NATION

PASSWORD

[Inquiry] My Warning

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

[Inquiry] My Warning

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:47 am

Sorry, didn't particularly know what to title this thread, if you've got a better title you can suggest that'd be sweet.

So Sedge warned me for my post, and while I'm not really contesting the warning at this time as it was admittedly a clear thread-jack and I'm sorry about that, I'm curious which part of my post was actionable for rules lawyering? Would it be the snarky reference to G-R's avoidance of a warning through self-deprecation, or is there something else I may be missing?

I'd also like to inquire as to how exactly my post is flame-baiting. I perceived Unibot's topic to be yet another effort by his character to re-surge within Gameplay and expressed a short list of his various in-character actions across Nationstates, such as subversion efforts in The South Pacific or fracturing of Defender unity by his role as Chief of the Band to express why I don't believe that character should really be tolerated within various regions. It just seems that the line, as many others have brought up already, is incredibly tough to figure out on when we move from pointing out a player's various actions and when that falls into flamebaiting.
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:21 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:Sorry, didn't particularly know what to title this thread, if you've got a better title you can suggest that'd be sweet.

So Sedge warned me for my post, and while I'm not really contesting the warning at this time as it was admittedly a clear thread-jack and I'm sorry about that, I'm curious which part of my post was actionable for rules lawyering? Would it be the snarky reference to G-R's avoidance of a warning through self-deprecation, or is there something else I may be missing?

I'd also like to inquire as to how exactly my post is flame-baiting. I perceived Unibot's topic to be yet another effort by his character to re-surge within Gameplay and expressed a short list of his various in-character actions across Nationstates, such as subversion efforts in The South Pacific or fracturing of Defender unity by his role as Chief of the Band to express why I don't believe that character should really be tolerated within various regions. It just seems that the line, as many others have brought up already, is incredibly tough to figure out on when we move from pointing out a player's various actions and when that falls into flamebaiting.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the rules lawyering bit. As far as flamebaiting I won't speak for Sedge but in my eyes what makes it flamebait is also what made it a threadjack: that it was an out of nowhere attack on the individual that had nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread, despite your nominal justification. If you accept that it was a threadjack then I hope you can see why it would then be construed as baiting.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:Sorry, didn't particularly know what to title this thread, if you've got a better title you can suggest that'd be sweet.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the rules lawyering bit. As far as flamebaiting I won't speak for Sedge but in my eyes what makes it flamebait is also what made it a threadjack: that it was an out of nowhere attack on the individual that had nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread, despite your nominal justification. If you accept that it was a threadjack then I hope you can see why it would then be construed as baiting.

Ah, alright. Having seen Sedge's post past-lock post in a different thread here I can see how it was perceived as such, though I would have hoped it would be incredibly evident that I was making a sarcastic remark rather than actually trying to use it as my own way of dodging punishment. Furthermore, I'm not really sure how in context my post was different than that of G-R's in that sense, particularly given the lack of clarity we've been provided on the matter as of late. While I still contest personally that it was a threadjack, I can understand why it was ruled as such and don't see much potential in appealing it.

If it's possible, however, and I don't know if there's merit in it but I think it'd then get stricken from my record if granted, I'd like to raise a flag to appeal just the Rules Lawyering part of my warning, given the fact that I was in no way trying to "lawyer" the rules, particularly given the lack of clarity on what the rules really are right now, and the fact that the tone and context made it a rather evident intent of parody rather than any sort of warning dodging.
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:43 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:I think it'd then get stricken from my record

Technical answer: Nothing is ever "stricken". We can indicate that an entire warning is reversed, but all mod logs are non-editable. In any event, you weren't given three warnings - just one warning tagged for three different aspects. So removing those two words would have no effect on your warning.

Judgement answer: As for whether it was a deserved warning, I agree with Mall and Sedgistan. Creating a subset of NS players called "jerks", and then including yourself in that subset; does not absolve you from being warning for flaming the other members of the subset. That's pure rules lawyering.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:47 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:I think it'd then get stricken from my record

Technical answer: Nothing is ever "stricken". We can indicate that an entire warning is reversed, but all mod logs are non-editable. In any event, you weren't given three warnings - just one warning tagged for three different aspects. So removing those two words would have no effect on your warning.

Judgement answer: As for whether it was a deserved warning, I agree with Mall and Sedgistan. Creating a subset of NS players called "jerks", and then including yourself in that subset; does not absolve you from being warning for flaming the other members of the subset. That's pure rules lawyering.

Right, I got that. I just kind of assumed it might be better record wise to not have a warning attributed to two things than to three things. Anyways, understood, thanks for the explanation Fris.

*leaves some Valentine's Day cupcakes*
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:57 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Creating a subset of NS players called "jerks", and then including yourself in that subset; does not absolve you from being warning for flaming the other members of the subset.

Yes it does, Fris. That's the exact comment Tim was mimicking in his post, actually.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Ridersyl wrote:Yes it does, Fris.

I saw that before I posted, and I disagree with the concept that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult. I'm not going to overturn Sedge's ruling in that case, but I also an not going to change my explanation in this instance.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:10 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:Yes it does, Fris.

I saw that before I posted, and I disagree with the concept that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult. I'm not going to overturn Sedge's ruling in that case, but I also an not going to change my explanation in this instance.

So moderation enforces that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult, and at the same time enforces that you cannot?

This is downright confusing.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:I saw that before I posted, and I disagree with the concept that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult. I'm not going to overturn Sedge's ruling in that case, but I also an not going to change my explanation in this instance.

So moderation enforces that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult, and at the same time enforces that you cannot?

Despite jokes about the Hive Mind, moderators don't all think the same way. So, yes, they can reach different conclusions. I, however, do think the team needs to clarify this matter, especially since a few outspoken people are complaining about vague and inconsistent moderation.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:I saw that before I posted, and I disagree with the concept that you can freely insult someone else if your include yourself in the insult. I'm not going to overturn Sedge's ruling in that case, but I also an not going to change my explanation in this instance.

No. Moderation enforces that in that instance, GR's alleged flame was not severe enough to warrant moderator intervention. Fris may disagree with the ruling but he has elected not to overturn it.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation