NATION

PASSWORD

[Q/S] Say you wanted to make a language...

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Gurori
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Q/S] Say you wanted to make a language...

Postby Gurori » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:27 pm

So, people on NS like to make their own languages but what if you want to make a symbol-based language like Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc without using the already existing symbols. What I'm trying to say is, it is possible to come up with a language with original symbols and actually be able to type it?

If not then is such a thing even implementable?
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.
Puppet master of Neo Gurori.

This nation will never reflect my actual views.
Also, NS Stats are absolutely non-canon.

Uupha
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uupha » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Such a thing is called the [IMG] tag. :P
That's really the only way I can think of to allow a computer to know every possible combination of pixels that could be a symbol.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Uupha wrote:Such a thing is called the [IMG] tag. :P
Yeah, that.

This isn't really more or less of an issue on NationStates than it would be on any other site.

I'm also wondering what you mean by "symbol-based" language, since that should be every written language. English letters are "symbols" too, they're just symbols we're rather familiar with. If you mean logographic characters, then even your examples are incorrect, since modern Korean is not written in a logographic script (though it was centuries ago), and Japanese writing is only partly logographic.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:05 pm

If you're really dedicated you can create a font which contains your original symbols. That's fine for your own use, but if you wanted to use them on the web, etc, you would need to distribute the font and persuade people to use it.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:If you're really dedicated you can create a font which contains your original symbols. That's fine for your own use, but if you wanted to use them on the web, etc, you would need to distribute the font and persuade people to use it.

Unless you host a website. Then you can force them to use it!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Return to Technical