NATION

PASSWORD

New theme: "Century"

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 pm

[violet] wrote:
Topid wrote:Is it impossible to use the cooler side panel on the forum page? If so, why? :unsure:

Just wondering.

The trial is gameside only, but if/when the new theme becomes the default, the forum will use it.

So does "default" that mean the old version will be available for use if we want to?
AKA Weed

Taledonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:11 am

Doesn't change very much, does it? Only the side menu and banner. I'd like to see a different look to regions, nation pages, et cetera. Y'know, spruce them up a bit.

PigPigBB
Civilian

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

love the new theme!

Postby PigPigBB » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:51 am

it isn't too much of a stretch from the original. i love the banner! :D

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 am

I don't like it at all. Sorry I have nothing more constructive to add -- I would much prefer to stick with the old theme. It just doesn't work for me.
Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 am

I like it. but I can keep seeing the laurel crest thing as a hammer and sickle.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Ebana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:27 am

St George of England wrote:I like it. but I can keep seeing the laurel crest thing as a hammer and sickle.

I believe that's the World Assembly's insignia.

New South Hell
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New South Hell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 am

I'm pretty happy by what I've seen so far of the new look (haven't gone to everywhere yet), with one big exception. I really don't like the look of the new Civil Headquarters. I find that having the name of the sender and the message text side-by-side makes things a lot more readable for me. I realize if there are long messages, this is a less efficient use of space, but for me, readability trumps compactness. If this aspect of the new look remains unchanged, I have a tough decision ahead on whether or not to stick with the old interface.

A minor point is that the Regional Happenings line-wraps at a width much less than that of the Civil Headquarters. This looks weird to me. (Firefox 3.6.12, Windows 7)

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 am

New South Hell wrote:I'm pretty happy by what I've seen so far of the new look (haven't gone to everywhere yet), with one big exception. I really don't like the look of the new Civil Headquarters. I find that having the name of the sender and the message text side-by-side makes things a lot more readable for me. I realize if there are long messages, this is a less efficient use of space, but for me, readability trumps compactness. If this aspect of the new look remains unchanged, I have a tough decision ahead on whether or not to stick with the old interface.

A minor point is that the Regional Happenings line-wraps at a width much less than that of the Civil Headquarters. This looks weird to me. (Firefox 3.6.12, Windows 7)

I prefer the RMG part like it is on the new one as opposed to the current way. I think if the white spaces were deleted, it'd look better.

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 am

This look is so much better.

Make this the default immediately.
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 am

Ebana wrote:
St George of England wrote:I like it. but I can keep seeing the laurel crest thing as a hammer and sickle.

I believe that's the World Assembly's insignia.

I agree with St. George. :D
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 am

Lenyo wrote:
Ebana wrote:I believe that's the World Assembly's insignia.

I agree with St. George. :D

All the best people do. 8)

New South Hell
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New South Hell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 am

An idea I had that might make me like the new Civil Headquarters layout more would be to give either the message origin or the text a background color, and take out the separator between them. I'm guessing this based on the current WA page layout, which I quite like.

For some reason, the current format makes me want to read the message origin as a message itself (despite the fact that the present formatting does clearly distinguish the two parts).

Pythria
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythria » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:11 am

This is just a tiny difference, but somehow it stuck out at me. When mousing over a delegate's name (on the top of the regional page) in the new version, there's an underscore before their flag.
_[FLAG] Delegate Name
as opposed to
[FLAG] Delegate Name
Last edited by Pythria on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oviabshe
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oviabshe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 am

I'm going to join the bandwagon and say I hate the new top banner. It's very distracting and actually makes me dizzy when I look at it.

I like the look of the new sidebar, but some pages, such as region pages, almost appear squeezed because of its new size. I especially like the miniature flag graphic that is displayed next to my nation name on the sidebar, but it seems rather silly when I am on my nation page and see a full-size version of my own flag. If it could be coded to only appear when the main nation page is being viewed, that would be great, but I am not a programmer, so I don't know if that's possible.

The gigantic ad that appears on the side of my issues page is quite intrusive, much more so than the one that appears at the top with the old theme. I also love the small ad at the bottom for Max Barry's books. It seems very well-designed and pleasing to the eye.

This is a very minor complaint, but I don't really like how my national motto appears in italics. I use cyrillic letters, and I think they look rather strange italicized.

The space allotted for each individual telegram seems a bit large, at least for me since the telegrams I recieve and send tend to be rather short.
Muahaha I'm back...
Ducking g hallatious is a better nation.

Caelestius
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Caelestius » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:48 am

I miss the login field and password on the left frame. It was easy for me to simply click and login rather then have to click "Login" and go through the routine with each nation.
I'm not a driven businessman, but a driven artist. I never think about money. Beautiful things make money.
- Lord Acton

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 am

New South Hell wrote:An idea I had that might make me like the new Civil Headquarters layout more would be to give either the message origin or the text a background color, and take out the separator between them. I'm guessing this based on the current WA page layout, which I quite like.

For some reason, the current format makes me want to read the message origin as a message itself (despite the fact that the present formatting does clearly distinguish the two parts).

You might be on to something there. Maybe that is what's going on. Certainly having the sender info in a different column, organized the information, so our eyes generally just focused on one column. Maybe we need to just retrain our eyes to focus on every other row? Giving them a color would help to organize the information.

Holy Roman Confederate
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Roman Confederate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 am

The proposed look isn't bad at all. I for one welcome the changes. We all know you're a busy man Max, so I thank you for taking the time to put the update together.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78531
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79073&p=3753933#p3753933

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

New South Hell wrote:I'm pretty happy by what I've seen so far of the new look (haven't gone to everywhere yet), with one big exception. I really don't like the look of the new Civil Headquarters. I find that having the name of the sender and the message text side-by-side makes things a lot more readable for me. I realize if there are long messages, this is a less efficient use of space, but for me, readability trumps compactness. If this aspect of the new look remains unchanged, I have a tough decision ahead on whether or not to stick with the old interface.

I haz wide screen laptop...the new layout makes the RMB so wiiiiiiiiiiiide...it's annoying to read it this way :(

Tarnell
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarnell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 am

i do not like the ads.

Laos Refugees
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Laos Refugees » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

I don't know, I like the new log in area. Sometimes I'd hit log out instead of Settings or region, got a bit annoying.

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:11 pm

I like it.

Kyuria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuria » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 pm

It's nice. Not bad. but uh,... that big silver globe thing, kinda unbalances the page. Needs moar silver all over to balance it.

Other than than that I'm loving the changes!!!
Why must I be the only one who can be reasonable in the face of chaos?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 pm

[violet] wrote:I should email you the raw image files (with layers etc), maybe you can work some magic.

For anyone interested in having a try at redesigning the top banner, here are some images!

• http://www.nationstates.net/images/tmp/NSbanner.xcf (GIMP format)
  • http://www.nationstates.net/images/tmp/NSbanner.psd (PhotoShop format)
  • http://www.nationstates.net/images/tmp/AVID11732.jpg (full globe image)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:54 pm

It looks nice so far, but maybe make the globe a bit more subtle as to not overpower the logo. In future I'd be interested to see how we could have user-submitted themes. Not now, but perhaps later. Finally, we also got to add support for themes in the settings panel.
Unibot wrote:Perhaps switching ... Image with something like.. Image

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure which I prefer, it definitely is annoying having the white space to interrupt the flow of the column's color, but it also it sort of boxy to have the main white frame boxed in by a column and a row of color.

Wait I have an idea! :idea: But I have no advice on how to code it.. hhm, I mock up a image.

EDIT II: That wouldn't work, I was planning to have the information on the side bar appear on a dark rounded rectangle, but then you'd have this strange looking white space as a margin on the longer pages. Err, I dunno.

It's a good idea, but then the edge of globe should then cover that image, albeit not overpowering it.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerod
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerod » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I love it! Great improvement! I'd love if that was NS's new look!!
[Founder of Green Isles]

Name:The Hibernian Empire of Cerod
Leader: Michael Martin
National Ideology: Democratic left
Main Race: Aryan
Delegacies held: 5
Founderships held: 9
Use of Nuclear Weapons? Assured.
My nation's ideology, is my ideology
Peacetime readiness
LOLOLOLIn response to what he does at Christmas
Desperate Measures wrote:Decapitating squirrels and screaming at traffic, respectively.
Unsuccessful Raids: Sierra.Luna.Terradem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical