NATION

PASSWORD

Rich Getting Richer in the U.S

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Castille de Italia
Minister

Founded: Mar 22, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Castille de Italia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Olivaero wrote:Obviously They have been working harder than the poor I mean that's what capitalism does isn't it? It rewards Hard work with money the harder some one works the more money they get.... right?

Yes, but some don't realize the importance of a work ethic.
The Castillian Federation | La Fédération Castillia
Fraternité sous notre Fédération

Main Directory | IIWiki | Dramatis Personae | Pan Dienstadi World Airways | Latest Political Crisis
Proud Supporter of the Israeli War of Self-Defense Against Hamas Terrorists
Proud Supporter of Frat Boys Tearing Down Palestinian Solidarity Encampments
Proud Supporter of Waffle House

Nationalist Eminral Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Olivaero wrote:Obviously They have been working harder than the poor I mean that's what capitalism does isn't it? It rewards Hard work with money the harder some one works the more money they get.... right?

Tell me you are joking..
[align=center]
Federation of Eminral RepublicPederasyon ng Republika ng Eminral
エミンラル共和連邦 Federación de la República Eminral

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:

Tell me you are joking..

If anything, capitalism doesn't necessarily value hard work, otherwise Mexican laborers would be billionaires. It rewards valued knowledge, something that everybody needs but few have.

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Pragia wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:
Not surprised at all. That's why Occupy came to be. Pity America allowed the Iron Heel to come down on it, unconstitutionally at that. You'd think after they cut the internet in Oakland the first time America would have woken up and realized what was going on but I suppose they enjoy being abused and having their rights stripped.

Internet is a constitutional right now?

Actually the U.N. classifies it as a human right, but yes it is technically a constitutional right as it is a form of press and speech. Two amendments cover it. Besides cutting the internet to shut down a protest brings in the right to peacefully assemble on top of that, plus the fact that they are cutting live feeds to do so makes one wonder if they are violating the right to due process. But then again common sense must be difficult.

Nationalist Eminral Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Tell me you are joking..

If anything, capitalism doesn't necessarily value hard work, otherwise Mexican laborers would be billionaires. It rewards valued knowledge, something that everybody needs but few have.

Exactly, I would be rich by now, considering how hard my parents worked, but they aren't like the 1%, who still gets tax cuts for sending jobs overseas, hiding their wealth overseas and getting tax cuts (or getting low tax rates)
[align=center]
Federation of Eminral RepublicPederasyon ng Republika ng Eminral
エミンラル共和連邦 Federación de la República Eminral

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:As long as the rich are in a position to exploit the workers, they will always prosper in times when the poor, working people suffer. :)

Not really true. Though in most cases the rich get richer even more so when the poor are also prospering.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Exactly, I would be rich by now, considering how hard my parents worked, but they aren't like the 1%, who still gets tax cuts for sending jobs overseas, hiding their wealth overseas and getting tax cuts (or getting low tax rates)

I don't see much bad at hiring overseas. I mean I do think it is from the point of view that they may be doing it just for cheaper costs but otherwise it is still someone doing hard work and getting paid for it. Why does it matter if that particular person shares the same citizenship?
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

Densaner
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm

That's what happens when you have your economic and social policies governed by theories that just don't work. Laffer Curve, War on Drugs, Trickle-down, Neoliberalism. It's all just a massive economic land grab by those that can. In short it's all cobblers. If you want an economy that works. If you want consumers then they must have capacity to consume. Pay folk a decent income. Instead of the current race to the bottom. All that leads to is the current state of affairs. >:(

Castille de Italia
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Castille de Italia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Parhe wrote:
Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Exactly, I would be rich by now, considering how hard my parents worked, but they aren't like the 1%, who still gets tax cuts for sending jobs overseas, hiding their wealth overseas and getting tax cuts (or getting low tax rates)

I don't see much bad at hiring overseas. I mean I do think it is from the point of view that they may be doing it just for cheaper costs but otherwise it is still someone doing hard work and getting paid for it. Why does it matter if that particular person shares the same citizenship?

Corporations wouldn't have to move their business overseas if it weren't for so much government regulation.

Main Directory | IIWiki | Dramatis Personae | Pan Dienstadi World Airways | Latest Political Crisis

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Castille de Italia wrote:
Parhe wrote:I don't see much bad at hiring overseas. I mean I do think it is from the point of view that they may be doing it just for cheaper costs but otherwise it is still someone doing hard work and getting paid for it. Why does it matter if that particular person shares the same citizenship?

Corporations wouldn't have to move their business overseas if it weren't for so much government regulation.

But why is it bad if they are and are still being taxed by some government? I mean unless the problem iss the government they do pay to are corrupt or something- as in the money may mostly go intot he pockets of politicians.

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Densaner wrote:That's what happens when you have your economic and social policies governed by theories that just don't work. Laffer Curve, War on Drugs, Trickle-down, Neoliberalism. It's all just a massive economic land grab by those that can. In short it's all cobblers. If you want an economy that works. If you want consumers then they must have capacity to consume. Pay folk a decent income. Instead of the current race to the bottom. All that leads to is the current state of affairs. >:(

Hey now! A great many economic theories are perfectly sound, however, in the U.S. they've been twisted to serve the rich instead of the whole. In theory companies would want to hire more employees and pay more than they do now in order to meet optimum profits, but instead companies like to play politics and thus bend economics to fit them.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:During the recession and recovery the upper class managed to get even wealthier here in the states. Read here http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... g-recovery

I know this is old news, even though its a new article. But it makes you think about how bad wealth gaps are in America, and what we need to do to overcome them.

What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?

I think we need to raise the minimum wage to $10/hour and put in a big jobs program to get everyone back to work

once everyone is back to work they will be able to demand the wages they were getting before the big collapse.

oh and we need to get rid of right-to-work laws.

I rather not be forced to join a union to work. it seems rather against personal freedoms. Not assuming that is a bad thing or good thing.

Pragia
Powerbroker

Founded: May 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pragia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
Pragia wrote:Internet is a constitutional right now?

Actually the U.N. classifies it as a human right, but yes it is technically a constitutional right as it is a form of press and speech. Two amendments cover it. Besides cutting the internet to shut down a protest brings in the right to peacefully assemble on top of that, plus the fact that they are cutting live feeds to do so makes one wonder if they are violating the right to due process. But then again common sense must be difficult.

As I recall (being a Bay Area guy) it WASN'T peaceful, there was quite a bit of violence, so peaceful assembly don't apply. It's laughable that intranet is a human right, it's technological comfort. Speech can be suppressed on majority rule, and they were ordered to cease and desist. Internet is only one form of press, there wasn't surpression of the papers, or any other form of news.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Saddened but not at all surprised, this has been going on for decades.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Densaner
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
Densaner wrote:That's what happens when you have your economic and social policies governed by theories that just don't work. Laffer Curve, War on Drugs, Trickle-down, Neoliberalism. It's all just a massive economic land grab by those that can. In short it's all cobblers. If you want an economy that works. If you want consumers then they must have capacity to consume. Pay folk a decent income. Instead of the current race to the bottom. All that leads to is the current state of affairs. >:(

Hey now! A great many economic theories are perfectly sound, however, in the U.S. they've been twisted to serve the rich instead of the whole. In theory companies would want to hire more employees and pay more than they do now in order to meet optimum profits, but instead companies like to play politics and thus bend economics to fit them.

They also hire high priced lobbyists to get regulations and laws changed to suit themselves. When they do that they are being smart businessmen. When Unions try the same move they are called corrupt. They then pass laws restricting Unions and laughingly call it "right to work".

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Post War America wrote:Saddened but not at all surprised, this has been going on for decades.

Stupid Digital Revolution, giving everyone personal computers, cell phones, and other gadgets. >:(
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I hate to be this blunt, but the wealthy aren't bad. Should they pay their fair share? Of course. But I don't think they should be hated, used as props to knock down via populist rhetoric, and their work shouldn't be taxed to the point where it punishes them. My father was poor when he was a child, as was my grandfather, the same is true on my mother's side (where poverty in rural Korea was especially harsh, especially for women during the 50s-60s). But they worked hard and rose to wealth, to where they are now part of the notorious 1%.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with a system that rewarded them that. With that said, I also don't think we should hate sending jobs overseas, especially since poverty in India and China is considerably worse and in the end, it means cheaper goods for consumers. Markets change, but the government should definitely be there to offer a helping hand to those who fall on hard times.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Densaner wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:

They also hire high priced lobbyists to get regulations and laws changed to suit themselves. When they do that they are being smart businessmen. When Unions try the same move they are called corrupt. They then pass laws restricting Unions and laughingly call it "right to work".

No, not really. I have meet more people who call coporations corrupt for hiring lobbylists than Unions. Unions though I have meet people who call annoying. Of course, maybe that is because I live in liberal Texas...

Why are right to work laws so bad?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Post War America wrote:Saddened but not at all surprised, this has been going on for decades.

Stupid Digital Revolution, giving everyone personal computers, cell phones, and other gadgets. >:(

That's another thing that irks me. New technologies are developed every year that literally destroys industries (creative destruction), should we oppose their development? Should we bankroll certain jobs with the hopes of keeping them even though they've been rendered useless?

Castille de Italia
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Castille de Italia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Parhe wrote:
Castille de Italia wrote:Corporations wouldn't have to move their business overseas if it weren't for so much government regulation.

But why is it bad if they are and are still being taxed by some government? I mean unless the problem iss the government they do pay to are corrupt or something- as in the money may mostly go intot he pockets of politicians.

