NATION

PASSWORD

Only 15% of Americans accept evolution.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you believe in?

Evolution
83%
Creationism
17%

Total votes : 781

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:19 pm

So.

What's going on in this thread anymore?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Preferably one that actually shows selective breeding for traits in an controlled environment.

That paper does. In fact, it's fascinating. I need to read it in full at the first possible opportunity. Anyone know if the authors conducted a follow-up?

No, it doesn't. Mutualistic relationships are not synonymous with artificial selection.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Caninope wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Well you said to let you know when predators did that.

Guess what? I'm letting you know.

No I didn't. I asked to be let know when they did that while actively mating two of the healthy individuals in a controlled environment by doing something such as fencing them off.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Only 15% of Americans accept evolution.

Postby Alien Space Bats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:It was good, I must say. I especially liked it when the Mollusks became sentient and built a civilization.

If I'm not mistaken, you're old enough that you actually saw that happen, right?
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Xsyne wrote:And what part of that makes it a different thing from natural selection?

The fact that natural selection doesn't involve selectively breeding for traits in a controlled environment.

And predation doesn't involve giant fuck-off rocks from outer space. Why make one distinction and not the other?
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It was good, I must say. I especially liked it when the Mollusks became sentient and built a civilization.

If I'm not mistaken, you're old enough that you actually saw that happen, right?

No one is that old. Anyone who says they are is a liar. I did see people develop lactose tolerance, though. Bastards.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you're old enough that you actually saw that happen, right?

No one is that old. Anyone who says they are is a liar. I did see people develop lactose tolerance, though. Bastards.

It's not our fault women can stop producing milk.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:The fact that natural selection doesn't involve selectively breeding for traits in a controlled environment.

And predation doesn't involve giant fuck-off rocks from outer space. Why make one distinction and not the other?

This includes both "space rocks" and predators:
Natural selection is the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers.

This does not:
Selective breeding (also called artificial selection and unnatural selection) is the process of breeding plants and animals for particular traits.

It's that simple. You were wrong when you claimed there wasn't a meaningful difference. Get the hell over it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Norstal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No one is that old. Anyone who says they are is a liar. I did see people develop lactose tolerance, though. Bastards.

It's not our fault women can stop producing milk.

Actually, it is. Sexual selection.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Xsyne wrote:And predation doesn't involve giant fuck-off rocks from outer space. Why make one distinction and not the other?

This includes both "space rocks" and predators:
Natural selection is the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers.

This does not:
Selective breeding (also called artificial selection and unnatural selection) is the process of breeding plants and animals for particular traits.

It's that simple. You were wrong when you claimed there wasn't a meaningful difference. Get the hell over it.

You know what the first one also includes? The second one.
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:This includes both "space rocks" and predators:

This does not:

You know what the first one also includes? The second one.

So you're saying there's no difference between rectangles and squares. :roll:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Xsyne wrote:You know what the first one also includes? The second one.

So you're saying there's no difference between rectangles and squares. :roll:

I'm saying that squares are rectangles.
Chernoslavia wrote:

Source?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:So you're saying there's no difference between rectangles and squares. :roll:

I'm saying that squares are rectangles.

No, you're saying there's no difference between the two. Nowhere did you say that "artificial selection can be natural selection." No, you said there is no meaningful difference between them. Are you backtracking now?

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Xsyne wrote:I'm saying that squares are rectangles.

No, you're saying there's no difference between the two. Nowhere did you say that "artificial selection can be natural selection." No, you said there is no meaningful difference between them. Are you backtracking now?

I have done no backtracking. I said that you cannot talk about natural selection and artificial selection as if they are different things. Natural selection can be a different thing than artificial selection. Artificial selection cannot be a different thing from natural selection. Much as a rectangle can be a different thing from a square, but a square cannot be a different thing from a rectangle.

In fact, let's put the question to the peanut gallery. Have I backtracked?
Chernoslavia wrote:

Source?

Ost-Bremen
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ost-Bremen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 pm

And I'm a proud part of the 15%.
Anti-theist, Proud bisexual and Dubstep lover. Far left- Libertarian and Pro-choice.
Attack me all you please, I shall stay true to what I think. Put the people first, every time.

Greater Ilanar
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Ilanar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 pm

If you all are of the opinion that non-belief in evolution is something that should only be practiced by fanatically religious hill billies from fly-over country, you should read Ann Coulter's writings on evolution. They quickly expose evolution as being the most unscientific part of modern science.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Xsyne wrote:I have done no backtracking. I said that you cannot talk about natural selection and artificial selection as if they are different things.

So you cannot talk about squares and rectangles in different ways? Good luck with geometry believing that shit. :roll:
Xsyne wrote:Natural selection can be a different thing than artificial selection. Artificial selection cannot be a different thing from natural selection. Much as a rectangle can be a different thing from a square, but a square cannot be a different thing from a rectangle.

Which isn't what you said.
Xsyne wrote:In fact, let's put the question to the peanut gallery. Have I backtracked?

Yes, you have.
Xsyne wrote:There is no meaningful difference between natural selection and artificial selection.

Are you retracting this or not?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Greater Ilanar wrote:If you all are of the opinion that non-belief in evolution is something that should only be practiced by fanatically religious hill billies from fly-over country, you should read Ann Coulter's writings on evolution. They quickly expose evolution as being the most unscientific part of modern science.

Ann Coulter?

Don't make me laugh.

North Stradia
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Stradia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Greater Ilanar wrote:If you all are of the opinion that non-belief in evolution is something that should only be practiced by fanatically religious hill billies from fly-over country, you should read Ann Coulter's writings on evolution. They quickly expose evolution as being the most unscientific part of modern science.

Ann Coulter and science do not belong in the same sentence.
I am a Feudo-capitalist, egoist, and a supporter of plutocracy.
R.I.P. Sark, the last feudalist State in the world, born 933, died 2008
Economic Left/Right: +9.89
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +8.12
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neocon: +5.88
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: +2.90

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

And where did Ann Coulter get her advanced degrees in science? Hell, any degree in science? Ann Coulter is a lawyer.

Can you summarize her exposé?
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Ann Coulter has no scientific credentials, so I'm just going to take her word with a grain of salt.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Xsyne wrote:I have done no backtracking. I said that you cannot talk about natural selection and artificial selection as if they are different things.

So you cannot talk about squares and rectangles in different ways? Good luck with geometry believing that shit. :roll:
Xsyne wrote:Natural selection can be a different thing than artificial selection. Artificial selection cannot be a different thing from natural selection. Much as a rectangle can be a different thing from a square, but a square cannot be a different thing from a rectangle.

Which isn't what you said.
Xsyne wrote:In fact, let's put the question to the peanut gallery. Have I backtracked?

Yes, you have.
Xsyne wrote:There is no meaningful difference between natural selection and artificial selection.

Are you retracting this or not?

Okay, serious question. Is English your native language?
Chernoslavia wrote:

Source?

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:43 pm

North Stradia wrote:

Ann Coulter and science do not belong in the same sentence.

Or in the same room.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Xsyne wrote:Okay, serious question. Is English your native language?

I'll take that as a yes.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
North Stradia wrote:Ann Coulter and science do not belong in the same sentence.

Or in the same room.

Or on the same planet. Can we throw her out?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General