NATION

PASSWORD

How do "native only" polls work?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Nationalist Gold Union
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

How do "native only" polls work?

Postby Nationalist Gold Union » Sat May 28, 2016 11:07 am

When you are creating a regional poll, there is a setting for "natives only," with the description reading "nations that possess more influence than any others."

What is that supposed to mean? What is determined as "more influence as anyone else?" Thanks.
Pro: Democracy, liberalism, equality, justice
Anti: Tyranny, demagoguery, bigotry

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 am

Nationalist Gold Union wrote:When you are creating a regional poll, there is a setting for "natives only," with the description reading "nations that possess more influence than any others."

What is that supposed to mean? What is determined as "more influence as anyone else?" Thanks.

Natives are nations where their highest influence is in the region with the poll.

For example:

- Examplestan has 100 influence in Region A and 20 influence in Region B.
- If Examplestan is in Region A and they make a poll, Examplestan is a "native".
- If Examplestan is in Region B and they make a poll, Examplestan is not a "native" because he has more influence in Region A than Region B, where he resides.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Nationalist Gold Union
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Gold Union » Sat May 28, 2016 11:28 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Nationalist Gold Union wrote:When you are creating a regional poll, there is a setting for "natives only," with the description reading "nations that possess more influence than any others."

Natives are nations where their highest influence is in the region with the poll.

For example:

- If Examplestan is in Region A and they make a poll, Examplestan is a "native".
- If Examplestan is in Region B and they make a poll, Examplestan is not a "native" because he has more influence in Region A than Region B, where he resides.

What about if someone creates a puppet and throws it in my region, would they be able to vote after a minuscule amount of time as they would have more influence in my region than the feeder they started in?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:For example:

Note that I am fairly sure Examplestan would still be able to vote in a "native-only" poll in Region A even if Examplestan is currently in Region B. If you don't want that behavior, then you need to set both the "native" and "resident" requirements separately (you can set as many or few requirements as you want).

Nationalist Gold Union wrote:What about if someone creates a puppet and throws it in my region, would they be able to vote after a minuscule amount of time as they would have more influence in my region than the feeder they started in?
Yup, that sounds accurate.

Of course, if people are willing to abuse puppets, that also makes it pretty easy to stuff the ballot with multiple votes, unless you set the poll to WA only (which can prevent some people from participating entirely, if they have no WA nation or their WA nation is in another region).

EDIT: You could get around the abuse you describe by setting the "influential" requirement, which requires nations to have a fixed minimum influence to vote (as opposed to looking at relative influence compared to other regions). However, the influence required is large enough to block out nations unless they're either in the WA or have been in your nation for multiple years.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nationalist Gold Union
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Gold Union » Sat May 28, 2016 11:40 am

UPDATE: Just tested with a puppet, spent about a minute in a feeder and about 7 minutes of time in APSIA. I could vote in the poll within that time.

I really wish we could just set custom requirements for polls, I.E. you must be in the region for a week.

Return to Technical