NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 am

The Bends is britpop? :blink:
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 am

Corrian wrote:The Bends is britpop? :blink:

Yep, BritPop as a genre definition is kind of useless as it refers more to a movement than a particular sound/style - all you really needed was to be a guitar based band from Britain releasing albums between 1992-97 and you'd be lumped into the BritPop scene.

Radiohead's first two albums were released in 1993 and 1995 respectively, and they have always been associated with the other bands that came to prominence at that time. Of course, Radiohead didn't really hit their stride until OK Computer in 1997, by which time the BritPop movement was dying down, which is why they aren't thought of as much as a BritPop act as the likes of Blur & Oasis, who both had number one albums under their belts by 1994.
Save the Creme Egg!

Tim Minchin wrote:I'm not pessimistic about the supernatural, but rather I'm optimistic about the natural
Jasper Fforde wrote:If the real world were a book, it would never find a publisher. Overlong, detailed to the point of distraction - and ultimately, without a major resolution.
Dennis the peasant wrote:Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 am

Creative Vikings wrote:So here's a list of most of the songs I've been listening to over the past two months or so, presented in not only glorious alphabetical order, but also in almost-cleverly-named catergories:

I love the Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin songs you listed.
Call me Jake or Jay| Pronouns: he/him/his
HYDRA PFC | The Chaos Brigade PFC

Never let them take the light behind your eyes - My Chemical Romance

Haywood Yablome
Secretary

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Haywood Yablome » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

You should NOT be listening to Britpop gubbins.
Wot you wans is brit popsike, Jimmehs. That is where the gold is.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 am

Haywood Yablome wrote:You should NOT be listening to Britpop gubbins.

I should be listening to whatever the fuck I want to be listening to.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am

Corrian wrote:
Haywood Yablome wrote:You should NOT be listening to Britpop gubbins.

I should be listening to whatever the fuck I want to be listening to.

This, so much. Just listened to Kreator, right now Creedence Clearwater Revival, next might be raw black metal.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:27 am

Cadonica wrote:This, so much. Just listened to Kreator, right now Creedence Clearwater Revival, next might be raw black metal.

Half their post made absolutely no sense to me, anyway.
My Last.FM and RYM

Mayane
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Corrian wrote:The Bends is britpop? :blink:

Yep, BritPop as a genre definition is kind of useless as it refers more to a movement than a particular sound/style - all you really needed was to be a guitar based band from Britain releasing albums between 1992-97 and you'd be lumped into the BritPop scene.

Radiohead's first two albums were released in 1993 and 1995 respectively, and they have always been associated with the other bands that came to prominence at that time. Of course, Radiohead didn't really hit their stride until OK Computer in 1997, by which time the BritPop movement was dying down, which is why they aren't thought of as much as a BritPop act as the likes of Blur & Oasis, who both had number one albums under their belts by 1994.

The Bends is already a solid 8+/10 album.

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 am

Alright guys, what do you guys think about dubstep and chillstep?

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:58 am

Havenburgh wrote:Alright guys, what do you guys think about dubstep and chillstep?

Terrible.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Havenburgh wrote:Alright guys, what do you guys think about dubstep and chillstep?

I have no idea what the hell chillstep is, but Dubstep can be good under the right circumstances. It just has become an extremely bastardized genre plagued with shitty crap that sounds identical to each other.
My Last.FM and RYM

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Mayane wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

OK Computer was their first number one album is what I meant, not that it was their first good album. It was the album which really propelled them into wider public awareness, and as it came at the end of BritPop they're often viewed separately from the movement, even though it's where they started out.
Save the Creme Egg!

Tim Minchin wrote:I'm not pessimistic about the supernatural, but rather I'm optimistic about the natural
Jasper Fforde wrote:If the real world were a book, it would never find a publisher. Overlong, detailed to the point of distraction - and ultimately, without a major resolution.
Dennis the peasant wrote:Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cadonica wrote:This, so much. Just listened to Kreator, right now Creedence Clearwater Revival, next might be raw black metal.

Half their post made absolutely no sense to me, anyway.

I think he was saying to listen to the psychedelic pop of 60s Britain, not 90s Britpop.

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Mayane wrote:

OK Computer was their first number one album is what I meant, not that it was their first good album. It was the album which really propelled them into wider public awareness, and as it came at the end of BritPop they're often viewed separately from the movement, even though it's where they started out.

It's kinda silly to call early Radiohead Britpop but not Placebo.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

The REAL Glasers
Minister

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The REAL Glasers » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Whenever I hear the word "chill" associated with music I automatically relate it to snapbacks and frat bros.
YouTube Channel
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Onespeed
http://www.last.fm/user/TheYardstick
Economic Left/Right: -4.88 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67
I want a riot grrrlfriend

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

It's kinda silly to call early Radiohead Britpop but not Placebo.

It's a good thing I think of Placebo as BritPop too then :)

Nancy Boy is definitely regarded as a BritPop dong
Save the Creme Egg!

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:Nancy Boy is definitely regarded as a BritPop dong

That was a great Freudian slip right there.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Ancient Magmia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:One quick question for the music lovers here: What do you think of traditional music? (ex: bluegrass, enka, cumbia, and the like)

Not the kind of music I listen to often, but I enjoy it; more than I do a lot of the mainstream music that's out there. I love Bill Monroe's Blue Moon Of Kentucky
I've never heard of enka and cumbia though...guess I have more music to explore now. :p

Enka is traditional Japanese music, although there's a more electrified version of it being played now. It can be instrumental, but there are sung versions of it too.

Cumbia is part of traditional Latin American music, particularly Colombia and Mexico.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Dubstep to me sounds like the shitty music they play at night clubs and stuff: repetitive and annoying.
Never heard of chillstep though.

The REAL Glasers wrote:Whenever I hear the word "chill" associated with music I automatically relate it to snapbacks and frat bros.

I relate it to jazz, and for some reason I relate it to beatniks as well (maybe because of the jazz). :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Enka is traditional Japanese music, although there's a more electrified version of it being played now. It can be instrumental, but there are sung versions of it too.

Cumbia is part of traditional Latin American music, particularly Colombia and Mexico.

Interesting. Definitely something I'm going to check out.
Thanks.

Also, when I originally answered your question, I forgot that I like traditional Middle Eastern music. Music from the Ottoman era in particular (I assume that can be considered traditional) is something I find really enjoyable, and traditional Turkish music in general.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

Haywood Yablome
Secretary

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Haywood Yablome » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm

"I like traditional Middle Eastern music. Music from the Ottoman era in particular (I assume that can be considered traditional) is something I find really enjoyable, and traditional Turkish music in general."

BRIAN KEANE "SULYIMAN THE MAGNIFICENT" is a recommended lp.
'88 Celestial Harmonies

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Ancient Magmia wrote:

Dubstep to me sounds like the shitty music they play at night clubs and stuff: repetitive and annoying.
Never heard of chillstep though.

The REAL Glasers wrote:Whenever I hear the word "chill" associated with music I automatically relate it to snapbacks and frat bros.

I relate it to jazz, and for some reason I relate it to beatniks as well (maybe because of the jazz). :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Enka is traditional Japanese music, although there's a more electrified version of it being played now. It can be instrumental, but there are sung versions of it too.

Interesting. Definitely something I'm going to check out.
Thanks.

Also, when I originally answered your question, I forgot that I like traditional Middle Eastern music. Music from the Ottoman era in particular (I assume that can be considered traditional) is something I find really enjoyable, and traditional Turkish music in general.

Oh, definitely. I would consider that to be in the category of traditional music. I'm afraid, though, that my only experience with Turkish music has been modern, with singers like Tarkan. But I would defintely give the traditional kind a try.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Calorax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Calorax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Fellate my ego! Check out my factbook!
Pro: Björk, Scotland, Irish reunification, LGBT rights and marriage, secularism, centrism, feminism, free education and healthcare, completely free speech, representative democracy, pacifism, Nordic model, EU, environmentalism, UK Green Party

Against: Björkaphobia, social conservatism, corporatism, fascism, death penalty, Thatcherism, UKIP, House of Lords, nuclear power, war on drugs, homophobia, misogyny, USA foreign policy

I don't have a clue about: Palestine.
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

I'm a social anarchist. Yeah, i know

Music taste and stuff.
INFJ

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woabGFa_QQc

Spotify ads helped me discover this lovely piece of indie.

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Haywood Yablome wrote:BRIAN KEANE "SULYIMAN THE MAGNIFICENT" is a recommended lp.
'88 Celestial Harmonies

Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Oh, definitely. I would consider that to be in the category of traditional music. I'm afraid, though, that my only experience with Turkish music has been modern, with singers like Tarkan. But I would defintely give the traditional kind a try.

My experience has just been like, two albums and random stuff I find on Youtube, so I don't really have a lot of recommendations for you. :p
But one was an album from the Lalezar Ensemble, which was glorious (can't remember the exact name, something along the lines of "Music of the Sultans and Sufis Vol. 1). They would probably be a good start. The second was from the Classical Arabic Orchestra of Aleppo, which was pretty good. They might be worth listening to as well.

There's also an album called Eastern Wind that has traditional music from multiple Middle Eastern cultures, as well as Armenian IIRC. I believe the artists are called The Qadim Ensemble. It's an amazing album.
Matter of fact, I feel like listening to it now...

So, I guess I did have a few recommendations. :p
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Thafoo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woabGFa_QQc

Spotify ads helped me discover this lovely piece of indie.

I wouldn't say I'm an indie guy, but damn...that was awesome.

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:Nancy Boy is definitely regarded as a BritPop dong

That was a great Freudian slip right there.

Oops, that's what I get for posting on my phone!

I actually saw Placebo at V in 2001, great lineup that year - shame it's pretty much gone to shit these days
Save the Creme Egg!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction