NATION

PASSWORD

Teacher Suspended, Incarcerated For Science Fiction Story

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Margno wrote:Incarcerated?

Apparently taken into custody for mental health evaluation.
Insert trite farewell here

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Maybe some kind of mental facility. I don't understand why he's being treated as a person who needs help. He doesn't need help, he just wrote a story.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Maybe some kind of mental facility. I don't understand why he's being treated as a person who needs help. He doesn't need help, he just wrote a story.

Maybe. We'll have to see whether the alleged letters mentioned are the previous page are brought forward. If they are and they're threatening or something, this thing would be a little more complicated.
Insert trite farewell here

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 pm

How do you liberals like your beloved big government ideal now? This is al so horrible.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:How do you liberals like your beloved big government ideal now?

How did we get here again?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Glorious Freedonia wrote:How do you liberals like your beloved big government ideal now?

How did we get here again?

Strawman alarmism.

Seriously people, one teacher getting put in psych eval by overzealous county police (a county that votes republican, so stop that 'ebil libral gubmint' bullshit right there) does not a police state make.

You're overreacting even more than the county police are.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:How do you liberals like your beloved big government ideal now? This is al so horrible.

Teacher Incarcerated for Zero Tolerance Policy =/= Liberalism and Big Gov'ts

So I fail to see how the two topics have any relevance (to each other) in this argument of whether the authorities were justified or not?
Last edited by Alcase on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Risottia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
I remember hearing about a teacher who was so disturbed by the bullying that went on in his school that he used it as inspiration for his first novel, a story about a young woman who is so horribly scarred by her dysfunctional home and school life that when she's the victim of a cruel prank at a school function, her response is to kill off a good part of the student body. Alarming, right?

The book was Carrie. The author was Stephen King. As far as I know, none of his students died at his hands.

Eh, but you forget how King's books clearly inspire violence against fellow students, disrespect for the Christian Values Of AmericaTM and hate of the the Holy American Apple Pie! Didn't you know that Snowden owns a copy of Cujo?

Stephen King also has the Mark of Cain. Didn't you hear about how the guy who hit him with a van died later on under mysterious circumstances?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:How do you liberals like your beloved big government ideal now? This is al so horrible.

You also believe in big government. I don't see your point, authoritarian hypocrite.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Risottia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
I remember hearing about a teacher who was so disturbed by the bullying that went on in his school that he used it as inspiration for his first novel, a story about a young woman who is so horribly scarred by her dysfunctional home and school life that when she's the victim of a cruel prank at a school function, her response is to kill off a good part of the student body. Alarming, right?

The book was Carrie. The author was Stephen King. As far as I know, none of his students died at his hands.

Eh, but you forget how King's books clearly inspire violence against fellow students, disrespect for the Christian Values Of AmericaTM and hate of the the Holy American Apple Pie! Didn't you know that Snowden owns a copy of Cujo?

Thank you for pointing it out. I am sending the Texas State Militia to California to bring King in for mental health evuals.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Risottia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Stephen King really should be arrested for his crimes against good taste, not only writing bad novels, but dismissing film adaptation that are better than his own work, then going on to produce the greatest waste of money ever concieved.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:Stephen King really should be arrested for his crimes against good taste, not only writing bad novels, but dismissing film adaptation that are better than his own work, then going on to produce the greatest waste of money ever concieved.

I didn't know he produced X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:Stephen King really should be arrested for his crimes against good taste, not only writing bad novels, but dismissing film adaptation that are better than his own work, then going on to produce the greatest waste of money ever concieved.

I am sure his nefarious influence has somehow contaminated that particular film.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Maybe so but being kidnapped by the authorities and forced to undergo evaluation is not acceptable behavior for a constitutional republic.

[sarcasm]But he's black. He only counts as being 3/5 of a person, so he only gets 3/5th of the rights. I seem to recall that out of the Bill of Rights, black people get I, III, VI, VII, IX, and X as a traditional package, but check with your local school administrator for details.[/sarcasm]

This sounds ridiculous. It is also the case that administrators are saying that this was not a response to the books, but instead, a response to a letter he wrote. There may be things we don't know. It may also be that the authorities overreacted as much as it looks at first glance, and are now CYAing.

Given the quality of American news coverage and the fact it is ridiculous to panic like this over something written 3 years ago (why now if they were reacting to books?), I tend to believe this stuff about the letter. The authorities can be dumb and overreact to things, but it doesn't take them 3 years to respond. Maybe it was a combination of things -- the books AND the letter -- but of course it makes a better controversy if the news stories just report about the books.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

This is a clear violation of the First Amendment and the human rights of free speech. We are going to hell as people who make harmless books get arrested for doing something that doesn't initiate force or bring harm to anybody else.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

I am sure his nefarious influence has somehow contaminated that particular film.

It's all because New Hampshire was too cheap to build a wall and secure their borders. This is proof they are less civilized than China.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:This is a clear violation of the First Amendment and the human rights of free speech. We are going to hell as people who make harmless books get arrested for doing something that doesn't initiate force or bring harm to anybody else.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy ... story.html

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:[sarcasm]But he's black. He only counts as being 3/5 of a person, so he only gets 3/5th of the rights. I seem to recall that out of the Bill of Rights, black people get I, III, VI, VII, IX, and X as a traditional package, but check with your local school administrator for details.[/sarcasm]

This sounds ridiculous. It is also the case that administrators are saying that this was not a response to the books, but instead, a response to a letter he wrote. There may be things we don't know. It may also be that the authorities overreacted as much as it looks at first glance, and are now CYAing.

Given the quality of American news coverage and the fact it is ridiculous to panic like this over something written 3 years ago (why now if they were reacting to books?), I tend to believe this stuff about the letter. The authorities can be dumb and overreact to things, but it doesn't take them 3 years to respond. Maybe it was a combination of things -- the books AND the letter -- but of course it makes a better controversy if the news stories just report about the books.

And given that this is NSG, it probably is in fact entirely about the letter and everyone is rabble rabble rabbling mindlessly about nothing.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

And given that this is NSG, it probably is in fact entirely about the letter and everyone is rabble rabble rabbling mindlessly about nothing.

NSG doesn't explain why there were articles about this on other sites. But the story really does make a lot more sense when you know about the letter...

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Goodbye Freedom of Creativity. Hello Freedom to go to Jail.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Gigaverse wrote:rabble rabble rabble

Stop believing everything you read.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:rabble rabble rabble

How many times do you think that link needs to be posted before people calm down?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

How many times do you think that link needs to be posted before people calm down?

What do I look like? A cartoon owl wearing a mortarboard?

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

More like a nuclear-powered flaming hand, but appearances can be deceiving.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

More like a nuclear-powered flaming hand, but appearances can be deceiving.

Well, the only answer I can give is this: "The world may never know".

Also, atomic-powered flaming metal horns tyvm :p
Last edited by Death Metal on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General