NATION

PASSWORD

Wiccan discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What kind of Wiccan are you?

Non-denominational Wicca; duotheism, magic, etc.
1%
Reincarnation Wiccan(believes in reincarnation, but is similar to non-denominational in other ways)
1%
Eclectic Wicca
1%
Dianic Wicca(only believes in the Goddess, not the Horned God)
0%
Polytheistic Wicca("hard" polytheism-many major gods/goddesses, or "soft"-many minor spirits and deities)
1%
Other Sect of Wicca
0%
I'm not Wiccan and just checking out this thread
88%
Was once a Wiccan
6%

Total votes : 209

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:35 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Skinia wrote:Not a Wiccan, but Wicca seems a really diverse and interesting religion. That's my opinion on it.

You would be correct. Unlike some other major religions, it would take an essay to fully explain every aspect of Wicca.

In all fairness, most religions are diverse and interesting, and would need essays to explain them.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Korintar wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Of all Pagan/ witch religions, Wicca is one of the most popular.

And isn't Wicca one of the fastest growing religious movements in the US (besides Mormons and the much talked about "Nones" whose affiliations and beliefs warrant much deeper examination)? I remember reading that in a journal article I read for a psychology project.

Wicca is spreading like a plague, yes. I believe a psychologist did a report and stated that most Wiccans read stories of the Greek/Norse/Egyptian gods and goddesses when they were children. Since access to myths is much more open, the chances of someone converting to Wicca is, in theory, higher.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:You would be correct. Unlike some other major religions, it would take an essay to fully explain every aspect of Wicca.

In all fairness, most religions are diverse and interesting, and would need essays to explain them.

Well, for example, Christianity, you could pretty much sum it up with 'Believes in a single god, simply called God. Believe a man named Jesus who rebelled against Roman rule was the messiah of mankind. Believes that good people go to paradise called heaven when they die, and believe bad people go to Hell." There is obviously much more to Christianity, but that is a good summary of it. It would take an essay to sum up Wicca, with all the different "sects" and "denominations".
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:You would be correct. Unlike some other major religions, it would take an essay to fully explain every aspect of Wicca.

If you think every aspect of other religions would take less than an essay, then I seriously doubt your understanding of other religions.

Most religions can be summed up in a sentence or two. Wicca would take an essay(or almost an essay) because it has so many "sects".
Last edited by The Wolven League on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Conscentia wrote:If you think every aspect of other religions would take less than an essay, then I seriously doubt your understanding of other religions.

Most religions can be summed up in a sentence or two. Wicca would take an essay(or almost an essay) because it has so many "sects".

Sum up every aspect of every sect of Christianity in two sentences.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

Well, for example, Christianity, you could pretty much sum it up with 'Believes in a single god, simply called God. Believe a man named Jesus who rebelled against Roman rule was the messiah of mankind. Believes that good people go to paradise called heaven when they die, and believe bad people go to Hell." There is obviously much more to Christianity, but that is a good summary of it. It would take an essay to sum up Wicca, with all the different "sects" and "denominations".

Your sentences fail to fully explain every aspect of Christianity, and are inaccurate. The God of the Bible is actually named.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton
Additionally, some sects go further as they believe that Jesus is God, thus giving God the name Jesus.

Sects such as the Jehova's Witnesses do not believe in Hell, and they know he's not just called "God".
Last edited by Conscentia on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

That's not a good summary of it. I'm sure that using similar simplistic sentences, I could write a two sentence "summary" of Wicca. But, I, like you, believe that because of it's diversity, it'd take an essay. The same can be said for Islam, Christianity, and many, many other religions.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Fine, you win. But I still think that it is more complicated than some major religions. If you think otherwise, than fine. It's your opinion.
Last edited by The Wolven League on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Republika Srpska Party
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republika Srpska Party » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

I know Wicca as a neo-Paganist witchcraft. And no, I'm not Wiccan, used to know some stuff about it, but forgot.
Official Member of the Slavic Alliance
I'm an MT Nation, and handle it.
KOSOVO JE SRBIJA!.Albania's Nightmare.NATO War Crimes over Serbian People.
IATA Member
Pro: Russia, Donetsk, Serbia, Greece, Romania, China, India, Armenia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Ireland, IRA, Scottish Independence, Lugansk, North Korea, Italy, Canada, Israel, DR Congo, Spain, France, Libya, Switzerland, Kurdistan, South Africa, Angola, Algeria
Neutral: LGBT Rights, Egypt, Morocco, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Iran, Sweden
Anti: Ukraine, NATO, USA, Albania, Turkey, Hungary, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Independent Kosovo, UK, Palestine, Yemen, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina
-Lithuanian Gulf War - LDF Side [LDF SURRENDER]

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Republika Srpska Party wrote:I know Wicca as a neo-Paganist witchcraft. And no, I'm not Wiccan, used to know some stuff about it, but forgot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

"Wicca: Believes in two deities, a solar god and a lunar goddess, who have many aspects as represented by the deities of historical polytheistic mythologies. Celebrates the solstices, equinoxes, and lunar cycles. Wiccans revere nature and practice magic, but forbid the use of magic to manipulate or harm others. Wicca strongly values sex-positivity and gender equality, and holds to the ethical principle of 'an it harm none, do what ye will'. Many Wiccans incorporate a belief in karma and/or reincarnation."

Wicca in one paragraph. How'd I do?
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 pm

The Wolven League wrote:Fine, you win. But I still think that it is more complicated than some major religions. If you think otherwise, than fine. It's your opinion.

Complicated in what way? I mean I believe spirituality and religion is complicated enough, but what makes Wicca more complicated?
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Ideos
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Surprisingly was just reading something on religion and Wicca popped up. I don't know that much about it, any history behind it? The limited things I have heard are interesting. Not thinking of becoming Wiccan, just curious.
“Men did not love Rome because she was great. She was great because they had loved her."
-Gilbert K. Chesterson

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Meryuma wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Well, for example, Christianity, you could pretty much sum it up with 'Believes in a single god, simply called God. Believe a man named Jesus who rebelled against Roman rule was the messiah of mankind. Believes that good people go to paradise called heaven when they die, and believe bad people go to Hell." There is obviously much more to Christianity, but that is a good summary of it. It would take an essay to sum up Wicca, with all the different "sects" and "denominations".

"Wicca: Believes in two deities, a solar god and a lunar goddess, who have many aspects as represented by the deities of historical polytheistic mythologies. Celebrates the solstices, equinoxes, and lunar cycles. Wiccans revere nature and practice magic, but forbid the use of magic to manipulate or harm others. Wicca strongly values sex-positivity and gender equality, and holds to the ethical principle of 'an it harm none, do what ye will'. Many Wiccans incorporate a belief in karma and/or reincarnation."

Wicca in one paragraph. How'd I do?

Summed up what I know of Wicca. Might add that the goddess is often viewed as triple deity and that the solar/horned god has two aspects whose feud for the hand of the goddess is viewed as an allegory for the changing of the seasons. Tend not to believe in good versus evil, rather that all of nature is a mixture of light and dark aspects.

I'd probably also mention, for Christians, there are diverse views regarding the afterlife with some believing in universal salvation by God's grace alone (Rob Bell), salvation (going to heaven) dependent on faith alone, taking an exclusivist position- regardless of one's actions, good or bad, Jesus is the only way to God, and faith in him alone is all that is required, or salvation dependent on works made perfect by grace through faith (Catholic position).
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Cyeal
Attaché

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyeal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Cyeal wrote:The dual religion based off of the Greek god Pan?

I sense a rippy-offy.
Last edited by Cyeal on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Christian Theocratic Empire of Cyea'l

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Nuclear Aftermath wrote:I have Wiccan blood. I have a lot of Scottish and Irish and Welsh. Wicca was practiced by some of our ancestors. However, I know that it is somewhat pagan. And I practice Native Circle, Native American religion.

Nah unless you are refering to your parents or grandparents, Wicca wasn't practiced by by your Scots, Irish or Welsh ancestors. Wicca is a new-age invented beleif system derived from an ecclectic mix of supposed folk traditions and pagan theologies. It might use some of the names and terms from older Celtic and other traditions but it rarely follows them in full.

Thats not a bad thing btw, there are NO religions operating today that follow the practices of its ancestors in the same way as they did 200 years ago let alone 1000 years past. My ancestors were cannibals and practiced human sacrifice, personally I don't. But I do recognise my descent from Mother-Earth and Father-Sky, I acknowledge that I am the younger sibling to all things in this world and I have taught me children to respect the spirits of their ancestors - both human and non-human

BTW are you Native American? Why do you choose to follow Native American religion?

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Fine, you win. But I still think that it is more complicated than some major religions. If you think otherwise, than fine. It's your opinion.

Complicated in what way? I mean I believe spirituality and religion is complicated enough, but what makes Wicca more complicated?

There is no official definition of Wicca, since every person tends to believe differently than other Wiccans. But you did sum up wicca in general well
EDIT: Oops, you didn't sum it up well... the guy a couple messages above you did :\ :p
Last edited by The Wolven League on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Ideos wrote:Surprisingly was just reading something on religion and Wicca popped up. I don't know that much about it, any history behind it? The limited things I have heard are interesting. Not thinking of becoming Wiccan, just curious.

It is a neo-Pagan faith that, although belief in what it is differs from practitioner to practitioner, is hard to define, but "regular" Wicca pretty generally is based on a solar God and moon Goddess. Most believe in magic of some sort; 'Wicca" even means "witch" in Old English. Belief in Afterlife is varied; reincarnation is pretty common, there is a phrase around Wiccans "Once a witch, always a witch" which some have interpreted to mean reincarnation, although others believe in a heaven-like afterlife and some simply believe when we die, we just die; no afterlife or reincarnation. It also is pretty open-minded to sexual freedom and gender equality. Founded by a man named Gardner in the '50's, it mixes Old Pagan beliefs with medieval witchcraft and "modernized" them.
Last edited by The Wolven League on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Ideos wrote:Surprisingly was just reading something on religion and Wicca popped up. I don't know that much about it, any history behind it? The limited things I have heard are interesting. Not thinking of becoming Wiccan, just curious.

It is a neo-Pagan faith that, although belief in what it is differs from practitioner to practitioner, is hard to define, but "regular" Wicca pretty generally is based on a solar God and moon Goddess. Most believe in magic of some sort; 'Wicca" even means "witch" in Old English. Belief in Afterlife is varied; reincarnation is pretty common, there is a phrase around Wiccans "Once a witch, always a witch" which some have interpreted to mean reincarnation, although others believe in a heaven-like afterlife and some simply believe when we die, we just die; no afterlife or reincarnation. It also is pretty open-minded to sexual freedom and gender equality. Founded by a man named Gardner in the '50's, it mixes Old Pagan beliefs with medieval witchcraft and "modernized" them.

Those that believe in a heaven like afterlife, do they also tend to believe in a hell-like place too?
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Korintar wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:It is a neo-Pagan faith that, although belief in what it is differs from practitioner to practitioner, is hard to define, but "regular" Wicca pretty generally is based on a solar God and moon Goddess. Most believe in magic of some sort; 'Wicca" even means "witch" in Old English. Belief in Afterlife is varied; reincarnation is pretty common, there is a phrase around Wiccans "Once a witch, always a witch" which some have interpreted to mean reincarnation, although others believe in a heaven-like afterlife and some simply believe when we die, we just die; no afterlife or reincarnation. It also is pretty open-minded to sexual freedom and gender equality. Founded by a man named Gardner in the '50's, it mixes Old Pagan beliefs with medieval witchcraft and "modernized" them.

Those that believe in a heaven like afterlife, do they also tend to believe in a hell-like place too?

Some do, some don't. Wicca varies from person to person, as mentioned above

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:

There is no official definition of Wicca, since every person tends to believe differently than other Wiccans. But you did sum up wicca in general well
EDIT: Oops, you didn't sum it up well... the guy a couple messages above you did :\ :p

I was about to say, I didn't sum up anything XD

I do like his summary though I got to say.

Btw, since your of Wiccan belief, what's you belief of magic? Well, if you're of that sect I guess.
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:There is no official definition of Wicca, since every person tends to believe differently than other Wiccans. But you did sum up wicca in general well

I was about to say, I didn't sum up anything XD

I do like his summary though I got to say.

Btw, since your of Wiccan belief, what's you belief of magic? Well, if you're of that sect I guess.

Those paltry party tricks I think are BS. But other types of magic.. "real" magic.. I don't know. I keep an open mind

Cyeal
Attaché

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyeal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Cyeal wrote:

It's not based on Pan.

Yet a lot like it.
The Christian Theocratic Empire of Cyea'l

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Cyeal wrote:
Conscentia wrote:It's not based on Pan.

Yet a lot like it.

The solar God is believed to have a goat head like Pan, but the similarities stop there

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General