NATION

PASSWORD

The Star Wars vs. WH40K Debate

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which series do you prefer [Not who wins.]

Star Wars
37%
WH40k
30%
Halo
10%
Combination of each
6%
All of them
10%
Other
8%

Total votes : 719

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Raziac wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Regular Terminator Armour has a 2+ regular save, 5+ invunerable save. Grey Knight Terminator armour, has, I believe, a 2+ invunerable save.

So there you go. We just murdered you and your lightsaber.

In a game play setting that favors the defender sure.

:eyebrow: Don't know exactly what you wanted to prove
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Raziac wrote:W40K would win on the ground. 1 Beta psyker beats Sith Lord/Jedi Knight, 5 Grey Knights beats Sith Lord/Jedi Knight. 1 Emperor class Titan beats 5 AT-ST's. In space……… not using FTL drives that rely on going through hell is a bonus. And bio-bombs are awesome.

One on One? I would beat on any Sith lord of skill fighting against a beta level Psyker of any race.

And Gray Knights are not overly impressive unless if fighting together; I wonder how impressive they would be with ruptured Lungs or lightning frying their organs to a crisp. Or a Lightsaber beheading them; That would be fun seeing as how the Light Saber can only be countered by a handful of materials which might not even exist in the Imperium.

The kind of powers and threats to themselves they regularly face since they are the ones that go up against the worst chaos incursions and threats? These are the guys that get dropped on a planet where some chaos gibbly has popped through capable of driving everyone on the planet mad just by manifesting. These are the guys that regularly punch out Cthulhu - facing threats bigger, stronger, faster, more magical...

Never mind Grey Knights are also psykers, any Grey Knight of notable rank is going to be capable of breaking out Holocaust, Scourging, Hammerhead or Word of the Emperor. A squad will be able to do the same (plus have the benefit of Shrouding if they use it, so your enemy is essentially having to fight them through the effects of a persistent holy flash bang). Plus the whole "armed with rapid fire rocket launchers, tank/squad destroying grenades etc wielded by super humanly fast and strong warriors with centuries of combat experience against armies of guys easily on par with any normal Jedi/Sith (as displayed in the movies or the Clones Wars), while their heroes and Grand Masters go toe to toe with demon princes and greater demons that can single handily lay waste to entire planets and armies with ease"

The Zeonic States wrote:
To use the game, Grey Knight Terminators have a 2+ invunerable save, so basically, their armour has a chance to stop anything. Anything at all.

And How would that translate out of game? They have a low percent chance for an attack to be blocked by armor? And aren't the Terminators basically the heads of their order? The grand Master or whatever?

I don't recall extending the invite to them when it wasn't offered we were discussing their more run of the mill cousins.

Terminators are common in Grey Knights armies. They are youngsters compared to the actual Grand Masters of the order.
Last edited by Transhuman Proteus on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raziac
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raziac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:Now all we need is a ruleset that makes it possible for Star Wars and WH40K miniatures to face each other in combat. Miniature wargaming enthusiasts, grab your dice and start rolling!

T'would be badass.
FT-Prime. Stand your ground laws in effect. A country of human beings living in a bi-solar planetary system.
DEFCON 10
STANDBY LEVEL; 5
BUYING; Uranium
Step 1: Take 5% of my population.
Step 2: Go to nsecomomy, find Raziac.
Step 3: Find Unemployed but Able and Criminal numbers.
Step 4: Divide Unemployed but Able by 4.
Step 5: Add new Unemployed but Able total to the 5%.
Step 6: Divide Criminals by 35.
Step 7: Add new Criminal total to the Unemployed but Able and 5%.
Step 8: Done!
We support alternative energy, or in Emperor Palpatine's words UNLIMITED PPOOWWWAAHHHHHHH!!!!

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Raziac wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Now all we need is a ruleset that makes it possible for Star Wars and WH40K miniatures to face each other in combat. Miniature wargaming enthusiasts, grab your dice and start rolling!

T'would be badass.

