NATION

PASSWORD

Cleaveland Officer Shoots A 12 YEAR OLD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 pm

The point that I make is, if the officer thought that the child had a real gun for certain, then he is at a technical fault, and if he thought the child had a gun that could be real, then he is at a moral fault.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
If a police officer's right to self defense is secondary to anything else, then they don't have the same right to self defense as everyone else.

Your "anything else" isn't the same as my "anything else".

It seems to me, that "anything" is pretty much all encompassing,
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:32 pm

^ Please refer to my latest post; it's much clearer than anything else that I've posted.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Themiclesia wrote:The point that I make is, if the officer thought that the child had a real gun for certain, then he is at a technical fault, and if he thought the child had a gun that could be real, then he is at a moral fault.

Either way I hope we can all at least have the common sense that the police officers here acted poorly. If all cops were like this I'd argue America doesn't need cops; they can just let civilians handle with all of it.

Disclaimer: Before any of you overly-enthusiastic gun owners get wet from reading my last sentence: I'm not seriously advocating this.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Esternial wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:The point that I make is, if the officer thought that the child had a real gun for certain, then he is at a technical fault, and if he thought the child had a gun that could be real, then he is at a moral fault.

Either way I hope we can all at least have the common sense that the police officers here acted poorly. If all cops were like this I'd argue America doesn't need cops; they can just let civilians handle with all of it.

Disclaimer: Before any of you overly-enthusiastic gun owners get wet from reading my last sentence: I'm not seriously advocating this.

It was definitely a shitty situation all around and a tragedy that was preventable in so very many ways.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Except you're still forgetting about the police officer's right to self defense. If police are responding to a call of "person brandishing a gun", they HAVE TO assume the gun real. If that person then reaches for the gun after the police confront them, the police have a reasonable fear that they are in danger. Thus, they are allowed to defend themselves.

There is fault to be found, but without new information, I'm not seeing where it falls on the police.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Except you're still forgetting about the police officer's right to self defense. If police are responding to a call of "person brandishing a gun", they HAVE TO assume the gun real. If that person then reaches for the gun after the police confront them, the police have a reasonable fear that they are in danger. Thus, they are allowed to defend themselves.

There is fault to be found, but without new information, I'm not seeing where it falls on the police.

They probably had to be home for dinner, which is why they couldn't try to approach this sensitive situation from a different angle, one that might have taken them longer.

Nah, they just drove in there like they were in Lethal Weapon.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

That's the thing, though. Is there fault here?

The kid was just playing around and got scared. The officers responded to a potential threat. The neighbors called it in. Who screwed up?

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Esternial wrote:Shoot first, assess the situation later?

Guess the Law Enforcement curriculum is different in some areas of America.

I fear for my life because of the bias.
http://www.salon.com/2014/03/11/study_p ... _children/
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Equusia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Equusia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 pm

"The police said the officer yelled at Tamir three times to show his hands, but the boy instead reached to his waistband for the object, which turned out to be a fake gun." Sounds like it was the stupid kids fault.
I'm 17 year old male who is not a bronie just bad at naming things. I am Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. FREEDOM!

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Equusia wrote:"The police said the officer yelled at Tamir three times to show his hands, but the boy instead reached to his waistband for the object, which turned out to be a fake gun." Sounds like it was the stupid kids fault.

He's twelve.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Of all the people present, the police officer is trained to be the most qualified to judge for himself whether the gun was real or not; others are but amateurs. As a result, if the judgment happens to be wrong, as in this case, he is to blame.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Esternial wrote:Shoot first, assess the situation later?

Guess the Law Enforcement curriculum is different in some areas of America.

I fear for my life because of the bias.

I don't even know where this came from. Hell, my post wasn't about race at all.

Misread that. Sorry.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Themiclesia wrote:Of all the people present, the police officer is trained to be the most qualified to judge for himself whether the gun was real or not; others are but amateurs. As a result, if the judgment happens to be wrong, as in this case, he is to blame.

You don't get to take a snafu like this and pick the smartest person to put the blame on. Fault doesn't work like that.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Esternial wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:I fear for my life because of the bias.

I don't even know where this came from. Hell, my post wasn't about race at all.

Is this some "we whites are being discriminated" routine?

That's the literal opposite of what that link says.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Equusia wrote:"The police said the officer yelled at Tamir three times to show his hands, but the boy instead reached to his waistband for the object, which turned out to be a fake gun." Sounds like it was the stupid kids fault.

He can be faulted for not adhering to the police officer's instructions, but not for his own demise. He was not informed that the police officer intended to open fire, as far as I am aware.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Of all the people present, the police officer is trained to be the most qualified to judge for himself whether the gun was real or not; others are but amateurs. As a result, if the judgment happens to be wrong, as in this case, he is to blame.

You don't get to take a snafu like this and pick the smartest person to put the blame on. Fault doesn't work like that.

This has preciously little to do with smarts; the officer was in charge of the situation. Anything that spirals out of control is his fault, especially when he shot intentionally upon misinformation.

I reiterate: if he shot with the conviction that the gun was real, then he is at a technical fault; otherwise, he is at a moral fault.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 pm

There's no audio so we don't know if the police actually said anything. What you've put is the police's account of things, too. Also, "He didn't know any better so he deserved to die," is a nasty argument, and it sounds like that's what you're saying. If you watched the video, you'd see they shot him almost immediately after exiting the car, giving him no time to respond and an unrealistic amount of time for him to say that three times.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Esternial wrote:I don't even know where this came from. Hell, my post wasn't about race at all.

Is this some "we whites are being discriminated" routine?

Well guess I totally misread that link. My mistake.

Little less surprising, then. I do recall someone posting a link that claimed more whites got arrested, and I sort of jumped the gun.

Eh, either way, this shouldn't become a race debate.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

This has preciously little to do with smarts; the officer was in charge of the situation. Anything that spirals out of control is his fault, especially when he shot intentionally upon misinformation.

I reiterate: if he shot with the conviction that the gun was real, then he is at a technical fault; otherwise, he is at a moral fault.

Smartest, most qualified, whatever. If they were actually in charge of the situation, it would have turned out very differently.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Esternial wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

They probably had to be home for dinner, which is why they couldn't try to approach this sensitive situation from a different angle, one that might have taken them longer.

Nah, they just drove in there like they were in Lethal Weapon.

A call of "person brandishing a gun" tends to make the police move much more quickly than a call of "jaywalker". Also, someone pointed out that the call was next to a rec center/playground, it's possible they pulled the car up in order to protect any bystanders.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:This has preciously little to do with smarts; the officer was in charge of the situation. Anything that spirals out of control is his fault, especially when he shot intentionally upon misinformation.

Smartest, most qualified, whatever. If they were actually in charge of the situation, it would have turned out very differently.

By any standard of the word, he is in charge of the situation; he has responded to the distress call and arrived at the scene. He has made known to all and sundry his presence. The child has acknowledge of his presence.

Administratively and legally, he was in charge.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Esternial wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

Well guess I totally misread that link. My mistake.

Little less surprising, then. I do recall someone posting a link that claimed more whites got arrested, and I sort of jumped the gun.

Eh, either way, this shouldn't become a race debate.

Whoever asserted that is definitely wrong.
http://static.ijreview.com/wp-content/u ... risons.jpg

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

That's the thing, though. Is there fault here?

The kid was just playing around and got scared. The officers responded to a potential threat. The neighbors called it in. Who screwed up?

Well, who bought/gave the airsoft gun to Tamir Rice? Who allowed him to wander the streets of Cleveland with it? Who didn't teach him not to brandish it at a rec center/playground?

Emile Zola
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emile Zola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Except that didn't happen. In the video Tamir Rice was dead within two seconds of the officer arriving. Unless the officer is the fastest talker ever and would have been unintelligible.

The officer who shot him was judged unfit to be a police officer at another police department and dismissed but Cleveland Police never checked his previous record when they hired him.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General