NATION

PASSWORD

Is Yugoslav still a "proper" nationality?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it?

Yes
30%
No
53%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 138

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 am

American California wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Yeah he was. His father was a Croat and his mother a Slovene.

Obviously I can't validate this, but my best friend is one of those Ustase Croats, and he like half-joking claims that there were many rumors that Tito was an Austrian, because people said he spoke Serbo-Croatian with an Austrian accent.

If he's an Ustase fanboy, he probably isn't joking.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am

Distruzio wrote:
Master Shake wrote:
The only thing keeping America from considering this is the Revolutionary war that happened back in 1776 and all the patriots that would scream "The British are coming!" :lol:

Surprised it didn't happen after WW2 to be honest. You know to prevent communism and promote unity among non communists states in the Western Hemisphere.

Yeah. It's high time we apologized to the Queen for being rampaging brats about the whole thing.

Yeah. I think our temper tantrum went to far. :lol:

To be fair though. American politics(especially after 1919) mirrored the British interests and we even took over where they left off in Iran and Iraq. Using them like puppets until the Iranian revolution and the toppling of Saddam. Sure we tried to make a new Iraq, but the Kurds will win since they are the only ones able to fight ISIS and they will take the majority of Iraq as their prize. I'm definitely on the side of Kurdistan. They deserve their nation back on the map!

Not only that, but they are both friendly towards the US and the UK. It is a win win for most everyone...

I wonder if in ten years there will be a topic like "Is Iraqi still a proper nationality?"
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:There are actually plenty of people from where-it-never-snows Brazil living there, não contavam com minha nossa astúcia adaptabilidade.

I remember when Costa Ricans got butthurt because they lost a soccer game to America in Denver where it was snowing, and the Costa Ricans said that it wasn't fair because their players had never seen snow before.

The biggest cold I was ever exposed to that I remember was 10-13°C sea (the Rio de Janeiro littoral often has the coldest waters of Brazil, see Cabo Frio), followed by 5°C air (I happen to have been in an iced water tub, but I don't remember it because I was 6 and in the middle of an asthma crisis I remembered very partially on the day after), so I have zero idea of how shocking it might be.

Costa Rica's climate is much more stable than Rio's, though.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

American California
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am

Master Shake wrote:
Obviously I can't validate this, but my best friend is one of those Ustase Croats, and he like half-joking claims that there were many rumors that Tito was an Austrian, because people said he spoke Serbo-Croatian with an Austrian accent.

Don't tell me that your friend is one of those goofy people who think that Tito was an Austrian secret agent trying to unite all the Serbs,Croats and Slovens into a super power and then join under Austria because she lost all of her Hungarian holdings? ;)

He generally just views Tito and the Yugoslav partisans as Soviet-backed shills and Serbian irredentists, and to be honest, I agree with him.
American Nationalist. Secular Traditionalist. Formerly known as North, Libertarian, and Anglo California
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18, 2014 (I'm actually 18 now though...)
Evidence: Lookin' fly, 'Murica, In Chicago
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 am

Master Shake wrote:
Don't tell me that your friend is one of those goofy people who think that Tito was an Austrian secret agent trying to unite all the Serbs,Croats and Slovens into a super power and then join under Austria because she lost all of her Hungarian holdings? ;)

He generally just views Tito and the Yugoslav partisans as Soviet-backed shills and Serbian irredentists, and to be honest, I agree with him.

Good point. An Austrian trained by the USSR to spread communism in Eastern Europe.

I agree with both of you guys. :hug:
Last edited by Master Shake on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hate you all equally

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:08 am

Master Shake wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote: não contavam com minha nossa astúcia adaptabilidade.

There is that language again. Do what now?

"They didn't count with my slyness", a trope from the famous Mexican comedy show genius Roberto Bolaños, under Chapolín Colorado.

I changed it to "they didn't count with our adaptability". Also the figures on Wikipedia are skewed, the number of Brazilians there is at least double that count if the undocumented people were mentioned. (Just like we can approach a million in the USA, but only 300.000 are official.)
Last edited by Edgy Opinions on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Busen
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Busen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:08 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I have a good friend who was born in Croatia to one Montenegran and one half Serb-half Croat parent; she's an atheist, so has little time for the religious dimension of Balkan ethnic politics.

She would very much like to think of herself as Yugoslav first, the way she did when she was growing up, before cynical nationalists tore her country apart, because in her view she has no other possible ethnic self-identification.

This friend is only one person, and I fully acknowledge that anecdotal evidence from a single individual isn't conclusive evidence of anything, but I know she's not unique. It's people like this friend of mine - the c.16-20% of Yugoslavs who were genuinely invested in the Yugoslav state because they had no specific ethnic self-identificatio - that discussions that assume that the collapse of Yugoslavia was inevitable, or that only Tito held Yugoslavia together, tend to forget.

where do you het that figure. The most recent Yugoslay census showed there are about 5% in the whole populations, and even that figure is considered overblowing for political purpose. And even if that is true what is this an evidence for anything?