It's not bad that corporations should pay taxes, but if it goes into the pockets of the bureaucrats in Washington, then corporations should not pay taxes. To add so much government regulation to the economy after putting tax money into greedy politicians pockets, in the end, you will lose money. That's why many are moving their base of operations to places like China, where there's little concern for the environment.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Parhe wrote:But why is it bad if they are and are still being taxed by some government? I mean unless the problem iss the government they do pay to are corrupt or something- as in the money may mostly go intot he pockets of politicians.

It's not bad that corporations should pay taxes, but if it goes into the pockets of the bureaucrats in Washington, then corporations should not pay taxes. To add so much government regulation to the economy after putting tax money into greedy politicians pockets, in the end, you will lose money. That's why many are moving their base of operations to places like China, where there's little concern for the environment.

I was asking rather why is it bad if the corporations do send jobs in foreign countries. I mean it is still paying people and helping them support and, it seems, the average worked in say China is worse off than one in America. If China were to, for example, actually implement concerns for environment would it be okay? I am hoping yes.

Densaner
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Parhe wrote:
Densaner wrote:

No, not really. I have meet more people who call coporations corrupt for hiring lobbylists than Unions. Unions though I have meet people who call annoying. Of course, maybe that is because I live in liberal Texas...

Because they restrict the free market and the right of a union to negotiate freely with an employer through collective bargaining. I thought the GOP liked free markets. Only where employees cannot negotiate freely for a decent wage it seems. :eyebrow:

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Densaner wrote:
Parhe wrote:No, not really. I have meet more people who call coporations corrupt for hiring lobbylists than Unions. Unions though I have meet people who call annoying. Of course, maybe that is because I live in liberal Texas...

Because they restrict the free market and the right of a union to negotiate freely with an employer through collective bargaining. I thought the GOP liked free markets. Only where employees cannot negotiate freely for a decent wage it seems. :eyebrow:

I do not see how it restricts free market, could you please elaborate on that? I didn't even know unions were essential for a market to be considered a free market. Also why does a union have a right to negotiate freely? I mean rather, where is it said they should have that right. So the right for a union to collectively bargin is more important than the right of individuals to decide whether or not to join an organization just so they can work and provide for themselves? In the end it is best for the corporations to pay good wages to it's works so that they have a market. Of course that does turn a bit when laws and regulations change so much over areas.

And no, the GOP is in support of things like regulations and, though maybe not as much as the Democratic Party, the GOP leans in favor of some regulations.

Castille de Italia
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Castille de Italia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Parhe wrote:
Castille de Italia wrote:It's not bad that corporations should pay taxes, but if it goes into the pockets of the bureaucrats in Washington, then corporations should not pay taxes. To add so much government regulation to the economy after putting tax money into greedy politicians pockets, in the end, you will lose money. That's why many are moving their base of operations to places like China, where there's little concern for the environment.

I was asking rather why is it bad if the corporations do send jobs in foreign countries. I mean it is still paying people and helping them support and, it seems, the average worked in say China is worse off than one in America. If China were to, for example, actually implement concerns for environment would it be okay? I am hoping yes.

Okay, now I understand the question. It is bad because it's the corporations that create jobs. You can't have a functioning economy without workers, and in the current US economy, corporations are the main job creators. Of course there are other employers, but the majority of the US economy is in the private sector. With bureaucrats in Washington implementing regulations, you have unnecessary government agencies like the EPA which regulate the economy cause corporations, who are the job-creating Americans, to move their manufacturing to other countries, like China, who have little concern for the environment. Pollution has no respect for international borders. In truth, the EPA and FDA are destroying the economy. In 2010, new regulations cost the economy 26.5 billion while total regulations cost 2 trillion. I, like anybody else, want clean air and safe medicine, but adding excessive regulations that stack up year after year isn't good for the economy.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Parhe wrote:I was asking rather why is it bad if the corporations do send jobs in foreign countries. I mean it is still paying people and helping them support and, it seems, the average worked in say China is worse off than one in America. If China were to, for example, actually implement concerns for environment would it be okay? I am hoping yes.

Okay, now I understand the question. It is bad because it's the corporations that create jobs. You can't have a functioning economy without workers, and in the current US economy, corporations are the main job creators. Of course there are other employers, but the majority of the US economy is in the private sector. With bureaucrats in Washington implementing regulations, you have unnecessary government agencies like the EPA which regulate the economy cause corporations, who are the job-creating Americans, to move their manufacturing to other countries, like China, who have little concern for the environment. Pollution has no respect for international borders. In truth, the EPA and FDA are destroying the economy. In 2010, new regulations cost the economy 26.5 billion while total regulations cost 2 trillion. I, like anybody else, want clean air and safe medicine, but adding excessive regulations that stack up year after year isn't good for the economy.

Oh, okay that makes sense. Anyway originally I was asking Nationalist Eminral Republic the question because of the way [s]he worded the comment it sounded like [s]he was saying it is bad to create jobs in foreign countries.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General