NATION

PASSWORD

Can the Republicans stop the Democrats?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 am

Saiwania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:All i can say is that if it IS hypocrisy I'm happy that the president is willing to be a hypocrite for the good of the country.

It's for the good of the country to force everyone to buy private health insurance or pay a fine? What about the freedom of the individual to choose not to buy health care?

None of the homeless/poor/unemployed people are going to want or be able to pay the fine, (much less health insurance) and with so many people choosing to not pay into this individual mandate the government will not be able to put all of them in jail so I believe this Obamacare will end to be a colossal failure and will be changed/watered down/repealed in the long term.

*sigh*

poor people already get health care. its called medicaid.

lower income but not poor people will have substantial subsidies to get them insurance.

those who refuse to buy insurance need to be gently pushed toward getting it since they will not be denied health care in emergencies. WE are paying for THEIR coverage.

not buying insurance will not be a criminal offense. they wont go to jail for it.

if that is the only thing you dont like about HCR then it is a great bill.
whatever

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 am

Saiwania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:All i can say is that if it IS hypocrisy I'm happy that the president is willing to be a hypocrite for the good of the country.

It's for the good of the country to force everyone to buy private health insurance or pay a fine? What about the freedom of the individual to choose not to buy health care?

None of the homeless/poor/unemployed people are going to want or be able to pay the fine, (much less health insurance) and with so many people choosing to not pay into this individual mandate the government will not be able to put all of them in jail so I believe this Obamacare will end to be a colossal failure and will be changed/watered down/repealed in the long term.

How is it for the good of the country to force everyone to pay taxes or face a fine? What about the freedom of the individual to choose not to pay taxes and receive government services?

None of the homeless/poor/unemployed people are going to want or be able to pay the fine, (much less their taxes) and with so many people choosing not to pay these taxes, the government will not be able to put all of them in jail so I believe these "taxes" will end to be a colossal failure and will be changed/watered down/repealed in the long term.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 am

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:None of the homeless/poor/unemployed people are going to want or be able to pay the fine, (much less their taxes) and with so many people choosing not to pay these taxes, the government will not be able to put all of them in jail so I believe these "taxes" will end to be a colossal failure and will be changed/watered down/repealed in the long term.

Cute. Manipulating my opposition against mandated health care to me being opposed to taxes. Only this is not purely a taxpayer funded entitlement. This is in my view, mainly about forcing as many people as possible to buy private health insurance as a boon to the industry with no public option, and what about the fact it could bankrupt the country down the road? It allegedly costs $1 trillion now, but who knows how much it's costs will explode in say 10-15 years?
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 am

Saiwania wrote:
NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:None of the homeless/poor/unemployed people are going to want or be able to pay the fine, (much less their taxes) and with so many people choosing not to pay these taxes, the government will not be able to put all of them in jail so I believe these "taxes" will end to be a colossal failure and will be changed/watered down/repealed in the long term.

Cute. Manipulating my opposition against mandated health care to me being opposed to taxes. Only this is not purely a taxpayer funded entitlement. This is in my view, mainly about forcing as many people as possible to buy private health insurance as a boon to the industry with no public option, and what about the fact it could bankrupt the country down the road? It allegedly costs $1 trillion now, but who knows how much it's costs will explode in say 10-15 years?

Are you proposing that without performing these actions the cost of healthcare won't increase?
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am

Saiwania wrote:

Cute. Manipulating my opposition against mandated health care to me being opposed to taxes.
You catch on pretty quickly.
Only this is not purely a taxpayer funded entitlement.
Who else is funding it? Why is that a bad thing?
This is in my view, mainly about forcing as many people as possible to buy private health insurance as a boon to the industry with no public option,
Saying you want a public option to go along with a mandate is much different from saying a mandate will bankrupt everyone and the whole country.
and what about the fact it could bankrupt the country down the road?
No, doing nothing will bankrupt the country down the road.

It allegedly costs $1 trillion now, but who knows how much it's costs will explode in say 10-15 years?

The CBO seems to know a lot better than you do. According to them, it will REDUCE the budget deficit over 10 years.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Peterbolton
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peterbolton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 am

Source=Fox News
Me= :palm:
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

I'm a music warrior, defending sound in the fight against silence.-Skye Sweetnam, Our Majesty

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 am

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:Saying you want a public option to go along with a mandate is much different from saying a mandate will bankrupt everyone and the whole country.

I'm saying I don't want a mandate for people to buy insurance at all. I'd rather it be a two tiered system where one is government provided coverage citizens get by default or private healthcare for those who choose to opt out.

No, doing nothing will bankrupt the country down the road.

I argue that the bill as currently written, will cause premiums to rise even higher than with keeping to the status quo.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04327.html

The CBO seems to know a lot better than you do. According to them, it will REDUCE the budget deficit over 10 years.

I disagree on the grounds that the bill has several budget gimmicks in it which will hide the true cost and that it is merely an estimate that will not reflect the true cost which will likely end up being more expensive in the long term. Social Security was believed to always be able to remain solvent yet now it is so far into the red.
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/11/ ... -trillion/
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 am

Saiwania wrote:I argue that the bill as currently written, will cause premiums to rise even higher than with keeping to the status quo.