There are people like Dražen Petrović and general Kadijević who would certainly claim the opposite.
Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:09 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Master Shake wrote:The real thing keeping Canada from being "invaded" is the cold climate. It is freezing up there!

There are actually plenty of people from where-it-never-snows Brazil living there, não contavam com minha nossa astúcia adaptabilidade.

What? Have people ever been to Canada? It's basically the same weather here as it is in Washington state, New York, Illinois, etc. 90% of the population lives in the bottom 10% of the country. We're very far from being "freezing". And on that note, I think the only reason Canada isn't getting invaded is because the US would most likely come in to back us up. Aside from the threat to the US, we also have Alberta oil that they might think they can get a better deal on.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

American California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:10 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
American California wrote:I remember when Costa Ricans got butthurt because they lost a soccer game to America in Denver where it was snowing, and the Costa Ricans said that it wasn't fair because their players had never seen snow before.

The biggest cold I was ever exposed to that I remember was 10-13°C sea (the Rio de Janeiro littoral often has the coldest waters of Brazil, see Cabo Frio), followed by 5°C air (I happen to have been in an iced water tub, but I don't remember it because I was 6 and in the middle of an asthma crisis I remembered very partially on the day after), so I have zero idea of how shocking it might be.

Costa Rica's climate is much more stable than Rio's, though.

You never even experienced freezing before?!?! :eek:

The coldest I've been in was -12°C (a blizzard in Philadelphia), and I've regularly spent extended periods of time skiing in -6°C. In fact, depending on where I go to school next year, I may be living in an area where -9°C is a regular occurrence in the winter (either Chicago or Bloomington, Indiana).
American Nationalist. Secular Traditionalist. Formerly known as North, Libertarian, and Anglo California

Busen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Busen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:11 am

Busen wrote:Tito was not a Slovene.

Besides the claim of some Slovene propagandist there are no any other source for that. Even she lived and worked in Croatia the whole time.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:12 am

Coldest temp I have ever seen was 30 degrees and I felt like I was gonna die. Don't know how you guys handle it in Canada or NYC or where ever the hell it snows.

I hate you all equally

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 am

Master Shake wrote:

Croatia stronk, remove Serb!

Yeah, no.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

American California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 am

Master Shake wrote:

Good point. An Austrian trained by the USSR to spread communism in Eastern Europe.

Come drinking with us bruh.

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Constantinopolis wrote:Uh, no. That's a common myth, but no. Tito didn't have godlike powers. Yugoslavia stayed together because ethnic tensions genuinely seemed to be gone in the decades after WW2, before they slowly began to re-appear in the late 1970s.

Tito happened to be the leading figure of the anti-nationalist generation, but he did not personally control ethnic tensions with his ring of power.

I have a good friend who was born in Croatia to one Montenegran and one half Serb-half Croat parent; she's an atheist, so has little time for the religious dimension of Balkan ethnic politics.

She would very much like to think of herself as Yugoslav first, the way she did when she was growing up, before cynical nationalists tore her country apart, because in her view she has no other possible ethnic self-identification.

This friend is only one person, and I fully acknowledge that anecdotal evidence from a single individual isn't conclusive evidence of anything, but I know she's not unique. It's people like this friend of mine - the c.16-20% of Yugoslavs who were genuinely invested in the Yugoslav state because they had no specific ethnic self-identification - that discussions that assume that the collapse of Yugoslavia was inevitable, or that only Tito held Yugoslavia together, tend to forget.

Well, when you put it that way it does paint it very much like the "British ethnicity" thing I talked about. I know a lady from Yugoslavia as well, works with the NDP (New Democrat Party, it's a Canadian political party) who seemed somewhat fond of Tito and Yugoslavia as well. I think the collapse would have been inevitable one way or another, unless Tito had managed to calm the groups down more. Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance to accomplish that. Still, as a nationality no one can really call themselves "Yugoslav", but as an ethnicity... Well, I call myself British, so why not?
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

American California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am

Master Shake wrote:Coldest temp I have ever seen was 30 degrees and I felt like I was gonna die. Don't know how you guys handle it in Canada or NYC or where ever the hell it snows.

I'm one of those guys that likes it to be hot in the summers and cold in the winters. I know, right?

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:15 am

American California wrote:You never even experienced freezing before?!?! :eek:

The coldest I've been in was -12°C (a blizzard in Philadelphia), and I've regularly spent extended periods of time skiing in -6°C. In fact, depending on where I go to school next year, I may be living in an area where -9°C is a regular occurrence in the winter (either Chicago or Bloomington, Indiana).

No. :unsure:

I could have experienced 1°C if I lived in Petrópolis and negative temperatures if I lived in Resende or Itatiaia, though, which are a few kilometers from here, but even 10°C is very rare in the Baixada Fluminense (we get more temps under 20°C and under 25°C than Rio and Niterói, though... it's not as much natural continentality as it is urban area continentality).

The smallest temperature ever registered in my "naturalidade", Rio de Janeiro proper, was 3.8°C in a neighborhood surrounded by dense forest. (Albeit not at all very elevated.) I supposed one could reach negative temperatures by the top of its mountains, but it's a national park by one side and a middle of nowhere inaccessible forest on the other. It happened in the 70s, nevertheless. The last snow in Resende was by the mid-1980s, for example.

Busen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Busen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:16 am

I heard that before, it is one of thoose urban myths. Actually it range from claim that his father was an Austrian aristocrat to the fact that real Tito died in World War II and the one who ruled Yugoslavia was an imposter of the original one, supposedly the imposter was a NKVD official who was send to not demoralise the partisans.

But that is all bullshit as his accent is native to the Zagorje region.

Dalcaria wrote:Well, when you put it that way it does paint it very much like the "British ethnicity" thing I talked about. I know a lady from Yugoslavia as well, works with the NDP (New Democrat Party, it's a Canadian political party) who seemed somewhat fond of Tito and Yugoslavia as well. I think the collapse would have been inevitable one way or another, unless Tito had managed to calm the groups down more. Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance to accomplish that. Still, as a nationality no one can really call themselves "Yugoslav", but as an ethnicity... Well, I call myself British, so why not?

Sorry but this such a myth....

You know the Serbs used to be overpresented in the police and administration of SR Croatia. I think that is not calming groups.

Also, the Communists used to rule the country for 50 years and if you still think they should be whitewashed for the 90s conflicts than sorry that is ignorant.
Last edited by Busen on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:17 am

Master Shake wrote:

If you come to Irvine then I'll supply the drinks. Vodka fair(Belvedere) or do you guys like Sam Adams or whatever sounds good

My great grandparents lived in Croatia before it was a free state(they identified as Hungarian) and after WW1 they still lived there along with a shit load of my family on my grandpa's side(hard to move and leave everything you ever knew in the name of nationalism alone). So I guess...technically I'm like 10% Croatian...
Last edited by Master Shake on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hate you all equally

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 am

I met a Croatian who worked as an engineer last and he refused to identify as Croatian, rather, when I asked him where he was from he said "It used to be called Yugoslavia, but I'm from the Croatian side." I found it interesting.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 am

Busen wrote:

I heard that before, it is one of thoose urban myths. Actually it range from claim that his father was an Austrian aristocrat to the fact that real Tito died in World War II and the one who ruled Yugoslavia was an imposter of the original one, supposedly the imposter was a NKVD official who was send to not demoralise the partisans.

Rather strange for an NKVD official to break Yugoslavia out of the Soviet-led camp after 1945.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:21 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Busen wrote:I heard that before, it is one of thoose urban myths. Actually it range from claim that his father was an Austrian aristocrat to the fact that real Tito died in World War II and the one who ruled Yugoslavia was an imposter of the original one, supposedly the imposter was a NKVD official who was send to not demoralise the partisans.

Rather strange for an NKVD official to break Yugoslavia out of the Soviet-led camp after 1945.

Once your in power and have an army to back you...I guess you go mad with power. Not saying the Yugoslav army could go toe to toe with the Red Army, but they were technically communist and that is all the USSR really wanted. They left China alone even though the Sino-Soviet split happened.

EDIT the only reason the USSR invaded Hungary is because we wanted a republic and wanted America to back us. Hungarians really like the US and have a couple of statues of American presidents, including Bush!
Last edited by Master Shake on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hate you all equally

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 am

They seem to like Russia more these days. At least the Hungarian president does.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:26 am

Baltenstein wrote:They seem to like Russia more these days. At least the Hungarian president does.

Which is why I'm ready, at the drop of a hat, to fly over there and begin a resistance movement if the Neo Soviets repeat their invasion of Hungary. I don't know if Orban thinks he is protecting us from the Commies and Putin by doing this or what he is trying to gain from it. We lost the gas pipeline to Turkey so we really don't have anything to gain from Russia...esp considering how cheap gas is now thanks to OPEC.

I hate you all equally

American California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:26 am

Master Shake wrote:

If you come to Irvine then I'll supply the drinks. Vodka fair(Belvedere) or do you guys like Sam Adams or whatever sounds good.

I prefer Sam Adams, but he drinks Beck's. But we've both never had Vodka before and have been itching to try it.

Master Shake wrote:My great grandparents lived in Croatia before it was a free state(they identified as Hungarian) and after WW1 they still lived there along with a shit load of my family on my grandpa's side(hard to move and leave everything you ever knew in the name of nationalism alone). So I guess...technically I'm like 10% Croatian...

Hmm...I'll have to take this to telegrams.
Last edited by American California on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am

Master Shake wrote:
If you come to Irvine then I'll supply the drinks. Vodka fair(Belvedere) or do you guys like Sam Adams or whatever sounds good.

I prefer Sam Adams, but he drinks Beck's. But we've both never had Vodka before and have been itching to try it.

Oh man you are in for a treat. Vodka made by Grey Goose or Belvedere is so smooth and really nice buzz. Very little hangover. Anything else is not so nice, but even Absolute is decent.
Last edited by Master Shake on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

I hate you all equally

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General