NATION

PASSWORD

Really Bioware? REALLY?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Where the endings satisfactory?

Yes
13%
Meh
14%
no
14%
NO!
18%
BURN BIOWARE, BURN THEM ALL!
43%

Total votes : 96

United Districts of 1
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Really Bioware? REALLY?

Postby United Districts of 1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:55 pm

This is a rage vent for anyone who has completed ME3 and seen its horribly series crushing endings. Feel free to spew hatred here!

Jesus, fucking christ, This game has no replay potential to me because of biowares idiocy. It gets you so in depth, you love your squad-mates by the end of the series, but they end it with a sloppy ass/depressing as hell/insurmountably stupid ending. My heart is crushed, I loved this game, but now I just can't play it anymore, because I know that no matter how hard I try and how perfect I play it all ends the same with a different colored explosion. I weep for all ME fans out there, are beacon of quality in a world of crap games, has gone out.
Last edited by United Districts of 1 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please refer to me as The Kyoto Trade Union at all times in IC
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!
My name in cat= Aknò:ziˑn rnckxx zeˑx

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah, I was incredibly upset until I heard that the actual ending can only be achieved on a New Game + file. I'm trying to burn through a play-through to find out if I can still get enjoyment out of the series. If that was just a rumor, and those three 'endings' were all Bioware was giving... I'll be damned if I buy another Bioware game ever again.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Yeah, I was incredibly upset until I heard that the actual ending can only be achieved on a New Game + file. I'm trying to burn through a play-through to find out if I can still get enjoyment out of the series. If that was just a rumor, and those three 'endings' were all Bioware was giving... I'll be damned if I buy another Bioware game ever again.

I started screaming at my room-mate when he tried supporting the endings, they, to be blunt... took a shit on the series in one dumb cinematic.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm

United Districts of 1 wrote:
I started screaming at my room-mate when he tried supporting the endings, they, to be blunt... took a shit on the series in one dumb cinematic.

More or less. I was incredibly angry at first, but now I'm hopeful on my new game + file. Of course, if that turns out to be a false rumor, I'm going to be twice as pissed.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
United Districts of 1 wrote:

More or less. I was incredibly angry at first, but now I'm hopeful on my new game + file. Of course, if that turns out to be a false rumor, I'm going to be twice as pissed.

Unless it's Shep and Tali building a house on Rannoch I'm gonna be somewhat disappointed."
Lenehen wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm

United Districts of 1 wrote:Unless it's Shep and Tali building a house on Rannoch I'm gonna be somewhat disappointed."

That might be awkward - Shep is obviously with Garrus. ;)

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am

As I've said in my TG to CM, making Joker have sex with a robot is worth buying the game.

Really. That's just...perfection right there. Whenever I'm depressed, I'll just think of that.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Kaukolastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaukolastan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 am

This game seriously crushed me. Hundreds of hours, two hundred bucks, and six years of my life spent on a series (an amazing series), and then it all goes to piss in the final five minutes. I was actually numb-shocked by how appalling the ending was, made so much worse by the sheer glory of the game up to that point.

I have no hate, I love the game, up until those final five minutes. I just hope Bioware realizes how badly they burned their fans and tries to change up the endings with a patch. I'll forgive them then, and return the Mass Effect series into my top five games of all time. As it is, I have no desire to play it again, ever, in any form. Forget Mass Effect 4, or any MMO, I don't even want to play 1 & 2, which I already own (with all DLC).

Anywho, let's stay constructive here. They'll never listen to bitching, but they might listen to fans honestly criticizing. I found this facebook group that sums this up perfectly. If you agree, join it.

http://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEn ... assEffect3

-K-stan
The Kessler Initiative [Intergovernmental Organization; Open for Participation]
N. Enartio, Justifying his Nuclear Powered, "EMP Laser" Shooting, Nazi Flying Saucer wrote:It isn't bad, i used science.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:31 am

http://www.shacknews.com/article/72803/ ... on-to-the#
No, you just need to play the MP dude. It's a dick move to force you to play multiplayer.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:38 am

Kaukolastan wrote:This game seriously crushed me. Hundreds of hours, two hundred bucks, and six years of my life spent on a series (an amazing series), and then it all goes to piss in the final five minutes. I was actually numb-shocked by how appalling the ending was, made so much worse by the sheer glory of the game up to that point.

I have no hate, I love the game, up until those final five minutes. I just hope Bioware realizes how badly they burned their fans and tries to change up the endings with a patch. I'll forgive them then, and return the Mass Effect series into my top five games of all time. As it is, I have no desire to play it again, ever, in any form. Forget Mass Effect 4, or any MMO, I don't even want to play 1 & 2, which I already own (with all DLC).

Anywho, let's stay constructive here. They'll never listen to bitching, but they might listen to fans honestly criticizing. I found this facebook group that sums this up perfectly. If you agree, join it.

http://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEn ... assEffect3

-K-stan

I was just venting, and yea I can't play any of them anymore because I know all my efforts are pointless.
Lenehen wrote:

Zersium
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:56 am

AETEN II wrote:http://www.shacknews.com/article/72803/bioware-clarifies-mass-effect-3-multiplayer-in-relation-to-the#
No, you just need to play the MP dude. It's a dick move to force you to play multiplayer.

you don't NEED to play multi, (Bioware stated there's enough WA to beat the game till 5000+) but it will help since Readiness is always 50% on SP.

Kaukolastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaukolastan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 am

AETEN II wrote:http://www.shacknews.com/article/72803/bioware-clarifies-mass-effect-3-multiplayer-in-relation-to-the#

Even if you do, the ending is just a palette-swap. IE: Blue explosion, green explosion, or red explosion. The "Super Secret Ending" adds a thirty second clip of someone in N7 armor waking up. It does not fix the problems.
The Kessler Initiative [Intergovernmental Organization; Open for Participation]
N. Enartio, Justifying his Nuclear Powered, "EMP Laser" Shooting, Nazi Flying Saucer wrote:It isn't bad, i used science.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am

Kaukolastan wrote:

Even if you do, the ending is just a palette-swap. IE: Blue explosion, green explosion, or red explosion. The "Super Secret Ending" adds a thirty second clip of someone in N7 armor waking up. It does not fix the problems.

The endings are a bit crap, although I did like the mass fleet arriving. lol, millions of ships...

Plus...I've played a lot of the SP Missions...

Nope. It's impossible to get 5000+.

How else do you get it? Theres not that many Side quests in ME3 to gain over 5000+ or so effective Military strength.
Last edited by Zersium on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 am

I thought it was all right.

Besides, I doubt it was Bioware's choice. The ending was probably altered by EA.
Last edited by Conoga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Conoga wrote:I thought it was all right.

Besides, I doubt it was Bioware's choice. The ending was probably altered by EA.

EA has a habit of ruining a lot of good games.

Yes EA. Some of us do remember Westwood. However much you like to kick their corpse in the ground.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Kaukolastan wrote:

No, the super-secret ending has them survive and land on some planet.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Hmm. Just curious since I never got answered anywhere else...

It's taken a long while to romance Liara...

If you have not imported a save from ME1->ME2/ME2->ME3, and just gone with a new Shepard and a default ME3 game, can you romance Liara?

Or is she like Tali where the romance needs to be continued on from a past game?
Last edited by Zersium on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:55 pm

None of my choices mattered. Mass relays destroyed, vast majority of the galaxy is dead. The Normandy got marooned.

I could've plowed through without doing all those sidequests this whole time, and it wouldn't have made a difference. I've wasted several hundred hours of my life with this trilogy.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:10 am

Conoga wrote:I thought it was all right.

I keep glancing over the game's title to make sure I wasn't playing Deus Ex.

It was pretty bad. I thought the ending was something about how existentialist life might be. Something philosophical. But it was terrible.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:11 am

Hittanryan wrote:None of my choices mattered. Mass relays destroyed, vast majority of the galaxy is dead. The Normandy got marooned.

I could've plowed through without doing all those sidequests this whole time, and it wouldn't have made a difference. I've wasted several hundred hours of my life with this trilogy.

Now now, I'm still a bit...optimistic, even if it drained all my life. Maybe they will make DLC, similar to what they did for Fallout 3, to fix the ending.

As a heads up, this post from the Bioware forums makes a lot of sense:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Ef ... 576-1.html

So, whilst the "it's just a dream!" kind of ending is cliched, it would actually make perfect sense.

Tl;dr, Shepard got affected a bit by indoctrination and now they are hallucinating, thinking they have beaten the reapers. Makes sense.
Last edited by Norstal on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 am

Even if that ending isn't real, it's still massively unsatisfying and left me dead inside. Besides, DLC is bullshit. I already paid $60 for the game, why should I have to pay more for content that should've shipped with the full release? Bioware's going to have to pull one hell of a "Broken Steel" to fix this ending.

I wanted a showdown with Harbinger. A real one. He was the villain from ME2, and according to the Codex the oldest, largest, and one of the most powerful Reapers. Instead all we get for a "final boss" is a horde of various Husks, the composition of which is duplicated at least once (Marauders and Banshees), and Harbinger just blasts you and takes off. Hell, I'd have settled with a fight with some leftover Collectors (imagine the player's reaction when they hear those dreaded three words: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL).

Everything up to the last 5 minutes had been nothing short of outstanding. It's like when Bioware was working on the ending, they brought in some pretentious, artsy prick who'd never played a Mass Effect game before and decided to go all "True Art is Angsty" on us. He loads it down with "God-child works in mysterious ways" bullshit and destroys galactic civilization as we know it for shits and giggles. Then he maroons the Normandy. All the characters we've come to care about for so long, having helped them grow as people, get put on a fucking bus. Oh, and he's condemned Garrus and Tali (or everyone but them) to starvation if the food on that planet is levo-amino acid (or vice versa). Let's not forget you need eezo for FTL, which leaves those fleets stranded in Sol. So much for the Homeworld, eh quarians?

The worst part is that the rest of the game had been building up to so much more (at least in my Paragon playthrough). Krogan, salarians, turians, quarians, geth all at peace, united in opposition to the Reapers. The military strength basically doesn't affect the end battle at all. The bad ending should come if your allies aren't strong enough, then they can't get the Crucible (which should really just be a Reaper-killer) in position and the Reapers win. To me the endings where the war is won were being built up to two main choices, each with tradeoffs:

(Paragon) "Destroy the Reapers." This leaves the galaxy with centuries of rebuilding ahead of it, but tying in with the Paragon's essential philosophy of hope, the series would end on the notion that nothing is impossible if we put our minds to it. There is also no guarantee that the chaotic, disparate races wouldn't eventually fall back to their old ways (resurgent krogan, quarian-geth relations). However, paraphrasing Shepard himself: "People can be assholes sometimes, but they're trying. They deserve that chance." Shepard himself would dedicate the rest of his life to the reconstruction effort, while enjoying the newfound peace in the company of his band of brothers, the Normandy crew.

(Renegade) "Control the Reapers." With humanity in full control of the Reapers and their advanced technology, the shattered galaxy recovers quickly and surpasses the civilization that came before it. Instead of the bickering factions, you have a united, orderly, peaceful civilization. However, in keeping with Renegade Shepard's pro-human, Cerbeus-sympathetic leanings, humanity is on the top of the pecking order, dominating the 'lesser' races. Whether we go full-on Galactic Empire, or even Imperium of Man, is up to the player's imagination, but one thing is certain: Shepard has crushed everything in his path to become the single most powerful man in galactic history.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Hittanryan wrote:Even if that ending isn't real, it's still massively unsatisfying and left me dead inside. Besides, DLC is bullshit. I already paid $60 for the game, why should I have to pay more for content that should've shipped with the full release? Bioware's going to have to pull one hell of a "Broken Steel" to fix this ending.

I wanted a showdown with Harbinger. A real one. He was the villain from ME2, and according to the Codex the oldest, largest, and one of the most powerful Reapers. Instead all we get for a "final boss" is a horde of various Husks, the composition of which is duplicated at least once (Marauders and Banshees), and Harbinger just blasts you and takes off. Hell, I'd have settled with a fight with some leftover Collectors (imagine the player's reaction when they hear those dreaded three words: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL).

Everything up to the last 5 minutes had been nothing short of outstanding. It's like when Bioware was working on the ending, they brought in some pretentious, artsy prick who'd never played a Mass Effect game before and decided to go all "True Art is Angsty" on us. He loads it down with "God-child works in mysterious ways" bullshit and destroys galactic civilization as we know it for shits and giggles. Then he maroons the Normandy. All the characters we've come to care about for so long, having helped them grow as people, get put on a fucking bus. Oh, and he's condemned Garrus and Tali (or everyone but them) to starvation if the food on that planet is levo-amino acid (or vice versa). Let's not forget you need eezo for FTL, which leaves those fleets stranded in Sol. So much for the Homeworld, eh quarians?

