NATION

PASSWORD

Northern Ireland poll

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If a UK general election were held today in Northern Ireland, who would you vote for?

Democratic Unionist Party
14%
Sinn Fein
37%
Social Democratic and Labour Party
6%
Ulster Unionist Party
10%
Alliance
6%
Traditional Unionist Voice
1%
Greens
11%
NI21
1%
UKIP
10%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes : 125

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

I don't live in NI so I can't make much of a judgement.
However, if I did live in NI I would likely be a unionist, and would probably vote for one of the unionist parties. However I don't know what each party is like with local issues in NI, so I couldn't say really.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 am

Britannic Realms wrote:So you're going to blame the modern unionists for something that happened hundreds of years ago?

Even though northern Ireland is their home, they're British by blood who still have more loyalty towards their home country. I am close to quitting my interest in Irish unification because it looks like the Irish people have given up on this fight for the most part. If they're content with the way things are now, who am I to try to tell them that it isn't over until they have all of their island back?
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 am

Saiwania wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:So you're going to blame the modern unionists for something that happened hundreds of years ago?

Even though northern Ireland is their home, they're British by blood who still have more loyalty towards their home country.

There's something wrong with feeling loyalty towards ones home? I'm also pretty sure that this British blood is pretty diluted after some many years.
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am

EUstan wrote:Yeah, only creepy British nationalits.

Nice to see the majority of Northern Irish people (including a majority of NI catholics) dismissed as 'creepy British nationalits'. :roll:
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

EUstan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby EUstan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 am

Mad Jack wrote:
EUstan wrote:Yeah, only creepy British nationalits.

Nice to see the majority of Northern Irish people (including a majority of NI catholics) dismissed as 'creepy British nationalits'. :roll:

All catholics are for seceding from UK, it is just that protestant colonist have majority in population.

Aboras
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aboras » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 am

EUstan wrote:
Mad Jack wrote:Nice to see the majority of Northern Irish people (including a majority of NI catholics) dismissed as 'creepy British nationalits'. :roll:

All catholics are for seceding from UK, it is just that protestant colonist have majority in population.

ALL Catholics? Come now. :unsure:
There is no intrinsic worth in money but what is alterable with the times, and whether a guinea goes for twenty pounds or for a shilling, it is the labor of the poor and not the high and low value that is set on gold or silver, which all the comforts of life must arise from.

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 am

EUstan wrote:
Mad Jack wrote:Nice to see the majority of Northern Irish people (including a majority of NI catholics) dismissed as 'creepy British nationalits'. :roll:

Britannic Realms wrote:Apparently, 52% of Catholics support the Union. So you're assumption is wrong.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 28265.html

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 am

EUstan wrote:

A majority of Catholics do not want to reunify with the ROI

Aboras
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aboras » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:31 am

Good ol' facts, always quiets them.
There is no intrinsic worth in money but what is alterable with the times, and whether a guinea goes for twenty pounds or for a shilling, it is the labor of the poor and not the high and low value that is set on gold or silver, which all the comforts of life must arise from.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am

Risottia wrote:Is there any "Left-wing Party Against Idiotic Ethno-Religious Divides"?

NI21, pretty much.

Who are, funnily enough, also who I'm going to be voting for. They're not out-and-out left-wing, unfortunately, but they're progressive which is at least a start.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am

United Regions of Verona wrote:Well I'm from the Republic not Northern. No offense, but I still kinda think Ulster was a traitor (Back then, not now since most people on NS weren't alive in the day of the Irish a Civil War in 1922. Not even me). You never wanted to be taken over by the Normans, yet here you are wanting to stay with the UK.

So let me get this straight.
the county that doesn't openly revolt against the democratically elected government in order to found a state on racist and sectarian values are the traitors.
That's a novel way of thinking.

The problem is that the current situation in northern ireland and the republican ireland is that it's evolved past the point of traitors and such.
Now it's just a clusterfuck.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:55 am

Nadkor wrote:
Risottia wrote:Is there any "Left-wing Party Against Idiotic Ethno-Religious Divides"?

NI21, pretty much.

Who are, funnily enough, also who I'm going to be voting for. They're not out-and-out left-wing, unfortunately, but they're progressive which is at least a start.

What's the difference between themselves and Alliance?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:57 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
United Regions of Verona wrote:Well I'm from the Republic not Northern. No offense, but I still kinda think Ulster was a traitor (Back then, not now since most people on NS weren't alive in the day of the Irish a Civil War in 1922. Not even me). You never wanted to be taken over by the Normans, yet here you are wanting to stay with the UK.

the county that doesn't openly revolt against the democratically elected government in order to found a state on racist and sectarian values are the traitors.

The problem is that the current situation in northern ireland and the republican ireland is that it's evolved past the point of traitors and such.

How are they racist? The British were the ones who were colonizing Africa and using gas on the Arabs, not to mention that many Irish Republicans expressed support for the victims of British imperialism.

EDIT: Also, to call the British government in Ireland in 1922 "democratically elected" is pretty fallacious.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

And the other kingdoms and petty duchies in Ireland never wanted to be taken over by the other kingdoms and petty duchies, yet here they are, ruled from Dublin.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:59 am

Saiwania wrote:
Alf Landon wrote:Lot happened between the Normans and the War of Independence. For one thing, the mass of Protestants that immigrated over from Great Britain. It's their descendants that made up the unionist community, and as far as they were concerned it was Sinn Fein who were the traitors.

That is why I'm for a united Ireland. The unionists are just British people who've stolen land belonging to Ireland and have succeeded in keeping their ill gotten gains. Soon it is going to be impossible to ever restore northern Ireland to its rightful owners.

Interesting.

The people that invaded what the Romans called Pictland, the Scoti, were probably a group from north Ulster. The kingdom they set up was ruled for some time as basically a client kingdom of the Ulaid (who would give their name to Ulster). They invaded Pictland and gradually subsumed the Picts, ending up with the country that became known as Scotland, ruling their lands there.

The people that were planted into Ulster in the seventeenth century were mostly Scottish, from the country that developed out of Irish migration to Pictland and was once ruled from Ulster.

Who was stealing land from who?

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

How are they racist? The British were the ones who were colonizing Africa and using gas on the Arabs, not to mention that many Irish Republicans expressed support for the victims of British imperialism.

EDIT: Also, to call the British government in Ireland in 1922 "democratically elected" is pretty fallacious.

One country being racist does not make the other not racist, just less racist.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... tion,_1918

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Angleter wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
NI21, pretty much.

What's the difference between themselves and Alliance?

Alliance are alright, but they're pretty much Lib Dems.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:How are they racist? The British were the ones who were colonizing Africa and using gas on the Arabs, not to mention that many Irish Republicans expressed support for the victims of British imperialism.

But how is their state founded on racist values, as the poster I quoted said so?

Also, that shows that the majority of Irish voted for the party that wanted secession, and they then did so. The British tried to stop that.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:

But how is their state founded on racist values, as the poster I quoted said so?

Also, that shows that the majority of Irish voted for the party that wanted secession, and they then did so. The British tried to stop that.

It wasn't, I was just objecting to how you used Britain's racism as a reason for Ireland not being racist.

Maybe if they hadn't unilaterally declared independence and then immediately attacked British police and soldiers, the government may have been more open to the prospect.

EUstan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby EUstan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Mad Jack wrote:
EUstan wrote:All catholics are for seceding from UK, it is just that protestant colonist have majority in population.

A majority of Catholics do not want to reunify with the ROI

The vast majority of autohtonic inhabitans of Belfast voted for Sinn Fein i.e. for a united Ireland. Polls from british web sites are biased just like the british government when it comes to Northern Ireland.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:

Just look into the actions of the rebels.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

EUstan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby EUstan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:But how is their state founded on racist values, as the poster I quoted said so?

Just look into the actions of the rebels.

The Catholics back than were in the same position as black people in the 1950s US. They were discriminated.

According to your logic Malcolm X and Muhamed Ali were also racist.

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm

EUstan wrote:

The vast majority of autohtonic inhabitans of Belfast voted for Sinn Fein i.e. for a united Ireland. Polls from british web sites are biased just like the british government when it comes to Northern Ireland.

So, it's biased if it supports the opposing viewpoint, and unbiased if it supports your own, right?
Kouralia:

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:But how is their state founded on racist values, as the poster I quoted said so?

It wasn't, I was just objecting to how you used Britain's racism as a reason for Ireland not being racist.

Maybe if they hadn't unilaterally declared independence and then immediately attacked British police and soldiers, the government may have been more open to the prospect.

They were incredibly open to the prospect.
It's like I pointed out.

Initially the rebellion was for home rule.
Something the government was completely willing to give them for fucks sake.
We'd been TRYING to give it to them.
But Northern Ireland refused to be a part of it because of catholicism, and feared catholic oppression. (Not without merit.)
So we said
"Well ok, how about we give home rule to northern ireland AND southern ireland."
To which the southern irish promptly lost their shit and starting flinging dung everywhere, screaming about a united ireland, and shooting policemen.
"It's our god given right as irishmen to oppress those protestants!" and shit.
Then they found a constitution that essentially declares catholicism the state religion, bans divorce and abortion, etc, and try to invade northern ireland.
So yeh.

The fact that the catholics were also oppressed is a shame, but it doesn't really excuse the fact that for centuries we were all oppressing the shit out of eachother. Pretending the irish rebellion was anything other than an attempt to install a catholic rule is just ignorance.
It wasn't FOR FREEDOMZ or anything.
It was
"FOR our FREEDOMZ and fuck the protestants."
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

EUstan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby EUstan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Kouralia wrote:
EUstan wrote:The vast majority of autohtonic inhabitans of Belfast voted for Sinn Fein i.e. for a united Ireland. Polls from british web sites are biased just like the british government when it comes to Northern Ireland.

So, it's biased if it supports the opposing viewpoint, and unbiased if it supports your own, right?

Than explain if most catholics are against uniting with Ireland why are most of them voting for Sinn Fein?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General