I would just translate it into warhammer 40k terms

Stormtroopers=guardsmen

and so on.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Raziac wrote:

T'would be badass.

And actually might level the playing field.

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Raziac wrote:T'would be badass.

Yeah, otherwise 40k would curbstomp star wars.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

It's not really all that difficult when people keep bringing in game values to an out game context. It's not difficult for people to give the illusion of superiority anyway.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

Given the close quarters combat that is so usual in 25mm, that might actually be the case. Lots of close combat weapons in the WH40K universe, after all. Now if the game would be played in the 6mm format, also known as Warhammer 40K Epic if you're a Whammerite, the game would become significantly different. Unfortunately I don't think you've got 6mm miniatures for Star Wars.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:32 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

It's not really all that difficult when people keep bringing in game values to an out game context. It's not difficult for people to give the illusion of superiority anyway.

Look, if we bring in out of game sources, the Space Marines would probably just wipe out the Imperial Navy. Seriously, they're incredibly overpowered in all of the stories.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:33 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:

Look, if we bring in out of game sources, the Space Marines would probably just wipe out the Imperial Navy. Seriously, they're incredibly overpowered in all of the stories.

No, they are perfect! It shows how hard the 40k universe is. The Space Marines are uber powerful gods of war, yet are still defeated by the countless enemies of the Emperor.

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:Look, if we bring in out of game sources, the Space Marines would probably just wipe out the Imperial Navy. Seriously, they're incredibly overpowered in all of the stories.

Nope. They'd be massacred by the overwhelming firepower of Star Wars tech.
Me summed up in one sentence.

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:Look, if we bring in out of game sources, the Space Marines would probably just wipe out the Imperial Navy. Seriously, they're incredibly overpowered in all of the stories.

Space Marines curbstomp everything when outnumbered 1000 to 1. Don't ask me how.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 pm

How would that work though? I mean 40k has blasters and they're called the Emperor's flashlights for their uselessness. So how would the rules work out? And even still we've seen how useless the armor of stormtroopers is in the movies and even more of how they can't aim at all.

I guess Stormtrooper S:3 T:3 BS:2 WS:2 W:1 I:5 Sv:6+ ?
Last edited by Ultis Templarii on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Raziac wrote:T'would be badass.

I would just translate it into warhammer 40k terms

Stormtroopers=guardsmen

and so on.

I'd think guardsmen would still be a little better than stormtroopers thanks to massive numbers they bring to anything, the massive number of tanks and artillery they bring, the prevalence of heavy weapons (A.C., heavy flamers, rocket launchers, plasma weapons, masses of grenades etc), their officers sometimes being augmented in all sorts of crazy ways and the fact they seem to do a bit better in close combat since they they can expect to be in close combat with all sorts of horrible things - orks, tyranids, chaos... and are thus trained for it (the Catchen Jungle Fighters whole thing).

I'd suspect Endor would have gone a lot differently if Imperial Guard had been around the door when the Ewoks attacked. It would have gone "Bears with bows and arrows? Just like the primitives of Casker 7. Very well. Level the forest around us with our massed weaponry. Say five minutes of heavy suppressing fire and artillery bombardment. Then send a squad or two with flamers from our position here to clean up. If we have some Catchens send them." As opposed to what happened "Bears with bows and arrows? Everyone charge! Command or tactics? No, charge, charge!"

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Bone Fort wrote:

Nah, they'd overcome. They'd suffer, but they'd win. A strike cruiser would launching boarding pods against multiple vessels and guess what? Within a few hours those vessels would be under control of the Space Marines. That's what happens when Space Marines fight against regular humans.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:How would that work though? I mean 40k has blasters and they're called the Emperor's flashlights for their uselessness. So how would the rules work out? And even still we've seen how useless the armor of stormtroopers is in the movies and even more of how they can't aim at all.

we can't take that seriously, we have to assume they can aim better, they had to deal with plot shielding and a pg-13 setting.
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:How would that work though? I mean 40k has blasters and they're called the Emperor's flashlights for their uselessness. So how would the rules work out? And even still we've seen how useless the armor of stormtroopers is in the movies and even more of how they can't aim at all.

I 5?!?! Try I 3.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:

Three words

Perfected Dark Trooper

only a handful of phase three's were produced due to the vessel making them being destoryed but with their armor and weaponry? Yeah i think they could rip a space Marine Apart easily or blow them away or burn them to cinders with a repeating autocanon.

Their armor being resistant to even lightersabers and capable of resistant to practically anything else? Toss in ass load of extremely lethal weaponry? Mass production means that your overpowered group of ground powers has an Imperial equal.

Best part? That nearly invincible armor? It was going to be the standard issue material used in storm trooper armor, Not speical forces units mind you, they always had better then the grunt armor but every single one would be issued phrik armor. Energy weapons? Don't even bother, also quite resistant to explosions and projectiles.

In short? There ARE counters to those OP forces you fellows can continue to brag on.

.-. In the Skies, on the Ground and as far as troops go.

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

North Calaveras wrote:

we can't take that seriously, we have to assume they can aim better, they had to deal with plot shielding and a pg-13 setting.

Then S:3 T:3 BS:3 WS:3 W:1 I:5 Ld: 6 Sv:6+?

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Nah, they'd overcome. They'd suffer, but they'd win. A strike cruiser would launching boarding pods against multiple vessels and guess what? Within a few hours those vessels would be under control of the Space Marines. That's what happens when Space Marines fight against regular humans.

... Those boarding pods would be destroyed in seconds by a Star Wars ship's defenses and star fighters.

And even then they'd have to catch them first before the battle, since hyperspace is astronomically faster then Warp travel, and has zero chance of demon attack.

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:

Three words

Perfected Dark Trooper

only a handful of phase three's were produced due to the vessel making them being destoryed but with their armor and weaponry? Yeah i think they could rip a space Marine Apart easily or blow them away or burn them to cinders with a repeating autocanon.

Their armor being resistant to even lightersabers and capable of resistant to practically anything else? Toss in ass load of extremely lethal weaponry? Mass production means that your overpowered group of ground powers has an Imperial equal.

Best part? That nearly invincible armor? It was going to be the standard issue material used in storm trooper armor, Not speical forces units mind you, they always had better then the grunt armor but every single one would be issued phrik armor. Energy weapons? Don't even bother, also quite resistant to explosions and projectiles.

In short? There ARE counters to those OP forces you fellows can continue to brag on.

.-. In the Skies, on the Ground and as far as troops go.

You do realize those are practically the standard issue weapons and gear for Space Marines and Co. and even their opponents.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

Then S:3 T:3 BS:3 WS:3 W:1 I:5 Ld: 6 Sv:6+?

meh idk, id put them equal to your average guardsmen with a bit less accuracy but faster rate of fire.

(idk how to play warhammer 40k table top, after im in the army im going to try it though, looks hard)
Last edited by North Calaveras on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Nah, they'd overcome. They'd suffer, but they'd win. A strike cruiser would launching boarding pods against multiple vessels and guess what? Within a few hours those vessels would be under control of the Space Marines. That's what happens when Space Marines fight against regular humans.

... Those boarding pods would be destroyed in seconds by a Star Wars ship's defenses and star fighters.

And even then they'd have to catch them first before the battle, since hyperspace is astronomically faster then Warp travel, and has zero chance of demon attack.

Bah, nonsense.

An A wing got through ships defenses and took out a Super Star destroyer. A boarding would get though, too. And I'm sure a few would get destroyed, but not all of them.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

The Empire, the Imperium and the UNSC should all just do the decent thing and unite. I mean they're all highly expansionist, militarist, human supremacist with a varying yet shared xenophobia. Then they can wipe out those damn bleeding heart Star Trek liberals.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:You do realize those are practically the standard issue weapons and gear for Space Marines and Co. and even their opponents.

Not even close. If it was, then why do they get there asses handed to them constantly? Why do the enemies of mankind still survive and wage war?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction