NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:01 pm

If anyone actually thinks that Windows voice control is worth anything, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Bezombia wrote:If anyone actually thinks that Windows voice control is worth anything, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

I have been trying to use voice control for years, and the defect with all of them is that they assume you have no accent and you can speak words like someone who has had 8 years of Speech under their belt and can intonate flawlessly.

That doesn't happen in the real world. I have a noticeable accent so voice control is shit, it never gets anything right.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Hindenburgia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindenburgia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Voice control has always been kind of amusing for me. Why should you spend three seconds doing something you could do in half a second ("XBox on!" versus *press button*)? Especially when there's no guarantee that it will be interpreted correctly ("OK Google, take picture!" becoming "OK Google, open browser"). Also, good luck with the whole "public place" thing - if there's ten people in a room, then you'd better make sure you're listening to the right one, particularly if there's more than one person with the same gadget, and they're also trying to control theirs...
Aravea wrote:NSG is the Ivy League version of /b/.

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashihara no Nakatsukuni » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Czechanada wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/14/7389563/windows-10-xbox-app-cortana-features

Some news for Beno.

Absolutely disgusting.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Bezombia wrote:If anyone actually thinks that Windows voice control is worth anything, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

I have been trying to use voice control for years, and the defect with all of them is that they assume you have no accent and you can speak words like someone who has had 8 years of Speech under their belt and can intonate flawlessly.

That doesn't happen in the real world. I have a noticeable accent so voice control is shit, it never gets anything right.

Actually, I've only once had a good experience with voice recognition, and that was with Google's search app on my phone. It seems like it's a bit better than the others at actually adapting to imperfect voices (like my own, which is surely riddled with remnants of speech impediments and such).

Hindenburgia wrote:Voice control has always been kind of amusing for me. Why should you spend three seconds doing something you could do in half a second ("XBox on!" versus *press button*)? Especially when there's no guarantee that it will be interpreted correctly ("OK Google, take picture!" becoming "OK Google, open browser"). Also, good luck with the whole "public place" thing - if there's ten people in a room, then you'd better make sure you're listening to the right one, particularly if there's more than one person with the same gadget, and they're also trying to control theirs...

Voice input does have a very valid use-case among those with physical disabilities; in such cases, being able to talk to one's computer is much easier than trying to accomplish the same tasks with typing or poking or whatever. Someday I'd love to see a Kinect-like system that translated sign language into computer input; that would be badass. There's already that LeapMotion thing that does similar recognition of hand gestures, but the implementation seems to be more of a gimmick than anything, and it's pretty range-limited.

It's also very popular among doctors for dictating their notes; as a former IT employee at even a small hospital, I can attest that doctors tend to be very bad at using computers (including - and especially - the typing aspect of using computers), but very able and willing to use dictation systems (we used DragonSpeak or whatever it's called) rather effectively, especially when they integrate well with an EMR/EHR.

Plus, you have driving/biking/etc., where you can't use your hands to control the device and you can't be staring at the device's screen in order to control it. Being able to say "OK Google, get me directions to Little Caesar's" and having it automatically bring up turn-by-turn directions to cheap delicious pizza is pretty damn handy.

And then there's, of course, the cool factor of being able to yell "OK GOOGLE START PANDORA" across the house and have music playing in your living room, thus impressing your dinner guests.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:31 pm

YellowApple wrote:

Actually, I've only once had a good experience with voice recognition, and that was with Google's search app on my phone. It seems like it's a bit better than the others at actually adapting to imperfect voices (like my own, which is surely riddled with remnants of speech impediments and such).

First time I tried using voice control to text someone it ended up looking like this:

"O K exclamation point send delete delete select all backspace send"

I was just trying to say "okay".
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Bezombia wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

First time I tried using voice control to text someone it ended up looking like this:

Maybe you have one of those speech impediments that causes you to blurt out ASCII control sequences whenever you speak? I know that happens to me all the time ;)

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:38 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Maybe you have one of those speech impediments that causes you to blurt out ASCII control sequences whenever you speak? I know that happens to me all the time ;)

I was under the assumption that a voice control system would at least have the basic functionality of, you know, control.

I was mistaken.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Bezombia wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

I was under the assumption that a voice control system would at least have the basic functionality of, you know, control.

I was mistaken.

Nah, it's a voice command system; you need to be speaking into an Apple keyboard for it to work correctly.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:47 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

I was mistaken.

Nah, it's a voice command system; you need to be speaking into an Apple keyboard for it to work correctly.

Dammit. Is there going to be a voice compose system so I have an excuse to buy a unix keyboard?

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Bezombia wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Dammit. Is there going to be a voice compose system so I have an excuse to buy a unix keyboard?

You mean a "super-metahyper voice system"? You can already get that in Emacs with a simple 'M-x voice-command'

Hindenburgia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindenburgia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:10 am

YellowApple wrote:

Hindenburgia wrote:Voice control has always been kind of amusing for me. Why should you spend three seconds doing something you could do in half a second ("XBox on!" versus *press button*)? Especially when there's no guarantee that it will be interpreted correctly ("OK Google, take picture!" becoming "OK Google, open browser"). Also, good luck with the whole "public place" thing - if there's ten people in a room, then you'd better make sure you're listening to the right one, particularly if there's more than one person with the same gadget, and they're also trying to control theirs...

Voice input does have a very valid use-case among those with physical disabilities; in such cases, being able to talk to one's computer is much easier than trying to accomplish the same tasks with typing or poking or whatever. Someday I'd love to see a Kinect-like system that translated sign language into computer input; that would be badass. There's already that LeapMotion thing that does similar recognition of hand gestures, but the implementation seems to be more of a gimmick than anything, and it's pretty range-limited.

It's also very popular among doctors for dictating their notes; as a former IT employee at even a small hospital, I can attest that doctors tend to be very bad at using computers (including - and especially - the typing aspect of using computers), but very able and willing to use dictation systems (we used DragonSpeak or whatever it's called) rather effectively, especially when they integrate well with an EMR/EHR.

Plus, you have driving/biking/etc., where you can't use your hands to control the device and you can't be staring at the device's screen in order to control it. Being able to say "OK Google, get me directions to Little Caesar's" and having it automatically bring up turn-by-turn directions to cheap delicious pizza is pretty damn handy.

And then there's, of course, the cool factor of being able to yell "OK GOOGLE START PANDORA" across the house and have music playing in your living room, thus impressing your dinner guests.

Oh, certainly - voice control has a number of very valid use-cases. I'm more talking about the attempts recently to make it more "mainstream" by using it where it doesn't belong - things like Microsoft's requiring of Kinect for their new XBox (since rescinded, thankfully), for instance. Even your last example is something I would hurry to disable - voice control systems tend to attempt to (and to a degree, have to attempt to) interpret the background babble present in a crowded room - for it to be sensitive enough to catch your voice across the room, even raised, it would also be sensitive enough to catch someone talking particularly loudly, or even just the combined voices of a group of people. And when it does that, suddenly you'll find that the station changed/the thing shut off/whatever, because how would it be able to tell the difference between an actually intended command and an unintended one?

I'm certainly not saying that it doesn't have valid use-cases, such as for the disabled or those with jobs that keep their hands occupied - I've also heard of DragonSpeak and from what I've heard it works reasonably well, though for a rather significant cost - but the current fad for voice control is a little bit ridiculous. Though at least we seem to be done with that mouse-gesture fad that flared up a while back - that was even worse.
Aravea wrote:NSG is the Ivy League version of /b/.

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashihara no Nakatsukuni » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Think I might get a the Kindle Fire HD 7" since it is pretty damn cheap, then just install CyanogenMod on it.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:02 am

So, how do you guys calculate need PSU size in a build?
"... Ultramarines never have to deal with shit like that. Then again, they are the Ultramarines. Rebels don't surrender out of fear of them, they surrender because the last they want is another lecture about their prowess in battle."- AETEN II
Slorch wrote:click the 'wrote' button.
Nua Corda wrote:click the 'wrote' button.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:08 am

Slorch wrote:So, how do you guys calculate need PSU size in a build?

Usually, in my experience, the GPU will need more PSU power than any other component.
I try to go a couple hundred Watts over the GPUs need because sometimes PSUs will be sneaky about how much they actually produce.
If it's not a budget build, I'd say go for a 1,000W, 1,200W, or 1,500W PSU so you'll never need to upgrade it.

Never cut it close with PSU power and GPU consumption.

My PSU is right at the line with my PSU and my GPU has almost destroyed my PC after it crashed while playing Outerra, KSP, and SpaceEngine.
That or my GPU simply doesn't like games that render entire planets or galaxies or the universe to-scale.
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 am

Slorch wrote:So, how do you guys calculate need PSU size in a build?

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni wrote:Think I might get a the Kindle Fire HD 7" since it is pretty damn cheap, then just install CyanogenMod on it.

Just get a Oneplus One, which already has CyanogenMod on it.

Lechites
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Ashihara no Nakatsukuni wrote:Think I might get a the Kindle Fire HD 7" since it is pretty damn cheap, then just install CyanogenMod on it.

Yes let's get a phone instead of a tablet for three times the price. wat

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Lechites wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Yes let's get a phone instead of a tablet for three times the price. wat

Get four and duct tape them together.

Lechites
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Lechites wrote:Yes let's get a phone instead of a tablet for three times the price. wat

Get four and duct tape them together.

That sounds absolutely horrendous.

Lechites
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Bezombia wrote:

Actually I didn't even know this phone exists, seems really cheap for the specs in it. Now I'm curious about it.. Damn you Bez.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Lechites wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Actually I didn't even know this phone exists, seems really cheap for the specs in it. Now I'm curious about it.. Damn you Bez.

You're welcome. It's the most powerful phone on the market right now, and you can get it with a 64GB hard drive for only $350.

It also comes with Cyanogenmod preinstalled and I think some models come (or came?) pre-rooted.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Lechites wrote:Actually I didn't even know this phone exists, seems really cheap for the specs in it. Now I'm curious about it.. Damn you Bez.

You're welcome. It's the most powerful phone on the market right now, and you can get it with a 64GB hard drive for only $350.

It also comes with Cyanogenmod preinstalled and I think some models come (or came?) pre-rooted.

Myself, I wonder what Lenovo will do with Motorola. Plenty of potential there.

Lechites
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Agritum wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Myself, I wonder what Lenovo will do with Motorola. Plenty of potential there.

Yeah right now I have the Moto G because it was so cheap. Yet for $150 more I get quadruple the specs... Shit, I need to save up for this.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:57 pm

I have a Kyocera Hydro Vibe because it was more powerful than the Galaxy S3 but I got it for $30. Waterproof, too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction