eating has built.

Should we eat less, of course, but cut it out something we have always eating? hell no.

None of this changes the central fact that Mavorpen is arguing: that we are not far at all removed, evolutionarily, from our herbivorous ancestors. Meat eating behavior is a relatively recent phenomenon in our evolutionary line, and it probably wasn't until Homo erectus that it became an important part of our diet. This is why our teeth and digestive tract are not that much different from our primarily herbivorous fellow primates. That's why we have problems with cholesterol; we don't have the short, smooth intestinal tract that most carnivores have to reduce the excess absorption of it.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I lol'd my ass off when Gauthier posted a link that supports me and quickly deleted it.

Because finding information that isn't vegan propaganda is a laugh riot right?

Omnivore vs Vegan Who is Right?

Omnivore Vs. Vegetarian
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Why bother? Engaging into debating morality of food is decadence per se.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Not having enough meat is the tip of the iceberg compared to what real problems we'd be facing if there were 9 billion people in the world in another 40 years.

People should stop having so many babies.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Furthermore, I refuse to alter my diet of caviar, truffles and wagyu beef.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Not having enough meat is the tip of the iceberg compared to what real problems we'd be facing if there were 9 billion people in the world in another 40 years.

Which they wont do. Pie should come out of the sky.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Not having enough meat is the tip of the iceberg compared to what real problems we'd be facing if there were 9 billion people in the world in another 40 years.

Short of forcible sterilization, the only way to get people to stop breeding so much is to give them higher education and income. People with higher education and income tend to reproduce less readily than most.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

None of this changes the central fact that Mavorpen is arguing: that we are not far at all removed, evolutionarily, from our herbivorous ancestors. Meat eating behavior is a relatively recent phenomenon in our evolutionary line, and it probably wasn't until Homo erectus that it became an important part of our diet. This is why our teeth and digestive tract are not that much different from our primarily herbivorous fellow primates. That's why we have problems with cholesterol; we don't have the short, smooth intestinal tract that most carnivores have to reduce the excess absorption of it.

you do realize you are trying to compare us to carnivores (obligate carnivores at that) not omnivores right, our digestive system looks a lot like a bears.

meat eating and active hunting exists in chimps. so no not all that recent. We are also better at eating and digesting meat than chimps, although many people still eat too much.

and the recentness is meaningless when you are using the even more recent advances in logical abstract thought to justify it.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

we can survive on just wheat, yeast, and nori so why should we grow bananas and lettuce?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General