NATION

PASSWORD

Many Bothans Died To Bring You THE STAR WARS THREAD

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which is your favorite sentient Star Wars race?

Wookies. Because fur is hot... And murder.
8%
Twi'leks. Because slugs are hot.
27%
Tusken Raiders. A little rape fantasy never hurt anybody.
7%
Jawas. Lots of little hands touching me is hot.
4%
Hutts. BIG. NASTY. RUDE. SWEATY. HOT.
3%
Ewoks. Because creepy ugly teddy bears are hot.
6%
Bothans. I hear they die a lot. And that's hot.
5%
Trandoshans. Because lizards are hot.
2%
Rodians. Because... I don't know anymore. Reptilian ant-eaters are hot?
3%
Other. Because my God there's a lot of alien species in Star Wars. And they're ALL hot.
35%

Total votes : 491

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Bearon wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:But considering that the old Jedi recruited by abducting babies I really don't see how not reproducing is suicide. You don't need Jedi parents to be a Jedi.

Abducting? They needed permission.

In the novel Dark Lord, as I recall, one parent's approval was enough (their was a case of a father wanting to give the child to the Jedi and the mother not approving).

Maybe that planet or the Republic as a whole had really sexist laws about parental rights.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:26 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Glorious KASSRD wrote:Agreed. The Jedi by the time of the Clone Wars were corrupted and delusional, which was a major part of why Two Sith could eliminate them so easily.

By the way, has anyone seen the Korean trailer for The Force Awakens? Most of its just clips from the English version, but there's an awesome shot of The First Orders armies at the beginning.

What happened with the emotions thing is that the Jedi, ironically, succumbed to fear of the consequences of attachments. Not enough for them to all fall to the Dark Side, but enough for them to behave in an oppressive, irrational way about it.

So on top of being pious hypocrites the Jedi were also woman beaters?
Unreachable.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
What happened with the emotions thing is that the Jedi, ironically, succumbed to fear of the consequences of attachments. Not enough for them to all fall to the Dark Side, but enough for them to behave in an oppressive, irrational way about it.

I wouldn't say that. To the best of my knowledge, the only Jedi who engaged in violence against a woman (except in the context of fighting an enemy in combat) is Anakin post-fall to the Dark Side, when he choked Padme. And at that point, he wasn't really a Jedi any more. He was a Sith.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:01 am

Doubtful. There's no evidence in the new canon or old expanded universe that the Jedi beat defenseless women. It'd be kinda hard to get away with since so many women are Jedi trained in combat and self-defense. Plus deadly laser-swords.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:35 am

Guys. Tongue in cheek.
Unreachable.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:36 am

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Guys. Tongue in cheek.

:blink: Dammit.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Aurebesh script >>> actual English alphabet
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Prusslandia wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Oh, a Sith of course. Who would ever want to be a Jedi? If you're a human it's essentially a slow suicide.

Indeed.

Plus, the Sith code makes waaay more sense than the Jedi code.

Qotsisajak was one of the more harsher and more naturally selective codes you'll hear in your life. It makes more sense, that is, if your doing lesser on karma and more or darkness.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Hello; I was on this thread a while ago (one of the first contributors) and after continuously seeing this at the top of my "View Your Posts" page, I've decided to return. I'm a huge SW fan and I'm eager to discuss it here. :)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Some new footage from The Force Awakens released:

http://www.wired.com/2015/0/star-wars-s ... al_twitter

Its not long, but it does include some new material, including some stuff that might be considered at least mild spoilers (particularly regarding who's going to be fighting who with a lightsaber).
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zatak
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zatak » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Some new footage from The Force Awakens released:

Its not long, but it does include some new material, including some stuff that might be considered at least mild spoilers (particularly regarding who's going to be fighting who with a lightsaber).

Really excited to see the movie actually! It is starting to actually look like a come together movie with a decent story and characters. Then again I said the same about the phantom menace....
want a embassy in zatak just click the link below
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276378

Contact the Zatakian Government at: zatagovtele@hotmail.com

Follow the Zatakian Government On twitter!!!: https://twitter.com/ZatakGovernment

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 am

Saw that yesterday, really excited.

Hope the lightsaber battles are more like the original trilogy, now dont get me wrong i thought the prequel fights were awesome, but my brother pointed out to me, and i agreee with him, that the sense that the people fighting in these battles could actually get hurt and killed was far lower imo and kind of took away from it. Especially in Episode 3 when Anakin fought Obi Wan, up until the very end, it did not feel like either was actually in any danger as it was way too fast paced.

So hopefully its more slower than that, and the hits have more weight behind them.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:07 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

Saw that yesterday, really excited.

Hope the lightsaber battles are more like the original trilogy, now dont get me wrong i thought the prequel fights were awesome, but my brother pointed out to me, and i agreee with him, that the sense that the people fighting in these battles could actually get hurt and killed was far lower imo and kind of took away from it. Especially in Episode 3 when Anakin fought Obi Wan, up until the very end, it did not feel like either was actually in any danger as it was way too fast paced.

So hopefully its more slower than that, and the hits have more weight behind them.

the Prequel lightsaber fights were often elaborate and flashy (though sometimes somewhat cartoonish) but lacked the intensity of the the two Luke and Vader duels in the Original Trilogy (the Obi-wan and Vader duel in A New Hope, however, was nothing terribly impressive).

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 am

ZATAK wrote:

Really excited to see the movie actually! It is starting to actually look like a come together movie with a decent story and characters. Then again I said the same about the phantom menace....

The Phantom Menace was an 8/10 movie...
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zatak
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zatak » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:53 am

Bearon wrote:
ZATAK wrote:Really excited to see the movie actually! It is starting to actually look like a come together movie with a decent story and characters. Then again I said the same about the phantom menace....

It was decent but...To be honest it did not entertain me for at least sixty percent of the time and I am one to defend the prequels usually!
Last edited by Zatak on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow the Zatakian Government On twitter!!!: https://twitter.com/ZatakGovernment

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

ZATAK wrote:
Bearon wrote:

It was decent but...To be honest it did not entertain me for at least sixty percent of the time and I am one to defend the prequels usually!

Eh expectations were too high. I saw the original trilogy AFTER the prequels so my opinion was not affected.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zatak
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zatak » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am

Bearon wrote:
ZATAK wrote:It was decent but...To be honest it did not entertain me for at least sixty percent of the time and I am one to defend the prequels usually!

Eh expectations were too high. I saw the original trilogy AFTER the prequels so my opinion was not affected.

That seems to be the defining things that effects how you feel about the prequels...

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:40 am

:eyebrow: Where do you get that idea? Males and Females are equal in the Jedi Order, and the Sith as far as I can tell.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Guys. Tongue in cheek.
Unreachable.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:So on top of being pious hypocrites the Jedi were also woman beaters?

:eyebrow: Where do you get that idea? Males and Females are equal in the Jedi Order, and the Sith as far as I can tell.

When Star Wars is the subject, people get the weirdest ideas. Hell, even the Trekkies are surprised.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:34 pm

ZATAK wrote:
Bearon wrote:

That seems to be the defining things that effects how you feel about the prequels...

Not entirely. I saw the Original Trilogy first and though I prefer it, I never really despised any of the Prequels except for Episode I.

Zatak
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zatak » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:43 pm

ZATAK wrote:That seems to be the defining things that effects how you feel about the prequels...

Not entirely. I saw the Original Trilogy first and though I prefer it, I never really despised any of the Prequels except for Episode I.

Well no but it seems that a lot of people who saw the prequals first tend to like them while those of us who only grew up with 4 to 6 seem to not be as open to them...

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Saw that yesterday, really excited.

the Prequel lightsaber fights were often elaborate and flashy (though sometimes somewhat cartoonish) but lacked the intensity of the the two Luke and Vader duels in the Original Trilogy (the Obi-wan and Vader duel in A New Hope, however, was nothing terribly impressive).

I would disagree with Episode III, and even the fight between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:

I would disagree with Episode III, and even the fight between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

The duel on Mustafar was really the crowning moment of the prequels, and arguably, the films in their entirety.
Unreachable.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:55 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:

The Maul vs. Obi-wan and Qui-Gon duel is visually impressive, but somehow doesn't seem as powerful to me as the duels between Luke and Vader.

The Mustafar duel was hampered by poor dialog and some bits that were just too over the top/cartoonish, although some of it is quite good.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction