NATION

PASSWORD

[Idea] National Animal Type

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ayaroko
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

[Idea] National Animal Type

Postby Ayaroko » Sat May 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi there!

I have a suggestion for the settings of your nation. Instead of detecting which type of animal your national animal is by key words, e.g. "Shark" or "Deer", you could have a small drop-down list, with the options of Aerial, Land, or Sea animal. This would allow people to use foreign words for animals. For example, my current national animal is the Greater Ayarokese Jinbeizame, a Jinbeizame being the Japanese word for Whale Shark.

Hopefully this could clear up some issues regarding national animals and grammar, thank you for your time!
Last edited by Ayaroko on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat May 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Personally, I think this is a good idea presuming the coding isn't to hard. It might be helpful to stick [idea] in the thread title so people look at it as well.
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Europe and Oceania
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Europe and Oceania » Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 am

Ayaroko wrote:Hi there!

I have a suggestion for the settings of your nation. Instead of detecting which type of animal your national animal is by key words, e.g. "Shark" or "Deer", you could have a small drop-down list, with the options of Aerial, Land, or Sea animal. This would allow people to use foreign words for animals. For example, my current national animal is the Greater Ayarokese Jinbeizame, a Jinbeizame being the Japanese word for Whale Shark.

Hopefully this could clear up some issues regarding national animals and grammar, thank you for your time!

Sounds good. They should do this.
"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either" --Blaise Pascal

"The Republican Party is not even a party anymore, it's just a group of Christian Fundamentalists and representatives for Corporate America."
--Kyle Kulinski, Host of Secular Talk

WA Delegate and Founder of New Utopian World

SchutteGod
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SchutteGod » Sun May 29, 2016 11:18 am

Yup, might be a good thing. My main nation uses "Loch Ness Monster"; I doubt the game engine can detect that it is sea-based. :p
The Autocratic Freak Show of SchutteGod: Fun FAQs | UN Fairness and Equality Act (author) | WA Charter of Civil Rights (co-author)

DP Country
Envoy

Founded: Feb 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby DP Country » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Actually, I think it is great the way it is now, you can typenin what ever animal you want, you could even make up an animal.

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I was scrolling through the forums for exactly this. I think this is a fantastic idea.

Of the People, For the People

Ayaroko
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayaroko » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Dp Country wrote:

Actually, I think it is great the way it is now, you can typenin what ever animal you want, you could even make up an animal.

To clarify, this would /not/ override your national animal! You would simply be able to write in the name for it, and have a dropdown list that you could choose whether it was a swimming, flying, or walking animal!

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Game already keeps track of what animal should go where, or at least most of them. I'm 89% sure I've seen, more than once, an Admin fix an animal-location problem to avoid pelicans running in the woods.

At least on the Nation page, and (I think) a few issues, if memory serves correctly. Though there is no such system for fictional creatures.

EDIT: It works for common fantasy ones, just checked a puppet, Saarcadia, "Saarcadia's national animal is the Dragon, which can occasionally be seen dodging aircraft in the nation's cities."
Last edited by Valrifell on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Ayaroko wrote:This would allow people to use foreign words for animals.
I don't think that's something we want to encourage.

It's one thing to use a loanword of foreign origin to describe an animal that doesn't have a native English name, but then that makes it effectively an English word now.

But using a foreign word for an animal that has a perfectly serviceable English name just sounds pretentious, and most people would have no clue what it means.

Bruination
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruination » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Ayaroko wrote:This would allow people to use foreign words for animals.
I don't think that's something we want to encourage.

Consider that there are currently over 37,000 different national animals on NS, over 30,000 of which are unique (used by a single nation each). Another 20,000 nations have a national animal used by fewer than a dozen other nations. And a huge sum of these 50,000+ nations are using fictional words, foreign words, or simply words NS is unlikely to recognize as animals (people's names or inanimate objects seem fairly common) -- in other words, people are using their imaginations, as they do with the names of their nations, capital cities, leaders, and religions.

I would argue that NS either consistently does encourage the use of imagination in all of these fields, or it neither encourages nor discourages such. But taking the latter view: Given that foreign words (and fictional and non-animal words) are already fully allowed but neither encouraged nor discouraged, it's arguable that a drop-down list to set the land, sea, or air category would be perfectly able to do the same -- allow but neither encourage nor discourage.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical