NATION

PASSWORD

How much has your taste in music changed?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Zaras wrote:
Plus, there's plenty of fucking rock songs that glorify sex, drugs and women. Why don't people complain about those instead of rap?

Well, they did. Before rap and 2 Live Crew they were dragging Frank Zappa before congress to answer for the sins of rock and roll (well, he didn't have to be dragged, but the situation was dire enough that Frank Zappa had to address congress about it).

Jim Morrison was arrested for indecency. I mean, we can find dozens of instances of challenges to rock and roll and the 'decency' of the youth of America.

Even after rap took the top slot as 'destroyer of youth' there were still rock acts that take the blame for social ills, such as Marilyn Manson or Insane Clown Posse (both acts I completely dislike, but just because I do not find their music pleasant, not because they corrupt youth).

The Onion: "Marilyn Manson going door to door to scare fans".

I loved that part of the hearings where Al Gore said he was a fan of Zappa's music, and the part where Dee Snider completely demolished their arguments and insulted Tipper Gore, and the part where John Denver criticised their proposals when they thought he would be in favour.

PS: ICP aren't a rock band.
Last edited by Zaras on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Their fans act like complete shit heads at gigs.

oh and one of the cunts from the gang band made a rape victim cry by insinuating she was lying
Last edited by Oterro on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Oterro wrote:

Their fans act like complete shit heads at gigs.

Don't most fans?
Bythyrona wrote:
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Zaras wrote:
Oterro wrote:Their fans act like complete shit heads at gigs.

Don't most fans?

most fans don't throw chairs at the support band
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Oterro wrote:
Zaras wrote:
Don't most fans?

most fans don't throw chairs at the support band

... yeah, they don't.
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm

While I agree they have some shit fans, which is pretty obvious, FBI generalizing the whole fan base as a gang is idiotic.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Corrian wrote:While I agree they have some shit fans, which is pretty obvious, FBI generalizing the whole fan base as a gang is idiotic.

This is the institution that tried to listen to "Louie Louie" in every way possible to determine whether the lyrics were obscene and announced that they could not understand the lyrics, but they missed the drummer at one point clicking his sticks and VERY clearly yelling "FUCK!".
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Corrian wrote:While I agree they have some shit fans, which is pretty obvious, FBI generalizing the whole fan base as a gang is idiotic.

nah fuck juggalos

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Oterro wrote:
Forsher wrote:It's how they're written and the message they send. That's why I had to be needlessly pedantic with those examinations of the titles, I'm pretty sure Zaras chose "songs" with messages contrary to expectations.

I dunno how anyone writes about crack dealers and spins it off as being good. You'd have to be a genius to do that. Or you fans would have to be idiots to interpret it that way.

It's the critics. If the critics actually lived in the real world there would be a lot of stuff that we just wouldn't see.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:00 am

Forsher wrote:
Oterro wrote:I dunno how anyone writes about crack dealers and spins it off as being good. You'd have to be a genius to do that. Or you fans would have to be idiots to interpret it that way.

It's the critics. If the critics actually lived in the real world there would be a lot of stuff that we just wouldn't see.

I think it's Queen Latifah who once said that if it wasn't for Straight Outta Compton, she never would've known what life was like in South Central LA.
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction