NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Trollish Smiley Spam in Ohio Transwoman Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

[R] Trollish Smiley Spam in Ohio Transwoman Thread

Postby Cerillium » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Unified Heartless States wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:Source

[. . .] making it nearly 20 in 2016 alone. Anyone who says transpeople just want attention, don't need equality, can wait, or that identity politics is the greatest evil ever . . .

Thoughts NSG?
20 20 20 20 20 20
:bow: :rofl: :lol: :clap: :roll: :clap: :lol: :rofl: :bow:

Then I'll be the first to say that; trans folk just want attention (if their political about it), don't need equality (as they already have it), can indeed wait, and that identity politics is indeed the greatest evil ever as it's child abuse (when encouraged among children).

Bigoted people will always exist, attempting to use these few individual actions to imply some sort of systematic oppression is only as ignorant.

He's entitled to his opinion. The smiley spam and red numbers seem a trollish.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Unified Heartless States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Heartless States » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Just highlighting the over-exaggeration in the Original Posters opinion/post, they are attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

No troll here, not today at least.

Edit: Also, in regards to this notion of smiley spam, smileys can be disabled at any time by any user.

EDITv2: I'll also have to insist you look upon my continued responses in this thread to determine if I am truly attempting to troll it.
Last edited by Unified Heartless States on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm

To address UHS' response:

Your continued responses are not the issue. As I stated in my original report, you are entitled to your opinion. The manner in which you replied (the numbers and smiley spam) to the OP's statement, "...making it nearly 20 in 2016 alone", are the issue.

The OP did not over-exaggerate. There have been 20 unlawful transpersons deaths recorded so far for 2016 (most were brutally murdered): (source).
  1. Monica Loera
  2. Jasmine Sierra
  3. Kayden Clarke
  4. Monica Pineda Rivera
  5. Veronica Banks Cano
  6. Maya Young
  7. Demarkis Stansberry
  8. Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson
  9. Kourtney Yochum
  10. Shante Thompson
  11. Keyonna Blakeney
  12. Reese Walker
  13. Mercedes Successful
  14. Amos Beede
  15. “Goddess” Diamond
  16. Deeniqua Dodds
  17. Dee Whigham
  18. Skye Mockabee
  19. Erykah/Erika Tijerina
  20. Rae'Lynn Thomas
Unified Heartless States wrote:20 20 20 20 20 20
:bow: :rofl: :lol: :clap: :roll: :clap: :lol: :rofl: :bow:
-snip-

I am not going to disable smileys. It is on you to use them appropriately.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Unified Heartless States
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Heartless States » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:46 am

I'd rather we not argue here, but you simply set me up to prove my point:
Cerillium wrote:
  1. Monica Loera (USA - Suspected EX-Lover Killed Them - Prostitute/Client Relationship)
  2. Jasmine Sierra (USA - Unknown)
  3. Kayden Clarke (USA - Suicide By Cop)
  4. Monica Pineda Rivera (Mexico - Do Not Care)
  5. Veronica Banks Cano (USA - Drown - No Foul Play Suspected - Suspicious Circumstance)
  6. Maya Young (USA - Stabbed For Unknown Reason)
  7. Demarkis Stansberry (USA - Accidental Shooting)
  8. Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson (USA - Shoot For Unknown Reason)
  9. Kourtney Yochum (USA - EX-Lover Killed Them)
  10. Shante Thompson (USA - Might Be Due To Discrimination - Could Just Be Gang Violence)
  11. Keyonna Blakeney (USA - Beaten To Death For Unknown Reason)
  12. Reese Walker (USA - Might Be Due To Discrimination)
  13. Mercedes Successful (USA - Might Be Due To Discrimination - Unknown Realistically)
  14. Amos Beede (USA - Beaten To Death For Unknown Reason)
  15. “Goddess” Diamond (USA - Brutal And Unknown - Probably Discrimination)
  16. Deeniqua Dodds (USA - Shot For Unknown Reason)
  17. Dee Whigham (USA - We Will Know Soon)
  18. Skye Mockabee (USA - Unknown - Area Has A History)
  19. Erykah/Erika Tijerina (USA - Unknown Reason)
  20. Rae'Lynn Thomas (USA - The Only Proven Example Of A Hate Crime)
One, that is the only thing the Original Poster had.
To use these other 19 examples as evidence of the hate crimes transsexuals face regularly is dishonest.
Though even if I grant you all 20, even those 20 would not be enough to be used as evidence of the hate crimes transsexuals face regularly.
OP was over-exaggerating the importance of these 20 deaths, which did indeed merit my response (at no point did I challenge these deaths, though I should have).

Now then; those who do not disable smileys, risk running into smileys they will not appreciate seeing. Considering the principle already applies to unwanted/spam telegrams, I don't see why it would not apply to smileys. Though, reasserting what was stated before, it was not smiley spam to begin with.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:31 pm

If you have to invest this much effort into explaining why the trollish spam is not trollish spam, perhaps that section of your original post does not pass the "reasonable person" test?

"[T]he gauge used in cases is what an average viewer/user would think when seeing the reported material. Thats the yardstick [Moderators] have to measure by." - Mod ruling

"Remember that many posts on NationStates.net are judged according to how a hypothetical Reasonable Person™ (who isn't involved in any particular part of the NationStates community) would view the material but might not have noticed the rest of the posts in that thread (or read the thread before any of the following posts had even been posted), so anything posted out-of-context can also be easily read or interpreted out-of-context. So, elaborating posts after the fact here in Moderation saying "Oh, I don't think he's ACTUALLY plotting to use the Mods as a weapon" do not alleviate the reported offense." - Mod ruling

"If a reasonable person just wandering by might be taken aback by what you post, don't post it." Mod ruling

I wandered by and your spam drew my eye. I'm not often involved in NSG nor do I consider myself a member of NationStates' LGBT community. I have no reason to be offended by your opinion or later posts. I have not reported your opinion; I clarified this several times. I have reported a user for smiley spam coupled with red text that seems trollish. Nothing more.

edit: fixed typo
Last edited by Cerillium on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unified Heartless States
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Heartless States » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Another easily counterable point.
I've already decided to allow my point to stand as is.

Nothing left but to bump this up, hopeful a moderator will get to it eventually.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:28 pm

1 week Bump. Just verifying whether or not smiley spam is acceptable.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Cerillium wrote:1 week Bump. Just verifying whether or not smiley spam is acceptable.

Smiley spam is not acceptable.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Merci beaucoup, Farn.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation