NATION

PASSWORD

Eastern Religions Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Member of the Indian Religions excluding Buddhism (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism)
7%
Buddhism
10%
Islam
7%
Eastern Orthodox Church and offshoots.
6%
Chinese folk religion
4%
Shinto/Shinto-Buddhism
1%
Other religion
28%
Atheism/Agnosticism.
36%

Total votes : 134

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 am

So what exactly is Bhudda?
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:So what exactly is Bhudda?

I'll have to refresh my memory through this a little, because it's a little complex. tl;dr at the bottom.

First off, it's Buddha. Gautama Buddha is who most people think off when you say "So anyway, I follow the teachings of the Buddha".

Gautama Buddha is the first one, the founder of Buddhism. He took Buddha as a title, Gautama being his actual last name. Full name was Siddharta Gotama. Basically, he was the Supreme Buddha, the teacher who formed almost all of the edicts on which Buddhism is built.

There are two major types of Buddhism - Sri Lankan Buddhism (Theravada) and Indian Buddhism (Mahayana). Theravada is the older of the two, and is the major religion in Sri Lanka - it was brought across by the son of one of the first major Buddhist Kings, Asoka, a personal hero to me for various reaons. Asoka I believe lived before the rise of Mahayana Buddhism, which has unknown roots, but is generally further from the original ideals of Buddha than Theravada Buddhism. I'm told that in modern times, what with globalization, the various Buddhist groups are moving just a little towards reconciling their beliefs.

I described the two schools, because they are important to define a Buddha, or the Buddha. They have very similar ideals, but different beliefs as to what Buddha, or a Buddha is. This is where I really needed a refresher, but I double-checked everything with Wiki (I come from a Buddhist background, so don't worry, Wiki's Buddhism topics are generally very accurate)

Theravada Buddhism believes that a Buddha is any person who has achieved enlightenment without a teacher. They have reached that state of fully understanding the ideals of Buddhism, without having a mentor or some teacher of a sort. This sort of thing links to how Buddhism is supposed to teach of a perfect being we must all strive for - there are many ways to teach of one being, so of course it is possible to learn for yourself the Dhamma - the underpinning rules of the universe. Theravada Buddhists believe Buddhas are a rare person, chosen by God/the universe to have the Buddha-nature within them - the ability to transcend to a higher plane of understanding without a link to a Buddha.

Mayahana Buddhism is a little different - I understand a little less of it than Theravada. To my knowledge, Mayahana is looser with its definition of a Buddha. Unlike Theravada, where Buddhahood is a goal for a small group of elites who will teach the knowledge of the Dhamma and enlightenment without any links to a Buddha of their own, to propagate a new era of Buddhism should it die out (an event prophesied in all the major schools of Buddhism), Mayahana Buddhism believes that all people, including the layperson, is capable of becoming a Buddha, and that it is a noble goal to strive for.

Nightkill or someone else could probably add this, particularly in Mayahana Buddhism.

tl;dr

Two schools of Buddhism

According to Theravada, very few people have the 'Buddha-nature' in them - e.g. the ability to become a Buddha, and a Buddha is a teacher who is not linked to another Buddha though his mentors etc. he has achieved enlightenment by himself. Buddhists do not need to strive to become Buddhas while there is an abundance of mentors and teachers, and can strive for enlightenment without being a Buddha or having the Buddha-nature - however they believe there will be a time where Buddhas will be needed to bring Buddhism back to the world.

According to Mayahana, all people have 'Buddha-nature' in them, and to be a Buddha is the ultimate form of enlightenment, a noble goal all must strive for.
Last edited by Vortiaganica on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 am

Free foundation wrote:That would be a contradiction. Buddhism is an atheist religion .

Incorrect. The teachings of Buddha neither deny nor accept the existence of a God, although they lean towards the existence of a more detached, more omnipresent God/gods. One that is more part of the universe than part of mankind. So Buddhism lends itself more to an Abrahamic or Sikhist world-view than, say, Greek Polytheism.

Buddha, however, never proclaimed himself a deity or a prophet of a God.
Last edited by Vortiaganica on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 am

Free foundation wrote:
Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:
I wonder -- since the concept of a deity is sort of unimportant in Buddhism, could you be a Buddhist-Muslim or a Buddhist-Christian?

That would be a contradiction. Buddhism is an atheist religion .

It is Atheist by default, its philosophy is compatible simply because there is no god so you can have your person concept of god into it.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 am

Free foundation wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:You have no idea.

There were riots over Manmohan Singh becoming the PM, because he was a Sikh.

And this.

dont perpetuate lies.

Don't bring question to someone's sources or simple one-line statements of events that anyone could easily double check if you yourself cannot bring some meat into it, or use proper punctuation.

Whilst it is hardly easy to prove a negative, you could have at least tried something less abrasive.

Protip to everyone: When negotiating, never start a sentence with a negative - a negative (Don't, No, Never etc.) immediately has your discussion partner starting to think of rebuttals (ways to perpetuate their side of the argument) rather than ways to resolve the argument.

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:27 am

Vortiaganica wrote:
Free foundation wrote:dont perpetuate lies.

Don't bring question to someone's sources or simple one-line statements of events that anyone could easily double check if you yourself cannot bring some meat into it, or use proper punctuation.

Whilst it is hardly easy to prove a negative, you could have at least tried something less abrasive.

Protip to everyone: When negotiating, never start a sentence with a negative - a negative (Don't, No, Never etc.) immediately has your discussion partner starting to think of rebuttals (ways to perpetuate their side of the argument) rather than ways to resolve the argument.

I'll take ur advice and rephrase it. Even though its true that eastern religions meddle in with politics. It is a lie that there were any riots over Mr. Manmohan singh being Indian pm..
Last edited by Free foundation on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am

Free foundation wrote:
Vortiaganica wrote:

I'll take ur advice and rephrase it. Even though its true that eastern religions meddle in with politics. It is a lie that there were any riots over Mr. Manmohan singh being Indian pm..

Alright, that's cool.

You're (relatively) new here, you've got plenty of time to warm up and learn when to debate passionately and when to debate sensitively. Goodness knows we have so many regulars who are working on that.

I'll have to look up Mr. Singh though.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 am

I'm not aware of any riots following Manmohans Singh assuming incumbency; I know that there were anti-Sikh riots after Indira Gandhi was assasinated, but that 20+ years ago.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Taking a break.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:44 am

EnragedMaldivians wrote:I'm not aware of any riots following Manmohans Singh assuming incumbency; I know that there were anti-Sikh riots after Indira Gandhi was assasinated, but that 20+ years ago.

Not major riots that would have made national news, but there were large riots in the part of Mumbai where I lived. But who cares about the slums?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:I'm not aware of any riots following Manmohans Singh assuming incumbency; I know that there were anti-Sikh riots after Indira Gandhi was assasinated, but that 20+ years ago.

Not major riots that would have made national news, but there were large riots in the part of Mumbai where I lived. But who cares about the slums?

large riots in mumbai would have made it to national news , specially in a country where even a small incident regarding politics or religion is blown out of proportion on news channels.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Free foundation wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Not major riots that would have made national news, but there were large riots in the part of Mumbai where I lived. But who cares about the slums?

large riots in mumbai would have made it to national news , specially in a country where even a small incident regarding politics or religion is blown out of proportion on news channels.

Whatever the case may be, my neighborhood was very unhappy about Singh being elected. I don't know if it reached national news or not, but I'm stating that they did occur.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Beiluxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beiluxia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Free foundation wrote:That would be a contradiction. Buddhism is an atheist religion .

It is Atheist by default, its philosophy is compatible simply because there is no god so you can have your person concept of god into it.

Some branches of Buddhism diffused with local folk religion to create a theist Buddhism. IE Buddhism in China usually also includes many folk gods/goddesses, Guan Yin being one of the most popular ones.
Factbook
Concerning HK
I<3HKG!

Pro: 人民主派 Pan-democracy camp 一七普選 2017 universal suffrage 中華民主 Chinese democracy
Anti: 親建制派 HK Pro-Beijing camp 中共政策 Communist Party policies 中共洗腦 CCP brainwashing

Concerning ME
✿Social Democrat✿ Bernie 2016! 2020! lolol Political Compass Political Test
Pro: Progressive taxes Universal healthcare Green New Deal Mixed economy Science
Anti: Bush Trump tax cuts For-profit healthcare Unregulated economy Science denialism

Music I Like
sufjam ❤
and a whole bunch of others...

Quotes
Kaikohe wrote:In honesty, does anyone know who they are? Or are we all just wandering trying to find ourselves in this world?

Lianhua wrote:Beilux stuffed a bidet up his ass.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Beiluxia wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:It is Atheist by default, its philosophy is compatible simply because there is no god so you can have your person concept of god into it.

Some branches of Buddhism diffused with local folk religion to create a theist Buddhism. IE Buddhism in China usually also includes many folk gods/goddesses, Guan Yin being one of the most popular ones.

Buddhism in India was largely reabsorbed into Hinduism.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:23 pm

I as a Christian view Islam as another Abrahamic religion with the same God as Christians and Jews. I think some Eastern religons have parts of the truth correct, Such as Buddhism
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Rejaina
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 pm

First off, how many Muslims are on NS? Also isn't Christianity considered an eastern religion too? Along with Judaism?
Last edited by Rejaina on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pohlmania is the place for you. There is an actually world map and new Regional Issues everyday that require new Rp tactics and relation building. Join Pohlmania and you can choose a RL nation to embody (Whether it's and African nation or a European territory). Join Pohlmania Today! for the hell of it.
Pohlmanian Global

Eugene Ratings: A+
Duff & Phelps Credit Ratings: CCC

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Rejaina wrote:First off, how many Muslims are on NS? Also isn't Christianity considered an eastern religion too? Along with Judaism?

Technically, yes. But they're usually associated with Europe and America.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 am

Rejaina wrote:First off, how many Muslims are on NS? Also isn't Christianity considered an eastern religion too? Along with Judaism?

It depends on what type of Christianity
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:

The non-idolotrous kind is eastern (the Latins extendingn from that).
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Azarest
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azarest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Azarest wrote:Buddhism is really fascinating, although I am a Hindu myself.
I should probably say I reverted to Hinduism after a phase of agnostic atheism for the longest part of my life.

Heh, I was an agnostic atheist for a while myself.

I like your def of agnostic Hindu. *nods*

The Shrailleeni Empire wrote:So, do you still see the caste system used to oppress/honor people? And is it still a vital part of Hinduism, as in like you said the urban areas, is it Hinduism without castes?

I see it at homes, on the bus, in university etc. And I live in one of the metros. It's so deep-rooted and annoying. Maybe they're not called the same as back, then, but still, prevalent with a variety of different sub-castes.

Forum Seven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Forum Seven » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:14 am

Now you're getting less religious and more geographic.

Srsly though, Christianity cannot be called an Eastern Religion, or an American religion, or a European religion, because it is a Middle Eastern religion, at its roots, and everything from European to Japanese in its denominations.

It is far beyond what Buddhism or Sikhism or to an extent Judaism are as international religions.

Although the whole discussion on the matter is rather fruitless, because then you get the issue of what really is east, and that's really a cultural thing.

Feel free to discuss Christianity as it applies to the Eastern perspective, but IMO there is no real reason to discuss whether or not the singular concept of Christianity is eastern, because the answer is different depending on what you call east, and that's less a discussion topic so much as an unshakable world-view e.g. THIS IS EAST, AND THIS IS WEST, AND THIS IS IN THE MIDDLE.
Proud member of Ankh Mauta.

I asked my hippy friends for help. Well! You’d think I asked for a kidney. They kept bringing up the fact that I was using GM seeds. Eventually they all got together and said, “Max… we can’t help you any more. We want to. But you brought these problems on yourself. And the thing is, when you ask for help, you’re actually asking us to use our skills and knowledge to prop up a corporatized product that’s not just practically inferior to the free alternative you ignored, but actually bad for the world. We just can’t do that.”

And that was how I taught them to stop asking me for help with Windows. ~Max Barry

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

Um, no. Christianity is theologically Abrahamic and only Eastern geographically speaking (hell, not even that; Nestorians and Copts in the East co,e from Mesopotamia and Egypt respectively, and then spread their religion).

A question: would Zorpastrianism be an Eastern religiom?
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Rejaina
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Fedeledland wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:It depends on what type of Christianity

Um, no. Christianity is theologically Abrahamic and only Eastern geographically speaking (hell, not even that; Nestorians and Copts in the East co,e from Mesopotamia and Egypt respectively, and then spread their religion).

So how is Islam an eastern religion and what is the definition of an eastern religion?
Pohlmania is the place for you. There is an actually world map and new Regional Issues everyday that require new Rp tactics and relation building. Join Pohlmania and you can choose a RL nation to embody (Whether it's and African nation or a European territory). Join Pohlmania Today! for the hell of it.
Pohlmanian Global

Eugene Ratings: A+
Duff & Phelps Credit Ratings: CCC

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Rejaina wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:

So how is Islam an eastern religion and what is the definition of an eastern religion?

My definition goes as a non-Abrahamic, non-Native religion practiced further east than the Middle East.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Rejaina wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:

An Eastern religion is a religion which is followed as a national or major religion from and including Eastern Europe (Greece, the Bulkans etc.) East to the International Date line. Orthodox Christianity is based in Greece and the Bulkans so it is Easten, Islam in the middle East which also falls in said area and jewdaism is based in Isreal, which is also in that area. Western religions start from but not including the Bulkans and Ukrane upto and including the International Date line. Religions include Catholisism, Anglicans etc. Think of the Byzantine Empire. The religions of the Constantinople half and East are Eastern religions and the religions of the Roman half and west are the Western Religions

Aryavartha
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Aryavartha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:01 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Whatever the case may be, my neighborhood was very unhappy about Singh being elected. I don't know if it reached national news or not, but I'm stating that they did occur.

could it be because the Sainiks (allied to the opposition BJP) did not like MMS led Congress coming to power??? or even that the congress came to power in their state Maharashtra???

people may have burned effigies of Singh or raised slogans against him etc etc...but why are you so sure it is because they were angry that a Sikh is now a PM???

They should have been angry at foreigner christian woman who is the real power center...what is the point in railing against a rubber stamp..

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General