NATION

PASSWORD

Spamming moderation

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Spamming moderation

Postby Souseiseki » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am

Ethel mermania wrote:thank you dread lady. (leaves plate of cookies).

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:thank you dread lady. (leaves plate of cookies).

Conspiracy. You are deliberately attempting to make me eat fattening things. I shall record this in the Book of Grudges or some such. Grr, argh. :P

"Your comment is unnecessary here", "this is not a debate forum, and we don't need the various 'opinions' unless you're actually trying to help a player understand the rules, direct them to helpful posts, etc. Thanks."
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am

Duly noted. I was not aware that levity was against the rules of these forums. Perhaps the infinitely wise complaintant can point me to where it is stated that the moderators can never reply with so much as a hint of good humor to lighten a less than pleasant situation.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Duly noted.

Thank you.

I was not aware that levity was against the rules of these forums.

As far as I know, it is not. But Moderation is a very serious forum by all accounts.

Perhaps the infinitely wise complaintant

I'd prefer it if we refrained from little digs at each other.

can point me to where it is stated that the moderators can never reply with so much as a hint of good humor to lighten a less than pleasant situation.

If you would actually like me to take a shot at quoting rules at you, I will do so and take that line as my invitation to do so by you. My response would then be to you to state where it is stated you can?

If you are not:

1) Bringing up a matter of concern with Moderation
2) Reporting a rules violation
3) Linking to a relevant rule or relevant post
4) Answering a report about yourself

do NOT post in moderation. We've gotten many, many, "in my opinion" posts and downright wrong non-mod rulings and they are just NOT HELPFUL.

Since it appears that warnings against gloating, against adding unhelpful comments, et cetera have not made much of an impression, repeat offenders should not be surprised to find temporary bans on their nations.

If you're not reporting a problem, providing clarification about a currently reported problem, giving a link to where it occurred, defending yourself, or otherwise posting a matter of importance, stay out. The constant, unhelpful, and often foolish and snide commentary is not appreciated.

It's here to REPORT PROBLEMS or REQUEST RULINGS.

You MAY link to a relevant ruling OR add more information (such as, 'You should see these links as well for more examples' or 'These other folks also behaved badly in the same thread'.

You may NOT offer your opinion on whether a report is justified or not, whether you agree with it or not, or whether you think it's serious or not.

You may be warned or banned for spamming.

We've said this over and over and it apparently has not made a sufficient impression.

As far as I can tell these rules seems to have been set up as a "this is ok, everything else is banned" structure not "this is banned, everything else is ok" so "it doesn't say I can't" seems like an ineffective line. But maybe I am misinterpreting Katganistans (who IIRC wrote all these posts) posts or there are different rules for moderators? You can make posts that could easily be classified as spam in any serious topic at will?

Frisbeeteria wrote:Since Dread Lady Nathicana clearly can't rule on her own posts, I'll point out that these are totally non actionable.

So, does that mean there are circumstances under which it is ok to turn Moderation threads into mini-TETs to talk about your cookies and getting total fat?

I understand it is customary to make a thank you post with cute gesture but I'm having trouble seeing how the response has any actual value that would save it from being classed as spam in any NSG topic, never mind a Moderation topic, which appears to be an increasingly serious and prevalent problem.
Last edited by Souseiseki on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

"banned for shitposting"
*shitposts*
"yeah it's ok when i do it im a condescending moderator with all the authority, question me? you'll get flame baited, another thing i won't be called to question on!"
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Spamming in Moderation is an offence as it wastes our time when we could be dealing with other problems. Unhelpful advice and continuing arguments in Moderation reports often also causes further trouble, hence the rules you've quoted there.

Thanking a moderator for handling a report is not necessary, but is acceptable. Accompanying the thanks with a friendly gesture such "leaves cookies" or suchlike is equally fine.

To answer your question, yes there is a different rule for moderators - the "spamming in Moderation" rules don't apply to us. Why? Because we're the ones doing the work here, and a moderator posting a light-hearted acknowledgement of thanks doesn't cause us any further work.

Oterro - grow up.

Return to Moderation