1) The CBO disagrees.
2) Do people with cancer/asthma/heart disease/osteoporosis/etc not catch the flu/cold/URI/common viral infection/common bacterial infection/etc? Because that is what your argument proposes. It is America's already shitty treatment and upkeep of general health that got us into this mess.

I disagree on the grounds that the bill has several budget gimmicks in it which will hide the true cost and that it is merely an estimate that will not reflect the true cost which will likely end up being more expensive in the long term. Social Security was believed to always be able to remain solvent yet now it is so far into the red.

So for some reason, a third-party right-wing think tank knows better what gimmicks and hidden tricks are in the bill than the Congressional Budget Office? Color me unconvinced.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I argue that the bill as currently written, will cause premiums to rise even higher than with keeping to the status quo.

1) The CBO disagrees.
2) Do people with cancer/asthma/heart disease/osteoporosis/etc not catch the flu/cold/URI/common viral infection/common bacterial infection/etc? Because that is what your argument proposes. It is America's already shitty treatment and upkeep of general health that got us into this mess.

So for some reason, a third-party right-wing think tank knows better what gimmicks and hidden tricks are in the bill than the Congressional Budget Office? Color me unconvinced.

Let's look at history, then. The CBO has never been right. They estimated that the original Medicare hospital insurance program would cost $9 billion annually by 1990. Actual spending that year was $67 billion. They predicted in 1967 that the total Medicare program would cost $12 billion in 1990. Actual spending was $110 billion.

Why are they right now?
Last edited by Les Drapeaux Brulants on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:Let's look at history, then. The CBO has never been right. They estimated that the original Medicare hospital insurance program would cost $9 billion annually by 1990. Actual spending that year was $67 billion. They predicted in 1967 that the total Medicare program would cost $12 billion in 1990. Actual spending was $110 billion.

Why are they right now?

Because the CBO is the drum the right-wing likes to beat when it favors them.
Last edited by The_pantless_hero on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:Let's look at history, then. The CBO has never been right. They estimated that the original Medicare hospital insurance program would cost $9 billion annually by 1990. Actual spending that year was $67 billion. They predicted in 1967 that the total Medicare program would cost $12 billion in 1990. Actual spending was $110 billion.

Why are they right now?

Just so long as that satisfies you... But that's still the weakest answer I've seen in years.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 am

*nods in approval with Les Drapeaux Brulants*
Believe what you'd like, but if this bill passes reconciliation and everyone is pissed off when it turns out to be a major failure in implementation and cost, I will say 'I told you so' :)
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 am

Saiwania wrote:*nods in approval with Les Drapeaux Brulants*
Believe what you'd like, but if this bill passes reconciliation and everyone is pissed off when it turns out to be a major failure in implementation and cost, I will say 'I told you so' :)

I suppose we could always just do nothing.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 am

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:

Why are they right now?

Just so long as that satisfies you... But that's still the weakest answer I've seen in years.

My booster argument is that the Cato Institute is a right-wing think tank and has even LESS believability than the CBO.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:03 am

Zoharland wrote:
Republicans Plan Anti-Health Care Reform 'Blitz' as Democrats Regain Footing
By Judson Berger
- FOXNews.com

As Democrats in Congress prepare to shut Republicans out of the health care debate by triggering the "nuclear option" to pass legislation,

Not the 'nuclear option.' The 'nuclear option' was what the Republicans wanted to do because a handful of judges were not being confirmed. It would have been a point of order objection to the filibuster that would have lead to straight vote to end the filibuster all together.

What is being proposed is a commonly used procedure to reconcile budgetary measures in a bills that have already passed in both houses. There is nothing 'nuclear' about it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:33 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:

Why are they right now?

My booster argument is that the Cato Institute is a right-wing think tank and has even LESS believability than the CBO.

Back to the point, though, Paul Ryan did say it best at the health care summit when he said that "...hiding spending doesn't reduce spending." The taxes that are collected before services are paid for, the cuts in Medicare, and the other gimmicks are properly accounted for, the ten year cost is more like $2.1 billion. No deficit reduction there. As I read further in the transcript, I see that neither Obama, nor the Democrats had a response to that. What say you?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 am

Zoharland wrote:Well, NSG, will the Republicans anti-Obamacare blitz stop the Democrats from forcing through an unwanted healthcare bill

A bill the Republicans made unwanted, you mean?

People generally support ideas like covering more people, and providing a public option.

It was trying to satisfy Republican complaints that turned the bill into the red-headed stepchild no one wants to be blamed for.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:38 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:

Why are they right now?

Back to the point, though, Paul Ryan did say it best at the health care summit when he said that "...hiding spending doesn't reduce spending." The taxes that are collected before services are paid for, the cuts in Medicare, and the other gimmicks are properly accounted for, the ten year cost is more like $2.1 billion. No deficit reduction there. As I read further in the transcript, I see that neither Obama, nor the Democrats had a response to that. What say you?

Well, obviously - the data from a non-partisan agency is going to be less objective than the data from an ideologically motivated partisan group.
I identify as
a problem

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:38 am

the real question is can the democrats stop republicans from destroying what little is left of america.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Khorata
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Khorata » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 am

If they are going to keep being like this, I may know what it would be in the next election. Communists vs. Democrats. But I think they won't because of why? The Democrat's are in power.
If you are in a roleplay with me, read my wiki. That way, that's all you need to know.http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Khorata

THE FIRST EVER NATIONSTATES SERIAL! http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=59368

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:42 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:

Why are they right now?

Well, obviously - the data from a non-partisan agency is going to be less objective than the data from an ideologically motivated partisan group.

As I said, there was virtually no rebuttal to those points. The CBO can only estimate with the data that it has been given. Just like a computer, garbage in -- garbage out. If the Democrats are going to insist on double counting savings, delaying the provision of services for 6 years, while collecting taxes for 10, of course the CBO numbers will look favorable.

Incidentally, here's the relevant portion of the transcript. Note that Obama avoids the issue and starts in on whether or not Republicans "like" Medicare Advantage -- only he refers to them as "your side". That's a little too partisan for a bi-partisan effort. Should we not be talking about what's good for the people, rather than what's good for our "side"?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04074.html

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:As I said, there was virtually no rebuttal to those points. The CBO can only estimate with the data that it has been given. Just like a computer, garbage in -- garbage out. If the Democrats are going to insist on double counting savings,
The CBO already addressed that.
delaying the provision of services for 6 years, while collecting taxes for 10, of course the CBO numbers will look favorable.
The CBO said it will reduce the deficit over 10 years. You know what the deficit is right?

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 am

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:As I said, there was virtually no rebuttal to those points. The CBO can only estimate with the data that it has been given. Just like a computer, garbage in -- garbage out. If the Democrats are going to insist on double counting savings,
The CBO already addressed that.
delaying the provision of services for 6 years, while collecting taxes for 10, of course the CBO numbers will look favorable.
The CBO said it will reduce the deficit over 10 years. You know what the deficit is right?

I don't see any statement in there that contradicts my complaint about the garbage that the CBO was given to estimate.

First off, the bill has 10 years of tax increases, about half a trillion dollars, with 10 years of Medicare cuts, about half a trillion dollars, to pay for six years of spending. There's one gimmick.

Next, take a look at the Medicare cuts, the bill treats Medicare like a piggy bank. $500 Billion is taken from Medicare, not to shore up Medicare solvency, but to spend on this new government program.

You can't say that you're using this money to either extend Medicare solvency AND also offset the cost of this new program. That's double counting. Another gimmick.

Then, there's the "doc fix" thing... That's been removed because the cost was too embarassing -- about $370 billion.

Last, the chief Medicare actuary states that the cost curve is bending up. That adds another $222 billion to the program.

When you get rid of all the gimmicks that were placed in front of the CBO, the full 10- year cost of the bill has a $460 billion deficit. The second 10-year cost of this bill has a $1.4 trillion deficit.

But you know better...

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 am

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:First off, the bill has 10 years of tax increases, about half a trillion dollars, with 10 years of Medicare cuts, about half a trillion dollars, to pay for six years of spending. There's one gimmick.

Next, take a look at the Medicare cuts, the bill treats Medicare like a piggy bank. $500 Billion is taken from Medicare, not to shore up Medicare solvency, but to spend on this new government program.
Health care costs money? I'm shocked. The CBO also knows this, and accounted for this in its analysis? You're about to give me a heart attack.

You can't say that you're using this money to either extend Medicare solvency AND also offset the cost of this new program. That's double counting. Another gimmick.
Which the CBO already accounted for.

Then, there's the "doc fix" thing... That's been removed because the cost was too embarassing -- about $370 billion.
Then it's not really relevant, is it?

Last, the chief Medicare actuary states that the cost curve is bending up. That adds another $222 billion to the program.

Ummmmm... no. He estimated it might add $234 billion to the total cost of health care in the whole country over 10 years. Compared to the $35.5 trillion this country will spend on health care over the next 10 years, that number is actually astonishingly small if one considers that the CBO estimates that coverage will expand (incidentally, so does Richard Foster, that is why he thinks costs will rise) and deficits will fall. But if you have more lies that you'd like to throw into the debate, please feel free to do so.
When you get rid of all the gimmicks that were placed in front of the CBO, the full 10- year cost of the bill has a $460 billion deficit. The second 10-year cost of this bill has a $1.4 trillion deficit.

But you know better...

No, the CBO knows better.
Last edited by NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 am

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:No, the CBO knows better.

The CBO has not accounted for the misleading conditions under which it was required to estimate costs and savings. That's the point. They are given garbage and anything they produce is bound to be in error. Historically, they have always estimated entitlement programs wrong. Usually by anywhere between 2 and 10 times. And those estimates have always been on the low side, meaning we always pay more for the program than was estimated at it's inception.

If you want to ignore history, be assured you rest in good company -- that's what Congress expects from us.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General