NATION

PASSWORD

How much has your taste in music changed?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Peacelia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

How much has your taste in music changed?

Postby Peacelia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 pm

When i was little i used to listen to Mexican music like cumbia and stuff like that. Then later on i went with all that crappy pop music until finally i woke up and saw there's real music out there and went with soul and jazz. After that i encountered psychedelic rock and punk. Now most of fav bands are punk, classic or hard rock.

Shadyrya
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadyrya » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Used to like pop/electronica. Now I like post-hardcore.

La Dispute, FTW
Shad :)

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:53 pm

I used to listen to a lot of classic rock and psychedelic music. Then I went through a synth-pop phase and a punk rock phase.

These days I am into industrial rock, especially if it has German lyrics, but I also listen to some gentler stuff for the variety.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 pm

yes

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Hugely so. Two years ago I would've never dreamed of listening to non-classic rock as my main source of music.

Now I'm fully ingrained with folk, field recordings, swing, DnB, some avant garde classical, and more. All thanks to the glorious lands of the internet.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Not all that much.I'm still mostly a rock guy.Though I have a new found interest in certain forms of jazz and new age music.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I use to like a very narrow selection of rock and orchestral music.

Now I like a wide variety of things. It's difficult to find a genre I don't like.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Top 40 > Classic Roc > Prog > a ton of shit

currently really into noise and hip hop
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:10 pm

My taste in music has changed a lot since I first joined NS.

Two years ago, my favorie music was post-grunge, hard rock, alternative metal, and nu metal. That type of stuff, with some classic rock and grunge mixed in.

Now, I am exploring a MUCH wider variety of music (hip hop, jazz, folk, prog, punk, etc.) and have come to find that metal is my favorite genre. Right now I'm in a bit of a black metal phase.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Not much, I've always been exclusively a classical/jazz sort of fellow. Sure I've listened to some classic rock here and there, but why listen to that when I can get far more emotional power from the former?
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Winland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winland » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:24 am

Ever since I can remember I've liked 90s punk and metal - Green Day, The Offspring, Sublime, Rob Zombie, Marylin Manson, etc. For a while I got REALLY into SOAD, never creamed over a band so much in my life. Then a friend showed me Rammstein and I got a fetish for foreign languages. I started to acquire a taste for extreme vocals by listening to Avenged Sevenfold, As I Lay Dying, and Trivium as I went to bed. Then my sister-in-law got me into black metal, melodeath, and folk metal, and now I'm into all kinds of random, eclectic, international metal. So I guess my musical taste never really changed so much as expanded.

Never really been into country, pop, or rap. Oh, and R&B makes my ears bleed, not in a good way either.
In other words — and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded — their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 am

I started off grounded in rock/alt-rock/metal/electronic music, but I haven't really abandoned anything. The only thing that's "changed" per se is that I've expanded the amount of stuff I listen to, my love of shoegazing, dream pop, slowcore, space rock and psychedelic rock in general has become more pronounced, and thanks to my friends' influence I'm much more of a fan of female singer-songwriters (mainly Tori Amos, Kate Bush, PJ Harvey, Lisa Germano, etc.) nowadays.

Oh, and I like Björk now, whereas my stupid 13-year old self hated her. (Damn I was stupid.)
Last edited by Zaras on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Empire of Vlissingen
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Vlissingen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 am

I like Rock and Metal.
I live in The Netherlands.
Economic Left/Right: 4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 am

I used to like most music.

Now I like most music, but slightly more than before.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Ryanisking
Envoy

Founded: May 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryanisking » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:02 am

Pop to pop rap to gangster rap
Left/Right 6.92 Linertariam/ Authoritarian - 3.40
male republican new jersey america eposicapalian pro gay anti abortion pro 2nd admentment anti 99% movement
Domestic Protest peace, man with a sign, Large group protest riot civil war
International conflict peace, Verbal warning, small conflict, large scale offensive, home defensive, all out invasion, occupation, nuclear crisis

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:03 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Wind in the Willows on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 am

Well, I used to listen to old-school punk, back in the eighties, since that's what my dad brought me up with. Then, I gathered a taste for a lot of different types, other than punk.

Krakosov
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Krakosov » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 am

i used to listen to rap and other mainstreem music in the late 90s and early 2000s when mainstreem music didnt suck as much ass as it does now.

now i listen to classic rock, psycadellic rock, prog rock, prog metal, jazz, blues, russian coir music, orcestral music, and so on and so forth.
feelings are dumb and should be hated!!!
favorite song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPzOJbA ... re=related

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 am

Heavy metal. Punk rock. Anime and Videogame OST. The Beatles.

So it has always been, so it will always be.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 am

Zaras wrote:Oh, and I like Björk now, whereas my stupid 13-year old self hated her. (Damn I was stupid.)

I need to start listening to Bjork.
Wind in the Willows wrote:They're much better than all the shitty pop these days.

I'm so sad they banned all non-pop music after the eighties.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 am

I've always, from a very young age, had a varying taste of music. I loved this song when I was like 6, and still love it to this day (I'm 17 now). But then I look back at some of the things I loved as well, and I go "Why the hell did I like that shit?'. This is where my thoughts that children of the age of 6 don't really deserve believable opinions on music.

So yeah, I listened to things like Radiohead, Eyvind Kang, even Afghani Metal, and so on, at around the age of 13 and beyond. My dad showed me Sigur Ros jokingly as 'music to wake me up', and they became my favorite band as well. Those are all fairly different from each other. I lurked around on YouTube for new music here and there, still pretty much ignoring mostly mainstream stuff, though there was still the mainstream song here and there I liked. (I also liked this song for a while an awful lot, and now I kinda shake my head at liking it so much. I still don't mind it...but my obsession was silly. There was another one that I went through a phase with that I don't even like anymore really).

Now, my brother introduced me to Spotify last summer. I will forever thank him for that. It tends to make searching for music MUCH easier then YouTube, and I gained a lot of music quite quickly. Then, I started posting here on NationStates more, and within just a few months alone, my music variety has expanded even more immensely, and I've already loved a huge variety, from dark, sad, happy, extremely mellow, extremely upbeat, and so on. I have over 200 playlists on Spotify now (they need a better freaking sorting thing already), but some are like "Icelandic Music Playlist", and that sort, that aren't really one specific artist....a lot are, though, that I still need to go through. Like Mogwai, The Album Leaf, The Black Keys, and about 50 to 100 others that I probably still need to go through and decide what I like, if not everything they've done. Since Spotify, my love for music has grown so much more, and i explore new music all the time. And I already loved music, and listened to it every day. I'm so going to go broke when I start making my own money, because I love a vast variety of games, movies, shows, music, AND books.....
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Metanih
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:39 am

So much. For a while I liked alternative rock, then moved to pop crap, then went to some soft rock, then hard rock, punk, etc. Now I will listen to almost anything under a variety of genres, punk, electronica, dubstep, metal, hard rock, etc.
Nationstates Ninja
Second to Reploid Productions...
Everyone should watch this excellent show, and the movie Serenity.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:41 am

When I was a kid I hated all music, as the only thing I'd been exposed to was crappy pop (plus I grew up in the 90s - the dark age of music).

Then I dscovered I quite liked techno, and then I discovered metal and haven't been the same since, with the majority of my music collection being either metal, techno or industrial.

Of course as an adult I've come to appreciate other genres as well, and these days I have a fairly open mind towards music. I like what I like, and if it doesn't actively make me vomit then chances are it's a good song.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 am

North Wiedna wrote:I need to start listening to Bjork.

Here's some to get you started (At least wait for the end that kinda kicked my dad and I in the pants...in an awesome way. The Spotify version is even better). She has quite a large variety. My family and I have been pretty much Bjork fans for quite a long time as well. She is very strange with her videos and whatnot, but they are extremely artistic.
Last edited by Corrian on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 am

Corrian wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I need to start listening to Bjork.

Here's some to get you started (At least wait for the end that kinda kicked my dad and I in the pants...in an awesome way. The Spotify version is even better). She has quite a large variety. My family and I have been pretty much Bjork fans for quite a long time as well. She is very strange with her videos and whatnot, but they are extremely artistic.

I'd say just dive in with Vespertine directly. By a long shot that's the best album she's ever made for me. Debut shows its age a bit too obviously, Post has her worst song, and I love Homogenic (All Is Full of Love <3) but it's ultimately just a notch or two below Vespertine in sheer "OMG MIND BLOWN"ness.
Last edited by Zaras on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction