NATION

PASSWORD

US Gen. Election Thread VI: You've Got E-Mail

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Regardless of Who You Support, Who Will Win The Electoral College on Tuesday and By What Margin?

Clinton >150
3%
Clinton 110-150
6%
Clinton 70-110
15%
Clinton 30 - 70
29%
Clinton 30 <
15%
Trump 30 <
21%
Trump 30 - 70
3%
Trump 70 -110
1%
Trump 110 - 150
1%
Trump >150
5%

Total votes : 356

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:24 am

Kravanica wrote:
Camicon wrote:You don't need IUA's help on that front.

0/10

Good sir! Your witty barb has cut me to the quick! I shall know not the sweet embrace of laughter for a fortnight! Nay, the velvet embrace of melancholic regret shall be my only mistress o'er this cold winter moon!
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

IceBuddha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby IceBuddha » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:26 am

Imperial Union of America wrote:
IceBuddha wrote:Trump's not even white though.

Isn't he of German/Aryan descent?

AFAIK he is Oompla-Loompamerican :p
Last edited by IceBuddha on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Franconia and Verana
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:36 am

Yasuragi wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Flipping one does not matter. He can win all 4 and he still loses.

That's not quite what I was saying though -- I'm saying that if he wins Florida, Ohio, Nevada, and North Carolina, as polls seem to indicate, how do we know he won't flip one of the states that are now in the margin of error, like New Hampshire?

The likelihood of taking all the swing states, plus a state more or two is highly unlikely.

His biggest problem are the swing states. Its a dead heat in the polls right now in Florida and North Carolina, and he is leading ever so slightly in Nevada, Iowa and Arizona. Clinton has racked up pretty significant early vote leads in these states, not to mention, has an extremely professional ground game to get out the vote. I would not be surprised if she wins most of the seing states, or even just a couple.

Trump has no margin for error here. He needs a perfect run in states that have been either tied or leaning Hillary all year. He has 5 days left to do this.

When it comes to Clinton's firewall, the likeliest set up would be either a win in Colorado or New Hampshire + Maine's 2nd. While both are plausible, neither are likely.

I will stress this though. In close states where the vote is only a percent or two off, ground game is critical. Clinton has the groundgame that David Plouffe created for Obama, and its skill is noted in the effect it had on 2012, where most analysts have acknowledged that the superior GOTV team on Obama's side helped swing lots of close races to the Dems.

I think, if there is a polling error it could be towards Clinton if anything.

Yasuragi
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Yasuragi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 am

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:
Yasuragi wrote:
That's not quite what I was saying though -- I'm saying that if he wins Florida, Ohio, Nevada, and North Carolina, as polls seem to indicate, how do we know he won't flip one of the states that are now in the margin of error, like New Hampshire?

The likelihood of taking all the swing states, plus a state more or two is highly unlikely.

His biggest problem are the swing states. Its a dead heat in the polls right now in Florida and North Carolina, and he is leading ever so slightly in Nevada, Iowa and Arizona. Clinton has racked up pretty significant early vote leads in these states, not to mention, has an extremely professional ground game to get out the vote. I would not be surprised if she wins most of the seing states, or even just a couple.

Trump has no margin for error here. He needs a perfect run in states that have been either tied or leaning Hillary all year. He has 5 days left to do this.

When it comes to Clinton's firewall, the likeliest set up would be either a win in Colorado or New Hampshire + Maine's 2nd. While both are plausible, neither are likely.

I will stress this though. In close states where the vote is only a percent or two off, ground game is critical. Clinton has the groundgame that David Plouffe created for Obama, and its skill is noted in the effect it had on 2012, where most analysts have acknowledged that the superior GOTV team on Obama's side helped swing lots of close races to the Dems.

I do dearly hope that there is an error that underestimates Clinton's actual support... it's just when people start talking about intangibles such as 'ground game' it makes me nervous in the face of polls showing a shift towards Trump.

Goodness, this is really going to be a stressful week.

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 am

Camicon wrote:
Kravanica wrote:0/10

Good sir! Your witty barb has cut me to the quick! I shall know not the sweet embrace of laughter for a fortnight! Nay, the velvet embrace of melancholic regret shall be my only mistress o'er this cold winter moon!

Take it easy. You're trying way too hard.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 am

Yasuragi wrote:

We should remember though that Trump has outperformed his poll numbers during the primaries. While I expect he'll do that, it won't be enough to meet her.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 am

Runeria wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I think anyone would love to have a third term for Obama.

I'd rather have Clinton, she'll be easier to impeach

if the house stays in republican control I expect them to impeach her once a month or so.
whatever

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 am

Yasuragi wrote:

Which is something I do no understand with Trump. He actually has a lot of (misguided maybe but still there) grassroots support, especially in the Rust Belt. He could have built a great ground game, but never even tried. The guy is an amateur. Hilary is not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am

Novus America wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
no it is ALL the fault of the congressional republicans. they have chosen party over country and have tried their best to hold back economic recovery.

we HAVE recovered by it is less and slower than it would have been if they had given Obama the same cooperation that they gave bush.

Way to be part of the problem, not the solution. More hyperparisan ship is part of the problem. Also the Congress has worked with Obama a lot, and much better than it did in the 90s.

Plus Obama has not proposed all good things either. And has not stood up enough to China, which is our number one economic problem (Mexico is not though).

yeah ME *I* am hyper partisan because I want the republicans to do the fucking business of the country.
whatever

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am

Camicon wrote:
Kravanica wrote:0/10

[Sad Harpsichord Music Intensifies]
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am

IceBuddha wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:
Isn't he of German/Aryan descent?

AFAIK he is Oompla-Loompamerican :p

How dare you slander Oompa Loompas! They've never cheated people!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am

Lady Scylla wrote:I'll be voting for the first time ever today. May God have mercy on our souls.

congratulations!
whatever

Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:46 am

Yasuragi wrote:

I do dearly hope that there is an error that underestimates Clinton's actual support... it's just when people start talking about intangibles such as 'ground game' it makes me nervous in the face of polls showing a shift towards Trump.

Goodness, this is really going to be a stressful week.

I'm in thsame boat, id much rather see polls that show Clinton leading by 20 points, but the GOP voter is that stupid I guess.

While I normally would not be making ground game a big deal, in this election, I think it will be a decisive factor. Clinton has one of the most professional teams and organizations in history, while Trump has Trump. He literally has no ground game. He doesnt have a single office in Arizona.

Large rallies =\= lots of votes.
Ask Bernie Sanders, George McGovern and Walter Mondale about this phenomenon.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am

Kravanica wrote:
Camicon wrote:Good sir! Your witty barb has cut me to the quick! I shall know not the sweet embrace of laughter for a fortnight! Nay, the velvet embrace of melancholic regret shall be my only mistress o'er this cold winter moon!

Take it easy. You're trying way too hard.

If that's what you call a try-hard then your expectations are far too low.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:50 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Way to be part of the problem, not the solution. More hyperparisan ship is part of the problem. Also the Congress has worked with Obama a lot, and much better than it did in the 90s.

Plus Obama has not proposed all good things either. And has not stood up enough to China, which is our number one economic problem (Mexico is not though).

yeah ME *I* am hyper partisan because I want the republicans to do the fucking business of the country.

No, you think the Republicans must agree with you 100% or else. They have a right to disagree you know.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 am

Imagine this:
McMullin wins Utah
Neither Trump nor Clinton gets 270 votes.
It goes to the House
The House is divided
They go for the vanilla option: McMullin
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:54 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:Imagine this:
McMullin wins Utah
It goes to the House
The House is divided

Imagine this:
Unicorns are real

About as likely as your hypothetical.

Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:56 am

McMullin wins Utah
It goes to the House
The House is divided

About as likely as Anthony Wiener becoming President

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:57 am

Freefall11111 wrote:
McMullin wins Utah
It goes to the House
The House is divided

Imagine this:
Unicorns are real

About as likely as your hypothetical.

Unicorns being real is a higher possibility than that happening.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

McMullin wins Utah
It goes to the House
The House is divided

If the House becomes deadlocked the Senate would decide. So our president would either be Kaine or Pence
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:59 am

Novus America wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

No, you think the Republicans must agree with you 100% or else. They have a right to disagree you know.

no I don't. I think they need to work with the other side to do the business of the country.

they refuse to.

how many hearings have they had on the presidents supreme court nominee?
whatever

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:59 am

Rick Wilson still insists the two big leaks he has talked about for a month haven't come out, and that the timing isn't up to him.

Waldriech
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldriech » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:00 am

If McMullin wins Utah, it just strengthens Clinton's chances.
I'm a, Catholic, Anarcho-Capitalist from Arkansas.

Pro: Free-Market, Property Rights, Gun Rights, Weed Legalization, Public Service Privatization, Trump, Rand and Ron Paul, GOP, Free Speech, Religious Freedom, Catholic Teachings, Non-Aggression Principle, Natural Law, General Pinochet.

Anti: Communism, Democrats, ISIS, Terrorism, SJWs, Gay Pride.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:04 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Novus America wrote:

no I don't. I think they need to work with the other side to do the business of the country.

they refuse to.

how many hearings have they had on the presidents supreme court nominee?

Umm literally hundreds of laws have been passed under Obama. They have worked with the other side. I agree they should hold a hearing on the supreme court nominee and a up or down vote, but you are moving the goal posts. That has not be the cause of our sluggish economy.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 am

McMullin wins Utah
It goes to the House
The House is divided

As awesome as that would be, it is not going to happen.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General