NATION

PASSWORD

[Report] This can't be kosher - possible privacy violation?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

[Report] This can't be kosher - possible privacy violation?

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Distantiality wrote:
Maurepas wrote:What? You don't like your images used against you?

But no, an ad hominem is responding to an argument with an attack on someone's lack "of common sense and intellectual honesty.", i.e. an attack on the person's character.

I was speaking in the abstract. Don't be a baby about it.

Maurepas wrote:
Distantiality wrote:

I was speaking in the abstract. Don't be a baby about it.

Cute. I've talked about my disabilities on this website before, so taking a picture from my twitter and childishly using it to insult me isn't going to get the desired result.

User Distantiality appears to have tracked down Maurepas's twitter somehow -- it does not seem to be linked anywhere on Maurepas's profile or post history, which means I suspect they did have to track it down -- and posted a picture of that user without their permission for the apparent purpose of mocking a disability they have, which strikes me as probably a privacy violation, possibly flamebaiting, and certainly very unethical.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Distantiality
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Distantiality » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:33 pm

It was linked on his profile originally. But yes, I shouldn't have done that.
Last edited by Distantiality on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Privacy violation, maybe? I would have assumed it was a random image from the web, had Maurepas not confirmed it as his own. Until reading the second post, I'd have written it off as snark.

However, Distantiality did in fact violate privacy to some extent, and has owned up to it in the post above. As such, I'm going to move this from an "OMG DEAT at ONCE" type event to a simple
*** Warning for flaming (and sorta privacy violation ***.

It's a third party report of an event exacerbated by the 'victim', so I'm treating it lighter than I might otherwise. If another mod wants to overrule this, be my guest. If Maurepas wants an appeal, I would certainly understand and accept that.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 pm

It's alright. I use my twitter to talk about my disability and it's connected to several support groups concerning it. I put it in the little website section in settings without even really thinking about it(I took it off after this) and that was one of the pictures from it.

I don't generally believe in using the mods when I'm arguing with someone so I wasn't going to report it anyway, and I was apologized to via TG. So just so we're clear, I'm not interested in any actions taken in this regard, personally.
Last edited by Maurepas on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:27 pm

I do appreciate the concern though. :)

Return to Moderation