NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently III?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Azurand
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurand » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:41 am

Alien Nine...shame it's so hard to find the subbed version, so I also read the manga.
PAIN - PAIX - LIBERTÉ

Boring Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Boring Paradise » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 am

Fairy Tail (Catching up to the ongoing part), Little Busters and Code Geass
I got 6 ongoing anime I am also watching.
The Paradisian Empire contains the Center, Boring Paradise, and the loyal countries that have sworn allegiance.

Best Places
U-15 World Cup 7 Runners-Up
WWISC 2 Runners Up
U-15 Chamionship (3rd Place)
Friendly Cup X (3rd Place)
Hosted
Internation FireStorm Cup II,III
Friendly Cup X

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:11 am

Finished Ep 18 of Magi: Labyrinth of Magic.

The feels are real.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Gaiserin
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiserin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:35 am

Spoder wrote:Finished Ep 18 of Magi: Labyrinth of Magic.

The feels are real.

Great anime is it?
■■▀■▀■▀■▀▀▀■■■

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:37 am

Gaiserin wrote:
Spoder wrote:Finished Ep 18 of Magi: Labyrinth of Magic.

The feels are real.

Great anime is it?

Yes.

Really good anime. Amazing anime. The animation and storytelling is superb. There's a few moments that feel really plastic, but they are incredibly few and far in between (there's actually only been one moment that felt like that so far).

I highly recommend it to everybody.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm going to go back for a moment to respond to something.
Full context here so I can avoid manual quoting.

While this is true to some extent, I'd be quick to point out it is very dependent upon the situation and context the show is watched in. For example back in my middle school days in either fourth or fifth grade we watched 'Gandhi' as an introduction to decolonialism as a whole and India in particular with basically no introduction to the topic more than the word 'decolonialism'. Nonetheless we were able to understand it thanks to the medium it was filmed in. The less savory parts of British colonial rule could be shown rather than told or read, and that remains a very powerful tool for the expression of a message.

Now, to bring this around to the topic. The medium changing from live-action to anime has little, if any, detriment to this power. In fact, in many cases for many stories it can be an active boon thanks to the somewhat less demanding suspension of disbelief required (everyone had to accept a LOT more watching something like Pacific Rim where it's trying to be 'real' than something like Evangelion where it's already a 'cartoon' and leaps past that hurdle of 'realism' almost entirely). I'm pretty much certain this is why anime and cartoons are populated heavily with science-fiction, fantasy and other outlandish concepts like giant robots and talking animals and harems (though thankfully the talking animal harems haven't arrived yet to my knowledge). Special effects still aren't cheap, especially if you want them to look even vaguely realistic. Animation though? It was pretty cheap before and is only getting cheaper, to my knowledge.

Anyways, unless one is to argue the usage of animation alone as the medium retards storyline or message or such, it's hard to claim it can't do the same thing the Gandhi film did. In An American Tail we aren't left with only 'these are immigrant mice', their being immigrants is shown along with the suffering from as well as the suffering they had left. In Princess Mononoke we aren't left with the city-scene of progress, but the effects that progress has had on the surrounding land. The context is essentially self-contained, but still open to being discussed in a larger picture.

Depending on age, one might miss or not be able to fully grasp that 'larger picture' from a historical perspective, but if the show is done right that will be largely unnecessary because the larger picture will be so heavily alluded to through the events shown as to incite discussion and/or thought on the topic anyways. When I watched Princess Mononoke with my at the time 7-year old nephew for example, it segued very easily into him asking questions about and at least thinking about environmentalism, conservation, and religion. Despite neither one of us really being all that familiar with the process of industrialization in Japan.

Of course, that's helped by the fact that Princess Mononoke isn't historical so doesn't require any background knowledge really, but the point holds true regardless of the historical nature of the show. Grave of the Fireflies is historical, but decidedly doesn't require a knowledge of WWII to be affected by. Similarly the multitude of more fantastical anime shows don't require any historical knowledge at all because of their decided differences in or lack of historical context. They hold themselves up (or don't, in some cases I admit) by what they can convey themselves without the need for outside knowledge. And children are fully capable of understanding a story when conveyed correctly.

Whew. Anyways...Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Animation started more expensive I believe, and 2D may even still be more expensive.

The manhours it takes to hand draw every frame is mind boggling.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Well in the modern world CG animation is becoming more common, and while more efficient, it's not necessarily cheaper.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Eaglleia wrote:Well in the modern world CG animation is becoming more common, and while more efficient, it's not necessarily cheaper.

The way the artists use 2D graphics software is they first draw a pencil sketch, give it some values and then scan it. The color is done with the software.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Gaiserin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiserin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Spoder wrote:Yes.

Really good anime. Amazing anime. The animation and storytelling is superb. There's a few moments that feel really plastic, but they are incredibly few and far in between (there's actually only been one moment that felt like that so far).

I highly recommend it to everybody.

At one point I did read few chapters of its manga, didn't caught my interest at the time but perhaps I'll give the anime a try.
■■▀■▀■▀■▀▀▀■■■

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm nearing the end of Fate/Zero and am about half way through Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Also, finally found the third season of Kyou Kara Maoh! online; much fanboy squee ensued.

Also, new thread! Squee!
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Kalbana
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalbana » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:06 pm

I recently finished The Devil is a Part-Timer. I was constantly laughing my ass off.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm

I finished Pscyho-Pass. Best anime I watched this year.

Considering watching Sakura Trick. I might need some cutey therapy after Urobutcher :p
Last edited by The Carlisle on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Tano wrote:Saturday is my favorite day of the week, because that's when new Log Horizon episodes are released on CR :P

*hums intro*

It's certainly a fun anime to watch, having played an MMORPG a few years back helps a bit too.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Spoder wrote:
Eaglleia wrote:Well in the modern world CG animation is becoming more common, and while more efficient, it's not necessarily cheaper.

The way the artists use 2D graphics software is they first draw a pencil sketch, give it some values and then scan it. The color is done with the software.

Even the animators of Sazae-san have done this...since 2013.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:18 pm

The Carlisle wrote:I finished Pscyho-Pass. Best anime I watched this year.

Considering watching Sakura Trick. I might need some cutey therapy after Urobutcher :p

If there's one thing Sakura Trick has, it's cuteness. That and furious lesbian makeout sessions out the ears.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:A direct continuation on the threads started by Nana no Tsuki dedicated to this medium of entertainment with a diversity only smaller than the different tastes of the many users of this site. Like always, here we'll pretty much post about the thing we enjoy...and all the related details that can encompass it. A big introduction will be impossible if we've dedicated previous 1000 pages of something that can only be generalized to avoid lengthiness; so all I can hope for is that everybody continues on with this and let's cross our fingers for more to come.

That being noted, as OP I have to say something about the things I've been viewing lately. I have said it a few times before but; I've been under the spell of Princess Arete, a film with a retro look whose story had pleasant characters and many different clues relating to it's background story. Hint-Hint, Clarke's Third Law. I've also been selectively viewing episodes of Haibane Renmei and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru on the weekends because I'm a sucker for magical realism and the Slice of Life genre.

And, what of you? Have you seen a series or an animated film recently? Read a manga? Heard online rumors of x series or it's staff and studio? Wanna say something about x franchise or the possible derivations and spin-offs?

Nanatsu no Tsuki, dear. :p

Speaking of Nana no Tsuki, I just re-watched a fee episodes of Loveless.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Senyosu
Senator

Founded: Mar 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Senyosu » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:I finished Pscyho-Pass. Best anime I watched this year.

If there's one thing Sakura Trick has, it's cuteness. That and furious lesbian makeout sessions out the ears.

Barakamon was my cute medicine :>

/notice me ameri
Senyosu is under reconstruction, however, former tropes still apply

The State of Senyosu ― Senñosy-ül Jür

Your resident Frugal, Nationalistic, Quasi-Jingoist, Buddhist-Tengrist, North-East Asian, Technocratic, Democratic Khanate
anything u want me to be babe ;)

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Senyosu wrote:Barakamon was my cute medicine :>

/notice me ameri

Aside from that bitch who was friends with Glasses Fujoshi, it was a cute show.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Senyosu
Senator

Founded: Mar 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Senyosu » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Senyosu wrote:Barakamon was my cute medicine :>

/notice me ameri

Aside from that bitch who was friends with Glasses Fujoshi, it was a cute show.

I find it to be a kind of anime to marathon through. Almost movie like~
Senyosu is under reconstruction, however, former tropes still apply

The State of Senyosu ― Senñosy-ül Jür

Your resident Frugal, Nationalistic, Quasi-Jingoist, Buddhist-Tengrist, North-East Asian, Technocratic, Democratic Khanate
anything u want me to be babe ;)

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Fuck~ Me~ This ship, I cannot into getting her :c
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Eaglleia wrote:Fate/UBW is mounting up for next episode, it seems.
Akame ga Kill looks like it'll go for an anime original ending, huh.
And SAOII remains surprisingly faithful.

Welp, time for me to drop Akame.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 am

New haven america wrote:
Eaglleia wrote:Fate/UBW is mounting up for next episode, it seems.
Akame ga Kill looks like it'll go for an anime original ending, huh.
And SAOII remains surprisingly faithful.

Welp, time for me to drop Akame.

I'm not familiar with Akame ga Kill, but anime original endings aren't always bad. Look at 2003's FMA and Black Butler season one.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Gaiserin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiserin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:45 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Welp, time for me to drop Akame.

I'm not familiar with Akame ga Kill, but anime original endings aren't always bad. Look at 2003's FMA and Black Butler season one.

SAO II's second opening is awfully catchy.
Courage, by Nightcore.
■■▀■▀■▀■▀▀▀■■■

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Welp, time for me to drop Akame.

FMA03's second half was grim-dark and acted way too "Try Hard".

I haven't seen Black Butler though, so can't argue that right now.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction