NATION

PASSWORD

The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on the series finale of Korra?

Bad
7%
Mediocre
14%
Good
6%
Great
33%
Excellent
40%

Total votes : 70

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am

Soxastan wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:They're jealous they can't bend. :p

I just realized two things.

1. "They're jealous they can't bend" sounds kinky as hell.
2. When you think about it, what Korra said makes sense.

By the way, thank you for saving my thread. :hug:
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am

Soxastan wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:They're jealous they can't bend. :p

well that was fast

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:07 am

Genivaria wrote:
Soxastan wrote:

well that was fast

I think it was rather slow for the internet.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Thrinia
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:11 am

Meh......
The Main Villian should be more powerfull.
Last edited by Thrinia on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46322
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
IC Population: 80.000.000
My Ideology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6lzPcOdzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6gLm7vgM0

Soxastan
Powerbroker

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soxastan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 am

Thrinia wrote:Meh......

Well the whole concept is not an unstoppable evil but rather a challenger to the old way. Think of the show as this: Korra is preserving the old ways of the bending world, keeping the class structure. Perhaps benders do have better treatment because of their ability. Now a guy comes along and wants everyone else at the top. He wants to make sure that your social status isn't dependent on heritage or bending status, but on wealth and government position. Amon would be the guy you rally behind. Let's say he tried to be peaceful at one point, but was ignored because the establishment is run by heredity (IE Chied Bei-Fong) or by benders (IE Councilman Tenzin). So he goes with the violent path, to ensure success. He rallies the poorer, non-benders into his movement in order to tip the scales. Once he has their attention, they might listen to him or he might go even further and achieve his goal.

The plot is based more on culture struggle rather than an actual struggle. It makes for more intrigue because both sides have equally valid and invalid reasons for doing what they do.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

I don't even think we've seen what he can do...

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 am

Soxastan wrote:

Well the whole concept is not an unstoppable evil but rather a challenger to the old way. Think of the show as this: Korra is preserving the old ways of the bending world, keeping the class structure. Perhaps benders do have better treatment because of their ability. Now a guy comes along and wants everyone else at the top. He wants to make sure that your social status isn't dependent on heritage or bending status, but on wealth and government position. Amon would be the guy you rally behind. Let's say he tried to be peaceful at one point, but was ignored because the establishment is run by heredity (IE Chied Bei-Fong) or by benders (IE Councilman Tenzin). So he goes with the violent path, to ensure success. He rallies the poorer, non-benders into his movement in order to tip the scales. Once he has their attention, they might listen to him or he might go even further and achieve his goal.

The plot is based more on culture struggle rather than an actual struggle. It makes for more intrigue because both sides have equally valid and invalid reasons for doing what they do.

I think That rules out a good story, the benders can just wipe the "bad guys" out.
The bad guy has to be a REAL threat or it won,t be fun to watch.
Last edited by Thrinia on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
My Ideology:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 am

Thrinia wrote:I think That rules out a good story, the benders can just wipe the "bad guys" out.

In one of the trailers. Korra is fighting one of the Equalists and her chi is blocked in one of her arms. If Ty Lee was so badass and dangerous in the first show, why would you eve think the Equalists won't be dangerous?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 am

Thrinia wrote:
Soxastan wrote:Well the whole concept is not an unstoppable evil but rather a challenger to the old way. Think of the show as this: Korra is preserving the old ways of the bending world, keeping the class structure. Perhaps benders do have better treatment because of their ability. Now a guy comes along and wants everyone else at the top. He wants to make sure that your social status isn't dependent on heritage or bending status, but on wealth and government position. Amon would be the guy you rally behind. Let's say he tried to be peaceful at one point, but was ignored because the establishment is run by heredity (IE Chied Bei-Fong) or by benders (IE Councilman Tenzin). So he goes with the violent path, to ensure success. He rallies the poorer, non-benders into his movement in order to tip the scales. Once he has their attention, they might listen to him or he might go even further and achieve his goal.

I think That rules out a good story, the benders can just wipe the "bad guys" out.

So non-benders can't threaten benders? Ty Lee would like a word with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvx6NiccDVA

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Thrinia wrote:I think That rules out a good story, the benders can just wipe the "bad guys" out.

In one of the trailers. Korra is fighting one of the Equalists and her chi is blocked in one of her arms. If Ty Lee was so badass and dangerous in the first show, why would you eve think the Equalists won't be dangerous?

Because never really hurt anybody, her powers can,t kill.
The Equalists are not even armed for petes sake......
Last edited by Thrinia on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Ideology:

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Your really being stubborn here.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:34 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Are you kidding me? Chi blocking can render you useless, and they can EASILY finish Korra off if they block her chi. Do you know what you're talking about?

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Thrinia wrote:Because never really hurt anybody, her powers can,t kill.

Are you kidding me? Chi blocking can render you useless, and they can EASILY finish Korra off if they block her chi. Do you know what you're talking about?

Kill her with WHAT!?
My Ideology:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Kill her with WHAT!?

We have yet to see an actual full fight involving them. :palm: Also, they do have weapons.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Kill her with WHAT!?

Take your pick. Chi-Strike to the neck, Chi-strike to the heart, take out a knife and gut her. Ect. Use your imagination.

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Thrinia wrote:Kill her with WHAT!?

We have yet to see an actual full fight involving them. :palm: Also, they do have weapons.

Sure, but they should at least have Sharp weapons, like blades or something....
Just to make them look deadly.
My Ideology:

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 am

Genivaria wrote:
Thrinia wrote:Kill her with WHAT!?

Take your pick. Chi-Strike to the neck, Chi-strike to the heart, take out a knife and gut her. Ect. Use your imagination.

To subtle really.
The fire nation burned down entire towns!
What are these guys supposed to do?
My Ideology:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

And what makes you think they don't? The fact is this: attacking a bender with a sharp object will get you fucked up. Chi blocking is the BEST way to fight a bender. If they want to finish her off with a sharp object, I see no reason why they can't possibly have one.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 am

Thrinia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Take your pick. Chi-Strike to the neck, Chi-strike to the heart, take out a knife and gut her. Ect. Use your imagination.

To subtle really.

You don't think they have bombs or something? You're assuming that there is no possible way they have any type of major weapon.

Soxastan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Soxastan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

They wear masks that make them look intimidating.

Also, Chi blocking is probably more useful than METAL blades against METALBENDING police officers in Republic City.

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Thrinia wrote:Sure, but they should at least have Sharp weapons, like blades or something....

And what makes you think they don't? The fact is this: attacking a bender with a sharp object will get you fucked up. Chi blocking is the BEST way to fight a bender. If they want to finish her off with a sharp object, I see no reason why they can't possibly have one.

Sure, but the need to be able to destroy stuff as well.
You know cause some mindless property damage....
My Ideology:

Soxastan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Soxastan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 am

Thrinia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Take your pick. Chi-Strike to the neck, Chi-strike to the heart, take out a knife and gut her. Ect. Use your imagination.

To subtle really.

I dunno, take out elite police forces with their hands, hold council members hostage, bombing attacks, etc.

Have you ever heard of a terrorist? They cause more panic than an invading army sometimes.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Um...why? Seriously wtf?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 am

Thrinia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

You do realize that they want to take out BENDERS correct? They run on support from the people. Why would anyone support them if they destroyed their homes, shops, etc.? I'm beginning to think you haven't read anything about the show.

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 am

Soxastan wrote:
Thrinia wrote:To subtle really.

I dunno, take out elite police forces with their hands, hold council members hostage, bombing attacks, etc.

Have you ever heard of a terrorist? They cause more panic than an invading army sometimes.

Sure, but they cant win the war.
So it would just go on and on........
My Ideology:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction