NATION

PASSWORD

Should the possession of marijuana be legal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I like pre-made pizza but i'm allergic to something in it :/

No
14%
Yes, but only for medical use
12%
Yes, for medical & recreational use
66%
It's already legal for recreational use in my state/country
8%

Total votes : 211

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Organized States wrote:Did I say it didn't occur? No. So don't put words into my mouth.

You said you see no problems with regulating it like alcohol. Yes, that's like saying problems with it, do not exist. It's exactly the same thing.
How is it extortion when it benefits society as a whole? How is it extortion when every civilized society in the history of mankind has done it?

All taxes are extortion.

Right. And all "civilized" societies had slavery and no democracy at one point. Just because everyone does something stupid, does not mean it is not stupid.
What elitists? Oh, you mean the myth that people have used for years to justify extremely severe or ridiculous measures?

Politicians, obviously.

What myth to justify severe measures? You are the one that is trying to justify severe and extreme measures.

I am trying to increase freedom and prosperity.

As for severe measures, raise you the "Jewish Conspiracy", which the Nazis used to justify the Holocaust.

And How am I justifying extreme measures? No system is perfect. Taxes are not extortion, especially when they are for the greater good of society.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 am

The Flood wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Do you have an actual argument, or just flamebait?
You seem to be implying you think there should be no taxes at all. That's kind of hard to argue with, due to the unfathomable level of absurdity.

Taxes are a crime, yes.

Your claims are absurd.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 am

Sibirsky wrote:
The Flood wrote:You seem to be implying you think there should be no taxes at all. That's kind of hard to argue with, due to the unfathomable level of absurdity.

Taxes are a crime, yes.

Your claims are absurd.

How are they a crime when they benefit all of us?

I sure hope you are joking.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 am

Organized States wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:You said you see no problems with regulating it like alcohol. Yes, that's like saying problems with it, do not exist. It's exactly the same thing.

All taxes are extortion.

Right. And all "civilized" societies had slavery and no democracy at one point. Just because everyone does something stupid, does not mean it is not stupid.

Politicians, obviously.

What myth to justify severe measures? You are the one that is trying to justify severe and extreme measures.

I am trying to increase freedom and prosperity.

As for severe measures, raise you the "Jewish Conspiracy", which the Nazis used to justify the Holocaust.

And How am I justifying extreme measures? No system is perfect. Taxes are not extortion, especially when they are for the greater good of society.

What the fuck does favoring untaxed, legal marijuana have to do with the holocaust? Are you high?

Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offense of obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection.

That is exactly the same, as taxation.

Your argument for taxes is pathetically weak. Would extortion stop being extortion if the crime group donated the money to charity? It would be for "the greater good of society," after all.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Lindenholt
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lindenholt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 am

If you arrest people with a joint in their pocket you should arrest people with a can of beer in their fridge and with a pack of cigarettes in their car.
For information: http://iiwiki.us/wiki/Lindenholt
Come to Sunalaya, you'll enjoy it! Sunalaya
This user supports a single state solution for Ventismar.

New Paris 2014, never forget
This user supports a seven state solution for Bograel-Joguestine.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 am

Organized States wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Taxes are a crime, yes.

Your claims are absurd.

How are they a crime when they benefit all of us?

They are funded through extortion.

Benefits are irrelevant. Also bullshit. Leaving people with less income is not a benefit.
I sure hope you are joking.

I don't joke about serious topics.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 am

Oh, good, I was wondering how long it would take for Sibirsky to turn this into an anti-tax rant.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Oh, good, I was wondering how long it would take for Sibirsky to turn this into an anti-tax rant.

I didn't. Another person said the main reason for legalizing marijuana was tax revenue.

Which is just dumb. It's like saying that anything we cannot tax should be banned.

That air you're breathing is illegal. You criminal.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Organized States wrote:As for severe measures, raise you the "Jewish Conspiracy", which the Nazis used to justify the Holocaust.

What the fuck does favoring untaxed, legal marijuana have to do with the holocaust? Are you high?

Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offense of obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection.

Your argument for taxes is pathetically weak. Would extortion stop being extortion if the crime group donated the money to charity? It would be for "the greater good of society," after all.

1. I was simply debunking the idea of "Elitists" that you have, which has been used in the past to commit unspeakable acts of violence against humanity.
2. Your argument against taxation is pathetically week.

This conversation is over. I have no use in debating taxation and common sense laws that will go into effect, especially if Pot is legalized.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Oh, good, I was wondering how long it would take for Sibirsky to turn this into an anti-tax rant.

I didn't. Another person said the main reason for legalizing marijuana was tax revenue.

Which is just dumb. It's like saying that anything we cannot tax should be banned.

No it's not. That's silly. Don't be silly.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 am

Organized States wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:What the fuck does favoring untaxed, legal marijuana have to do with the holocaust? Are you high?

1. I was simply debunking the idea of "Elitists" that you have, which has been used in the past to commit unspeakable acts of violence against humanity.
2. Your argument against taxation is pathetically week.

This conversation is over. I have no use in debating taxation and common sense laws that will go into effect, especially if Pot is legalized.

1. You haven't debunked anything.

2. Your argument that my argument is weak, is nonexistent. You made a claim, and have not backed it up by anything. I provided the definition of extortion. Which is almost the same as taxation. Taxes are funded through coercion. The end.

Of course it is. You have no valid arguments.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:I didn't. Another person said the main reason for legalizing marijuana was tax revenue.

No it's not. That's silly. Don't be silly.

Being silly is fun.

He did claim that the main (but not only, thankfully) argument for legalizing pot was tax revenue.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 am

This isn't a thread about taxation, ladies. If you want one, start one.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Reprieval
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Reprieval » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 am

Yup.
Wisconsin9 wrote:This isn't a thread about taxation, ladies. If you want one, start one.

Amen to that.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:No it's not. That's silly. Don't be silly.

Being silly is fun.

He did claim that the main (but not only, thankfully) argument for legalizing pot was tax revenue.

That wasn't the silly part. Your giant "I'm a hammer, everything's a nail" leap was.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:This isn't a thread about taxation, ladies. If you want one, start one.

The statists made it one.

Organized States wrote:
Freethinking Anarchists wrote:
Don't regulate it...

Then, there is no use for it. One of the main reasons people are in favor of legalizing pot, is to tax the living crap out of it. And if we don't regulate it? How long is it before we have some airline pilot doing pot before he does his job? I'd be fully in favor of legalizing it, but it needs to be extremely regulated.

Right. Medical and recreational use is useless.

All we need is taxes.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 am

Sibirsky wrote:

The statists made it one.

It takes two to tango.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 am

I agree with legalization.

If I couldn't get that, I would settle for decrimination.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:46 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:The statists made it one.

It takes two to tango.

Organized States wrote:
Freethinking Anarchists wrote:
Don't regulate it...

Then, there is no use for it. One of the main reasons people are in favor of legalizing pot, is to tax the living crap out of it. And if we don't regulate it? How long is it before we have some airline pilot doing pot before he does his job? I'd be fully in favor of legalizing it, but it needs to be extremely regulated.

And I addressed this.... comment.

Taxing "the living shit out of it," will only keep it on the black market. It is not hard to find weed anywhere. Including prison.

The morality of taxation was a natural step forward because this person claimed that taxes benefit everyone.

The fact that airlines would probably frown on pilots getting stoned and flying jets worth hundreds of millions of dollars and with hundreds of people onboard was also pointed out.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Syndicapolis
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Syndicapolis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:16 am

Here's what I think: the government should get the hell out of our bodies. And everywhere else. Including existence.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53 am

Syndicapolis wrote:Here's what I think: the government should get the hell out of our bodies. And everywhere else. Including existence.

[AGREEMENT INTENSIFIES]

OT: Cannabis in it's various forms should be legalised, taxed and regulated to ensure better purity of the stuff. if it's tended to by professional botanists and such, cases of poisoning will drop like a stone. Harder drugs however...i'm still iffy about.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 am

Yea, just legalize it already.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Magna Libero
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06 am

Yes, of course. It should be legal and untaxed. Bans are impractical. The state shouldn't decide about these things -- personally I'd go as far as abolish the state. I don't have anything else to add to the discussion at this actual moment.
hi

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 am

Othelos wrote:As the title states, should possession of marijuana be legal?

Imo, yes, because it's none of the government's business as to what I put into my own body. It's also less harmful than alcohol, and it's not possible to become physically addicted to marijuana (which is what everyone is worried about when people use drugs).

What do you think, and why?

of course it should. almost all of the downsides to marijuana are brought about by it being illegal.
whatever

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:22 am

Lord have mercy. Yes already. Please! I want these stoners to just shut up already.
Last edited by Skeckoa on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General