The worst part is that the rest of the game had been building up to so much more (at least in my Paragon playthrough). Krogan, salarians, turians, quarians, geth all at peace, united in opposition to the Reapers. The military strength basically doesn't affect the end battle at all. The bad ending should come if your allies aren't strong enough, then they can't get the Crucible (which should really just be a Reaper-killer) in position and the Reapers win. To me the endings where the war is won were being built up to two main choices, each with tradeoffs:

(Paragon) "Destroy the Reapers." This leaves the galaxy with centuries of rebuilding ahead of it, but tying in with the Paragon's essential philosophy of hope, the series would end on the notion that nothing is impossible if we put our minds to it. There is also no guarantee that the chaotic, disparate races wouldn't eventually fall back to their old ways (resurgent krogan, quarian-geth relations). However, paraphrasing Shepard himself: "People can be assholes sometimes, but they're trying. They deserve that chance." Shepard himself would dedicate the rest of his life to the reconstruction effort, while enjoying the newfound peace in the company of his band of brothers, the Normandy crew.

(Renegade) "Control the Reapers." With humanity in full control of the Reapers and their advanced technology, the shattered galaxy recovers quickly and surpasses the civilization that came before it. Instead of the bickering factions, you have a united, orderly, peaceful civilization. However, in keeping with Renegade Shepard's pro-human, Cerbeus-sympathetic leanings, humanity is on the top of the pecking order, dominating the 'lesser' races. Whether we go full-on Galactic Empire, or even Imperium of Man, is up to the player's imagination, but one thing is certain: Shepard has crushed everything in his path to become the single most powerful man in galactic history.

I don't mind paying for the DLC actually, but I do hope they gave it out for free. I also remember that the reason BioWare made the Hammerhead DLC free in ME2 is to test out what kind of ground vehicle would be best for ME3. So, I know there's a low low low chance of this every happening, but, what if the same thing happens with ME3? I did saw Mako vehicles in London...such a (free) DLC involving ground vehicles to retcon the ending would not be a bad idea at all.

I know it's really far out there, but eh, one can hope. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like I said, if they don't make a DLC or the DLC is mediocre, you can just mod the game and get the ending you want.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Norstal wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Even if that ending isn't real, it's still massively unsatisfying and left me dead inside. Besides, DLC is bullshit. I already paid $60 for the game, why should I have to pay more for content that should've shipped with the full release? Bioware's going to have to pull one hell of a "Broken Steel" to fix this ending.

I don't mind paying for the DLC actually, but I do hope they gave it out for free. I also remember that the reason BioWare made the Hammerhead DLC free in ME2 is to test out what kind of ground vehicle would be best for ME3. So, I know there's a low low low chance of this every happening, but, what if the same thing happens with ME3? I did saw Mako vehicles in London...such a (free) DLC involving ground vehicles to retcon the ending would not be a bad idea at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like I said, if they don't make a DLC or the DLC is mediocre, you can just mod the game and get the ending you want.

We shouldn't have to pay, I mean, we paid for ME3, got a shitty ending, THEN had to pay for Day-One-DLC...

Sometimes, I wonder when Bioware stopped being cool.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Zersium wrote:
Norstal wrote:I don't mind paying for the DLC actually, but I do hope they gave it out for free. I also remember that the reason BioWare made the Hammerhead DLC free in ME2 is to test out what kind of ground vehicle would be best for ME3. So, I know there's a low low low chance of this every happening, but, what if the same thing happens with ME3? I did saw Mako vehicles in London...such a (free) DLC involving ground vehicles to retcon the ending would not be a bad idea at all.

We shouldn't have to pay, I mean, we paid for ME3, got a shitty ending, THEN had to pay for Day-One-DLC...

Sometimes, I wonder when Bioware stopped being cool.

Dragon Age 2? I hear that game ended on a cliffhanger sequel hook with the main character having not accomplished much.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Hittanryan wrote:Dragon Age 2? I hear that game ended on a cliffhanger sequel hook with the main character having not accomplished much.

Dragon Age II's ending wasn't completely terrible. It wasn't really set out to be a world-changing story, it was supposed to be a personal story. The effects on the rest of the world were secondary. It wasn't as good as it could have been, but it wasn't TERRIBLE.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction