NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Genre Music Discussion

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue May 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Oterro wrote:I love From Mars to Sirius probably because it's so melodic while remaining aggressive - is it worth checking out Gojira's other releases?

Yeah, all of their albums are great. I only own The Link (highly recommend) but every album is melodic yet aggressive (a fantastic combo). FMTS might be strongest in many's eyes, but they are all good.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue May 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Anyone like Edge of Sanity?

I just listened to their concept album Crimson and it was truly mesmerizing
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Tue May 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Cosumar wrote:Anyone like Edge of Sanity?

I just listened to their concept album Crimson and it was truly mesmerizing

When I have forty minutes I will.

Until then...
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed May 09, 2012 10:20 am

Hageshisa wrote:
Oterro wrote:I love From Mars to Sirius probably because it's so melodic while remaining aggressive - is it worth checking out Gojira's other releases?

Yes. I have Gojira's entire discography, they are fantastic.

Cosumar wrote:

Yeah, all of their albums are great. I only own The Link (highly recommend) but every album is melodic yet aggressive (a fantastic combo). FMTS might be strongest in many's eyes, but they are all good.

Okay, well I'll go for The Link and if I enjoy it I'll probably wind up getting their discography anyway - thanks!

Going back to listen to some Motorhead. First album's a bit weak but I love Overkill.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 am

Oterro wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:May be. There still are those who manages to make proper metal without screaming. Such as this song. In my opinion, probably one of the best metal songs ever made.

Not a fan of folk metal.

Yeah I'm not saying metal needs dirty vocals but for a lot of the more abrasive styles, like death metal, it's sort of necessary.

But honestly I think most death metal vocals are disgusting. Especially ''brutal'' death metal what the fuck man.

I find Brutal Death metal to be good but only a few bands can really pull it off and not look like a bunch of asshats :lol:
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Hageshisa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hageshisa » Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 am

Orcoa wrote:
Oterro wrote:Not a fan of folk metal.

Yeah I'm not saying metal needs dirty vocals but for a lot of the more abrasive styles, like death metal, it's sort of necessary.

But honestly I think most death metal vocals are disgusting. Especially ''brutal'' death metal what the fuck man.

I find Brutal Death metal to be good but only a few bands can really pull it off and not look like a bunch of asshats :lol:

Bloodbath, Nile (Techdeath), some Deicide, Cattle Decapitation (Grindcore), and Abnormality are some fantastic examples.
Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 am

Orcoa wrote:I find Brutal Death metal to be good but only a few bands can really pull it off and not look like a bunch of asshats :lol:

I don't know I just find cookie monster vocals to be kind of repulsive. Probably my favourite ''dirty'' metal vocalists are Quorthorn, Mirai Kawashima and Joe Duplantier. Not squeaky high shrieks ala traditional second wave BM and not guttural raawwwaaawww stuff like traditional DM.
Hageshisa wrote:Bloodbath, Nile (Techdeath), some Deicide, Cattle Decapitation (Grindcore), and Abnormality are some fantastic examples.

I was so bummed out when I found out I didn't like Nile as I'm a complete sucker for Middle Eastern influenced stuff.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 am

Oterro wrote:
Orcoa wrote:I find Brutal Death metal to be good but only a few bands can really pull it off and not look like a bunch of asshats :lol:

I don't know I just find cookie monster vocals to be kind of repulsive. Probably my favourite ''dirty'' metal vocalists are Quorthorn, Mirai Kawashima and Joe Duplantier. Not squeaky high shrieks ala traditional second wave BM and not guttural raawwwaaawww stuff like traditional DM.
Hageshisa wrote:Bloodbath, Nile (Techdeath), some Deicide, Cattle Decapitation (Grindcore), and Abnormality are some fantastic examples.

I was so bummed out when I found out I didn't like Nile as I'm a complete sucker for Middle Eastern influenced stuff.

Well I think that is the point of the cookie monster vocals, it adds to the repulsive nature of the subject matter that Death Metal deals with some times. Plus I have done both death metal vocals and more traditional heavy rock vocals, the hardest for me was to really do a solid death metal growl which I did after a lot of sore throats :lol:

"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Hageshisa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hageshisa » Wed May 09, 2012 10:56 am

Orcoa wrote:
Oterro wrote:I don't know I just find cookie monster vocals to be kind of repulsive. Probably my favourite ''dirty'' metal vocalists are Quorthorn, Mirai Kawashima and Joe Duplantier. Not squeaky high shrieks ala traditional second wave BM and not guttural raawwwaaawww stuff like traditional DM.

Well I think that is the point of the cookie monster vocals, it adds to the repulsive nature of the subject matter that Death Metal deals with some times. Plus I have done both death metal vocals and more traditional heavy rock vocals, the hardest for me was to really do a solid death metal growl which I did after a lot of sore throats :lol:

I've always performed unclean vocals, aside from some backing clean vocals. My voice is just more suited to mid range screams and growls.

Political Compass

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am

Hageshisa wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Well I think that is the point of the cookie monster vocals, it adds to the repulsive nature of the subject matter that Death Metal deals with some times. Plus I have done both death metal vocals and more traditional heavy rock vocals, the hardest for me was to really do a solid death metal growl which I did after a lot of sore throats :lol:

I've always performed unclean vocals, aside from some backing clean vocals. My voice is just more suited to mid range screams and growls.

See I grew up singing the more Traditional vocal styles because of me being with musicals and stuff like that, so I had to train my throat really hard to get the death growl down. To each their own I guess :lol2:

Hageshisa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hageshisa » Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Hageshisa wrote:I've always performed unclean vocals, aside from some backing clean vocals. My voice is just more suited to mid range screams and growls.

See I grew up singing the more Traditional vocal styles because of me being with musicals and stuff like that, so I had to train my throat really hard to get the death growl down. To each their own I guess :lol2:

I suppose. I grew up listening to more Rock than Metal until the past two or three years (though I always enjoyed Metal to some degree), and I've always tried to do clean vocals, conceiting myself that I was good at it. I eventually met a few unclean vocal fanatics who told me that my screams were extremely good, so I just sorta decided that I'd go with it. I'm not very good with traditional death growling, I'm more the mid-high range screamer type, but I cacn sort of growl. I have trouble doing very low growls and very high Black Metal shrieks, and though I can pull off both, it's never really as consistent as my screaming.

Political Compass

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Spotify got some new rights deals this week, and they now have Candlemass's full discography. Hooray!
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Hageshisa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hageshisa » Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Cosumar wrote:Spotify got some new rights deals this week, and they now have Candlemass's full discography. Hooray!

Gotta love good ol' fashioned Doom.

Political Compass

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Rammestein \m/
Formerly Wellboneland, add 1982 posts.
I use the stats of my old nation. I have 2 billion people and 4 million soldiers.
Tulija wrote:Immature; good comic relief.
Our Tech Level is MT, and call us Wellboneland.
Our military

I am not a likable person at first, but it always comes back to this.
My Little Nutella
Bacon Tacos with Alekcandor!
99% of our people ICly act like this.
WE ARE NOT PONYISTS OMG IF YOU CALL US PONIES ONE MORE TIME...

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Former Wellboneland wrote:Rammestein \m/

Let me take off my hat so I can vomit in it.

Christian Mistress are a good trad metal band with female vocals - Fenriz adores them, guys.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am

avant-garde metal and mathcore are the two new genre's I'm into right now but I have also been listening to Nile and some old school cannibal corpse
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri May 11, 2012 8:31 am

Oterro wrote:

Christian Mistress are a good trad metal band with female vocals - Fenriz adores them, guys.

I saw them live opening for another band.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Sedikal wrote: Nile

Gotta love 'em.
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Zirconim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Fri May 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Recently I've been listening to Progressive Metal, Groove Metal, Progressive Rock, Technical Death Metal, and Sludge Metal.
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Zirconim wrote:Recently I've been listening to Progressive Metal, Groove Metal, Progressive Rock, Technical Death Metal, and Sludge Metal.

What sludge and prog?

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Oterro wrote:

I knew this would make you vomit.

Rammenstein is not good, it is ok though. A bit weird too.
Formerly Wellboneland, add 1982 posts.
I use the stats of my old nation. I have 2 billion people and 4 million soldiers.
Tulija wrote:Immature; good comic relief.
Our Tech Level is MT, and call us Wellboneland.
Our military

I am not a likable person at first, but it always comes back to this.
My Little Nutella
Bacon Tacos with Alekcandor!
99% of our people ICly act like this.
WE ARE NOT PONYISTS OMG IF YOU CALL US PONIES ONE MORE TIME...

Zirconim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Oterro wrote:
Zirconim wrote:Recently I've been listening to Progressive Metal, Groove Metal, Progressive Rock, Technical Death Metal, and Sludge Metal.

What sludge and prog?

Prog: Gojira, the Ocean, Storm Corrosion (Prog Rock), Opeth, Nile (Techdeath)

Sludge: The Ocean, Mastodon, High on Fire, Baroness
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius

Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri May 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Former Wellboneland wrote:
Oterro wrote:Let me take off my hat so I can vomit in it.

I knew this would make you vomit.

Rammenstein is not good, it is ok though. A bit weird too.

How are they weird?

Here this and then tell me Rammstein are weird.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Zirconim wrote:
Oterro wrote:What sludge and prog?

Prog: Gojira, the Ocean, Storm Corrosion (Prog Rock), Opeth, Nile (Techdeath)

Sludge: The Ocean, Mastodon, High on Fire, Baroness

Zirc is obsessed with The Ocean
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Cosumar on Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

PreviousNext