NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates API (nationdata/regiondata)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

^^ Bug fixed. Your region restricted recruitment to "API only" and the system was blocking your attempt to create an API template since it wasn't technically an API request. It should work now.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:30 pm

[violet], would it be possible to add a private shard that simply resets the CTE timer for a nation? I'd like to write a web-based autologin script, but the main NationStates website doesn't (and shouldn't) support CORS requests. As it stands I can make the request (using hidden POST form hackery) but I can't examine it to verify that it succeeded. A dedicated API call would solve that problem.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Greater Tern
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Auralia wrote:[violet], would it be possible to add a private shard that simply resets the CTE timer for a nation? I'd like to write a web-based autologin script, but the main NationStates website doesn't (and shouldn't) support CORS requests. As it stands I can make the request (using hidden POST form hackery) but I can't examine it to verify that it succeeded. A dedicated API call would solve that problem.

I think any of the private shards reset the CTE timer when accessed, since using them counts as a login.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Auralia wrote:[violet], would it be possible to add a private shard that simply resets the CTE timer for a nation? I'd like to write a web-based autologin script, but the main NationStates website doesn't (and shouldn't) support CORS requests. As it stands I can make the request (using hidden POST form hackery) but I can't examine it to verify that it succeeded. A dedicated API call would solve that problem.

Oh, I did that already (it's in beta though), https://github.com/ifly6/ifly-Nation-Manager . It is just a list of nations and relevant attributes (encrypted), with a connector to query each one. When it comes to the private shards, I just fetch the nation Notifications.

V, will there be a way to restore nations via the API, or will that have to be done via interaction with the site?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

Greater Tern wrote:I think any of the private shards reset the CTE timer when accessed, since using them counts as a login.

It looks like you're correct! In that case, [violet], would you mind adding CORS support to the private shards API? I believe you would need to add "Password", "Pin", and "Autologin" to an "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" header in API responses.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:V, will there be a way to restore nations via the API, or will that have to be done via interaction with the site?

This seems unlikely, given that restoring nations has gameside effects in places other than your own nation.
Last edited by Auralia on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Auralia wrote:[violet], would you mind adding CORS support to the private shards API? I believe you would need to add "Password", "Pin", and "Autologin" to an "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" header in API responses.

People have asked for CORS stuff before but I've never been able to figure it out with enough confidence to feel like I know what I'm doing.

Can your script not see whether the request returns HTTP 200 vs 403/509?

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 am

[violet] wrote:
Auralia wrote:[violet], would you mind adding CORS support to the private shards API? I believe you would need to add "Password", "Pin", and "Autologin" to an "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" header in API responses.

People have asked for CORS stuff before but I've never been able to figure it out with enough confidence to feel like I know what I'm doing.

Can your script not see whether the request returns HTTP 200 vs 403/509?

No -- without CORS support the browser blocks JavaScript from receiving any response whatsoever, including the HTTP return code.

For example, when trying to get Auralia's notices, the Chrome Developer Console prints the following:

Fetch API cannot load https://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/ap ... uralia&v=9. Request header field password is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers in preflight response.

...and JavaScript gets a "TypeError: Failed to fetch" with no other information.

You've already added CORS support to most of the API by including an "Access-Control-Allow-Origin" header in the response that contains the origin of the request. Actually, I believe it was in response to a request from me. :P

The problem is that the private shards API requires that you add an additional header for authentication (Password, Pin, or Autologin). Browsers don't let JavaScript send cross-origin requests with arbitrary headers unless authorized by the destination through an "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" header in the response. You can read more about this header on MDN.

Also, if you want the X-Pin header in the response to be visible to the JavaScript running in the browser, you need to include that header in a "Access-Control-Expose-Headers" header in the response as well. Again, you can take a look at MDN.

As a side note, all custom headers should generally be prefaced with "X-" in order to avoid conflicting with new headers defined in future versions of HTTP.
Last edited by Auralia on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:13 pm

The part I have trouble with is I know this security model exists for a reason, and when I start creating exceptions, I'm unclear on the security implications of the holes I just poked in it.

I can certainly see it's handy for third-party scripts to be able to make cross-domain requests and read the return data. But what class of attacks does enabling "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" allow? There must be some, or it wouldn't exist.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Auralia wrote:As a side note, all custom headers should generally be prefaced with "X-" in order to avoid conflicting with new headers defined in future versions of HTTP.

Is this not the case already?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 pm

[violet] wrote:
Auralia wrote:As a side note, all custom headers should generally be prefaced with "X-" in order to avoid conflicting with new headers defined in future versions of HTTP.

I think he's referring to the authentication example here? https://www.nationstates.net/pages/api.html#nationapi

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:39 pm

[violet] wrote:The part I have trouble with is I know this security model exists for a reason, and when I start creating exceptions, I'm unclear on the security implications of the holes I just poked in it.

I can certainly see it's handy for third-party scripts to be able to make cross-domain requests and read the return data. But what class of attacks does enabling "Access-Control-Allow-Headers" allow? There must be some, or it wouldn't exist.

If I understand it correctly, the original purpose of blocking cross-domain requests was to prevent malicious websites from masquerading as the user on other websites. Let's say you log into a banking website and then visit a malicious website. In the absense of the same-origin policy, the JavaScript running on the website could send requests to the banking website withdrawing money, and the bank would think they were coming from you because they are coming from your browser using your session cookie.

This attack doesn't really make sense in the context of the NationStates API, though. Most of the shards are public, so it doesn't matter who accesses them. Moreover, the private shards do not rely on cookies for authentication, so a malicious website can't masquerade as the user unless the user actually provides them with their password.

[violet] wrote:

Not entirely. Per the API documentation, the request authentication headers for private shards are "Pin", "Password" and "Autologin", which are not prefaced with "X-". However, the response uses the header "X-Pin".

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Auralia wrote:Moreover, the private shards do not rely on cookies for authentication, so a malicious website can't masquerade as the user unless the user actually provides them with their password.

I'm pretty sure you can use private shards with a login token/PIN (I forget the exact term - it's been a while since I've looked at the private shards) which is identical to the one stored in your cookies for auto-login.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Caelapes wrote:
Auralia wrote:Moreover, the private shards do not rely on cookies for authentication, so a malicious website can't masquerade as the user unless the user actually provides them with their password.

I'm pretty sure you can use private shards with a login token/PIN (I forget the exact term - it's been a while since I've looked at the private shards) which is identical to the one stored in your cookies for auto-login.

That's true, but it doesn't affect my underlying point. The NationStates private shards API doesn't actually look at cookies for authentication. It uses custom headers which will not be included automatically by a browser in a request. The script actually has to know what credentials to use and specify them manually.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Auralia wrote:This attack doesn't really make sense in the context of the NationStates API, though. Most of the shards are public, so it doesn't matter who accesses them. Moreover, the private shards do not rely on cookies for authentication, so a malicious website can't masquerade as the user unless the user actually provides them with their password.

That much I understand, but not why the ability to post headers is also denied by default. That doesn't have anything to do with cookies yet has apparently been deemed risky enough to block by browser vendors.

Auralia wrote:Per the API documentation, the request authentication headers for private shards are "Pin", "Password" and "Autologin", which are not prefaced with "X-". However, the response uses the header "X-Pin".

Ah, I see. I'll update the documentation and we'll accept both X- prefaced and non-prefaced versions.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm

[violet] wrote:
Auralia wrote:This attack doesn't really make sense in the context of the NationStates API, though. Most of the shards are public, so it doesn't matter who accesses them. Moreover, the private shards do not rely on cookies for authentication, so a malicious website can't masquerade as the user unless the user actually provides them with their password.

That much I understand, but not why the ability to post headers is also denied by default. That doesn't have anything to do with cookies yet has apparently been deemed risky enough to block by browser vendors.

One user on StackOverflow suggests that it's just browsers being cautious about exposing web sites to any kind of request that used to be blocked by the same-origin policy. Some servers may react badly when certain kinds of headers are included in a request, so browsers require that they explicitly opt-in to receiving those headers. If you really wanted to cause mayhem you could simply use curl or wget, but perhaps the browser vendors are just being friendly.

One other possibility that I thought of is to prevent phishing. If part of your public API requires custom headers for some special restricted purpose, you may want to prevent browsers from accessing that part of the API so as to ensure that no user can be fooled into thinking that they are communicating with you directly rather than through a go-between.
Last edited by Auralia on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 am

Any thoughts, [violet]? I'd appreciate knowing for certain whether you're planning to open up the private shards API via CORS so that I can know whether it's necessary to wrap my script in an Electron wrapper or something.

Really stateless nation
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Really stateless nation » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:03 am

Is there any API to get (anti-)top N countries from non-today World Census? For example, I can want to get names of top 10 countries for Corruption and names of anti-top 7 countries for Nudity (i.e. 7 countries with the most clothed citizens).

Greater Tern
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Really stateless nation wrote:Is there any API to get (anti-)top N countries from non-today World Census? For example, I can want to get names of top 10 countries for Corruption and names of anti-top 7 countries for Nudity (i.e. 7 countries with the most clothed citizens).

You can use the censusranks shard with the scale modifier to get the top 10 for a given census: https://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/ap ... s;scale=51

You can add the start modifier on top of that to change the start index: https://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/ap ... 1;start=50

I'm not sure if there's a way to get the last 10 nations for a given census.
Last edited by Greater Tern on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 am

Right now, if I use this, I'll get my endorsements.

Code: Select all
https://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api.cgi?nation=imperium_anglorum&q=endorsements

Would it be possible to have something like this:

Code: Select all
https://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api.cgi?nation=imperium_anglorum+alsted&q=endorsements

So one can query multiple nations for the same shard?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:So one can query multiple nations for the same shard?

No, this isn't supported. The API is structured that way because loading additional nations is one of the slower areas of our code.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 pm

[violet] wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:So one can query multiple nations for the same shard?

No, this isn't supported. The API is structured that way because loading additional nations is one of the slower areas of our code.

As the Daily dump does not show endorsement data, is the only way I can get that data for my region by querying the API for every single nation?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 am

[violet] wrote:"beforetime" and "sincetime" parameters are now supported in the Happenings API. See the doc for examples.

Violet, for how long are happenings stored for? It seems I can't get any more happenings that are older than the 17th of January.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Agadar wrote:for how long are happenings stored for?
7 days, as you probably suspected from that date.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Agadar wrote:for how long are happenings stored for?
7 days, as you probably suspected from that date.

That's real disappointing to learn, as this means I can't make regional rankings of nations with the most endorsements given, as there is no other way for me to find out who endorsed who during a specific period of time outside of happenings, which are apparently limited to up to 7 days ago.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Agadar wrote:That's real disappointing to learn, as this means I can't make regional rankings of nations with the most endorsements given, as there is no other way for me to find out who endorsed who during a specific period of time outside of happenings, which are apparently limited to up to 7 days ago.

Query lots of nations into lots of files which you can store.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical