NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 pm

The singer of Killing Joke apparently does classical music and middle eastern influenced music as his solo stuff.

...Talk about a bit of a difference compared to Killing Joke itself.

Killing Joke gets classified as post-punk, and the album I'm listening to, industrial metal on top of that (With noticeable electronic music elements mixed in), but I don't really see what specifically defines it as "punk" instead of just metal. Maybe it's just because it sounds way different than any punk I've heard before, I dunno, I just don't hear the punk sounds. Maybe it fit for their earlier stuff more, I dunno.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 pm

So who are some of your guys' favourite vocalists? For me I'd put down Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda (Because childhood), Chino Moreno (because teenagerhood), Mark Kozelek (because he makes me all the sadsad), Matthew Bellamy and Thom Yorke (because FALFALSETTO) and Yoanne Lemoine (just because cute little French take on filthy English language, ugggggh).

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Just checked my top 10 most listened songs since the counters were reset because my pc fucked up.

1. Excrementory Grindfuckers - You're My Grind, You're My Core
2. Destruction - The Alliance of Hellhoundz
3. Klamydia - Mä Oon Tyhmä (Chlamydia - I Am Stupid)
4. Klamydia - Rakas Hullu (Chlamydia - Dear Madman)
5. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
6. Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
7. Frederik - Sheikki Ali Hassan (Sheik Ali Hassan)
8. Pate Mustajärvi - Ukkometso (Cock Wood Grouse )
9. Pate Mustajärvi - Mä Elän Vieläkin (I'm Living Still)
10. Sparzanza - Alone with a Loaded Gun

That's not even near the actual, before reset stats. Before it reset my top 3 was like Push It to the Limit with 60+, Kingston Wall's The Real Thing with 50+ and Hurriganes' Get On with 40+.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:So who are some of your guys' favourite vocalists? For me I'd put down Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda (Because childhood), Chino Moreno (because teenagerhood), Mark Kozelek (because he makes me all the sadsad), Matthew Bellamy and Thom Yorke (because FALFALSETTO) and Yoanne Lemoine (just because cute little French take on filthy English language, ugggggh).

Probably my very favorite is Matt Barlow from Iced Earth, and other favorites would be Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, Hebrand Larsen from Enslaved, David Vincent of Morbid Angel, and Xenoyr of Ne Obliviscaris.
Last edited by Volmachtia on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:So who are some of your guys' favourite vocalists? For me I'd put down Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda (Because childhood), Chino Moreno (because teenagerhood), Mark Kozelek (because he makes me all the sadsad), Matthew Bellamy and Thom Yorke (because FALFALSETTO) and Yoanne Lemoine (just because cute little French take on filthy English language, ugggggh).

Top 3

1. Messiah Marcolin (ex-Candlemass, ex-Memento Mori)
2. Elvis Presley
3. Stu Block (Iced Earth)
Last edited by Cadonica on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 pm

I think Winamp kept track of mine before...

Now I just use Last.FM :P

Yoanne Lemoine has an awesome voice.

Matthew Bellamy's okay. I enjoy Muse but his voice can get on my nerves at times.

Thom Yorke is awesome. So is Mark Kozelek. He's become one I quite enjoy.

I can't immediately identify the others but I have ideas for 2 of them (Linkin Park singer and Deftones?)

As far as falsetto singers go for me:
Jon Por Birgisson of Sigur Ros. Uses his falsetto in many different ways, but mostly in very pretty ways. But he's got a very good range, and can use it in dark, ominous songs, as well.

Metal singers:
Kyo of Dir en Grey for his craziness
Dominique Lenore Persi of Stolen Babies, which is really more than just metal but she does a really good job at it all, and has definite black metal and death metal type of sounds in her singing, too. She's pretty nuts and she's certainly one of my favorite female singers.
I don't know many actual singers names so I can't really throw many out on the top of my head.

Various others:
Arnor Dan of Agent Fresco for his extremely varied range. Great mellow singing, falsetto, hell, even good metal vocals.
I would say the singer of the Knife and Fever Ray, too, but I don't know her name.

You know, really, I don't think enough about favorite singers or know enough names to make a good list :P
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Corrian wrote:I think Winamp kept track of mine before...

Might as well start Last.FM JUST for that. I take it syncs your listens when you log in, it doesn't have to be open while listening to track them?
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Cadonica wrote:Might as well start Last.FM JUST for that. I take it syncs your listens when you log in, it doesn't have to be open while listening to track them?

I'm not entirely sure how that works. I think you can copy over what you've already listened to and suddenly have like thousands of song listens, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that because I never did. But you can hook whatever you're using to listen to, I think, to it in some way and get Scrobbles, which work any time without having the thing up, to keep track of how many songs you've listened to in total/how many times.

I have 16,437 total plays.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cadonica wrote:Might as well start Last.FM JUST for that. I take it syncs your listens when you log in, it doesn't have to be open while listening to track them?

I'm not entirely sure how that works. I think you can copy over what you've already listened to and suddenly have like thousands of song listens, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that because I never did. But you can hook whatever you're using to listen to, I think, to it in some way and get Scrobbles, which work any time without having the thing up, to keep track of how many songs you've listened to in total/how many times.

I have 16,437 total plays.

Oh well, might create an account again. If I find out how to bring old listens there, I'd have 15,000+ songs instantly listened to at least once :lol:

Done, if someone wants to add me, feel free. Now's time to add artists and find out how to import my counters... so far only found export option.
Last edited by Cadonica on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 am

Sent a friend request. I'm captaincrunchey.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 am

Musical compatibility with Cosumar very low, and with Volmachtia even lower.
Get on my level :p
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 am

Cadonica wrote:Musical compatibility with Cosumar very low, and with Volmachtia even lower.

You're not going to have much music compatibility with anybody when you only have ten plays :geek:
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 am

Cosumar wrote:
Cadonica wrote:Musical compatibility with Cosumar very low, and with Volmachtia even lower.

You're not going to have much music compatibility with anybody when you only have ten plays :geek:

But... why did I have super with someone else... :unsure:
I thought it checks the compatibility based on library, not listens...

And apparently the import option is semi-broken, it didn't import even half of the stuff.
Last edited by Cadonica on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Edmison
Secretary

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edmison » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:30 am

Cadonica wrote:
Cosumar wrote:You're not going to have much music compatibility with anybody when you only have ten plays :geek:

But... why did I have super with someone else... :unsure:

And apparently the import option is semi-broken, it didn't import even half of the stuff.

It does check on compatibility, but if you have only ten plays you can have a maximum of ten artists in your library, so chances of a match are slimmer.

As for my favourite vocalists, I'd have to say Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day, see: nostalgia), Mark Knopfler, David Bowie and Kurt Cobain.
Last edited by Edmison on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like to keep busy. I find it more interesting than keeping still."

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:50 am

Edmison wrote:
Cadonica wrote:But... why did I have super with someone else... :unsure:

It does check on compatibility, but if you have only ten plays you can have a maximum of ten artists in your library, so chances of a match are slimmer.

As for my favourite vocalists, I'd have to say Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day, see: nostalgia), Mark Knopfler, David Bowie and Kurt Cobain.

Except I added whole bunch manually, I had 10 plays and 300+ artists. Then I imported my library and it gave 2500 plays instantly, still the same result.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Mirrodinia
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirrodinia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01 am

Corrian wrote:I think Winamp kept track of mine before...

Yoanne Lemoine has an awesome voice.

Matthew Bellamy's okay. I enjoy Muse but his voice can get on my nerves at times.

Thom Yorke is awesome. So is Mark Kozelek. He's become one I quite enjoy.

I can't immediately identify the others but I have ideas for 2 of them (Linkin Park singer and Deftones?)

As far as falsetto singers go for me:
Jon Por Birgisson of Sigur Ros. Uses his falsetto in many different ways, but mostly in very pretty ways. But he's got a very good range, and can use it in dark, ominous songs, as well.

Metal singers:
Kyo of Dir en Grey for his craziness
Dominique Lenore Persi of Stolen Babies, which is really more than just metal but she does a really good job at it all, and has definite black metal and death metal type of sounds in her singing, too. She's pretty nuts and she's certainly one of my favorite female singers.
I don't know many actual singers names so I can't really throw many out on the top of my head.

Various others:
Arnor Dan of Agent Fresco for his extremely varied range. Great mellow singing, falsetto, hell, even good metal vocals.
I would say the singer of the Knife and Fever Ray, too, but I don't know her name.

You know, really, I don't think enough about favorite singers or know enough names to make a good list :P

Bellamy's a great singer, he just tends to sing a little more, "faux-opretically," as I would call it, nowadays. Love his voice though.
QueenRushMuse Yeah!
"Come on, you know I'm at least half crazy. (weird people live longer)"--Bohlatopia

"We need more songs about pets and less about breakups and romances and love stories and blah blah blah."--Corrian

"If you see it darling, it's there."--Freddie Mercury

"I don't need a girl
Don't need a friend
Cause my friend lonesome's unconditional."
--Max Collins, EVE 6

"Blah blah"--Alex Lifeson

"The most endangered species
The honest man
Will still survive annihilation
Forming a world
State of integrity
Sensitive, open and strong"
--Neil Peart
"Why would one want to not be weird? If you aren't weird then you are normal, and you know something about normal...it doesn't exist.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 am

Apparently Cadonica tracked me down himself...
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am

Corrian wrote:Apparently Cadonica tracked me down himself...

Wasn't that hard :p
I rememberd your youtube name and either Cosumar or Vol had only 4 friends, one being me, one being one of them and one was magmia, you were the last one :p
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:07 am

From the last time that question was asked, a while back:
Ancient Magmia wrote:In no particular order:
Dennis Brown (probably my #1 at the moment)
Chronixx
Jah Cure
Gregory Isaacs
Garnett Silk

Yeah, they're all reggae vocalists...reggae vocalist are and probably always will be my favorite vocalists. :p
Unfortunately the first one and last two are deceased. :(

I knew you'd get one eventually.
It doesn't have to be open, just connected to whatever you're using to listen to music. And scrobbling has to be enabled obviously.

Sent you a friend request, I'm ReggaeMagmia.
Last edited by Ancient Magmia on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:13 am

Ancient Magmia wrote:

I knew you'd get one eventually.
It doesn't have to be open, just connected to whatever you're using to listen to music. And scrobbling has to be enabled obviously.

I knew all that :p
Both your name and openness and stuff.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 am

Oh, and a lovely thing happen last night; I cracked my headphones...they fell of the bed and one of the earcups slammed into my desk. They still work perfectly fine, thank god, but I'm afraid the left earcup is gonna break off because it's pretty flimsy. So, I'm using my old ones until I figure out how to secure my regular ones...
On the bright side, my old ones are actually pretty damn good.

Cadonica wrote:
Ancient Magmia wrote:I knew you'd get one eventually.

I knew all that :p

Figured the name would be obvious. :p
Ah...I think I misread your question. I'm not sure how syncing works.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 am

Ancient Magmia wrote:
Cadonica wrote:I knew all that :p

Figured the name would be obvious. :p
Ah...I think I misread your question. I'm not sure how syncing works.

The thing is, it doesn't. I have listened every single one of my 15000+ songs at least once. After importing however, I only got 2500~listens. Also, it lists Anal Cunt and Black Sabbath as my most listened artists and bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Popeda or Iced Earth have 0 listens.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 am

Cadonica wrote:The thing is, it doesn't. I have listened every single one of my 15000+ songs at least once. After importing however, I only got 2500~listens. Also, it lists Anal Cunt and Black Sabbath as my most listened artists and bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Popeda or Iced Earth have 0 listens.

Damn, that sucks. I would have thought they would have some type of syncing thing.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 am

Ancient Magmia wrote:
Cadonica wrote:The thing is, it doesn't. I have listened every single one of my 15000+ songs at least once. After importing however, I only got 2500~listens. Also, it lists Anal Cunt and Black Sabbath as my most listened artists and bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Popeda or Iced Earth have 0 listens.

Damn, that sucks. I would have thought they would have some type of syncing thing.

Well, I halt my media player listening until I've gotten the plays right :p
Listening to stuff with Foobar until WMP and Last.fm plays are correct. Once I get smart phone (father promised me one when I graduate in 1 month) I get scrobbler in it and then Last.fm will be my "god" in times listened lists :lol:
Until that WMP is the God in that matter.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

Boy..... This time I had a dream about me starting as the goalie of Toronto Maple Leafs at the Game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals(so sudden death) and you should see what happened there. They started playing Light Me Up, just as I entered the ice and played 'Wings', 'O Fortuna' and 'Home(Birdy song)' before the puckdrop. Pretty cool, eh?
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction