NATION

PASSWORD

Illegal Coding?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Illegal Coding?

Postby Retro Lyra » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm

As I understand, manipulating the site (as in including ad-ons) are "illegal" on NS. Codes cannot be used to mess with the site, in other words. One of my NS friends has had some concerns recently over the region True North, whom he thinks is using a code to create and maintain puppets. His accusations lie on the fact that the puppets have extremely similar names and are all arriving in the region quickly after one another. As a puppet creator myself, I know that creating puppets in such a rapid succession is possible, but hard. I myself do have a slight suspicion over the similar puppet names, but I suppose it beats sitting around, trying to think of a name.

Is there any way the mods can look into this and be sure he's not cheating, simply to quell all accusations? I seriously doubt he is using a code, but better safe than sorry.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Please submit this via Getting Help and we'll shove it at the Admins.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

True and great north
Secretary

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby True and great north » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 am

i have never used any coding. Both the creating/maintaining of nations is done by hand

The "similar" nation names are the effort of laziness on my part.
The "speed" is due to ctrl+v (if you look at the similar nations, the currency, national animal and motto are the same)

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 am

... there's also the auto-form filler provided with Firefox which would provide the same function. Although would that be illegal?
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

True and great north
Secretary

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby True and great north » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 pm

^i also have that. but it's on google chrome, it just pops up what i have typed before, like my email address

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Retro Lyra wrote:Codes cannot be used to mess with the site, in other words.

That's a fairly overblown and far-too-inclusive definition of scripting. We've got script rules in the OSRS. The limitation is on complete automation. As long as there is a human being in the command loop pressing the "Create Nation" button, nation creation is not automated.

Enfaru wrote:Although would that be illegal?

Buh? That's not scripting. Not remotely illegal.

I will admit to personal puzzlement over why anyone would want to maintain 1000+ nations. Using 50-100 in gameplay I understand. Creating every sports team in existence or setting up test-nation_1 to _4367 seems a bizarre way to spend one's time.

Return to Moderation