NATION

PASSWORD

[REPORT] Legality of 'War Crimes Tribunal'?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[REPORT] Legality of 'War Crimes Tribunal'?

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:53 am

Is the proposal 'War Crimes Tribunal' a category violation? http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=chester_pearson_1421530135

By the author's own admission, here:

Chester Pearson wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:What are "war crimes"? I can't find anything in the present text indicating which "heinous" crimes this "War Crimes Tribunal" is qualified to prosecute.

That's because this tribunal doesn't prosecute anything. It simply investigates complaints of war crimes, and if necessary issues arrest warrants that member nations are compelled to execute. The actual prosecution is handled by individual nations that were wronged.

As for your continual disingenuous misinterpretations? They are now becoming mildly annoying....

The War Crimes Tribunal proposed only investigates crimes, which does not fall under the description: 'increase military and police spending', as it makes no mention of military spending and regarding police spending, police arrest people. This tribunal only issues arrest warrants, which makes it effectively the same as a court of law in a civil law country and the same as a judge in a common law country.

Note: if this is the wrong forum, please direct me to the correct one/the correct way to ask for a legality ruling.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 am

(Not tagged [Report] so I assume I'm allowed to post.)

The fad for asking for legality rulings in the Moderation forum is a relatively new one, and is likely a product of the severe inattentiveness of the moderators to the WA forum. There are positive developments in that regard that give much cause for hope, but still, it's generally better to put a legality query in the WA forum, because moderators prefer WA players comment first (for example). I would encourage you to post this concern to the WCT thread, even if the moderators end up commenting here.

As to the query you raise, it's true that the WTC doesn't arrest people, but the resolution still requires that nations execute warrants and pursue extradition, both of which it's reasonable to assume would require police spending. Significant seems a severe stretch, but is admittedly consistent with Universal Jurisdiction's recent ruling.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:55 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:(Not tagged [Report] so I assume I'm allowed to post.)

The fad for asking for legality rulings in the Moderation forum is a relatively new one, and is likely a product of the severe inattentiveness of the moderators to the WA forum. There are positive developments in that regard that give much cause for hope, but still, it's generally better to put a legality query in the WA forum, because moderators prefer WA players comment first (for example). I would encourage you to post this concern to the WCT thread, even if the moderators end up commenting here.

As to the query you raise, it's true that the WTC doesn't arrest people, but the resolution still requires that nations execute warrants and pursue extradition, both of which it's reasonable to assume would require police spending. Significant seems a severe stretch, but is admittedly consistent with Universal Jurisdiction's recent ruling.

Yes, but that would be raising the budget of the courts of inquiry, as the only thing this proposed WCT does is say, 'okay. looks like he's done some crimes. go bag him. here's the paperwork. NEXT!'. That doesn't raise police or military budgets. Raising police or military budgets deals with either defence or actually apprehending the suspects.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:39 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:(Not tagged [Report] so I assume I'm allowed to post.)

Yes, but that would be raising the budget of the courts of inquiry, as the only thing this proposed WCT does is say, 'okay. looks like he's done some crimes. go bag him. here's the paperwork. NEXT!'. That doesn't raise police or military budgets. Raising police or military budgets deals with either defence or actually apprehending the suspects.

Members are required to apprehend war criminal outside their jurisdictions, quite possibly necessitating the invasions of other nations, which increase military spending. Nations are also required to try and INCARCERATE war criminals, increasing police budgets. Nations that are incapable of doing so, are required to extradite to nations that are, increasing police budgets.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Members are required to apprehend war criminal outside their jurisdictions, quite possibly necessitating the invasions of other nations, which increase military spending. Nations are also required to try and INCARCERATE war criminals, increasing police budgets. Nations that are incapable of doing so, are required to extradite to nations that are, increasing police budgets.

Chester Pearson wrote:That's because this tribunal doesn't prosecute anything. It simply investigates complaints of war crimes, and if necessary issues arrest warrants that member nations are compelled to execute. The actual prosecution is handled by individual nations that were wronged.

As for your continual disingenuous misinterpretations? They are now becoming mildly annoying....

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:

Chester Pearson wrote:That's because this tribunal doesn't prosecute anything. It simply investigates complaints of war crimes, and if necessary issues arrest warrants that member nations are compelled to execute. The actual prosecution is handled by individual nations that were wronged.

The law does not do what I interpret it to do, it does what it says.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:The law does not do what I interpret it to do, it does what it says.

That's a very outdated view. The moderators have subsequently ruled that this is not the case, so I don't think it's a very valid defence.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation