NATION

PASSWORD

Trump-Inspired Hate Crime In Boston

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:The fact that people Trump's bullshit is terrifying. And seeing as the Republicans are reaching a new low every day, how much lower are they going to go than this? Are they just going say that all illegal immigrants should be lined up against the wall and shot, like its the Holocaust? That seems to be in the direction they are heading.

Don't give them any ideas.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That's not likely. Feeding people fear is effective, but only up to a certain point.

What exactly is that point, though? Fear-mongering is a very effective political strategy. I mean, just look at what happened in Nazi Germany. The Nazi's blamed the Jews for all of Germany's problems, and you and I both know how that turned out.

Those were special circumstances that really don't apply to the United States to that extent.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:Why would he do that?

Rubio and Bush have worked together successfully in the past (he was the GOP Majority Leader in the Florida House of Representatives back when Jeb was Governor of Florida), and that's always something when you're a would-be President looking for a would-be Veep.

Beyond that, though, Rubio is a Senator with foreign policy experience, something Jeb doesn't have. He's also considered more conservative than Jeb, which would help shore up his strength on the right. It's not a bad choice for Jeb (although John Kasich would probably be a better choice, due to his position as Governor of Ohio, his conservative credentials, and his policy chops in the area of the Federal budget).

Not the Rubio part. I understand that. I meant about the relocation of his residency to Maine.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Liriena wrote:
Sam Hyde wrote:
Nah, I went to college, I just majored in something that actually mattered, i.e., accounting.

Thanks for proving my point: You are prejudiced and rather ignorant on matters unrelated to your field of study.

I do apologise for assuming your ignorant prejudice was due to not being college educated, though.

Again, don't treat shtick like real posting.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That's not likely. Feeding people fear is effective, but only up to a certain point.

What exactly is that point, though? Fear-mongering is a very effective political strategy. I mean, just look at what happened in Nazi Germany. The Nazi's blamed the Jews for all of Germany's problems, and you and I both know how that turned out.

It's easier to mislead a mass of people than a person by themselves as well, feeding off of the above - this is why the 'Big Lie' is actually quite brilliant at depicting this. People are frustrated, you find a scapegoat to feed that to - and use human nature and group dynamics to your advantage and you can easily manipulate a large audience.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:The fact that people Trump's bullshit is terrifying. And seeing as the Republicans are reaching a new low every day, how much lower are they going to go than this? Are they just going say that all illegal immigrants should be lined up against the wall and shot, like its the Holocaust? That seems to be in the direction they are heading.

You seem to be against anyone giving people you see as stupid horrible ideas. Why is this? Are you afraid of a little chaos?
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:What exactly is that point, though? Fear-mongering is a very effective political strategy. I mean, just look at what happened in Nazi Germany. The Nazi's blamed the Jews for all of Germany's problems, and you and I both know how that turned out.

Those were special circumstances that really don't apply to the United States to that extent.

Not necessarily. This situation can happen in any country. Fearmongering knows no boundaries.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Sam Hyde wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I'm also still wondering how people using the term "SJW" in a serious manner is still a thing.

Like people using the term "systemic racism", thinking critical theory is valid, and using the term "intersectionality". I don't how people other than 12 year old girls on Tumblr actually use and are serious about it.

Whatever you may personally think of the terms and how they're used, they're widely accepted in academia, a field that I can assure you is not made up of 12 year old girls.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:08 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:I'm putting this here instead of in the Republican nomination thread since it's a major story on its own, and the issues raised could cause that discussion to veer off-topic.

The beating is awful. There's no denying that. However, what I find to be the most shocking element of this is Trump's response to this attack. Rather than express sorrow that his words were misconstrued or condemn the attack, he chose to dismiss it with a "Boys will be boys" style comment. I'm a free speech advocate, and I believe firmly that he's had a perfect right to say whatever he said. However, to casually disregard the fact that his words inspired such an ugly action, and to not even express horror at the attack or sympathy for the victim? That's beyond the pale. It's one thing to break convention when running for office, but it's another thing entirely to discard the basic tenets of human decency.

A few questions spring to mind: Is this going to tank his campaign, or will it simply encourage the id-focused among his followers? Does he realize how Goering-ish he sounds? Is there a risk of his reckless rhetoric leading to further attacks?

Why are you surprised at Trump's response? Trump has always been a narcissistic sociopath.

This seemed low even for him.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Geanna wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:What exactly is that point, though? Fear-mongering is a very effective political strategy. I mean, just look at what happened in Nazi Germany. The Nazi's blamed the Jews for all of Germany's problems, and you and I both know how that turned out.

It's easier to mislead a mass of people than a person by themselves as well, feeding off of the above - this is why the 'Big Lie' is actually quite brilliant at depicting this. People are frustrated, you find a scapegoat to feed that to - and use human nature and group dynamics to your advantage and you can easily manipulate a large audience.

You are correct. These people often don't realize that the sociopaths in the government are taking advantage of them for their own gain. They are just focused on using a scapegoat to blame their problems on. Fear is a very powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Sam Hyde wrote:
Like people using the term "systemic racism", thinking critical theory is valid, and using the term "intersectionality". I don't how people other than 12 year old girls on Tumblr actually use and are serious about it.

Whatever you may personally think of the terms and how they're used, they're widely accepted in academia, a field that I can assure you is not made up of 12 year old girls.

If it was, though... If I were 3 years younger I could be dating an astro physicist.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Lolwut?

"I'M SPECIAL, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!"

"I HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR ABOUT THE FACT THAT NEARLY EVERY OPINION THAT I HAVE IS UTTERLY DESPICABLE, AND I AM UNDER THE MISTAKEN IMPRESSION THAT THIS SOMEHOW MAKES ME CHARMING."

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:10 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Those were special circumstances that really don't apply to the United States to that extent.

Not necessarily. This situation can happen in any country. Fearmongering knows no boundaries.

...No, that's not how psychology works.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Not necessarily. This situation can happen in any country. Fearmongering knows no boundaries.

...No, that's not how psychology works.

They how does it work? I do not see why such a situation could not happen in the United States.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Why are you surprised at Trump's response? Trump has always been a narcissistic sociopath.

This seemed low even for him.

The only difference between Trump and the other Republican candidates is that Trump doesn't have a filter, and he isn't fake like most politicians. He says what the Republican base truly believes (but would never say in public), which is why they love him.

Geanna
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:15 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Geanna wrote:

You are correct. These people often don't realize that the sociopaths in the government are taking advantage of them for their own gain. They are just focused on using a scapegoat to blame their problems on. Fear is a very powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated.

You've outlined another problem with human nature.

These people often don't realize that the sociopaths in the government are taking advantage of them for their own gain.

Dehumanizing - People do it all the time with Hitler, don't take this as an attack against you by the way - however, Trump's just a man. Sociopath is really irrelevant, and doubtful (he's more borderline NPD); anyone is capable of doing this, it's the darker side of human nature, just takes the wrong person in the right place to make all the difference.

They are just focused on using a scapegoat to blame their problems on. Fear is a very powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated.

Refusing Accountability - We like scapegoats because we don't like being accountable, it's why I have an issue with people for example, who say they do 'x' because they're a 'good' Christian/religious affiliation here. It's easier to give someone the support to handle things for us, because if things go awry, we don't like being accountable generally.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:17 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:

History often repeats itself. After all, those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:18 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:...No, that's not how psychology works.

They how does it work? I do not see why such a situation could not happen in the United States.

Because you appear to believe we still live in the early 20th century. Fearmongering has become more subtle over the years for a reason. People get tired of it. When you go over the line, people stop listening and turn against you. That line has shifted over the years, and the argument that the line being in a different place 100 years ago means that it's limitless is nonsensical.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:They how does it work? I do not see why such a situation could not happen in the United States.

Because you appear to believe we still live in the early 20th century. Fearmongering has become more subtle over the years for a reason. People get tired of it. When you go over the line, people stop listening and turn against you. That line has shifted over the years, and the argument that the line being in a different place 100 years ago means that it's limitless is nonsensical.

The same tactics used in the 20th century still work today. Fearmongering is just as effective as it was ages ago, or else the Republican Party would not nearly be as popular as it is today. Fearmongering literally forms the backbone of the GOP.

Geanna
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:They how does it work? I do not see why such a situation could not happen in the United States.

I'd suggest going after the argument and not making assumptions mate, soap boxes don't do so well. You're also ignoring the fact that this has played off quite well with the Cold War, and the post-9/11 world allowing the rise of American Nationalism and the implications with it. Orson isn't wrong that it does happen - the lines may shift, however going after the gent for some bullshit rubbish is rather poor.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Geanna wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:You are correct. These people often don't realize that the sociopaths in the government are taking advantage of them for their own gain. They are just focused on using a scapegoat to blame their problems on. Fear is a very powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated.

These people often don't realize that the sociopaths in the government are taking advantage of them for their own gain.

Dehumanizing - People do it all the time with Hitler, don't take this as an attack against you by the way - however, Trump's just a man. Sociopath is really irrelevant, and doubtful (he's more borderline NPD); anyone is capable of doing this, it's the darker side of human nature, just takes the wrong person in the right place to make all the difference.

They are just focused on using a scapegoat to blame their problems on. Fear is a very powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated.

Refusing Accountability - We like scapegoats because we don't like being accountable, it's why I have an issue with people for example, who say they do 'x' because they're a 'good' Christian/religious affiliation here. It's easier to give someone the support to handle things for us, because if things go awry, we don't like being accountable generally.

Trump is narcissistic sociopath. Normal humans do not act the way Trump acts. Trump's ego is massive, and everything revolves around him in his point of view.

And I think all of these problems go back to the "us vs them" mentality that humans have had for thousands of years. Yes, this mentality may have helped us survive in the wild when we were still in the Stone Age, but this mentality has been outdated for a long time and now divides us.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because you appear to believe we still live in the early 20th century. Fearmongering has become more subtle over the years for a reason. People get tired of it. When you go over the line, people stop listening and turn against you. That line has shifted over the years, and the argument that the line being in a different place 100 years ago means that it's limitless is nonsensical.

The same tactics used in the 20th century still work today.

...No, they don't. In the 20th century, you could get away with explicitly calling Obama a "nigger" or calling him a "monkey" without facing ire. Now, you have to be more subtle. You say he's not a "real American." You call him a Muslim. You say he's not like "us."
The Orson Empire wrote: Fearmongering is just as effective as it was ages ago, or else the Republican Party would not nearly be as popular as it is today. Fearmongering literally forms the backbone of the GOP.

Why the sudden goal post shift? I'm not arguing that it isn't effective. I'm arguing that expecting the Republican party as a whole to suddenly start arguing for literal Nazi-like policies is pretty damn absurd.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Geanna wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because you appear to believe we still live in the early 20th century. Fearmongering has become more subtle over the years for a reason. People get tired of it. When you go over the line, people stop listening and turn against you. That line has shifted over the years, and the argument that the line being in a different place 100 years ago means that it's limitless is nonsensical.

I'd suggest going after the argument and not making assumptions mate, soap boxes don't do so well.

Lolwhut?
Geanna wrote: You're also ignoring the fact that this has played off quite well with the Cold War, and the post-9/11 world allowing the rise of American Nationalism and the implications with it. Orson isn't wrong that it does happen - the lines may shift, however going after the gent for some bullshit rubbish is rather poor.

Again, what?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
The Princes of the Universe wrote:Don't give them any ideas.

History often repeats itself. After all, those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Or does it just rhyme?

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Trump and everybody who supports him absolutely disgust me.

These people don't want to help America, they want to hand it over to wackos and corporations, both of which already have quite a lot of power in the government.
#FeelTheBern
Don't call them ISIS/ISIL/IS, call them Daesh. They hate that.

Geanna
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:29 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Geanna wrote:

Trump is narcissistic sociopath. Normal humans do not act the way Trump acts. Trump's ego is massive, and everything revolves around him in his point of view.

And I think all of these problems go back to the "us vs them" mentality that humans have had for thousands of years. Yes, this mentality may have helped us survive in the wild when we were still in the Stone Age, but this mentality has been outdated for a long time and now divides us.

Narcissistic - Yes; Psychopathy? Hardly, he lacks the typical governing inhibitions to restrain his opinions sure, but that doesn't make him a 'Sociopath'. Unless you plan on ordaining the rest of the population that supports him with the same, really all it has displayed - as was pointed out, is that he is stating what people often think. His exuberant attitude, and assertiveness gets him the light and support because of this.

Normal humans may not typically behave in this, but such behaviour is possible with nearly everyone. We often think things that we would never say aloud - simply because of social repercussions. As far as the 'us vs them' mentality, it's still very much a thing - hardly outdated as that's just how we are wired. Without that mentality, our competitiveness to rise as the 'apex' predator that we allegedly are wouldn't be possible.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General